Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Leal posted:

Cat knows my car and comes to greet me

https://i.imgur.com/bLWW0Rc.mp4

He's also getting pretty big, like I need to give him more food :|

Good GIF, great cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Codeacious posted:

Good GIF, great cat

I watched it for an embarrassing number of times before realizing it was just one cat

Then watched it more and imagined infinity cats

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

DarkHorse posted:

I watched it for an embarrassing number of times before realizing it was just one cat

Then watched it more and imagined infinity cats

:same:

In other news, I successfully gave the kittens a bath (dander control purposes for my allergic husband) and it went far better than I thought (still haven’t been murdered in my sleep). They didn’t like standing in the water but gave no fucks about me pouring water over them. I think it helped a lot that I made sure the water was cat body temp. Also fed them some sardines afterwards.

Trimming their claws (which were starting to get snagged in pretty uncomfortable-looking ways when they played) was a lot worse.

Husband’s allergies have been acting up a bit, but I think the bath helped a bit, and we’re going to have to get in the habit of vacuuming WAY more often than we have in the past (like every other day instead of once every week or so). At least this new vacuum is super good and satisfying to use - old one was useless to the point that taking the rugs outside and beating them with a broom was a more effective way to clean them than vacuuming.

I’m really hoping husband adjusts to these kitties. :ohdear: If not, he’s willing to try immunotherapy.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I heartily recommend immunotherapy, worked for me!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Queen Victorian posted:

:same:

In other news, I successfully gave the kittens a bath (dander control purposes for my allergic husband) and it went far better than I thought (still haven’t been murdered in my sleep). They didn’t like standing in the water but gave no fucks about me pouring water over them. I think it helped a lot that I made sure the water was cat body temp. Also fed them some sardines afterwards.

Trimming their claws (which were starting to get snagged in pretty uncomfortable-looking ways when they played) was a lot worse.

Husband’s allergies have been acting up a bit, but I think the bath helped a bit, and we’re going to have to get in the habit of vacuuming WAY more often than we have in the past (like every other day instead of once every week or so). At least this new vacuum is super good and satisfying to use - old one was useless to the point that taking the rugs outside and beating them with a broom was a more effective way to clean them than vacuuming.

I’m really hoping husband adjusts to these kitties. :ohdear: If not, he’s willing to try immunotherapy.

Things to do:
  • Keep his sleeping area kitty-free. Door's always closed, no cats allowed in, ever.
  • Frequent vacuuming, like you're already doing. Roombas or other robotic vacuums can also help
  • Food changes can sometimes reduce dander. I actually think it's cat saliva that tends to aggravate allergies, since they groom themselves so much.
  • If you can get the cats to like baths, even better. High-value rewards after baths are definitely a good way.

Same for claw trimming - if they're still kittens get them used to handling their paws, only do a few at a time while they're still tolerant of it, and stuff their face full of high value treats the whole time and afterwards. Mine really love Temptations, but whatever treat they would murder you for will work.

poolside toaster posted:

I heartily recommend immunotherapy, worked for me!

This as well. I got shots as a kid and it made me go from hives and anaphylactic shock to occasionally getting sniffles, depending on the cat. I've definitely gotten mostly used to mine.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Double post because :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

All these pictures... :kimchi:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

DarkHorse posted:

Double post because :kimchi:

omg :3:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I pulled the trigger and adopted the cat I posted a picture of. He's a beautiful ginger 2 year-old domestic short-haired mixed breed and boy does he like to talk. I initially kept him in one of the rooms of my apartment as the staff at the humane society recommended but he kept following me and clearly wanted to be around me so I let him out. I decided it was best to go with whatever made him comfortable and he even spent some time in my bed last night.

My issue is that he won't stop talking or being underfoot. I understand he's probably suffered some trauma having been in a fight and on the streets before being picked up. I want to be sympathetic and understanding but can't be there to constantly reassure him, even when I'm home as I need to work. I had hoped that he would be providing me with emotional support or we'd be providing each other with it at least but so far that's not the case.

I give him the option to come up on the couch and hang out with me but he doesn't seem to get the message sometimes. Right now he seems to be going back and forth between the living room and the room where I setup all his stuff, he cries at me and then goes back.

I have made sure his litter box is clean, he is fed per directions from the humane society, has a scratching post, cat tree, bed, some balls to play with, two water bowls.

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour based on the circumstances and if I can expect it to change over time. Sorry if I come off as an insensitive rear end in a top hat, I do love the guy and want to do what I can for him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty normal for a cat to be anxious in a new space. Just give him some time. He'll settle down and figure things out as time goes on.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah my cat was super clingy the first few days she was here, and freaked out when she lost sight of us. She chilled out after a while.

Moving is really stressful for a cat, they don't understand why they're now in a different place where everything smells wrong and nothing is familiar. In a way, it's really sweet that our cats choose to cling to us as a comfort. Some cats spend the first days hiding from people and hissing when anyone comes near.

So I wouldn't worry about it for the first week or so. Ideally you'd have the first day or two free to help the cat adjust, but he'll get it eventually.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

pidan posted:

Yeah my cat was super clingy the first few days she was here, and freaked out when she lost sight of us. She chilled out after a while.

Moving is really stressful for a cat, they don't understand why they're now in a different place where everything smells wrong and nothing is familiar. In a way, it's really sweet that our cats choose to cling to us as a comfort. Some cats spend the first days hiding from people and hissing when anyone comes near.

So I wouldn't worry about it for the first week or so. Ideally you'd have the first day or two free to help the cat adjust, but he'll get it eventually.

Yeah. I had to move because of corona a while back, and my cat moved a few days before me. Before I got there, she basically refused to come out from under the bed and was super skittish. The moment I walked in, she was unbelievably excited to see me and basically didn't leave my side for the next few days.

As long as he's poopin where he's supposed to, he should be a perfectly happy cat once he adjusts

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cats who have been through trauma can have some traits burnt into them that are hard/impossible to ever get them through though. Usually things like "super defensive but it looks like they're aggressive" cats or the "scared shitless of everyone lives under the beds" cats. Grew up with a cat, Nipples, who was the former and had come from a crazy cat barn with way too many cats. So I think she learned she had to be aggressive to get food in that situation. Then another cat, Jade, who was the latter. She was abused so it was obvious why she ended up that way.

Now one of my aunts adopted another abused cat, and it's looking like shes going to be another Jade situation.
But that's just how it goes sometimes, it's not their fault.

I guess what I'm saying is, if I had to bet on him getting over it I would. Mostly because needy cats like that are just a normal thing, even without any trauma. But if it is because of trauma, who knows.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Funnily enough, it took me like a month before my two emerged from under my bed, when I first got them. Now James follows me around like a dog much of the time, and almost always does the slow-blink thing back when I do it at him.

I love my shoutycat :3:

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
We finally got into our cats regular vet and when taking a urinal sample they noticed it was red tinged and after a radiograph found a stone that'll need surgery.

At least we have an explanation for her crazy behavior change, poor girl was in pain and hiding it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks guys, Hemingway is a great cat, the following me around and crying for attention isn't all that bad either. I think just like he needs to get used to his new home I need to get used to having a new roommate with their own idiosyncrasies. He spent some time with me in bed again last night and we're chilling on the couch this morning after giving him some Greenies. I do hope he relaxes a bit but we'll get along just fine I'm sure. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do I get the poo poo gremlin to stop being an rear end in a top hat. Every god drat time it cycles there he is sticking himself in the robot

https://youtu.be/D8-vy0STlhg

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
What kind of litter do you use with your robot? I noticed there's a bunch of clumps which didn't make it into the drawer, which doesn't seem to happen with mine.

Also your little a-hole just kind of looks curious about it, is he actually interrupting the cycle or swatting out poops?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pzy posted:

What kind of litter do you use with your robot? I noticed there's a bunch of clumps which didn't make it into the drawer, which doesn't seem to happen with mine.

Also your little a-hole just kind of looks curious about it, is he actually interrupting the cycle or swatting out poops?

Twice today while at work I've gotten the alert of an interrupted cycle and I've caught him once jumping in mid cycle. We use one of the Arm and Hammers but I don't know which kins, although right now there is also Cat Attract in there because we weren't sure Bean was going in and thought that might help

What actually got her to use it was just removing the other box.

But yeah the god damned Gremlin has always been weird about his poop. He used to come running when I'd scoop his box and watch the whole process.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ballad of the cat thread

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The only thing that stopped our cat from interrupting the Litter Robot cycle was just turning the thing off for most of the time and cycling it manually a few times a day. Eventually she grew out of that habit but it took a few months.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Lots of cool cats, voted five. Please look at mah bois. They're farm cats whose mother died a week after they were born, it took us a long time to get them comfortable around us because before we got them the farmer used to 'play' with them by kicking them around with his big ol' farmer boots. They can be a little psychotic, attacking your feet as you pass them because you haven't pet them enough or just ignoring you for days on.

Dey cats, I love 'em :3

Patches giving a salacious little wink to the thread

Gimli, my big lumbering boi

Gimli, innocent look after ferociously fighting feet

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't normally do this, but my li'l kitty Wiz fell ill recently and his emergency veterinary bill was substantial. I started a GoFundMe; If you could find it in your heart to help out, we would be eternally grateful.

Wiz's Veterinary Odyssey

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't normally do this, but my li'l kitty Wiz fell ill recently and his emergency veterinary bill was substantial. I started a GoFundMe; If you could find it in your heart to help out, we would be eternally grateful.

Wiz's Veterinary Odyssey

I can't do as much as the other kind people but I sent what I could afford

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Cat update! What ever was going on with our cat seems to be fairly benign. She has regained the use of her tail almost fully, and there haven't been any more negative effects. If anything, she's become a whole lot more affectionate and social since what happened.

What a lil trooper :unsmith:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Missionary Positron posted:

Cat update! What ever was going on with our cat seems to be fairly benign. She has regained the use of her tail almost fully, and there haven't been any more negative effects. If anything, she's become a whole lot more affectionate and social since what happened.

YAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm so glad to hear that!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Missionary Positron posted:

Maybe she just pulled a muscle somehow and wasn’t using it? :iiam:

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Every time.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jayne Doe posted:

Every time.

Cat working as intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRFnjCGg48

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cat goons I come to you with a question. Very good chance I will be moving. What should I do when it comes to introducing a cat to a whole new backyard? I'm afraid he'll try to go back to where I live now.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Leal posted:

Cat goons I come to you with a question. Very good chance I will be moving. What should I do when it comes to introducing a cat to a whole new backyard? I'm afraid he'll try to go back to where I live now.
I've moved a few times (long way each time, so cats wouldn't be able to find the old place if they tried), with the same 2 cats. Each new place, we got them used to the new indoor space, then slowly introduced the new outdoor space with them on harness and very long leash. After a while, we let them off leash. No real big issues. Occasionally not coming home at night, and habving to be let in come morning time. But, again, only the 2 cats. Ymmv.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Man, I love cat fights. It's like UFC only adorable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My cats regularly transition seamlessly from grooming each other to play fighting. Often it starts because they're cleaning each other a little too enthusiastically, or wanted to be the groomer, not the groomee. And then they'll stop on a dime and groom each other again.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

...ok, holy poo poo, two days in a row now, the ball with kibble in it has kept James occupied and stopped him screaming at me.

I don't think he knows how to tip food out of it, but he seems to have figured how to jostle it until he can lick the food through the hole.

E: bugger. Spoke too soon.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 9, 2020

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Kitfox88 posted:

Maybe she just pulled a muscle somehow and wasn’t using it? :iiam:

Maybe, but there has been a definite shift in her behavior, which coupled with the fact that she used to suffer from epileptic seizures, makes me think that she had some kind of a minor episode.

She hasn't had them in six years, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever used silver vine as a catnip alternative? Catnip does nothing for my cat, so I tried that, reading somewhere that 80% of cats like it. I put down a little in front of my cat, and he got extremely offended by it, and started cowering away from me and looked about ready to hiss at me when I presented it to him :( What a waste.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

seiferguy posted:

Has anyone ever used silver vine as a catnip alternative? Catnip does nothing for my cat, so I tried that, reading somewhere that 80% of cats like it. I put down a little in front of my cat, and he got extremely offended by it, and started cowering away from me and looked about ready to hiss at me when I presented it to him :( What a waste.

Phyrexian Obliterator doesn't respond much to catnip but loses her goddamn mind for silvervine. You can get leaves or powder, or you can get sticks.

Valerian and Tatarian Honeysuckle are also apparently :catdrugs: but I haven't had a chance to test them out yet.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have used valerian, I've even grown it when I lived with a big yard and cats that would go for a stroll out in the garden. They would go nuts for the plant even before cutting/drying or any of that. Just a bunch of cats rolling around in a patch of valerian.

The thing about fresh valerian is it really does smell strongly like a foot so you gotta deal with that. I haven't even heard of the other plant (though I guess I'll pick some up and try it now)

We're not talking about a kitten right Seiferguy? Cats don't really respond to catnip usually before they get older, usually around 6 months.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

seiferguy posted:

My cat would go crazy on a silver vine stick, nibble the end and claw the other end with her back feet. For about 5 seconds, then it had to be hours before she would react again. After awhile the bark was gone and she didn't care about the stick anymore.

I got the stick free with with an order of a blend of 5 (iirc) things from space kitty express on etsy, the blend works but I've only tried the blend and some crappy packin catnip from a toy which didn't work very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BrainDance posted:

I have used valerian, I've even grown it when I lived with a big yard and cats that would go for a stroll out in the garden. They would go nuts for the plant even before cutting/drying or any of that. Just a bunch of cats rolling around in a patch of valerian.

The thing about fresh valerian is it really does smell strongly like a foot so you gotta deal with that. I haven't even heard of the other plant (though I guess I'll pick some up and try it now)

We're not talking about a kitten right Seiferguy? Cats don't really respond to catnip usually before they get older, usually around 6 months.

Nah, 7 year old cat. I got a toy thats meant for the cat to bite into it to clean their teeth, it has a catnip bag in it to entice the cat but it wasn't doing anything for him. Hence why I tried something else. I'll look into valerian since silver vine scared the poo poo out of him.