Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm going to ignore you for a while. Let me know when you're done ranting and raving about CVs.

You put me on ignore for explaining that someone else was talking about rocket planes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

toadee posted:

You put me on ignore for explaining that someone else was talking about rocket planes?

its because your posts are really bad

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goast posted:

its because your posts are really bad

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm going to ignore you for a while. Let me know when you're done ranting and raving about CVs.

going to?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Der Shovel posted:

I had to completely reinstall WoWS recently and lost all my settings, and for whatever reason the "track shell / torpedo after firing" button now wants to fire a shell / torpedo and then track it, rather than tracking shells / torps I've already fired.

Is this a toggle I can set in some menu 50 levels deep, or did I accidentally have some mod previously?

Are you using the bind normally set to Z (under "camera"), or to middle mouse button (under "weapons")? Middle mouse button is fire, then track, while Z is track already fired ordinance.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hazdoc posted:

Are you using the bind normally set to Z (under "camera"), or to middle mouse button (under "weapons")? Middle mouse button is fire, then track, while Z is track already fired ordinance.

Huh. I have no idea, so probably I'm using the wrong one! Cheers!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
My issue with missiles is just as much from the environment/setting as any gameplay impacts. To me the ships in this game should have been designed (and preferably actually built, but that ship has sailed long ago) between 1900-1945. I can allow them another few years for some of their paper designs (and even real ships like Midway, Gearing, Alaska and I think Des Moines didn't quite make it in time before Japan's surrender).

I'm not a huge fan of attack/rocket planes from CVs for the same reason since as far as I know that wasn't really a thing (maybe the rocket planes should have just been put in as fighters strafing with cannons). But I can see why they added them for variety's sake.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Maybe when submarines come the CV hate will stohahahahahahahaha.

Turns out tier IV is just as bad as it ever was; tier VIII and above have spoiled me with their big numbers and accurate guns. My Italian semi-armour piercing doesn't make big numbers yet but they're alright to play.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stanley Pain posted:

WTF are you smoking? Re-read what he wrote.

I realize this might be hard to grasp for the kind of individual that plays 300 games in the conqueror without breaking 90 thousand average damage, but the CV can steer its planes while they fly to the enemy ship

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I have over a hundred games in the Georgia and my avg damage isn't even 80k :blush:

(56% win rate anyway because the georgia is an obscenity)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

The game doesn't play out as separate 1v1 engagements. That's kinda the point I'm trying to drive home here. If the current thing you are doing is being blocked by that dirty CV go do something else. That means some of the time you might be sitting there with your thumb up your butt, or eating poo poo from something else, etc.

If a CV has a hate boner for you, take em for a ride and waste their time while your team does something constructive. I know this argument has been said before but CVs really do counter people sniping from way back, or island humping, etc with 0 recourse. Some of you have hand waved that away but I think some of you have forgotten how lovely that was to play against as well.

Positioning yourself to set up advantageous engagements is the game. Except when a CV is involved, because you can go through all that trouble to drag an enemy ship into a 1v1 or 2v1 or make sure all the enemies are in the same direction, and then a plane squadron can just waltz in at any time and throw the whole thing into disarray.

CVs don't "counter" people staying out of range and turtling up. In fact, they incentivize it. Sure, CVs can do a bit of damage to people sitting in otherwise safe areas that your surface ships can't easily reach. But they can do tremendously more damage by attacking people that are actively engaged with surface ships or spotting people that are trying to sneak up on surface ships. It's trivial for them to attack from any direction and set up a no-win situation where the target is forced to sit there and take it because dodging the airstrike means exposing their broadside to enemy surface ships. The only real counterplay for that is keeping your distance and playing defensively so that you can easily disengage from your surface engagements to focus on avoiding planes if a carrier comes after you. Which tends to lead to stuff like sniping from long range and hiding behind islands, because carriers can easily punish aggressive play.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kaesarsosei posted:

But I can see why they added them for variety's sake.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/72 if you want some variety :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZxoyeVIgJ8

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

I realize this might be hard to grasp for the kind of individual that plays 300 games in the conqueror without breaking 90 thousand average damage, but the CV can steer its planes while they fly to the enemy ship

Are you actually trying to make a point here?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Positioning yourself to set up advantageous engagements is the game. Except when a CV is involved, because you can go through all that trouble to drag an enemy ship into a 1v1 or 2v1 or make sure all the enemies are in the same direction, and then a plane squadron can just waltz in at any time and throw the whole thing into disarray.

CVs don't "counter" people staying out of range and turtling up. In fact, they incentivize it. Sure, CVs can do a bit of damage to people sitting in otherwise safe areas that your surface ships can't easily reach. But they can do tremendously more damage by attacking people that are actively engaged with surface ships or spotting people that are trying to sneak up on surface ships. It's trivial for them to attack from any direction and set up a no-win situation where the target is forced to sit there and take it because dodging the airstrike means exposing their broadside to enemy surface ships. The only real counterplay for that is keeping your distance and playing defensively so that you can easily disengage from your surface engagements to focus on avoiding planes if a carrier comes after you. Which tends to lead to stuff like sniping from long range and hiding behind islands, because carriers can easily punish aggressive play.

This is precisely why the CV clan battles metas devolved into:

Hakuryu, 2x Stalingrad, 4x Venezia for the T10 season

Ryujo, 4x Graf Spee, 2x Huanghe/Perth for the T6 season

The only informed play to make is blob up as far away as possible so that the map isn't physically large enough to create an angle on you. Find a ship that can move and smoke at the same time so it can try to steal the cap and then run to the rest of the blob

Absolutely the dumbest meta possible and literally the ONLY meta possible with CVs in higher level competitive play

Edit: also those were RANGE MOD Stalingrads, a thing that just shouldn't ever have to exist

toadee fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 9, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you actually trying to make a point here?

if you have 338 games in the literal easiest ship in the game and have not figured out how to play it, it is unlikely that you fully understand game mechanics

(also stop giving people advice)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

James Garfield posted:

if you have 338 games in the literal easiest ship in the game and have not figured out how to play it, it is unlikely that you fully understand game mechanics

ohh stats callouts, this is where the thread always gets fun.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Aramoro posted:

ohh stats callouts, this is where the thread always gets fun.

Yes its definitely unreasonable to suggest that someone objectively bad at the game might not posses the experience and knowledge required for a meaningful analysis of its tactics or balance

e: Stat shaming is dumb when its like "hurr ur bad at the game so ur stupid at life", but "you are bad at the game so your analysis of it and gameplay advice are not very insightful" is a perfectly reasonable position.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

toadee posted:

Yes its definitely unreasonable to suggest that someone objectively bad at the game might not posses the experience and knowledge required for a meaningful analysis of its tactics or balance

e: Stat shaming is dumb when its like "hurr ur bad at the game so ur stupid at life", but "you are bad at the game so your analysis of it and gameplay advice are not very insightful" is a perfectly reasonable position.

By that measure we should be listening to NT Rabbit about things but we all know that's not true.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Don't worry they, will continue to mock the highest rated clans full of the most skilled players who participate in organized competitive events and hate that carriers exist as they do to the point of not participating in lucrative (in-game) events in protest.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I tried asymmetric, seems like a fun concept, except for every game having a T8 CV in it.

AA does gently caress all at the same tier, having t8 planes parked above my T5 DD is a real loving fun.

Can this game die already so I can find something better to do with my time please.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

:laffo: Yeah my stats are average in the game. What's your point again?

I play this game with my daughter because she enjoys yelling boom boom when ships fire their guns, or calling out "bad guys" to shoot. This means that any game where I let her control/shoot things are going to be terrible. They bring my stats way down. But you know what, I'm having a blast watching her play and she has a blast hootin' and hollerin' when I play. :shrug: Fun time in game >>> Stats going brrrr....

I'm sorry your brain is broken.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I play this game with my daughter because she enjoys yelling boom boom when ships fire their guns, or calling out "bad guys" to shoot. This means that any game where I let her control/shoot things are going to be terrible. They bring my stats way down. But you know what, I'm having a blast watching her play and she has a blast hootin' and hollerin' when I play. :shrug: Fun time in game >>> Stats going brrrr....

I'm sorry your brain is broken.

This is fine and sounds fun and very lovely for the both of you. The question is why anyone with this approach and mindset to the game would think they then also have a deeper understanding of it than people who actively try every day to improve and become the best they can be at the game, and spend their time discussing the game with others who are also actively trying to be as good as possible at the game. There is NOTHING wrong with playing for fun and just goofing off with your daughter and have a good time, but that is not a level of engagement with the game that is going to afford you the same perspective on balance and tactical issues as those who play daily with competitive players, and play to be competitive and improve every day.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Kerrow posted:

I tried asymmetric, seems like a fun concept, except for every game having a T8 CV in it.

AA does gently caress all at the same tier, having t8 planes parked above my T5 DD is a real loving fun.

Can this game die already so I can find something better to do with my time please.

Ssssh don't mention CVs ffs...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kerrow posted:

Be the change you want to see, play the T8 CV in the Asymmetric game.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

you are considerably below average in the Conqueror, the easiest ship in the game. also the average player in this game is very bad.

being bad at the game is not an indictment by itself, but if you're telling people who are verifiably better than you how to play the game there is a lack of self awareness here.

Stanley Pain posted:

That sounds fun but if your daughter is playing the game for you I don't know why you think you know how to play the game and she is probably better

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

you are considerably below average in the Conqueror, the easiest ship in the game. also the average player in this game is very bad.

Hrrm, let's see. Average in Damage, Frags and Winrate. Hrrmm..

Going to stop arguing with you now. We see the game from completely different perspectives and have different goals in mind. That doesn't preclude someone from having an informed opinion about the game. Your arguments always seem to push some extreme comparison for some reason and it's kinda exhausting.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
You do realize that you can have high stats and still have wrong opinions, yes? And you have average or even low stats and still have correct opinions?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I played a game today in ognevoi and found myself a juicy carrier. Not only did it take long to kill (with help of another gun destroyer), but the stupid thing was almost as fast as my stupid ship. :classiclol:
Now I don't know if I met fastest carrier in a slowest destroyer, but it just feels pretty bad if you want to yell at me that it is historically accurate then gently caress you, i'm not playing history book here

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think carriers should be as fast as they are (or be able to turn as fast as they can). Not sure why they are this way to begin with. If a DD sneaks up on you as a CV you basically shouldn't be able to get away.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

That doesn't preclude someone from having an informed opinion about the game.

No, it doesn't. There are a lot of average players who have informed opinions about the game. You however do not, which is probably related to the fact that you are too stupid for words to describe.

It however isn't coincidental that none of the people defending CVs in the thread are any good at the game. Whether or not you're an idiot, figuring out how to perform at a certain level in a ship almost requires you to understand things like positioning, concealment, and angling, which CVs ignore and thus break the game. That level is however considerably above average, since the average warships player is absolutely horrible.

Cobbsprite posted:

You do realize that you can have high stats and still have wrong opinions, yes? And you have average or even low stats and still have correct opinions?

It's possible and there are plenty of people who can understand the game mechanics behind CVs without being super elite players, but again it is not coincidental that the people who are apologizing for CVs and giving lovely advice for "CV counterplay" that causes you to lose the game are bad.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 9, 2020

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

commando in tophat posted:

I played a game today in ognevoi and found myself a juicy carrier. Not only did it take long to kill (with help of another gun destroyer), but the stupid thing was almost as fast as my stupid ship. :classiclol:
Now I don't know if I met fastest carrier in a slowest destroyer, but it just feels pretty bad if you want to yell at me that it is historically accurate then gently caress you, i'm not playing history book here

To be honest it's not worth CV hunting in dds, if they are half competent they will kite you away at pretty much your speed and kill you with planes or light you up for their team to do the same. They are too tough for your puny HE to do much except light fires on occasion and your ap will be ineffective at almost any range, if you are super unlucky it's a secondary specced GZ or something dumb and he will now you away himself. You want to turn away and hunt literally anything else or hope your BB are on the ball and hit them with a sufficient shell caliber.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

James Garfield posted:

being bad at the game is not an indictment by itself, but if you're telling people who are verifiably better than you how to play the game there is a lack of self awareness here.

That sounds fun but if your daughter is playing the game for you I don't know why you think you know how to play the game and she is probably better

Hey remember when I said playing with many goons that play this dumb game was pretty miserable and that if you disagree on a topic they get elitist about stats?

Yeah this, right here, word for word, is what I'm talking about.

As you read this thread, dear reader, ask yourself "wait, am I signing up to have random dudes dredge my stats over a videogame when I share my opinion on boats?" And if the answer is no, my suggestion is, don't play with the goons that play WoWs, find a chill place where you are allowed to have opinions, lol.

Also as you can see, this person feels 100% justified in making this post. As in, as far as they can see, there's nothing wrong with it.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 9, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

As you read this thread, dear reader, ask yourself "wait, am I signing up to have random idiots pull this kind of crap over a videogame when I share my opinion on boats?" And if the answer is no, my suggestion is, don't play with the goons that play WoWs, find a chill place where you are allowed to have opinions, lol.

My opinion on the shape of the earth is that it's flat because it looks flat. If you tell me that I'm still in kindergarten and I haven't learned about it yet that's unfair harassment and I'm not allowed to have opinions.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

James Garfield posted:

My opinion on the shape of the earth is that it's flat because it looks flat. If you tell me that I'm still in kindergarten and I haven't learned about it yet that's unfair harassment and I'm not allowed to have opinions.

My dude, have you considered engaging with people on the content of their points, instead of implying they are noobs and wrong because your stats > their stats ergo your opinion is correct?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My dude, have you considered engaging with people on the content of their points, instead of implying they are noobs and wrong because your stats > their stats ergo your opinion is correct?

Yeah we've uh, covered the points over and over

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

To his credit there have been no counter points. There has been no content to defend CV's nor any attempt to present a reasoned argument. It's a bad player defending a class that is indefensible. If you want to argue like an idiot prepare to get treated like one

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Also "I have very thoughtful and reasoned stances on the gameplay mechanics because I take the game very seriously" is in direct odds to "I just want to watch things explode and I let my daughter shoot the guns for us, its a fun bonding time". You can't have it both ways.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah so far the only two arguments have been "carriers are broken and that's bad" and "carriers are broken but you shouldn't worry so much about it."

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

Yeah so far the only two arguments have been "carriers are broken and that's bad" and "carriers are broken but you shouldn't worry so much about it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My dude, have you considered engaging with people on the content of their points, instead of implying they are mean and wrong because your stats < their stats ergo your opinion is correct?

but if you want an actual response you could post something arguing why CVs aren't broken instead of the same worthless tone argument as every single CV apologist post over the past five paages