Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣 they make the card that *exiles* Time Raveler , the Uro in play, and the Uro in the graveyard, all at the same time, at once, but apparently it needed to give blowjobs and improve credit scores too!! 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Lmao if you think this card ever resolves against a Teferi deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣 they make the card that *exiles* Time Raveler , the Uro in play, and the Uro in the graveyard, all at the same time, at once, but apparently it needed to give blowjobs and improve credit scores too!! 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

You’re unironically correct OFS and it is one of the chief problems with design in the last 3 years lol

(Here is a hint: all of the cards you are talking about have replaced themselves or provided card advantage, which leaves you, the player of the removal, at a card ____________)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is why i only put uncounterable spells in my decks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well for once I'm caught up with the thread when posts like these are coming down so hey guys:

you know you can totally go "hmm I see that you think this card is great but based on X, Y, and Z I think it isn't so great" or "I would politely differ, friends, I feel like given it could do A B and C, maybe it's a good card though" and similarly not try and wheelslam down a super-aggro shitpost about how your MTG: The Thread enemies are just insanely stupid and driving you to howling laughter by their mega-wrong take?

I know there's a long history of this stuff in the thread but I am trying to help you guys gradually change the thread culture. Because my alternative is that the mods push me to just hand out sixers and I would rather not do that.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Nullpriest of Oblivion is loving busted. Nutter butter.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Well for once I'm caught up with the thread when posts like these are coming down so hey guys:

you know you can totally go "hmm I see that you think this card is great but based on X, Y, and Z I think it isn't so great" or "I would politely differ, friends, I feel like given it could do A B and C, maybe it's a good card though" and similarly not try and wheelslam down a super-aggro shitpost about how your MTG: The Thread enemies are just insanely stupid and driving you to howling laughter by their mega-wrong take?

I know there's a long history of this stuff in the thread but I am trying to help you guys gradually change the thread culture. Because my alternative is that the mods push me to just hand out sixers and I would rather not do that.

When did this happen? I feel like this Spoiler season has been pretty mellow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LifeLynx posted:

Adorable, and a pretty good limited card!

mcmagic posted:

Making a 2/2 every turn might be a playable effect in a powered down standard. This is something to keep an eye on.

Retreat to Emeria was already a very good card, even without building around. This seems bonkers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

You’re unironically correct OFS and it is one of the chief problems with design in the last 3 years lol

Making the removal as insane would just make the world more hellish, not fix it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Pathway flip lands are confusing me so I made a list of how many pathways can be played in each shard and wedge.

Bant (WUG): 1
Esper (WUB): 2
Grixis (UBR): 2
Jund (BRG): 1
Naya (RGW): 3

Abzan/Junk (WBG): 2
Jeskai/America (WUR): 2
Sultai (BUG): 1
Mardu/Kaalia (WBR): 2
Temur (RUG): 2

So if there's an aggressive three-colour deck, it might have a small advantage being Naya.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Arsonist doesn't have the upside. There's clearly a RW or RW/x equipment deck being seeded in this set. It doesn't take much to push a one drop from unplayable to very good. I'm not saying it will be the next Thraben Inspector, but one drops are among the hardest to predict for constructed.

none of the thus-spoiled equipment looks especially playable and this is fighting for space with Javier and Red Steppe Lynx at 1 in red, it'd take a LOT of work for this to be playable, and it's def not an analogue for Mogg Fanatic as originally stated

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nullpriest of Oblivion is loving busted. Nutter butter.

Vampires have needed some good two drops for a long time. This fits without even the kicker. The kicker is just beautiful. The black mythic land also is making my pants go crazy.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'd say Dusk Legion Zealot if you still have them, then Id experiment replacing Gifted Atherborn, see if it's better than being defensive. Late game getting a Champion of Dusk back seems great.

Aetherborn is too much value to drop, even if casting it is a pain in the Orzhov vamps deck. Seems like you'd keep Aetherborn and run this guy as a 4 of in addition.

Sickening posted:

The black mythic land also is making my pants go crazy.

It does seem like the one most like to get broken in half.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Vampires have needed some good two drops for a long time. This fits without even the kicker. The kicker is just beautiful. The black mythic land also is making my pants go crazy.

Yeah seriously, this thing is a cross-format whirlwind slam. Exactly what generic black aggressive decks AND vampire tribal have been waiting for for years. I will put many Demonic Embraces on many Nullpriests for the next year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

America is sultai you philistine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

When did this happen? I feel like this Spoiler season has been pretty mellow.

Maybe some of you guys are so used to the aggro posts that they don't even seem abnormal I guess.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Excellent alter i found in city name magic scene fb group:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe some of you guys are so used to the aggro posts that they don't even seem abnormal I guess.

Seems like a cop-out answer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Leperflesh posted:

It might be that a little bit. It also may be that you are a tad sensitive. This spoiler season is as mellow as its ever been.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Seems like a cop-out answer.

Lmao mod comes in to politely ask to knock off the bullying and you bully them

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao mod comes in to politely ask to knock off the bullying and you bully them

lol I think I might have figured out who has been reporting all the “aggro” posts in this thread. In what universe is that bullying?

I think asking for concrete examples of bad posting is a reasonable request considering how not-insane the thread has been recently, and the hyperbolic example in their post doesn’t clear anything up.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 8, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How many of each class would be needed to fill a party by turn 3? What about a decklist like this?

One mana:
2 Fireblade Charger (Warrior)
4 Wildwood Tracker (Warrior)
4 Archpriest of Iona (Cleric)
2 Kitesail Cleric (Cleric)
4 Tajuru Blightblade (Rogue)
2 Sneaking Guide (Rogue)

Two mana:
4 Tajuru Blightblade (Multiclass)
2 Fissure Wizard (Wizard)

Payoffs:
4 Tazri
4 Winota, Joiner of Forces
4 Veteran Adventurer

4 RG pathway
4 RW pathway
4 GW pathway
4 WB pathway
2 RU pathway
6 G forest

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

fadam posted:

I think asking for concrete examples of bad posting is a reasonable request considering how not-insane the thread has been recently, and the hyperbolic example in their post doesn’t clear anything up.

Here's you posting about this behavior 5 days ago. (the post you replied to was spicy, not your reply)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BioThermo posted:

Here's you posting about this behavior 5 days ago. (the post you replied to was spicy, not your reply)

lol I think TKoS is a crybaby and half the time they post in this thread it's complaining about the game or the players or the posters in this thread, but I don't think anything they've posted deserves moderation, and none of their posts really match what Leperflesh was talking about.

I'll fully admit that this thread is pretty raucous a lot of the time and people are unnecessarily bitchy toward each other, but idk I feel like for the past few weeks the thread has been substantially better than it has been and I don't really know where these complaints about "aggro" posts are coming from.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

This is why control posts need Cyclonic Rift back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I didn’t notice anything because I put all those posters on ignore back in like, April.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I didn’t notice anything because I put all those posters on ignore back in like, April.

thank you for not putting me on ignore

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would never! I like to RP that you were only just recently found in a cave in Alberta, and they thawed you out and taught you to play magic and basketball, and that your avatar is your face

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's no point in ignoring anyone because all the big angry dummies in this thread will inevitably get quoted with angry retorts and thus making the flow of the thread either unreadable or almost completely unchanged.

Also, new 2 drop vamp is cool.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'd love to hear about the decks you guys are planning to build in the new Standard. Is anyone else working on a Party deck and have some insights for me? With Rakdos Sac rotating out, will big creature decks become more viable? Will mono-red be just as strong without Runaway Steamkin?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

honestly you should just start handing out probes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I would never! I like to RP that you were only just recently found in a cave in Alberta, and they thawed you out and taught you to play magic and basketball, and that your avatar is your face

That's all accurate

Chamale posted:

I'd love to hear about the decks you guys are planning to build in the new Standard. Is anyone else working on a Party deck and have some insights for me? With Rakdos Sac rotating out, will big creature decks become more viable? Will mono-red be just as strong without Runaway Steamkin?

Party is a cool mechanic but I think it's probably too fiddly to be a meaningful constructed mechanic.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Two relevant creature types and all those abilities. I wonder at what point they had a 2/1 Lifelink zombify on a stick and they thought it needed Menace to make sure it was constructed playable.

fadam posted:

Party is a cool mechanic but I think it's probably too fiddly to be a meaningful constructed mechanic.

I don't know, have you seen some of the creatures they are printing at relevant types?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I don't know, have you seen some of the creatures they are printing at relevant types?
They are printing plenty of creatures of relevant types, but I have yet to see a good enough payoff card that cares about party members/full parties.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, there's a lot of cool new and old guys who happen to be party types, I'm just not convinced the best place to run them is going to be in a shell that uses the party mechanic.

Too be clear I've done zero testing and I'm just speculating, but it feels like Mutate to me where there's a handful of cool cards that use the mechanic but they're almost never going to be in lists that focus on it.

I'd love to be wrong because I think the mechanic is rad. It feels hard enough to keep four random cards alive for an extended period of time, but having four distinct, specific creatures alive simultaneously is a tough sell in a format with very playable removal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The central mechanic of your deck is having four creatures in play and then casting another spell to get value off of it. that’s about two more hoops that any of the other decks are going to need to jump through. I foresee situations in which Wynota accidentally generates a full party and really nothing outside of that corner case

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is easily the chillest spoiler season.
We have finally beaten each other down enough; now we can build each other back up.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A constructed strategy of "I need to get four creatures in play and THEN something good is going to happen" is just begging to get demolished by sweepers.

Like by turn 6 a good deck is going to be casting Ugin.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

A constructed strategy of "I need to get four creatures in play and THEN something good is going to happen" is just begging to get demolished by sweepers.

Like by turn 6 a good deck is going to be casting Ugin.

Them printing Ugin back into Standard is easily one of the dumbest things they have done recently.
Nothing screams a slower format where you can play some more interesting cards like I reset the game, while my game winning card stays on board.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

While it's true that this is pretty tame for the magic thread, it's even more true that:

dragon enthusiast posted:

honestly you should just start handing out probes

"Tame for the magic thread" wouldn't fly basically anywhere else, and I don't think anyone actually enjoys the tone of this thread, more enured to it.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

spawn of mayhem and his friends are rotating, but i wonder if there will be enough cards for a good mono black or RB aggro deck in standard. you can play this vampire, the new bloodghast, rankle, the new vampire nighthawk, agonizing remorse and cling to dust do deal with uro, stuff like that.