Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There seemed to be legitimately new people that were actually kids (highschool age) talking in the venture bros 24/7 marathon stream multiple times over the last few months. I like to put that stream on as background while playing games sometimes. Then after a few hours when I'm closing it I remember there's a chat and sometimes read it because sometimes someone drops some new easter egg I'd never realized in the show before.

I don't think it's as impenetrable as you think, though most of them seem to mostly like early episodes that heavily feature Brock fighting, but didn't we also at that age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Most of the references in Venture Bros flew over my head, even the very obvious one (like the Jaws pastiche at the beginning of season 7) and yet I enjoyed it immensely, I was fine with the lack of an over-arching plot after realizing that the creators really weren't interested in that and I think people are really overestimating the need to watch all of it if you want to enjoy it. That's why they can afford the wait between seasons, there is no plot to follow, nothing that you need to refresh in your memory when the new season comes up (season 7 being an exception what with all the trouble they had keeping their episode count straight in season 6).

Compare that to, say, one my pet peeves, the Mysterious Cities of Gold sequel : this is a show aimed at kids of a certain age, rather heavy with plot and continuity, with a big bad still strong and threatening after two seasons. The wait between seasons ? 4 years. That is insane!

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 8, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It watches just fine as a weird slice of life show about people who are really into popculture references

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I watched for venture bros early seasons as a baby child teenager who got, generously, a fifth of the pop culture references and I still loved the hell out of it

Turns out good media works on multiple levels and doesn't require encyclopedic cultural knowledge, even if that encyclopedic cultural knowledge would elevate your understanding of the material

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea nerd references to comic books are really out right now, furthermore

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i feel like there something for everyone in the show, even if dialogue like "here's one of me at Danceteria making out with Stiv Bators and Lydia Lunch" is meaningless gibberish to you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That's what the DVD commentary is for. To send you deeper down the rabbit hole while they almost explain a reference but go on a tangent about 5 new mysteries.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I think the real nerd references in Venture Bros are the ones to painters that Hammer likes. Or the time Hatred mentioned a dude who created his own personal fictional universe with writings and collages and nobody discovered it until he died.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pixaal posted:

There seemed to be legitimately new people that were actually kids (highschool age) talking in the venture bros 24/7 marathon stream multiple times over the last few months. I like to put that stream on as background while playing games sometimes. Then after a few hours when I'm closing it I remember there's a chat and sometimes read it because sometimes someone drops some new easter egg I'd never realized in the show before.

I don't think it's as impenetrable as you think, though most of them seem to mostly like early episodes that heavily feature Brock fighting, but didn't we also at that age?

Agreed. It's honestly not even a third as referential as something like Robot Chicken or Family Guy, it's maybe on par volume-wise with something like Rick and Morty. The references are often more esoteric of course, but the jokes aren't structured in such a way where you have to get the reference or you just miss the joke entirely. Like, I still don't know who/what "Yaz" is but I understand the joke of the one henchman having too many of their albums on his ipod or whatever.

For another key example: VB started when I was in college so basically the key demographic for watching stupid cartoons at almost midnight, and the cartoon that this show is primarily referencing with it's core "super scientist, bodyguard, naive kids" dynamic -- Jonny Quest -- ended almost 20 loving years before I was even born and I'd never seen an episode (and still haven't).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I almost never get the references and the jokes still stand without them

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mr. Lobe posted:

I watched for venture bros early seasons as a baby child teenager who got, generously, a fifth of the pop culture references and I still loved the hell out of it

Turns out good media works on multiple levels and doesn't require encyclopedic cultural knowledge, even if that encyclopedic cultural knowledge would elevate your understanding of the material
Plus when I heard some obvious reference to something I didn't understand I could look it up and usually it was something neat! The show was educational as well as entertaining.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t know, I’ll never be able to view VB through the lens of someone who didn’t get the jokes. I’m not saying the show doesn’t have comedic merit, but I understand why an IP that is essentially composed of references to other IPs is a hard sell to a mega-corp when Rick & Morty is right there making absolute crap loads of money.

I mean even Hank’s basic character design is a riff on Scooby Doo, a show no Zoomer has ever cared about.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

X_Toad posted:

I think the real nerd references in Venture Bros are the ones to painters that Hammer likes. Or the time Hatred mentioned a dude who created his own personal fictional universe with writings and collages and nobody discovered it until he died.

It kinda makes sense Hatred would know who Henry Darger is

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

misguided rage posted:

Plus when I heard some obvious reference to something I didn't understand I could look it up and usually it was something neat! The show was educational as well as entertaining.

Get the facts about testicular torsion
Stop touch and tell

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean what about the type of nerd who wants to untangle and find out what the hell these references are. Some of which are simply gold.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the kids do know who scooby doo is though. there are new scooby doo episodes literally airing as i post. scooby doo never went away.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

the kids do know who scooby doo is though. there are new scooby doo episodes literally airing as i post. scooby doo never went away.

YOU ARE THE HAND CHOSEN BY THE MASTER. YOURS IS THE WHEEL OF BLOOD, YOURS IS THE SWORD OF MICHAEL!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean what about the type of nerd who wants to untangle and find out what the hell these references are. Some of which are simply gold.

Oh man I used to love reading the mantis eye project for the low down on the references

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Active: Boots of the gospel

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

There was a Scooby-Doo movie released almost theatrically this year!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not like kids in their teens or early 20s circa 2003 really gave anymore of a poo poo about Scooby Doo, and even if they did who the gently caress cares about Fred, the least interesting character?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

misguided rage posted:

The only time they really went overboard on a pop culture reference was the Duran Duran "Please Please Tell Me" joke in the last season. That was a fairly major part of the B plot of that episode and only made sense if you were familiar with the video for that song.

I'm sad that the show is cancelled. It was my favorite thing ever put on television, with the exception of golden age Simpsons. I remember watching it in my girlfriend's dorm room in college in 2005 when I was 22 or 23 -- she had a TV and I was a recent grad who didn't have the money for a TV, let alone cable, so I'd stay over at in room on Sunday nights just so I could catch Venture Brothers, then wake up early the next day to drive 2 hours to get to my job. Venture Brothers was something I'd watch and call my mother the next day to discuss, because she was the one that discovered it and got me to watch it. She died in late 2016, and it was sad to think that she didn't get to see the last season. I'm just going to hope that this is an extended hiatus and they'll get to wrap up the show in some way that does it justice, maybe in a few years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mantis42 posted:

There was a Scooby-Doo movie released almost theatrically this year!

And it's sitting right on HBO Max too.

A perfect example on how you don't need to get the reference for stuff to be funny.

What goes up, must come down.

"I'M TRAPPED IN A SEWER WITH A CONFESSED ARSONIST"

The line delivery alone makes the joke and they explain enough of it by Rusty saying "He just keeps saying he's "The Firestarter," I dunno, I think he's spaced up on yellow jackets." Sure, the joke is even funnier if you get the musical cues and know The Prodigy song. It's not 100% necessary to find the scene funny though.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

pixaal posted:

Get the facts about testicular torsion
Stop touch and tell

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean what about the type of nerd who wants to untangle

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The only time they really went overboard on a pop culture reference was the Duran Duran "Please Please Tell Me" joke in the last season. That was a fairly major part of the B plot of that episode and only made sense if you were familiar with the video for that song.
I am familiar with neither and that's one of my favorite episodes of the show. Then again, I'm a sucker for St Cloud.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

YOU ARE THE HAND CHOSEN BY THE MASTER. YOURS IS THE WHEEL OF BLOOD, YOURS IS THE SWORD OF MICHAEL!

Would you give it a rest, Groove?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

A perfect example on how you don't need to get the reference for stuff to be funny.

The line delivery alone makes the joke and they explain enough of it by Rusty saying "He just keeps saying he's "The Firestarter," I dunno, I think he's spaced up on yellow jackets." Sure, the joke is even funnier if you get the musical cues and know The Prodigy song. It's not 100% necessary to find the scene funny though.

I didn't even know there was more reference there to get. I constantly find random stuff and suddenly go holy poo poo that's what was happening in that Venture Bro's scene. It makes me like both things all the more, finally finding a reference out of the blue. It happens so much with this show because they jam every episode with so many references. It's hard to find any dead time at all in an episode. They don't waste a frame.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

That's one of my favorite jokes from the show and a great example of how they do pop culture references well, in a way that other shows like Rick and Morty or Family Guy don't. It's a wink and a nod to the audience, but it stands on its own and doesn't shove the fact that it's a pop culture reference in your face.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The best part of this show is going back to an episode after experiencing more things and then noticing a reference you never got the first time. There's always something new to notice each time you watch. Until you've noticed everything and then you die.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Like, I still don't know who/what "Yaz" is but I understand the joke of the one henchman having too many of their albums on his ipod or whatever.

https://youtu.be/eBOobFD-Jns

My brothers and our friends have fond memories of being at the roller skating rink with this playing.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The real journey of venture bros is finally figuring out a thing your dad said 15 years ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s touching that two men loved each other so much, so completely, that they had to make up 15 different men who could all platonically interact with one another in order to write a 15 year long play in which they basically try to make each other laugh.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

bull3964 posted:

The three guys and girl that get him after that are from Art of Noise. I think every Rusty down there is some reference to old music videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFK0-lcjGU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s touching that two men loved each other so much, so completely, that they had to make up 15 different men who could all platonically interact with one another in order to write a 15 year long play in which they basically try to make each other laugh.

I'm glad they shared it with us, and I imagine them sitting at a retirement home still making the voicing and doing bits. Not for many more years, but eventually.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X_Toad posted:

Or the time Hatred mentioned a dude who created his own personal fictional universe with writings and collages and nobody discovered it until he died.

“Who wrote this, Henry Darger?” Is my all-time favorite joke in the entire show and I can’t think of it without laughing. Probably because I’ve made similar jokes for like a decade and nobody knew what I was talking about, so when I heard that it was just... perfect. I think that’s part of what I like about this show, is that it’s confident enough with those reference jokes to let them stand on their own and if you get ‘em, you get ‘em.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

The three guys and girl that get him after that are from Art of Noise. I think every Rusty down there is some reference to old music videos.

there were some obscure characters from the Devo extended universe in there. David Byrne from Talking Heads. and yet another Bowie. lots of Bowies in the VB universe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TK-42-1 posted:

See, and that's something I never knew before.

One of my friends just saw Jaws for the first time (it was just one of those classics he never got around to watching) when we screened my new 4k copy and I immediately had to follow it up with the The Rorqual Affair which he found even funnier now that he's seen the source of the references.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/RythianWrites/status/1303352307694931969

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know who that person is, but I hope that's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oh man, I really hope I’m not getting my hopes up for nothing.