Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wait, did you just miss that people were pointing out that you missed the solution earlier...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ah yes, the “double down on it” strategy. It’s a bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for ‘em.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hey at least this one had a positive outcome, a lot better than the “exploding batteries are fine” triple down from a few weeks ago.

Edit: Eh, that may have been the Watch thread.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Violator posted:

Hey at least this one had a positive outcome, a lot better than the “exploding batteries are fine” triple down from a few weeks ago.

Edit: Eh, that may have been the Watch thread.
All you gotta do is super glue the screen back down so the expanding battery can’t pop the screen off again when you give it away to a friend!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That guy was going to turn an Apple Watch into a mini pipe bomb

For his friend to wear

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not fair to say, he wasn't adding any bb's to it.

It was more like an incendiary grenade.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

japtor posted:

All you gotta do is super glue the screen back down so the expanding battery can’t pop the screen off again when you give it away to a friend!

What page is this on

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

What page is this on
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3840039&pagenumber=98&perpage=40#post504735163

quote:

So I have a weird rear end question.

I have a series 1 aluminum Apple Watch that got the swollen battery issue. Of course, Apple wouldn't repair it, god forbid. I have a series 5 SS now, but I want to give this watch to a friend.

Well I reglued it with Gorilla Glue, and it seems stable but the watch computer itself seems super hosed up. I got the red/green snake of death, and now when I click the wheel, it makes what sounds like morse code (little beeps) and then says something insanely weird in mandarin. Is my old watch hosed?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So my wife has a meditation app on her iPhone but she wants to download the audio files separately because sometimes she wants to listen to them offline. The audio is embedded though, so I'm looking for an app that would either:

- record the audio as it plays, a la Audacity

or

- some webscraping type of thing that will go in and yoink the sound files for her

That last one seems kind of unlikely, but I admittedly don't know much about iOS. Any ideas? TIA

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

So my wife has a meditation app on her iPhone but she wants to download the audio files separately because sometimes she wants to listen to them offline. The audio is embedded though, so I'm looking for an app that would either:

- record the audio as it plays, a la Audacity

or

- some webscraping type of thing that will go in and yoink the sound files for her

That last one seems kind of unlikely, but I admittedly don't know much about iOS. Any ideas? TIA

The way I’d do this if you don’t have a computer with line in is with a screen recording (stock in iOS 13) and then export that to your computer and rip the audio out with Audacity (if it does that) or Da Vinci Resolve.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

The way I’d do this if you don’t have a computer with line in is with a screen recording (stock in iOS 13) and then export that to your computer and rip the audio out with Audacity (if it does that) or Da Vinci Resolve.

Excellent, thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We got a litter robot recently and we have yet to catch one of our two cats using the thing, is there by any chance a decent app i can throw on an ipad and point at the thing to record while we're at work? I see some options when i use google but i figure someone has a go to suggestion

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Len posted:

We got a litter robot recently and we have yet to catch one of our two cats using the thing, is there by any chance a decent app i can throw on an ipad and point at the thing to record while we're at work? I see some options when i use google but i figure someone has a go to suggestion

Doesn’t litter robot have their own app that lets you know when the cat enters/exits? Or do they sell versions without WiFi and I’m just spoiled?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

frogbs posted:

Doesn’t litter robot have their own app that lets you know when the cat enters/exits? Or do they sell versions without WiFi and I’m just spoiled?

We have two cats though, i know rear end in a top hat is using it i need to find out if Bean is using it

Violator
May 15, 2003

I used Motion Sensor by Code Cartel to find out which of my cats was using the litter box and which was peeing outside the litter box. Motion activated, saves to file services, etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m trying a spotify free month after going streaming free cancelling my apple music for a few months, but thought I’d try spotify this time. It’s pretty nice and I like how it has the pickup and resume type feature rdio had. Also the Sonos integration is much better than apple music’s.

However I am annoyed by having a ton of podcast recommendations right from the get go especially for garbage like joe rogan. Any way to turn off seeing that in the app? I use the built in iOS podcast app for my limited listening.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Nope. They're really promoting podcasts since they'll never make money by streaming music. I agree it's gotten really annoying but there's nothing you can do about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are you using premium? I don’t really get much in the way of podcast pushing. It has a little section on the home screen but I mirror less mentally filter it out. You could also try the stations app with is basically just the radio feature spun off into its own thing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

priznat posted:

I’m trying a spotify free month after going streaming free cancelling my apple music for a few months, but thought I’d try spotify this time. It’s pretty nice and I like how it has the pickup and resume type feature rdio had. Also the Sonos integration is much better than apple music’s.

However I am annoyed by having a ton of podcast recommendations right from the get go especially for garbage like joe rogan. Any way to turn off seeing that in the app? I use the built in iOS podcast app for my limited listening.

No. They have no immediate plans to implement that feature either.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

priznat posted:

no they will recommend that you listen to spotify exclusive podcasts brought to you by spotify for the rest of your life. enjoy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well that is a pretty big knock on choosing it over apple music imo. Thanks all!

Yeah this is the premium trial month I am doing. I’m really hoping apple does some kind of music/tv/news bundle to be announced at the next iphone reveal. I think there were some rumours.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

priznat posted:

Well that is a pretty big knock on choosing it over apple music imo. Thanks all!

Yeah this is the premium trial month I am doing. I’m really hoping apple does some kind of music/tv/news bundle to be announced at the next iphone reveal. I think there were some rumours.

Spotify's discovery is the best of the bunch, but Apple's is getting "better". YouTube Music isn't terrible, it has some nice features, especially now that you can upload your own tracks to round out your personal catalogue.

Amazon Music is trash.

Deezer is trash.

Pandora Premium is trash, but may still have hope since it was built on the rubble of Rdio.

Tidal's service and discovery are both pretty good, but man, they shove hip-hop in your face the same way Spotify does with podcasts.

Qobuz has the best audio quality.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

even apart from the ads spotify is a pretty bad podcast player. there's no batch management (can't mark multiple episodes as played, for example--only one at a time, and only on mobile, not desktop), the progress syncing can be flaky, and it doesn't remember your setting to show all episodes or only unplayed episodes (defaults to all episodes every time)

the music library feature is bad now too. it used to work pretty much like itunes where you would add an album or song or something and it would be indexed in artists, albums, and songs, but now you have to maintain separate lists of saved albums, followed artists, and liked songs, and at some point recently they decided that alphabetical sorting is for suckers, i guess, because if you have a bunch of albums by a particular artist, the album view just sort of throws them in a random order

i go back to spotify every few months because i don't really like apple music either and spotify has some features that i appreciate, but it seems like they're constantly falling down on basic poo poo like the above and breaking stuff that previously worked fine. it's "agile development" done extraordinarily poorly

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

priznat posted:

Well, if you’ve been off Apple Music for a few months ... it’s changed. The radio part in particular, but kind of all over.

I mean it’s gotten worse, IMO.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well, if you’ve been off Apple Music for a few months ... it’s changed. The radio part in particular, but kind of all over.

I mean it’s gotten worse, IMO.

Dammit! Why does everything gotta suck.

I actually moved over to Plex/PlexAmp for a bit but I miss not having new music discovery and not being able to just listen to whatever. My saved music library has a very “trapped in amber at a specific time” feel to it.

Good roundup of the other streaming services above too, thanks for that!

Kinda wish iTunes Match was still a thing but that seemed to just disappear. E: oh weird apparently it does still exist??

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like once you get a feel for where things are in spotify it's easy to ignore the stuff you're not interested in. I personally think dealing with that is worth it for the benefits.

Then again I'm a sucker that is paying for spotify premium when since March I have mainly just been using Overcast.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

priznat posted:

Dammit! Why does everything gotta suck.

I actually moved over to Plex/PlexAmp for a bit but I miss not having new music discovery and not being able to just listen to whatever. My saved music library has a very “trapped in amber at a specific time” feel to it.

Good roundup of the other streaming services above too, thanks for that!

Kinda wish iTunes Match was still a thing but that seemed to just disappear. E: oh weird apparently it does still exist??

I think iTunes match is gone as a separate thing but it's always been baked in as a feature in Apple music.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think iTunes match is gone as a separate thing but it's always been baked in as a feature in Apple music.
It still exists as of May 21.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have Match and haven't received anything about saying it's going away or anything.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

My saved music library has a very “trapped in amber at a specific time” feel to it.

This perfectly sums up my music habits and I'm happy with it, so I'll be keeping iTunes Match for as long as it's still a thing rather than paying monthly for streaming services.

One of my favourite podcasts (Besties) moved to Spotify, but I'm not keeping a separate app on my phone for one piece of content when all my others live in a proper podcast player. I get that there's funding behind their decision to go to Spotify and I can't blame them, just a shame it's the only option. I would've paid for a Patreon if I could get it in my regular player.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
most podcast patreon setups have a private rss feed you can use in overcast or whatnot

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not Spotify podcasts though, those are all exclusive deals when they move. Only available through Spotify.

edit: maybe not, I see Last Podcast On The Left still has a Patreon feed.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 12, 2020

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Speaking of Apple Music’s discovery, my New Music playlist stopped updating a while back. Anyone else have this happen?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just FYI, if you have an Amex card you can get a free year subscription for the Calm meditation app. You’ll need to log onto the website and look in the offers (it’ll be like the 2nd offer) because it doesn’t show up in the Amex app. You’ll need to give it your Amex card number but it won’t charge you for a year and I just cancelled the subscription in the Calm app and still have access until 2021.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 13, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

cryptoclastic posted:

Speaking of Apple Music’s discovery, my New Music playlist stopped updating a while back. Anyone else have this happen?
Doesn’t look like it. It updates on Fridays.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The most optimal solution to this debacle is to stop listening to podcasts! I quit completely once I stopped commuting due to lockdown and I haven’t missed a single second of it.

I’ll stick to using Spotify because it works across the largest number of devices in my house.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m hoping the rumoured apple services bundle is a good deal when it gets announced perhaps on Tuesday, I kind of like news+ but definitely not enough to pay for it on its own, ditto tv and apple arcade. If they have a bundle of music/news/tv/arcade and more storage (options of 200GB or 2TB are just stupid) for a decent price I am all over that.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I can't get the Books app to actually see the audiobooks I've marked in iTunes and imported, despite iTunes showing they're on the device. Is there a recommended alternative for listening to audiobooks outside of Audible?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

nessin posted:

I can't get the Books app to actually see the audiobooks I've marked in iTunes and imported, despite iTunes showing they're on the device. Is there a recommended alternative for listening to audiobooks outside of Audible?

Bound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for apps for tracking physio exercises?

I have Strong for normal exercises and I was thinking of just using that but wondering if there’s anything super good instead.