Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You guys talking about RAM made me check my own RAM speed and despite XMP profile being enabled I'm only getting about half of the 3000 mhz advertised for my RAM sticks.

Probably just going to end up buying a new pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish MGS5 didn't happen so I could try Death Stranding but between vagina bombs and off camera rape scenes and "she's silent cause she's traumatized and she's half naked because she breathes through her skin" I'm just completely turned off Kojima

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

You guys talking about RAM made me check my own RAM speed and despite XMP profile being enabled I'm only getting about half of the 3000 mhz advertised for my RAM sticks.

Probably just going to end up buying a new pair.

3000MHz DDR ram will report as 1500MHz because that’s what the actual frequency is

That’s what the “double” in double data rate refers to. Two operations in one cycle.

You can google “RAM reports at half speed” and see a bunch of posts like this one: https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1346124-cpu-z-shows-ram-half-speed.html

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 6, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Interesting, despite building computers for the entirety of my adult life I never paid much attention to my RAM before.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I only figured it out after squinting at CPU-Z and going down the same road you did because I had no idea what I could be doing wrong

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mlmp08 posted:

When I’m in my car and see a dog, I say “Like!” because Kojima broke my brain.

Also your BB gets happy if you set a raccoon as a building hologram

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mustang posted:

Interesting, despite building computers for the entirety of my adult life I never paid much attention to my RAM before.

My XMP profile never sticks because it doesn't actually change the voltage and the computer boots at failsafe jedec speeds. I need to hop into the UEFI and set the voltage manually. Then the poo poo boots at 3200.

BIOS makers are god awful. It's probably because they think in microcode and don't exist at all in user land.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mlmp08 posted:

When I’m in my car and see a dog, I say “Like!” because Kojima broke my brain.

Also your BB gets happy if you set a raccoon as a building hologram

Just been out hiking for a few days and I'd just have "keep on keeping on" pop into my head constantly. Not gonna lie, I liked it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
into the breach is free on epic games and is well worth the money at full price. its not as good as ftl but what is

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Eej posted:

I wish MGS5 didn't happen so I could try Death Stranding but between vagina bombs and off camera rape scenes and "she's silent cause she's traumatized and she's half naked because she breathes through her skin" I'm just completely turned off Kojima

didnt want to ignore this bc yeah im the biggest mgsv fan here but i get it and its a lot to ask people when i have to explain why i like it so much

Death Stranding avoids a lot of the typical Kojima horniness and amputation. The most sex is talked about in the lore is that there's mention that many people are asexual now due to social impacts of game stuff.

Like I said though, if that stuff prevented you from trying Kojima before, this doesn't have that aspect of the MGS storyline at all. It's a cool story and worth playing, especially if you want to see why I like Kojima so much. It's a lot easier to point at this rather than Peace Walker/MGS3/MGS5

Also just to see Kojima's sense of direction as an actual director- his casting choices for the mocap actors really stuck with me. I'm still thinking about how good every one of them was, and his appreciation for film really shows in this.

Seriously, Del Toro won a place in my heart forever because of this, he was perfect.

Anyways yeah, its a really interesting story and I enjoyed the hell out of it and I'll stop apologizing for Kojima, but if you wanted to try one of his games out while avoiding his horny BS then this is really a good one to jump into imo. And this is someone who played Boktai, both Zone of Enders and Policenauts along with alllllll the metal gears for countless hundreds of hours like an obsessed idiot because I am. It works really well for the times we're in.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

There is a guy on yourtube that did a retrospective of all of Kojima games and kojima horniness is a running joke.
Edit:
Here is the first one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsDtqOyzoRQ

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 8, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

kojima is so horny

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The new-ish Battletech was on sale for like $10, and it ate my entire weekend :cry:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You should get into the breach cuz its free

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I will

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Battletech is good, and its also on gamepass.

gently caress the epic game store.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I won't buy a single game on the epic store, but I'm more than happy to take their free games. I already had an account so I could gently caress around with the unreal engine, so :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

Battletech is good, and its also on gamepass.

gently caress the epic game store.

Tim Sweeney is getting in a giant pissing match with both Apple and Google, and assumedly Valve as well over storefronts taking a 30% cut of the sale price, so more power to him, if it somehow ends in cheaper games or small devs forking over less of their cash to Valve.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ya epic tried to cut apple and google out of the cash store. 30% is a pretty deep cut for simply listing something. Cheaper games from it? Heh somehow I doubt that, but if devs can get more $ and make more games I'm all for the fight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Valve actually provides a lot of developer and user services that other storefronts don’t. Apple is a total rent-seeking leech in how they manage their store in comparison.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

orange juche posted:

Tim Sweeney is getting in a giant pissing match with both Apple and Google, and assumedly Valve as well over storefronts taking a 30% cut of the sale price, so more power to him, if it somehow ends in cheaper games or small devs forking over less of their cash to Valve.

It's the right fight by the wrong person that's only doable because Epic is a billion dollar company too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it’s basically like Thiel bringing down Gawker. Good loving riddance but also gently caress that guy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eej posted:

It's the right fight by the wrong person that's only doable because Epic is a billion dollar company too

It really is the encapsulation of the clickhole article "The Worst Person You Know Just Made a Great Point", because small devs really do get hosed over by Google and Apple with no recourse. Valve is better because they offer support to indie devs but 30% is still a big whack.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I bought Death Stranding full price on a whim from a youtube video I watched. Why am I having so much fun walking around?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Mustang posted:

I bought Death Stranding full price on a whim from a youtube video I watched. Why am I having so much fun walking around?

As terminal lance put it, it's a great grunt simulator, you're carrying an overpacked bag, walking everywhere, chugging monster and caring for someone else's kid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steezo posted:

As terminal lance put it, it's a great grunt simulator, you're carrying an overpacked bag, walking everywhere, chugging monster and caring for someone else's kid.

god drat

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Steezo posted:

holy poo poo

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's what hooked me in from the start. I could feel the impact in his heels as he tightens his shoulder straps and try not to bust rear end going down a steep hill.

It's funny I started playing this as land nav came up in the idiots thread, land nav was one of the few things I thoroughly enjoyed doing in the Army.

No idea what's going on in the story but it's weird and I like it.

Been playing Hideo Kojima games my whole life, should have known I would like Death Stranding.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mustang posted:

That's what hooked me in from the start. I could feel the impact in his heels as he tightens his shoulder straps and try not to bust rear end going down a steep hill.

It's funny I started playing this as land nav came up in the idiots thread, land nav was one of the few things I thoroughly enjoyed doing in the Army.

Been playing Hideo Kojima games my whole life, should have known I would like Death Stranding.

just wait until you unlock new ways to get around

poo poo gets crazy fun

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Death Stranding honestly ends up having one of the more coherent stories.

And late game when you can really move, you feel like such an rear end when you get cocky and go down.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

im just gonna post Thorhighheels review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2HfpEdTK8

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm 5 or 6 hours into the game and I haven't fallen over once. A couple times I fell forward over a ledge and somehow kept my footing when I thought for sure I would fall and definitely should have broken my ankles.

Haven't damaged any packages since the rain seems to just erode the containers and not what's inside them.

I'm at the point where you almost get to Port Knot City and then they send you back to Capital Knot City.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
IIRC, my end of game stats after 80+ hours was maybe 12 whole falls, and three of those were in one game session while I was drunk and fleeing from ghosties.

But on one of those falls I watched like 90kg of cargo tumble down a mountainside :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

this may sound silly but I played Clubhouse Games for the first time in a bit with the kiddo and forgot how good it was.

If you're stuck in lockdown with kids/partners/etc and have a switch and joycons it's def a worthwhile purchase

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Started playing MWO

Bought a Bushwacker and loaded it out with SRM-6s

The game is insanely bare-bones but is also a lot of fun!?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fallom posted:

Started playing MWO

Bought a Bushwacker and loaded it out with SRM-6s

The game is insanely bare-bones but is also a lot of fun!?

No. It's not good at all. The Hairebrained Schemes Battletech is a good and fun game though.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Steezo posted:

Mustang posted:

That's what hooked me in from the start.

:eyepop:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hekk posted:

No. It's not good at all. The Hairebrained Schemes Battletech is a good and fun game though.

Hard agree. I just got my first assault mech (an AWESOME) and deleting enemy mechs with it is more satisfying than it has any right to be :getin:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

valve used their game engine as leverage to force developers into using steam so you're an idiot if you think epic is somehow worse. The cut that valve takes is loving insane and they specifically give dogshit deals to smaller companies since they can't afford to not sell on steam.

at least epic is developing an engine and helping devs with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PookBear posted:

valve used their game engine as leverage to force developers into using steam so you're an idiot if you think epic is somehow worse. The cut that valve takes is loving insane and they specifically give dogshit deals to smaller companies since they can't afford to not sell on steam.

at least epic is developing an engine and helping devs with it

Epic forces popup adds on my desktop that sometimes minimize programs I'm actually using. gently caress Epic.