Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

I don't care about the rating, I care about if it's effective. I have a 2006 Mazda 3 with a cabin air filter and it doesn't do poo poo for smoke or diesel or whatever. My Mercedes will block out wildfire smoke though, so I'm wondering how the Model 3 will do at it.

If you haven’t replace the one in your Mazda recently you should probably do that. But it could just be that your Mazda isn’t a very well sealed car and a filter isn’t very useful if you can’t force the air through it. There’s nothing special about the filters used in Teslas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you haven’t replace the one in your Mazda recently you should probably do that. But it could just be that your Mazda isn’t a very well sealed car and a filter isn’t very useful if you can’t force the air through it. There’s nothing special about the filters used in Teslas.
Yes I've replaced the Mazda one.
The one in the Model X is almost the size of the whole firewall. It's enormous.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s nothing special about the filters used in Teslas.

The quality is rarely used in other cars, if at all, and the size and implementation is unique. Other than that, nothing special. :v: The 3 and Y don't have it IIRC.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
From the pic I found of the model 3 filter I'm not sure if it has an activated carbon filter or not.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-air-filter
I'll be finding out in the morning how it does with smoke :v:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

Yes I've replaced the Mazda one.
The one in the Model X is almost the size of the whole firewall. It's enormous.

Mercedes uses activated charcoal filters which is probably why it does better with smoke. Charcoal is what really helps with odors, not the particulate rating.

The Model X filter is indeed huge but I don’t think that has much effect on efficiency beyond perhaps longer life between replacement.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

The quality is rarely used in other cars, if at all, and the size and implementation is unique. Other than that, nothing special. :v: The 3 and Y don't have it IIRC.

I'm pretty sure my current 2015 Audi has a HEPA filter, and I'm sure the Porsche does with activated carbon. The Tesla bioweapon claims are really not convincing, it's not like positive pressure means anything beyond the fan being on.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/putting-tesla-hepa-filter-and-bioweapon-defense-mode-to-the-test

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Go here, search for your car, and find whatever carbon activated filter is available

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Model 3 has two cabin air filters, some people buy HEPA filters for it but I'm a bit concerned about restricting air flow. The Model 3 also comes with no intake air filter but you can buy an aftermarket one.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Charles posted:

And yeah tonight in Seattle it smells terrible so you'll probably get some if you're close to the border.

We had an absolutely gorgeous sunset last night compliments of burning bits of Washington state, tyvm.

This morning is smoky, but as someone else indicated I doubt GM bothers to seal its vehicles well enough for the cabin filter to matter. Might order a new one anyway just to see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

How is the implementation unique?

HEPA is nothing special to Tesla except they spent the extra $2 per vehicle on that model.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

How is the implementation unique?

HEPA is nothing special to Tesla except they spent the extra $2 per vehicle on that model.

Which other cars make a point of using HEPA and has a special mode for maximum air filtering? It is really good at clearing out bad air from inside the car as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ola posted:

Which other cars make a point of using HEPA and has a special mode for maximum air filtering? It is really good at clearing out bad air from inside the car as well.

Is the super special magic bio-weapon defense mode (lol) anything other than putting the HVAC on recirc and turning up the fan?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The fuckoff-sized HEPA filter they put in the S/X might be related as well :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How well the rest of the car is sealed is going to make a big difference. Doesn't matter if you have an awesome filter if there is a big draft letting in smoke somewhere

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I finally joined the club and picked up a 2017 i3 Rex and over the long weekend drove it over 400 miles. Thanks to the plethora of free chargers (including free DCFC which I didn't know existed until now) all over southern California I only spent ~$10 on electricity. I could not imagine doing that drive without DCFC; It's hard to believe that's not standard on all EV's. The only time I got worried about range was Sunday at 2am when I only had about 10% battery and the first two fast chargers I went to were in parking garages that had already closed. Luckily I found an open one and got enough charge to go home. The crazy thing is that with the Rex I didn't even really need the charge, but I've become so averse to using gas I refused to turn it on and even went out of my way to get to that charger.

Continuing filter chat: The i3 has a surprisingly good cabin air filter as well. Didn't smell a hint of smoke until I got out of my car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does the model Y super recirc filtration mode filter out fart smells I hope not I enjoy smelling my own farts

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

taqueso posted:

How well the rest of the car is sealed is going to make a big difference. Doesn't matter if you have an awesome filter if there is a big draft letting in smoke somewhere

First things first, let Tesla figure out how to keep water out of the Model Ys, then they can work on smoke.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EV Supercar Rallycross?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE

Yes pls. Also Burnout level = Australian

Oh, my God, the dude's eyes while riding with Ken.
And yes, it hoons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ola posted:

Volvo, Lexus, Mercedes off the top of my head.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Volvo, Lexus, Mercedes off the top of my head.

Hadn't heard about any of those, can't find anything with some quick googling either.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Here's an ID.3 next to a Model 3 for size comparison (via Reddit):

Also Nikola motors announced a partnership with GM. :confuoot:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/nikola-and-gm-team-up-to-make-this-900-horsepower-super-electric-truck-113011979.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

Hadn't heard about any of those, can't find anything with some quick googling either.

I can't find any because they were all super stupid brand names on the top trim stuff and I can't be hosed to try to search for the marketing speak.

edit: Volvo it's IQAS

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't find any because they were all super stupid brand names on the top trim stuff and I can't be hosed to try to search for the marketing speak.

edit: Volvo it's IQAS

Cool, thanks! For anyone else curious https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/manuals/xc90-twin-engine/2015w46/climate/air-quality/interior-air-quality-system

Now, they don't mention HEPA specifically, but I'm not nitpicking on that, it's definitely a special air cleaning thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

I can't say how much I love the layout of the ID.3. It's probably two or three threads ago, but I remember some of us talking about the possibilities that EV drive trains permit and one pet peeve of mine is unnecessary overhang.

The picture does lie a little, a shot from above would be better. But the footprint of each, for anyone curious:

Model 3:
Wheelbase 113.2 in (2,875 mm)
Length 184.8 in (4,694 mm)
Width 72.8 in (1,849 mm)

ID.3:
Wheelbase 108.9 in (2,765 mm)
Length (167.8 in (4,262 mm)
Width 71.2 in (1,809 mm)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

Cool, thanks! For anyone else curious https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/manuals/xc90-twin-engine/2015w46/climate/air-quality/interior-air-quality-system

Now, they don't mention HEPA specifically, but I'm not nitpicking on that, it's definitely a special air cleaning thing.

MB Cabin Air Purification system:

quote:

Dual activated charcoal filters team with an ionizer that uses an electrical charge to create the same fresh-air sensation you experience after a summer storm. Airborne impurities and odors are virtually eliminated from the cabin to provide air quality that's more enjoyable and healthier, especially for those with asthma or allergies.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HEPA filtration is really just 99.97% of 0.3 micron particle filtration. Unless you're sourcing poo poo-tier filters to maximize your six sigma gainz, and/or your filter box leaks like a sieve, probably any decent OEM filter (where the manufacturer also sprung for gaskets and o-rings in the cabin air ducting) meets or exceeds HEPA ratings. It's not hard to do.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

HEPA filtration is really just 99.97% of 0.3 micron particle filtration. Unless you're sourcing poo poo-tier filters to maximize your six sigma gainz, and/or your filter box leaks like a sieve, probably any decent OEM filter (where the manufacturer also sprung for gaskets and o-rings in the cabin air ducting) meets or exceeds HEPA ratings. It's not hard to do.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Westy543 posted:

I wanna see it next to a bolt. I think it looks real good, and I absolutely hate that they aren't bringing it over.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

RZA Encryption posted:

I wanna see it next to a bolt. I think it looks real good, and I absolutely hate that they aren't bringing it over.

I have resigned myself to my fate of joining the crossover masses with the ID 4. Which I can’t wait to slam down a hundo to configure in 3 weeks

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

RZA Encryption posted:

I wanna see it next to a bolt.

Got you fam :angel:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

from the YOSPOS thread - Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Picked up a Kia Niro EV today. 'Engine' bay is kinda interesting. Rest of the car is pretty boring, but competent.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Darchangel posted:

Oh, my God, the dude's eyes while riding with Ken.
And yes, it hoons.
He needed a racing collar or HANS device.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Assholes stealing my battery securing technique:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Westy543 posted:

Got you fam :angel:

pretty sure the ask was an ID.3 and a Bolt

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

pretty sure the ask was an ID.3 and a Bolt

:thejoke:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

Full disclosure, this doesn't really answer your question since it's about a model x instead of a 3, but you might find it enlightening nonetheless.
Jalopnik - This Tesla Model X Has Driven Over 400,000 Miles. Here Are All The Parts That Had To Be Replaced

My understanding with Tesla is: initial quality is a crapshoot, they will probably fix your problems eventually, service time and experience varies wildly depending on service center, and possibly most disputable: once you get everything working they're fine? They offer an extended warranty and I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty. The parts are expensive, but that's probably typical for a car in that price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

To be clear: this is a bunch of license plates taped/ratchet strapped in the car?