Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That's the mess I was thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the world was annihilated by nuclear hellfire and this man was obliterated, leaving nothing but his charred skeleton and tattered cloth scraps

oh, and a fresh apple. untouched. pristine.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The White Dragon posted:

the americana satire was ok in fallout 1 and 2 because it was barely part of the backdrop. you spent all your time in caves and temples shooting at giant bugs, and in shanty citadels breaking the rules and kiting security forces while braining them using your shotgun stock as a warclub. everything afterwards just leans too hard into it, like the loading screens are all kitschy 50s style ads without any of the cultural growth associated with technological growth, and everything feels like the developers masturbating and tittering, look at this city, it's named after a sign and one letter peeled off aren't we clever! please clap

the problem with fallout 1 and 2 was the nonstop references that weren't 50s things, it wasn't so much dumb 50s kitsch as dumb 90s kitsch

it still wasn't too bad, but it suffers from a lot of typical post-apoc media problems

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I typically have no issue with complicated settings, but I found RetroArch to be a convoluted mess to set up, to the point where it feels like it was done intentionally so emulation nerds can feel superior over the fact that they bothered to set it up at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am starting to feel bad about assuming that because it's been easy and intuitive for me that that would apply universally

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

one time i was setting up a retropie so naturally I went and downloaded a big .rar of every rom ever and it was loving useless because it had every version of every localization of every game, 20-30 roms of a given gama sometimes. the UI was useless for scrolling through all of it on the pi or figuring out which one I actually wanted to play. i curse the nerd who made that rom pack

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Retroarch is the "most comprehensive" emulator but also is the one I hate the most and it's not even really an emulator it's just a frontend for a bunch of disparate emulators.

But OpenEMU on MacOS? Holy poo poo that's the right kinda front-end. It's far, far less customizable or whatever than retroarch (and thus retropi) but that's really not a big deal because it's incredibly user-friendly. Launchbox is kind of the middle ground between the two.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I typically have no issue with complicated settings, but I found RetroArch to be a convoluted mess to set up, to the point where it feels like it was done intentionally so emulation nerds can feel superior over the fact that they bothered to set it up at all.

i just tried to fix the issue i mentioned on the pc version but all it lets me do is remap the keys globally, but not per emulator, so that leaves my controller either stuck in A-B crab hands land for 2-button consoles or id have to swap everything but that fucks up the snes and other controls, if there is a way to do it per-emulator i have not found it, do you create profiles or something? it's not intuitive at all

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

jokes posted:

Retroarch is the "most comprehensive" emulator but also is the one I hate the most and it's not even really an emulator it's just a frontend for a bunch of disparate emulators.

But OpenEMU on MacOS? Holy poo poo that's the right kinda front-end. It's far, far less customizable or whatever than retroarch (and thus retropi) but that's really not a big deal because it's incredibly user-friendly. Launchbox is kind of the middle ground between the two.

i don't bother with retroarch's horrible rom list. i just open explorer and drag the roms from there to retroarch's window. drag and drop works much better imho.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shibawanko posted:

i just tried to fix the issue i mentioned on the pc version but all it lets me do is remap the keys globally, but not per emulator, so that leaves my controller either stuck in A-B crab hands land for 2-button consoles or id have to swap everything but that fucks up the snes and other controls, if there is a way to do it per-emulator i have not found it, do you create profiles or something? it's not intuitive at all

Load up a game, open the menu with f1 (should say Quick Menu on top left), scroll down to Controls, edit port 1 controls, save core remap file (or game remap file if you want per game control sets)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

poverty goat posted:

one time i was setting up a retropie so naturally I went and downloaded a big .rar of every rom ever and it was loving useless because it had every version of every localization of every game, 20-30 roms of a given gama sometimes. the UI was useless for scrolling through all of it on the pi or figuring out which one I actually wanted to play. i curse the nerd who made that rom pack

Couldn't you just go into the .rar on your PC and delete the poo poo ones?

(Also, on Fallout: the '50s Americana/classic sci-fi stuff is like the best part of the series.)

cargohills fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 9, 2020

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
pre-10 Final Fantasy games should have had more gimmick fights and dungeons that were more than "here's an introduction to a mechanic you can use". Magnet cave dungeon? awesome idea do more like that.

now to get in my time machine

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrPossum posted:

pre-10 Final Fantasy games should have had more gimmick fights and dungeons that were more than "here's an introduction to a mechanic you can use". Magnet cave dungeon? awesome idea do more like that.

now to get in my time machine

you arrive, and while your ideas are held in esteem by hironobu sakaguchi, this is simply impossible to fit on the cart. tetsuya nomura spits jealously whenever he says your name

welcome to 1991

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pre-10 ff games encompasses like half of the entire history of video games lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

i wish they would make another good fallout game.

they did it's called Death Stranding

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They played Nethack once and then decided to add the magnetic cave. An odd, not great dungeon with a mechanic that was happily never used again!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i got totally wrecked by a savage encounter in Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and lost a half hour of progress because i was dumb and hadn't saved in a while and....it was weirdly kind of refreshing?

like i'm sure that sounds weird as hell but it was kind of a nice feeling knowing that even in a turn based rpg there were encounters outside of bosses that would gently caress me right up if i wasn't paying attention

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

fallout is dumb and its tagline, "war never changes", makes no sense because it seems like the invention of the nuke was a pretty big change in the nature of warfare and thats what the whole game is about??

shitposting. shitposting never changes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jokes posted:

They played Nethack once and then decided to add the magnetic cave. An odd, not great dungeon with a mechanic that was happily never used again!

i doubt it what the hell even is this, nethack wiki doesnt have it, google aint showing it

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Khanstant posted:

i doubt it what the hell even is this, nethack wiki doesnt have it, google aint showing it

I guess talking about that bit in nethack that wrecks all your metal gear?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i bet so many people put a bunch of money and effort into some raspberry pi emulator thing and used it twice and then realised they had already played all the snes games they are interested in

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I don't know if this is unpopular but grid based strategy RPGs are better than free movement ones like Mordheim or Valkria Chronicles.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
grids own

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My RetroPie serves mostly as a museum I stroll through once every couple weeks or so, mostly sticking to the "nostalgia" and "stuff I couldn't play" wings.

I can understand why someone who makes perfect emulation or physical game ownership a significant part of their personal life not being satisfied with that, though.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Pokemon should return to moving on tiles

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khanstant posted:

Nethack has a ton of odd interactions for some reason. I think there was a video talking about greasing up your armor and a kraken being unable to grab you? And if you don't use a towel to wipe your hands, your greased up hands will drop your weapon or something. It reminded me of the magnetic cave which was just.. a weird addition to FF4. Can't use most equipment now! Kind of!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Greasing your helmet makes it harder for mind flayers to suck your brain out with their tentacles :eng101:.
Nethack is full of neat little details and hand-made interactions for all sorts of edge cases. If you polymorph into a Rust Monster you can eat metal items, including any magical rings that have been randomly generated to be made of metal this game. But if it turns out to be a ring of slow digestion, you'll fail to eat it and get a message that it's inedible.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flannelette posted:

I guess talking about that bit in nethack that wrecks all your metal gear?

Metal Gear?!

I miss David Hayter in MGSV :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Icochet posted:

You're thinking of gay mermen

Aquaman sequel getting interesting

food court bailiff posted:

i got totally wrecked by a savage encounter in Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and lost a half hour of progress because i was dumb and hadn't saved in a while and....it was weirdly kind of refreshing?

like i'm sure that sounds weird as hell but it was kind of a nice feeling knowing that even in a turn based rpg there were encounters outside of bosses that would gently caress me right up if i wasn't paying attention

With so many games especially JRPGs and AAA blockbusters that are basically set up for you to sleepwalk through them it's nice to be reminded that a game is actually trying to challenge you and not just make you press buttons to turn the page

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

I don't know if this is unpopular but grid based strategy RPGs are better than free movement ones like Mordheim or Valkria Chronicles.

I don't care for strategy but grid-based movement in adventure games is superior because it's so loving much faster. You can spend forty thousand hours slowly walking around Baldur's Gate alone but you can walk the entirety of a continent in like ten seconds in Dragon Wars.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I liked Valkyria Chronicles until the obligatory beach episode which also dropped the incest bomb. Animes gotta anime I guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

yeah i didnt like valkyria chronicles at all because of the lack of a nice grid, grids in general are underrated. grids are clear and make it easier to build or place stuff or predict what the result of a certain action is going to be. invisible inc is a good example, that game wouldnt be possible, or would just suck, if it were based on free movement

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Wasteland 3 has the best post-apoc referencing to ~americana~ bullshit because it has a faction called the Gippers and they worship ronald reagan as an actual deity, referring to him as "god-president reagan", and you can kill the lot of em

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Wasteland 3 has the best post-apoc referencing to ~americana~ bullshit because it has a faction called the Gippers and they worship ronald reagan as an actual deity, referring to him as "god-president reagan", and you can kill the lot of em

I'm going to support a time machine kickstarter so I can go back and pre-order the game :vince:

e: Does the game have Reagan's grave and is there a <P>iss hotkey?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i didnt like valkyria chronicles at all because of the lack of a nice grid, grids in general are underrated. grids are clear and make it easier to build or place stuff or predict what the result of a certain action is going to be. invisible inc is a good example, that game wouldnt be possible, or would just suck, if it were based on free movement

I only really played VC 2 but the lack of a grid did often make it so I had like 5 troops piled up on top of eachother.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

barkbell posted:

grids own

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

is pepsi ok posted:

This makes sense since Bahamut Lagoon is one of the best games ever made.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shibawanko posted:

I think a grid would have hurt valkyria pretty bad. It would have wrecked the tps part of the tps/tbs hybrid that made it fun. Totally understand the general case though, games that simulate pulling out your measuring tape and calculating how far you can walk/shoot tend to be painful and you can almost never plan out multiple moves in advance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

This makes sense since Bahamut Lagoon is one of the best games ever made.

Bahamut Lagoon made a generation of Japanese gamers very, very angry at a digital woman so it'll always have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barudak posted:

Bahamut Lagoon made a generation of Japanese gamers very, very angry at a digital woman so it'll always have that.

Really? Explain? I have no real knowledge about it other than just finding the rom and playing it.