Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ShowTime posted:

It came with the Fujinon XC 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Lens

And thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at used lenses and trying to find a good deal. None local, but I plan on just keeping an eye on Ebay and SAMart and maybe grabbing some from there.

I have some more expensive Fuji cameras and prime lenses but really have been thinking about grabbing a 15-45 power zoom myself. That’s a solid kit, not just to start out with but to hold on to for lots of future use cases. It’s sharp at the wide end and has image stabilization which are both good features. The power zoom is theoretically good for video if you want to zoom during recording too (although it probably suffers from some focus shift and breathing, things that you pay $$,$$$ for professional cine zooms to eliminate). All in all a good lens for just documenting spaces and taking video.

A good counterpart would be a telephoto for the “from a distance” stuff. Fuji has a very good and kinda pricy 55-200 and a less good but still sharp and usable and cheaper 50-230. Both would complement your current zoom well, and besides making distant things look closer you can also use them to take nice portraits with blurred backgrounds.

The XC 35mm f/2 is a good value prime lens. It’s a rebadged higher-end prime without the weather sealing. Gives a point of view that’s similar to what your eye sees normal (ie a ‘normal lens’ - neither wide angle nor telephoto). It’s pretty sharp at f/2 so you can take pictures in lower light with better image quality.

In short, everything has its purpose. Primes are fun and good creative tools but it sounds to me like a telephoto zoom is the next logical purchase for you. It was my second lens type when I was just staring out and honestly photography didn’t really ‘click’ for me until I had one.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ShowTime posted:

Oh nice! In my experience even Fuji’s XC lenses are actually pretty nice. My recommendation would be to just try and use it with that lens as much as possible, bring it with you wherever you can and just figure out what focal lengths you like. If you bring your photos into something like Lightroom you can favorite all of your best photos, then run a report of what focal length they were taken at. You could use that to decide on what prime to buy.

The previous poster’s recommendation of a longer zoom is also a good idea! I have the cheaper XC 55-230 and have been super impressed for the money. These are around $250-$300 used in my experience: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equi...ii/sku-1021086/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Have the full frame mirrorless lenses ever managed to come down in bulk and weight?
I'm currently on a DSLR APS-C with all ASP-C lenses, so while I'm itching to switch to full frame mirrorless, I'm concerned about the weight full frame lenses will add to my bag.

Why not go to a APS-C mirrorless? Cos Ive got a broke brain and covert full frame.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 7, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Have the full frame mirrorless lenses ever managed to come down in bulk and weight?
I'm currently on a DSLR APS-C with all ASP-C lenses, so while I'm itching to switch to full frame mirrorless, I'm concerned about the weight full frame lenses will add to my bag.

Why not go to a APS-C mirrorless? Cos Ive got a broke brain and covert full frame.

yeah if anything they're getting bigger, plus the lenses aren't exactly small either.

ShowTime posted:

And thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at used lenses and trying to find a good deal. None local, but I plan on just keeping an eye on Ebay and SAMart and maybe grabbing some from there.

Congrats on joining the Fuji cult. The best advice I've read about lens choices is to take a bunch of photos with that kit lens, while thinking - what zoom level do you find yourself using the most? What feels natural? Or, what feels like it's missing -- if you find yourself in positions where you want it to zoom in more regularly, then think about the 55-230 or the more expensive telephoto lenses. If you find yourself liking 23mm or 35mm, look at getting one of those prime lenses. I'd forgotten about the XC 35, but if it's even 90% of the quality of the XF 35 f/2, it'll be a great choice.

There's also rumors of a 27 f/2.8 pancake version 2 coming sometime this year, if you want a normal-ish view and to make your camera really small it's a good choice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

Only slightly in most cases, and other than a few I feel like you’d have to be looking at the spec sheet or have an equivalent DSLR lens in hand to know it.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Most of the first party manufacturers are prioritizing optical quality, which definitely leads to more complex and heavy lenses.

There are a bunch of f2.8 lenses available for Sony that very compact.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I’m trying to understand the alignment between Fuji and Olympus cameras. Are the Pen F and XT3 similar in size?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ropes4u posted:

I’m trying to understand the alignment between Fuji and Olympus cameras. Are the Pen F and XT3 similar in size?

The X-T3 is noticeably bigger and heavier.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Here is another site where you can get different angles and try lenses. I also added the x-t30, which is more comparable in size (neither it or the pen-f are weather sealed).

Overall compactness of either system will mostly come down to the lenses you want.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fools Infinite posted:

Here is another site where you can get different angles and try lenses. I also added the x-t30, which is more comparable in size (neither it or the pen-f are weather sealed).

Overall compactness of either system will mostly come down to the lenses you want.

Thank you. I am currently invested in Oly but the recent sale, and a desire for a smaller pocket camera have me considering a Fuji.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you. I am currently invested in Oly but the recent sale, and a desire for a smaller pocket camera have me considering a Fuji.

Fairly certain that the interchangeable olys are slightly smaller and lighter than the equivalent fujis due to the smaller sensor, and the lenses are also smaller.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Fairly certain that the interchangeable olys are slightly smaller and lighter than the equivalent fujis due to the smaller sensor, and the lenses are also smaller.

Can’t decide if it’s a bad idea to buy into more Oly when the brand has been sold. On the other hand buying a Pen-F means I can use my current lenses.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Can’t decide if it’s a bad idea to buy into more Oly when the brand has been sold. On the other hand buying a Pen-F means I can use my current lenses.

Keep the lenses and buy a Panasonic body.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Fools Infinite posted:

Most of the first party manufacturers are prioritizing optical quality, which definitely leads to more complex and heavy lenses.

There are a bunch of f2.8 lenses available for Sony that very compact.
Canon went with big signature lenses to convince the world that they were serious about RF mount (and buy themselves some time until the R5 was ready for release). However the recent f/11 lenses show they are prepared to do some novel things at the budget end too.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
How worried should I be about walking around without a lens cap on my camera during a day’s shooting?

With no mirror, I have heard that sun shining through the lens and on to the sensor constantly is bad times.

Obviously I don’t point my camera at the sun for hours or end but I’m getting kind of sick of replacing the lens cap every time.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nigel Tufnel posted:

How worried should I be about walking around without a lens cap on my camera during a day’s shooting?

With no mirror, I have heard that sun shining through the lens and on to the sensor constantly is bad times.

Obviously I don’t point my camera at the sun for hours or end but I’m getting kind of sick of replacing the lens cap every time.

Hood?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Turn it off and on frequently. I don’t do the DSLR thing and leave it on but wake it up with the shutter button. It helps that the Fujis have a power switch very usefully placed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I only leave my x100 on if I’m doing manual focus because it can reset between power cycles. It starts up so fast it doesn’t bug me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

For this to be a major issue, I'd think you'd have to have your camera pointed with the sun in the FOV of the lens during the brightest hours of the day. Generally, when I carry my camera I point the lens either down (camera clip) or roughly parallel to the ground (strap, sling). Under those circumstances I don't really forsee a situation where the sun would be in the fov of anything but the most insane wide-angle lenses. In other words, I wouldn't take a lunch break and set my camera down with the lens pointed toward the sky, but I think you'd be pretty safe in any common scenario.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do know someone who melted the bellows in a Leica with the sun.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That new panny looking sweet, but how bad is the L mount ecosystem?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

That new panny looking sweet, but how bad is the L mount ecosystem?

It’s not as bad as you would imagine. Sigma and Leica have filled in some of the holes left by Panasonic.

Being a newish system I would expect a pretty healthy roadmap for lenses.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nikon ais 85/1.4 is 80x73,5mm and 620g.

Sigma's new 85/1.4 is 83x94mm and 630g. At least they are again trying to make reasonably sized lenses again after a long lapse into oversized lenses.

Nikon's 77mm HN-31 metal screw in hood is made for 85/1.4 btw so if someone prefers "traditional" hoods that should work.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 8, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The new Panasonic’s are amazing, especially if you want to do that thing where you pick focus after you take a picture in post. But more importantly they have body stabilisation now so your old Olympus lenses won’t lack the IS if you switch.

Edit: apart from the Panasonic 100-300 all my m43 lenses are Sigma and Leica

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I have a x100s that has started to have problems with its autofocus. I've used the camera to varying degrees over the years but really got into it again lately. Because of that I think I want to get a mirrorless to get a bit more options with lenses. I'm not tied to Fuji, so I am curious what you all would rec to someone coming in without a tie to a system. I was looking at the Fuji X-E3 for price range but it seems to be out of stock everywhere anyway.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have a x100s that has started to have problems with its autofocus. I've used the camera to varying degrees over the years but really got into it again lately. Because of that I think I want to get a mirrorless to get a bit more options with lenses. I'm not tied to Fuji, so I am curious what you all would rec to someone coming in without a tie to a system. I was looking at the Fuji X-E3 for price range but it seems to be out of stock everywhere anyway.

I'm not sure of all the viewfinder sizes but I didn't get on with the XE2 because the viewfinder was notably smaller than the XT1. I used to own an X100 and I think the XE2 viewfinder was smaller. Something to check out.

A used XT2 might be worth a shot in that price range.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm not sure of all the viewfinder sizes but I didn't get on with the XE2 because the viewfinder was notably smaller than the XT1. I used to own an X100 and I think the XE2 viewfinder was smaller. Something to check out.

A used XT2 might be worth a shot in that price range.

Hmmm that is a really good point. Then I need to weigh size (dimensions/weight bc smaller is definitely better) vs the viewfinder upgrade haha. This is turning out to be tougher than I expected.
E: I wish I knew where to start with m43 too. Some Rangefinder style relatively recent body.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 9, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hmmm that is a really good point. Then I need to weigh size (dimensions/weight bc smaller is definitely better) vs the viewfinder upgrade haha. This is turning out to be tougher than I expected.
E: I wish I knew where to start with m43 too. Some Rangefinder style relatively recent body.

I have been debating a switch to Fuji and it’s a struggle picking between the XT30, XT4, and X100v.

If you have access to a camera store I would suggest going to a store and fondling cameras before buying one, this is my plan.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Nikon ais 85/1.4 is 80x73,5mm and 620g.

Sigma's new 85/1.4 is 83x94mm and 630g. At least they are again trying to make reasonably sized lenses again after a long lapse into oversized lenses.

What are those, LENSES FOR ANTS?

Proper 40mm prime pictured.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What are those, LENSES FOR ANTS?

Proper 40mm prime pictured.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nice lens cap bro

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I ran into a strange issue with my X100T today, I noticed that black and white images look WAY different on the LCD screen on the camera than they do when I transfer them to my phone. I double checked, and they're not shot in raw mode, they're just JPEGs. Any idea if something is going on at transfer time within the Fujifilm app?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That is strange. What application are you using to copy them over? Or are you just drag&dropping them from the file explorer/finder?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That is strange. What application are you using to copy them over? Or are you just drag&dropping them from the file explorer/finder?

I’m using Fuji’s Cam Remote app to transfer them to my phone. I’ll try and post a comparison...

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I've had phones with displays that would not render the darker parts of an image correctly and just clip to black. Maybe try a different display with the same files?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Is your phone screen brightness up, or does it have a dynamic brightness setting? I try to avoid looking at pictures on phones right away because of these, it makes it really hard to tell if the picture was exposed properly. I would generally trust looking through the viewfinder of the camera more.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'm an old so I use the viewfinder on my Fujifilms 95% of the time while shooting. Honestly I don't look at the photos too much for anything other than composition though until I've uploaded them. :/

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Phone/lcd screens can lie especially in sunlight, I always check the histogram to make sure the exposure is where it should be.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finally got around to listing my old micro 4/3 kit. Link here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=47&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sony crammed an a7III sensor into an a6600 body and it seems like the only casualty was a tiny viewfinder. It's too expensive at $1800 but might be a good buy in a couple years. IBIS, dust/weather "resistant." big battery, fairly compact.