Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

So the fire that was burning north of me a couple weeks ago decided it wasn't done and they're now re-evacuating areas they had given the all-clear to.

Oh poo poo, stay safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
First smoke warning for BC went out today for a fire in the south interior discovered on August 17.

And a new fire was discovered up a forest service road about two hours from Vancouver! Only two hectares, but hey, guess what? It's time for another heat wave down here!

I have a feeling we're just going to stop having normal winter in a couple years and it'll be ashy rainstorms from November through March.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They're starting to do hazard reduction burns across NSW ready for our upcoming fire season. A little bit of smoke came over us but has pretty much cleared now.

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1302878002053701632

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Kazinsal posted:

First smoke warning for BC went out today for a fire in the south interior discovered on August 17.

And a new fire was discovered up a forest service road about two hours from Vancouver! Only two hectares, but hey, guess what? It's time for another heat wave down here!

I have a feeling we're just going to stop having normal winter in a couple years and it'll be ashy rainstorms from November through March.

Is it windy in BC like it is in WA right now? I've never experienced a summer time wind storm before, this is insane.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jesus christ I wish I died in this fire loving gently caress.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

Is it windy in BC like it is in WA right now? I've never experienced a summer time wind storm before, this is insane.

Yeah, there were 70 km/h gusts in the Vancouver suburbs today. Definitely unusual.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Everyone was making fun of Hawaii when the volcano rolled over a few luxury vacation rentals and poor people's homes but the mainland is just entirely on fire for like 6 months of the year.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

death crew refusing evac sounds about right

https://twitter.com/dennisreports/status/1302639462791307265

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hey, maybe they had one of those necklace collar bombs that explode if they leave a certain location. We don't know there situations, we can't judge those brain dead idiots!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

Everyone was making fun of Hawaii when the volcano rolled over a few luxury vacation rentals and poor people's homes but the mainland is just entirely on fire for like 6 months of the year.

Give it another year or so. Rainforests becoming firewood pretty quick these days.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

without further context I might easily assume this was some long lost photo of the mount saint helens explosion

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

No doubt they were dumb fucks but, if you had shovels and whatnot, could you dig foxholes in the sand and hide in those?

You can move sand very quickly and build up walls which would do the job of shielding you from radiant heat.

But then you'd be forever known as the guy who refused to be rescued so he could hide in a sandcastle.

EDIT: As kids we'd always being digging poo poo like this at the beach

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No doubt they were dumb fucks but, if you had shovels and whatnot, could you dig foxholes in the sand and hide in those?

You can move sand very quickly and build up walls which would do the job of shielding you from radiant heat.

But then you'd be forever known as the guy who refused to be rescued so he could hide in a sandcastle.

If someone refused evac I'd bet cash on it being a helicopter evac and they didn't want to leave their stuff behind

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oh hey we're up to r in the named storms list and we're only halfway through hurricane season

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1303296034299236352

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Holy crap, that’s pretty far east for typical storm development.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

thankfully at present both paulette and rene are expected to mostly stay from large landmasses and not turn into major hurricanes

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Grundulum posted:

Holy crap, that’s pretty far east for typical storm development.

Storms often form way out in the middle of the Atlantic or just off the coast of Africa, you never hear about them because they spin off into the ocean. Check out this nhc climate page if you want to see all the tracks... https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

Rene is going to spin off into the ocean and annoy some fishermen

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Sep 8, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

if you had shovels and whatnot, could you dig foxholes in the sand and hide in those?

An average surface fire on the forest floor might have flames reaching 1 meter in height and can reach temperatures of 800°C (1,472° F) or more. Under extreme conditions a fire can give off 10,000 kilowatts or more per meter of fire front.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s a lot of storms that just gently caress off into the Atlantic historically

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A DIY glass tomb sounds pretty :coal: tbh

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

taqueso posted:

A DIY glass tomb sounds pretty :coal: tbh

lenin's tomb aspirations

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
friendship ended with wildfire smoke
now snow is my best friend

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT: As kids we'd always being digging poo poo like this at the beach

You'd probably be better off just sitting in the shallow water so long as there's not a bunch of vegetation or other fuel nearby.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

friendship ended with wildfire smoke
now snow is my best friend

Meanwhile in the north, Environment Canada just put out a special air quality statement for Vancouver saying "hey guys it's september 8 and wildfire season is starting, go get your respirators lol"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

An average surface fire on the forest floor might have flames reaching 1 meter in height and can reach temperatures of 800°C (1,472° F) or more. Under extreme conditions a fire can give off 10,000 kilowatts or more per meter of fire front.

a kilowatt will heat 1 kg of water 1C in around 4 seconds, but that's only like a quart of water. A hot tub is usually like 400 gallons, so 10MW of power will heat it 1C every ~1.6 seconds. Most pools are way bigger than that though, so the smallest pool I can find (8000gallons) would take like 30 seconds to get 1C hotter, and an olympic size swimming pool (660k gallons) would take about 44 minutes to get 1C hotter. Assuming that the temp starts at ~80C and get's uncomfortably/dangerously hot at ~105C you'd have between 12 minutes and 18 hours before the pool got too hot. I'm sure the reservoir is bigger than both of those.

Unless it's a small pool you're much more likely to die from smoke inhalation or because the air is hundreds to thousands of degrees.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

been kinda stressed about fires since this has been the driest summer since i moved to the west coast and it's bee crazy hot for like the past month, and now there's a big, very fast-moving fire right near where i work

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=765925304203162

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

been kinda stressed about fires since this has been the driest summer since i moved to the west coast and it's bee crazy hot for like the past month, and now there's a big, very fast-moving fire right near where i work

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=765925304203162

I have a friend that lives there! They've been evacuating people all day apparently. Stay safe goon.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Helith posted:

Can California not impose total fire bans on high fire danger days?

A not insignificant amount of Californians don't give a gently caress about those and will actually set more things on fire just to spite the authorities.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I passed by this area less than an hour before fire activity closed the road. That would've been a long detour had I left any later.

https://twitter.com/wsdot_traffic/status/1303424422397710336?s=19

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stereotype posted:

I have a friend that lives there! They've been evacuating people all day apparently. Stay safe goon.

one of my coworkers already likely lost her house. i can't believe how fast this thing is moving, this wind is dire.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Stereotype posted:

a kilowatt will heat 1 kg of water 1C in around 4 seconds, but that's only like a quart of water. A hot tub is usually like 400 gallons, so 10MW of power will heat it 1C every ~1.6 seconds. Most pools are way bigger than that though, so the smallest pool I can find (8000gallons) would take like 30 seconds to get 1C hotter, and an olympic size swimming pool (660k gallons) would take about 44 minutes to get 1C hotter. Assuming that the temp starts at ~80C and get's uncomfortably/dangerously hot at ~105C you'd have between 12 minutes and 18 hours before the pool got too hot. I'm sure the reservoir is bigger than both of those.

Unless it's a small pool you're much more likely to die from smoke inhalation or because the air is hundreds to thousands of degrees.

at 105C the water would be steam and guaranteed to be more than "uncomfortable" unless it's in some sorta pressure vessel lmao you're fuckin with too many units here

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

at 105C the water would be steam and guaranteed to be more than "uncomfortable" unless it's in some sorta pressure vessel lmao you're fuckin with too many units here

oh whoops I got C and F mixed up there's too many units we need to get rid of some.

80F to 105F is 26.6C to 40.6C so instead of having 25 degrees of time you only get 14, so 7 minutes in a small pool before it getting too hot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Heat+required+to+raise+8%2C000+gallons+from+80c+to+100c

Using WolframAlpha it would take 0.7MWh to raise 8,000 gallons from 80C to 100C, so a 10MW source would do it in 0.07 hours or about 5 minutes. From 26C to 100C it would take 2.6 MWh, meaning a 10MW source would take 15 minutes.

(Now we see what stupid errors I made :v:)

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Now we just need a way to harness this energy so we can end our dependence on foreign oil.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
assume a perfectly spherical swimming pool

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

you guys should probably consider the fact that a pool is parallel to the ground and somewhat below it in your calculations before you assign the full 10 megawatts per meter of a fire front into it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
We aren't even factoring in the emissivity of the pool or the nonlinear thermal absorption coefficients!

Also does the fire front even last 10 minutes? I assume everything burns pretty fast and then it's just embers which won't have as much heat output.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a fire front sends a collimated beam of infrared radiation out of its evil eyes targeting whatever it is you're calculating

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dustcat posted:

a fire front sends a collimated beam of infrared radiation out of its evil eyes targeting whatever it is you're calculating

Sssh don’t share the secrets of fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The water is not going to heat straight through, you will have a gradient. It takes a ton of energy to change the state of the water so you should get a lot of buffer from the steam. (im ignoring the infrared part because you already knew from reading the thread to turn your pool into a swamp)

e: while you are down there, you can start tunnelling towards non-fire areas of the earth and you get a few feet head start thanks to the pool