Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Given that editors and reviewers typically work for free, while authors pay a fee (which can be 4 figures per paper) to publish in a journal, and then the journals turn around and charge the same institutions who actually employ all that free labour tens or hundreds of thousands a year for access, I'm honestly surprised their margins aren't higher. Half the journals don't even have a print edition any more, it would seem like their main cost is hosting. It's impossible to overstate just how exploitative even well-respected and mainstream journals are, let alone the so-called predatory publishers.

is it expensive because only a few people will pay before the findings become public though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

It's very profitable when the state and institutions pay people to create things and then you can pay 50p to copy it and charge £50 to access it.

Always :filez: academic papers if you don't have work/uni access, you're not stealing from the people that did any of the work.

Don't even bother stealing them, just email the author of record, chances are they'll be happy to send you a copy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Swindon was a husk barely dragging itself along when we went there Saturday. The entire place is covered in grafitti and all the shops in the mall were closed or having a closing down sale. I know it doesn't have a great reputation but it looked like the place was on the verge of abandonment.

just to say im enjoying these. why does your partner want to live there?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't even bother stealing them, just email the author of record, chances are they'll be happy to send you a copy.

It's less effort to steal them, and given how often some academics take to respond to emails much faster to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So yes, a smartphone app is more fundamentally secure than a website in a browser. For peace of mind I'd make sure to use a phone with a fingerprint reader, as unlike a pin it's impossible to input without your physical presence.

I see a lot of chopped off hands in the future.....

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Forgive me for dumping personal poo poo here (no, it’s not fudge related) but depressingly enough these days I have very few other people to talk to.

We found out yesterday that my wife, on top of having recently become almost non-functional due to depression and anxiety, has a 5cm cyst on her ovary. I’m driving her all over the place today for urgent blood tests and doing my best to be supportive, but I’m beginning to majorly freak out myself. Just had a test for cancer markers and an ectopic pregnancy and off for some more in five minutes.

Does anyone know more about this that can tell me that it’s not likely to be cancerous, that it isn’t likely to stop us having kids (been trying for almost a year with nothing other than a super late period a few months ago- which is probably when this thing started) or whatever? Or is that just asking for false hope?

Between this, her mental state, the upcoming move, the various dramas with the cats and y’know, the state of the entire loving world we’re both starting to struggle with our will to fight tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think ovarian cysts are fairly common? I have one on a nut (a cyst, not an ovarian one) quite inert but still merited a doctor visit to make sure.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ovarian-cyst/

They are apparently usually non cancerous especially if you are pre-menopausal.

Essentially your body is full of pretty fine tubes and likes to fill them with crap so they block up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 9, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

Forgive me for dumping personal poo poo here (no, it’s not fudge related) but depressingly enough these days I have very few other people to talk to.

We found out yesterday that my wife, on top of having recently become almost non-functional due to depression and anxiety, has a 5cm cyst on her ovary. I’m driving her all over the place today for urgent blood tests and doing my best to be supportive, but I’m beginning to majorly freak out myself. Just had a test for cancer markers and an ectopic pregnancy and off for some more in five minutes.

Does anyone know more about this that can tell me that it’s not likely to be cancerous, that it isn’t likely to stop us having kids (been trying for almost a year with nothing other than a super late period a few months ago- which is probably when this thing started) or whatever? Or is that just asking for false hope?

Between this, her mental state, the upcoming move, the various dramas with the cats and y’know, the state of the entire loving world we’re both starting to struggle with our will to fight tbh.

Have a read of this article, may calm your fears about an ovarian cyst somewhat:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ovarian-cyst/#overview

I'm not the useful kind of doctor, but I think she will be ok physically as she's quite young I believe.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tarnop posted:

Just be ready for the fight to last multiple years, and even if you win they can start the fight over again immediately with a snap reassessment
Neither part of this is true in my experience.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

hmm I wonder what happened to "well the government/big pharma will just force them to rush out a vaccine without doing the proper testing"

No one I saw was arguing no testing at all would happen, so I think you're just being an arse.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry to hear that Camrath :(

On the subject of phone security: you can’t really beat a strong alphanumeric passcode for general purpose, but this is too time consuming for most people who realistically don’t need that level of security.

If it’s the police you need your phone secure from it’s essential to not use biometrics. If you’re arrested with a device with biometric security they can just trick/force you to open it - no need for RIPA. If, however, it’s a passcode that’s stored in your brain, they require a RIPA notice to legally compel you to open it. In many cases they won’t be able to get this anyway - last time I was in this situation they handed me something they told me was RIPA but on actual my reading it it was just a formal request that I open my phone. After much confirming that this was not in fact a RIPA notice, I told them to gently caress off and haven’t heard anything since.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, that's the one! Fortunately (?!) I was in the middle of building a load of instagram targeted ads when the news came out so I've at least dodged that expense!

If anyone is a Beer52 subscriber and gets the magazine (Ferment) with it I should be in the next one as well, which is exciting.

Nice!
I'm not subbed anymore because too many boring pales, but that's still pretty cool!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

On the subject of phone biometrics and people forcing access to your phone, both android and iOS have a 'lockdown' mode that you can enable in the settings. On Android this puts an option in your power menu to lockdown/disable biometrics, I assume it's something similar on iOS.

So, if you're expecting to interact with people who may wish to access your phone (eg going to a protest), hit the lockdown button whenever you're done using your phone. If you're unexpectedly interacting with people who may be interested in the contents of your phone the best thing you can do is just hold the power button for a few seconds to shut down your phone - when it reboots the biometrics are always disabled until you enter your passcode.

For almost all use cases biometrics and an 10+ character passcode that you only occasionally have to enter are more secure than no biometrics and a passcode that you'll eventually shorten to 4 digits out of frustration having to enter it 100+ times a day.

blunt fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 9, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They really are speed running a fascist rogue state

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1303672418947543045?s=19

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
How low will the pound go today!
How much will Boris and his cronies make today on this.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Can we quickly summarise the new rules as “you can meet in a group of up to 6, unless there’s a till involved in which case it’s fine”? Because that’s increasingly what it looks like.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

No one I saw was arguing no testing at all would happen, so I think you're just being an arse.

So just that it would be rushed and/ineffective? Which still doesn’t seem to be the case, does it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

How low will the pound go today!
How much will Boris and his cronies make today on this.

GBP has dropped from €1.12 to €1.095 since the announcement.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

GBPEUR is crazy, I can genuinely see parity being on the cards in the next year.

The fact that GBPUSD is still pretty steady only shows how hosed the US is too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gonna use the Internal Market Bill to meet socially in a group of 7 or more.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Can someone give me the name of the funds that the brexiteers are invested in, banking on the total collapse of the British economy post-brexit?
If I stop buying niche coffees and avocado toast* for a couple of months and used the £000s I would save, I could make a killing instead.

:guillotine:

(joking!)

*(Disclaimer: I almost never buy a niche coffee out, I usually have a glass of water when my associates are swigging back coffee at £3.95 a cup in costa or nero or wherever. And I have no idea what avocado toast even is - and not interested enough to google.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 9, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

GBPEUR is crazy, I can genuinely see parity being on the cards in the next year.

The fact that GBPUSD is still pretty steady only shows how hosed the US is too.

GBPUSD still dropped enough to make me wish I had done what I thought of last week when £ was riding high and stocked up my paypal USD ready to pay my hosting fees next month!
Maybe it'll go up again before then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's toast what you mash an avocado onto.

Having not eaten an avocado I can't tell you what it tastes like.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pilchenstein posted:

Neither part of this is true in my experience.

I'm 5 months into the second year of my appeal, and have been told that there's no minimum time between a successful appeal and a reassessment

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's toast what you mash an avocado onto.

Having not eaten an avocado I can't tell you what it tastes like.

In my youth, ripe avocado 'meat' with a banana mashed up with extra thick double cream and scattered with cashew nuts was very nice thank you. The tastes blend well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds horrifying enough with the bits I am familiar with but I will take your word that the fruit slurry is appealing.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

So just that it would be rushed and/ineffective? Which still doesn’t seem to be the case, does it?

If people thought some testing would be done, you can't argue that they're wrong because some testing has been done. However often you try.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Smashed avocado on sourdough toast is actually amazing, Hipsters Was Right

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Inspiring to see that they're still sending TV survey men to the door in these precarious times. The shows must go on, as they say.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The pushback against Smashed Avacados was always mental.

It's a nice lunch food (you are just spreading Avacado on toast. Adding a bit of salt, olive oil and tomato to taste.) But it's not ruinously expensive.

It's not like those £80 beef sandwiches they marketed to bankers back in the day.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only person who doesn't have any form of password to get into my smartphone? It's a recent one so I must have disabled it, though I don't remember doing so.

Jokes on you if you try to steal my money, my bank account is emptier than Priti Patel's head and I haven't got an overdraft.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Personal favourite avocado toast is with finely diced onion & cherry toms & a shitload of lime juice & salt & pepper, on thick-cut farmhouse toast, topped with smoked salmon & a poached egg

Yes I like to eat the bougie food items, no I will not apologise

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A bit of budget pate and some stilton on toast. Wakes you right the hell up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lady Demelza posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't have any form of password to get into my smartphone? It's a recent one so I must have disabled it, though I don't remember doing so.

Jokes on you if you try to steal my money, my bank account is emptier than Priti Patel's head and I haven't got an overdraft.

I used the fingerprint thing once, had a chuckle, then disabled everything.

My online banking still uses a physical keypad thingy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Are we now listing food that will have to be smuggled into the UK next year?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

beans (backside)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

happyhippy posted:

Are we now listing food that will have to be smuggled into the UK next year?
Stilton will need to be smuugled out of the UK, don't you remember the Japan trade talks :colbert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Borrovan posted:

Stilton will need to be smuugled out of the UK, don't you remember the Japan trade talks :colbert:

Stilton will be the bartering currency.
So will pasties and blue passports.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I'm currently on a 4.5 hour train journey and I can confirm there is less than 6 people on this carriage however I'm still trying to work out how to each my lunch while keeping my mask on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpicePro posted:

I'm currently on a 4.5 hour train journey and I can confirm there is less than 6 people on this carriage however I'm still trying to work out how to each my lunch while keeping my mask on.

kecske posted:

beans (backside)