Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Mystic Stylez posted:

:actually: the Bills will win their division and it won't be close

I know it's the Bills we are talking about, but still
It feels weird and somehow forbidden.
I expect the Bills to Bills it up. They'll probably get chumped by some garbage team(like, watch the Bills be in the middle of a seeding fight and go and lose to the Cardinals, Dolphins, or Jets). They're also guaranteed to get absolutely humiliated by the Patriots at least once. And then they'll play the Chiefs or 49ers really close somehow and maybe randomly shithouse some team like the Seahawks in a completely non-replicable way.

In any case, with Josh Allen having an approximately 25% chance of fumbling on any given play, it will never be boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Cam was really cool and good before he got injured a lot. That 2015 offense was awesome. He was never the most accurate but his ability to truck LBs made everyone play their safeties up against him for gang tackling. Cam was like I have an amazing cannon arm so who cares about my lovely accuracy I'm just going to go over the top a lot. Then everyone started playing back on him and letting people light him up just go wear him out and well...

To praise him he started learning to deal with this. It'll be interesting to see if he continues on the path of being a good to great WCO passer after the injuries. It's just a shame he spent most if not all of his career as a one read bomber.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bucs signed Rosen. I like this

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

No one carries team/league water like RapSheet.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

I am not plugged into this scene but I feel like it's bigger this year. Maybe pandemic related since more people are playing, maybe just tired of years of not having a franchise mode update or whatever? Or maybe just me paying more attention.

As a person who hasn't played in a while I've enjoyed the buggy videos at least.

Maybe. I suspect the pandemic has more people interested, and may account for more glitches if they didn’t have time to iron them out.

But yeah, glitches or insane poo poo like that is nothing new. In the last decade or so, they’ve had stuff like:

- Running backs gaining between 2,500 and 3,000 yards rushing per season for every team in franchise (Madden 09 or 10? That era).
- Inability to use custom playbooks in franchise, meaning you could only use the pre-made team specific or generic ones (I think this occurred the year the made a big deal about bringing back the custom playbooks too).
- Unable to edit player uniform numbers, and every newly signed/drafted player getting a captain patch on their jersey.
- Incorrect or missing uniforms: I remember this I think from Madden 13 or whatever the first year that had Andrew Luck and the 2012 draft class. For example, the Bears had some away uniform with orange pants as their default away and you couldn’t select anything else for them. A few other teams had similar issues.

Granted, a lot of those were patched out, and I think a few were day one patches even that you’d only encounter if you didn’t/couldn’t update the game at release. But that’s not even touching on the annual parade of broken plays, both in the sense of a play that idiots online will run 90% of the time because the CPU can’t guard it, or it will fail 90% of the time because the game is broken and it can’t be executed properly. For the latter, I know there have multiple been years were certain types of running plays (Usually zone blocking stuff) always result in a loss of yardage because the lineman blocking mechanics didn’t work properly. That was a big issue during the era when custom playbooks were out of the game, so some teams (Like the Peyton Manning Colts, for example) would have almost all of their running plays aside from a few dives be useless, even if you had every lineman be 99 OVR and a 99 OVR RB.

Madden has always had issues, and while I’d like to see them fixed, I think every version of the game will always have some stupidity to it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Browns and the guy they signed that assaulted a woman get rewarded!

The woman? Not so much.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
*fondly reminisces about Michael Vick in Madden '04*

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Professor Funk posted:

*fondly reminisces about QB Eagles in Tecmo Super Bowl on NES*

:thurman:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1303351463737991169

ESPN this is when you quietly scrap your metric

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1303401174830325762

Somewhere Pace and Nagy are having a mental breakdown

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The video game equivalent of painting Black Lives Matter in rainbow paint colors on a street

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1303398100271325184

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalli posted:

The video game equivalent of painting Black Lives Matter in rainbow paint colors on a street

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1303398100271325184

he has a signature celebration though??? And people literally called it Kaepernicking

Madden 21 has BLM flags lol

edit:
official depth charts aren't real exhibit 50,000

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 8, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
"We want you to defund the police."

"We hear you, and we painted black lives matter on the street."

"OK but we want you to defund the police"

"We hear you, and we're raising police budgets."

"Ok, but - wait, what?"

"We hear you, Kap's back in Madden and we have a prosecutor as our VP."

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Eifert Posting posted:

"We want you to defund the police."

"We hear you, and we painted black lives matter on the street."

"OK but we want you to defund the police"

"We hear you, and we're raising police budgets."

"Ok, but - wait, what?"

Literally happened here. They cut education and the FD budgets and gave the money to the cops to avoid increasing taxes. The cherry on top was the PD had 40 open positions before protests broke out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It happened in a lot of states as the protests are happening

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Spoeank posted:

I mean it's not in itself a bad metric, it's more you're misusing it as clickbait if you're trying you say that the % of tackles < 3 yards of the LOS means he's an average run defender.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

If you want something fun, here's Bryan Burke trying to explain himself using two plays.

A draw and a zone run where Donald penetrates so thoroughly that the runner has to cut back then squeezes past a linebacker's gently caress up.

https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/1303384685423325184

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hot Diggity! posted:

Lmao somehow Trubisky is better than all of those QBs in Madden. Garbage game.

For some reason Trubs isn't listed in that list, but he (and Daniel Jones) have a 71, thank god

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

seiferguy posted:

For some reason Trubs isn't listed in that list, but he (and Daniel Jones) have a 71, thank god

The reason Trubs isn't on that list is it'd be shocking if Kaep wasn't rated higher

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

That's a relief!

Game still bad tho.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

If you want something fun, here's Bryan Burke trying to explain himself using two plays.

A draw and a zone run where Donald penetrates so thoroughly that the runner has to cut back then squeezes past a linebacker's gently caress up.

https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/1303384685423325184

Is he supposed to be one gapping or two gapping here? If he’s one gapping he’s blowing poo poo up and someone else is getting beat badly. If he’s two gapping he’s over pursuing.

I don’t really know LA’s scheme but I thought they were running some variant of a 4-3 and I’d assume Donald is primarily attacking a single gap instead of being a space eater. If so, he looks pretty good in those clips.

Or maybe I’m full of poo poo idk!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

To praise him he started learning to deal with this. It'll be interesting to see if he continues on the path of being a good to great WCO passer after the injuries. It's just a shame he spent most if not all of his career as a one read bomber.

i know you'e always been really complimentary about how Cam was looking in 2018 before he got hurt, but I actually went back and rewatched that season before the Watt hit and I think it was more defenses hadn't figured out he couldn't throw it deep yet.

His deep ball still looked off in the first half of 2018 when he attempted it, which was rare, and the stuff within 15 yards was him taking what defense was still giving him. I think in the second half defenses would have figured out he couldn't throw deep anymore and would have taken those throws away.

then obviously in 2019 he couldn't throw the ball at all.

I dunno, whether or not Cam is healthy now is irrelevant. There's too many critical points in the throwing motion now. Whether it's the shoulder, ankle, or foot, I don't know how he can take a hit at all.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

fartknocker posted:

Maybe. I suspect the pandemic has more people interested, and may account for more glitches if they didn’t have time to iron them out.

But yeah, glitches or insane poo poo like that is nothing new. In the last decade or so, they’ve had stuff like:

- Running backs gaining between 2,500 and 3,000 yards rushing per season for every team in franchise (Madden 09 or 10? That era).
- Inability to use custom playbooks in franchise, meaning you could only use the pre-made team specific or generic ones (I think this occurred the year the made a big deal about bringing back the custom playbooks too).
- Unable to edit player uniform numbers, and every newly signed/drafted player getting a captain patch on their jersey.
- Incorrect or missing uniforms: I remember this I think from Madden 13 or whatever the first year that had Andrew Luck and the 2012 draft class. For example, the Bears had some away uniform with orange pants as their default away and you couldn’t select anything else for them. A few other teams had similar issues.

Granted, a lot of those were patched out, and I think a few were day one patches even that you’d only encounter if you didn’t/couldn’t update the game at release. But that’s not even touching on the annual parade of broken plays, both in the sense of a play that idiots online will run 90% of the time because the CPU can’t guard it, or it will fail 90% of the time because the game is broken and it can’t be executed properly. For the latter, I know there have multiple been years were certain types of running plays (Usually zone blocking stuff) always result in a loss of yardage because the lineman blocking mechanics didn’t work properly. That was a big issue during the era when custom playbooks were out of the game, so some teams (Like the Peyton Manning Colts, for example) would have almost all of their running plays aside from a few dives be useless, even if you had every lineman be 99 OVR and a 99 OVR RB.

Madden has always had issues, and while I’d like to see them fixed, I think every version of the game will always have some stupidity to it.

Question from a dude who has never owned a madden game: is it not the same engine they're running it on for multiple years? If it's the same engine I don't see how it could get randomly buggy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/1303416089934786563

lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Big Jesus posted:

Question from a dude who has never owned a madden game: is it not the same engine they're running it on for multiple years? If it's the same engine I don't see how it could get randomly buggy.

Super short version is every game engine is a pile of messy sacrifices coded by a bunch of geniuses and a bunch of monkeys, are too large for anybody to have a clear picture of everything that's going on, and made out of 90% unfinished implementations of incorrect assumptions in a design document somewhere.

Then you keep using that engine and grafting more things to it. You have 1200 open bugs from the previous release and the new version needs to add in a bunch of new functions each of which you have no idea how they'll interact with those existing bugs and straight up contradict the assumptions from the original design.

And that's a normal situation, in Madden's case, they're using the Frostbite engine, which was originally developed to be used for the Battlefield FPS games, so all the sports stuff is hacks on top of hacks on top of hacks, and changing anything causes a house of cards to crumble.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
To add on to that, Madden’s engine has changed over the years. Madden 18 was the first of the series to use Frostbite, and as I understand it their previous one underwent changes when the last console generation hit, which IIRC Madden 15 was the first designed for those.

Glitches come and go basically the same as features. I mentioned the issue with custom playbooks and it offers a good example. The ability to create custom playbooks goes back to the N64 games, and was present until around Madden 05. It was the among the features split off the the NFL Head Coach games, of which there was one in 2006 and another in 2009, and wasn’t added back to Madden proper until 2011 or so. Since then, it’s had issues off and on where it couldn’t be used in franchise mode, some plays can’t be added or removed, or some can’t be set as audibles (This I know was still a problem in Madden 20). The well known Jet Chip Wasp play the last Super Bowl was added in the last update to Madden 20 in the spring, but IIRC it can only be used in their pre-set “live” playbooks, and can’t be added to custom ones.

And that’s just one aspect of the game. Note that not all those glitches happened at the same time or in the same game, but you’d think it’d be fairly easy to set and use a loving playbook since Tecmo, 2K, and older versions of Madden did it without nearly all those issues from the last decade.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Do all the FIFA EA games suffer from the same problems?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Do all the FIFA EA games suffer from the same problems?

I don’t know about FIFA, but the EA NHL games have some similar issues. The big one is the cycle of adding features, removing them, then added a lesser version back a few years later.

However, the EA NHL series on the 360 generation of consoles, up to NHL 14, were excellent. They still had the old ESPN announcers Gary Thorne and Bill Clement, and included a lot of features that had been stripped from Madden like the full Superstar mode (Including interviews and sponsorships!). While Madden even then was being criticized for issues, those games were still pretty well received. Sadly, the versions on the current generation have seen similar slips in quality and features being removed, just like Madden.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

lmao speaking of Madden

https://twitter.com/trashtaeks/status/1303426915185782784

HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Madden chat made me look up my favorite madden rant. This was from 16:

before Ehud asks I bought the copy used posted:

I felt like laughing so I took a Franchise mode new game and simmed ten years to see the draftclasses.

Some of the highlights:
Only 5 created corners with higher than 84 overall, and the highest were three at 88. By contrast there are 6 real corners over 90.

Several positions where one team would have one player sub 70 overall and another has six deep. This is positions like DE and LOLB, Raiders have 6 LEs, Pats have one 62 OVR LE.

11 teams don't have an LOLB above 70 overall.
Broncos have 6 DTs, 6 DEs and seven offensive linemen.

The Chargers don't have a center. It's week one. Even counting that only 5 teams don't have a C rated at least 85

No team has a #1 LT rated lower than 80

Most teams have 4 QBs. There isn't a single QB over 90.

The Bengals have 4 QBs, 8 WRs, 4 LTs, two safeties (not two of each, 2) and 5 linebackers.

18 teams have no kicker, 4 teams have 2.

Teams that have decided they don't need a kicker or punter: Bills, Browns, Buccs, Cards, Fins, Falcons, Skins, Titans.

Brandon McManus: 3rd highest rated player in the league.

Totally a legitimate game mode, guys. Not an afterthought at all.

I think I'll start one up online and sim with all the exp sliders maxed and see how much of a difference it makes, this is fascinating.

Edit, with 300% sliders there are still only 5 90 or better wide receivers in the league. all the same issues are here as well, Linebackers are still rated incredibly low.

Hahaha I simmed a game and the Bengals QB is 57th in the NFL in passing yards. I have to check this out.

Ehrmagerd, every team played two QBs, and some even played three. Does the CPU think it's still the preseason?

The Titans have forced 10 turnovers in their first game. no team has allowed ten turnovers, wtf?

Only 21 players in the league earned a half sack or better in one game.

In ten years only two people placed in the top ten on all NFL single game records. Blake Bortles owns season passing yards and passing TDs but all other season records are untouched.

Haha, every Olineman starter on the Bengals has 99 RB, PB and awareness. Linebackers on pretty much every team are still poo poo.

To be fair, it's better than that now!

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 8, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Blake Bortles owns season passing yards and passing TDs but all other season records are untouched.

not sure why you included that, it's realistic enough

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Looks like it went through a "get up and celebrate" animation while some check to stop the player's momentum upon getting tackled failed, causing the animation to collide with the ground then freeze up the player because at that point the game has no idea what the gently caress to do with him anymore.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

lmao speaking of Madden

https://twitter.com/trashtaeks/status/1303426915185782784

HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN

classic fencing response

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Chinatown posted:

classic fencing dabbing response

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chinatown posted:

classic fencing response

scooting his bhole on the ground like a dog then dabbing

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hot Diggity! posted:

scooting his bhole on the ground like a dog then dabbing
how do i explain that to my 9-year-old daughter?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Better Than You posted:

“Don’t knock it till you try it.”

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Better Than You posted:

Also, would you like a PR rep? I'm very experienced!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Odell learned it from Eli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
OBJ's teammates getting in on it.

https://twitter.com/clevezirm/status/1303442409280491524?s=19