Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lady Demelza posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't have any form of password to get into my smartphone? It's a recent one so I must have disabled it, though I don't remember doing so.

Jokes on you if you try to steal my money, my bank account is emptier than Priti Patel's head and I haven't got an overdraft.

I had my wallet nicked after I was shoulder-surfed for my PIN (NB I was also pretty drunk) and HSBC helpfully and automatically extended me a £3k overdraft when my card went on a 4k spending spree in Paddy Power in Lewisham. No confirmation made at all from me.

code:
   |\__/,|   (`\
   |o o  |__ _)
 _.( T   )  `  /
((_ `^--' /_<  \
`` `-'(((/  (

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thanks for the kind words and info from everyone, here and elsewhere. Now feeling a bit less like the entire universe is collapsing around us, which is good I think?

Also protip for avo toast- butter and bovril beneath the avocado makes it god tier.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea this isn't any proof there's something wrong with the vaccine - it might be unrelated, might only be a risk to those with certain other conditions, might be a 1/100,000 event that doesn't make the vaccine useless - and has no bearing on it's effectiveness. You just can't continue to inject people with it till you know the answers to those questions, which is why vaccine trials take time.

Name/Post combo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea this isn't any proof there's something wrong with the vaccine - it might be unrelated, might only be a risk to those with certain other conditions, might be a 1/100,000 event that doesn't make the vaccine useless - and has no bearing on it's effectiveness. You just can't continue to inject people with it till you know the answers to those questions, which is why vaccine trials take time.

According to the news this morning this isn't even the first time the trial has been paused, and the expert (who might admittedly have been a pharma sales rep, it was fair and balanced Radio 4 after all) said this was just a thing that happens, and noted that it's almost always something completely unrelated or at least very unlikely to be related, and that the delays for this sort of thing are factored into the timetable for testing.

Which, if true, makes you wonder why this got so much publicity and would (in a world where actions had consequences) might lead people to investigate any large movements in AstraZeneca's shares over the last few days (or those of their competitors, for that matter)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

knox_harrington posted:

I had my wallet nicked after I was shoulder-surfed for my PIN (NB I was also pretty drunk) and HSBC helpfully and automatically extended me a £3k overdraft when my card went on a 4k spending spree in Paddy Power in Lewisham. No confirmation made at all from me.

code:
   |\__/,|   (`\
   |o o  |__ _)
 _.( T   )  `  /
((_ `^--' /_<  \
`` `-'(((/  (

When I was young and foolish and power-dressed, one evening in Camden absolutely pissed out of my head (there was a pub used to do jugs of cocktails for about £5 a gallon), I went to the cashpoint and a young black guy pushed in front of me. "You fascist pig" I yelled at him, he turned round and glared at me and said "What did you just say?" - "I said you're a fascist pig". "Oh that's ok!" he said and walked off smiling. I imagine he thought I'd made a racist rather than classist (? politicist?) comment and I bet that was the first time a woman in a padded shoulders business suit called a black guy in jeans a fascist.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

According to the news this morning this isn't even the first time the trial has been paused, and the expert (who might admittedly have been a pharma sales rep, it was fair and balanced Radio 4 after all) said this was just a thing that happens, and noted that it's almost always something completely unrelated or at least very unlikely to be related, and that the delays for this sort of thing are factored into the timetable for testing.

Which, if true, makes you wonder why this got so much publicity and would (in a world where actions had consequences) might lead people to investigate any large movements in AstraZeneca's shares over the last few days (or those of their competitors, for that matter)

The New York Times broke the story last night from a source they had who knew of the event, which happened in the UK. American journalists reaching out to transnational sources? Or someone reaching out to them with the news?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
UKMT Autumn 2020 - Where we are going we don't need rules

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

XMNN posted:

I agree with prioritising schools, I just meant that there are already schools with hundreds of students self isolating for a couple of weeks because of a positive test for someone at the school only a week or so into them reopening, so presumably there's going to be a significant number of students missing multiple large chunks of school this year.

Still better than every pupil missing the whole year mind you.
And if other activities have to be curtailed to reduce the spread enough that keeping schools open for kids is possible then so be it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/ComradeCeeCee/status/1303448681006465036?s=19

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can someone give me the name of the funds that the brexiteers are invested in, banking on the total collapse of the British economy post-brexit?
If I stop buying niche coffees and avocado toast* for a couple of months and used the £000s I would save, I could make a killing instead.

:guillotine:

(joking!)

*(Disclaimer: I almost never buy a niche coffee out, I usually have a glass of water when my associates are swigging back coffee at £3.95 a cup in costa or nero or wherever. And I have no idea what avocado toast even is - and not interested enough to google.)

I dont think you need Google to figure out what avocado toast is

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

If people thought some testing would be done, you can't argue that they're wrong because some testing has been done. However often you try.

"testing will be done but they'll fudge/ignore the results" is not in fact the same as "testing will be done because that's how vaccines are developed" just FYI

talking about how you wouldn't take a covid vaccine because government/big pharma bad was antivaxx bullshit then and it's antivaxx bullshit now

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It depends how the study is set up but for a study to be paused like this it usually needs the treating physician to think the event is related to the study treatment. The term is a SUSAR - Suspected Unexpected Serious Adverse Reaction. It has to be "suspected" to be related to the study therapy.

Alternatively the data safety monitoring board internally within the study sponsor may have made the decision if they're being cautious.

Given the people receiving the vaccine aren't ill there is going to be a pretty low acceptability for such a serious event if it is possibly related to the vaccine.

I guess goes to show how reckless the approval of the vaccine candidate in Russia is after trialling it in 76 patients.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fridge corn posted:

It might have been some namby pamby woke vegan anti-wheat thing with slices of avocado instead of bread though.

:chanpop:

Why isn't there a woke snowflake smilie?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Lady VG just got her pip assessment back from the DWP (she was on highest due to her needing zomorph (morphine) twice a day to function) and not only are they ending it, but apparently she needs to pay them back because she was given too much.

The only words that express how mad I am about it would get me banned.

Sorry to hear this VG. Are you still able to appeal at this point or has that been exhausted? It'd be well worth emailing your MP (even if they're a Tory) about this as well, to request a review of the case. There's a dedicated parliamentary hotline for pip so MP's staff can speak to DWP staff about cases quickly, although any actual review will take a few weeks. Anecdotally having MP interest in a case seems to help expedite things, even if the outcome isn't always the preferred one. If you've got specific objections to the DWP decision as written, it'd be a good idea to highlight them & give the reason why.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

"testing will be done but they'll fudge/ignore the results" is not in fact the same as "testing will be done because that's how vaccines are developed" just FYI

Another straw man, and, for the third and last time, one thing being done right does not show all things are being done right. I apologize to the rest of the thread for not ignoring you as I should have.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fridge corn posted:

You say that like foods are always named for what they are

For all Jaeluni Asjil knows, this could be a Toad in the Hole situation

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

Another straw man, and, for the third and last time, one thing being done right does not show all things are being done right. I apologize to the rest of the thread for not ignoring you as I should have.

Julio Cruz posted:

it's antivaxx bullshit now

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

HANDS
FACE
SPACE

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Avocado and Toast are both known food items. Toad and Hole are not known food items. It's quite obvious that Toad in the Hole is not literally a toad in a hole

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hon hon hon hon.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Or spotted dick :laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Avocado toast could be a drink for lawyers or a Latin American dish involving testes.

knox_harrington posted:

I guess goes to show how reckless the approval of the vaccine candidate in Russia is after trialling it in 76 patients.
It's aptly named after the satellite that cooked a dog to death.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SpicePro posted:

Mincemeat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It took me until I was about twenty eight before I realised mince pies did not have minced beef in them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Avocado toast could be a drink for lawyers or a Latin American dish involving testes.

It's aptly named after the satellite that cooked a dog to death.

I'll look past the gulags, we should have nuked the Soviets for what they did to Laika. At least the septics *tried*, and mostly succeeded, to get the monkeys back.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It took me until I was about twenty eight before I realised mince pies did not have minced beef in them.

It's the fact that they specify "meat" for the thing with no meat, and omit it for the things that do. English is a very stupid language.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

From what I understand, mincemeat used to be actually meat centuries ago.

I just googled* bird's nest soup - wow! It is made from real birds' nests.

*because I have stalled on a bit of analysis where my logic systems are failing to boot up and hoping investigations into food googling will help. Which was not the case when i started this avocado toast milarkey.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mash avocado with a pinch of salt and lime juice, spread on sourdough toast, sprinkle with chilli flakes and olive oil, top with a poached egg. It loving rules. Might even have it for lunch tomorrow.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Mash avocado with a pinch of salt and lime juice, spread on sourdough toast, sprinkle with chilli flakes and olive oil, top with a poached egg. It loving rules. Might even have it for lunch tomorrow.

There are few things better than reading about something delicious then realising you have all the ingredients

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Avocado Toast is very similar to Beans Toast, or so I've heard.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Avocados are very tasty but they are unfortunately not the food of the painfully woke zillenial that boomer Facebook would have you believe. As you might guess of a lucrative South American cash crop, its farming tends to involve deforestation, replacing traditional varied farming with monocultures, funding narcoterrorism, horribly exploiting farmers and all that sort of good stuff. But it's not all bad news - some avocados are grown in Spain! Farm workers there have better working conditions, there are somewhat fewer druglords running the show, and the ecological effects tend towards regional droughts rather than rainforest destruction, so that's an option.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 9, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tarnop posted:

I'm 5 months into the second year of my appeal, and have been told that there's no minimum time between a successful appeal and a reassessment
Every time I've won an appeal, the tribunal specifies a length of time that you have to be left alone for. Never been reassessed any sooner than two years or so after an appeal.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

From what I understand, mincemeat used to be actually meat centuries ago.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUQHPO1g5Rs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pilchenstein posted:

Every time I've won an appeal, the tribunal specifies a length of time that you have to be left alone for. Never been reassessed any sooner than two years or so after an appeal.

That's actually fantastic news, I got bad info it seems. Thank you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Going into a bakery like Greggs in Scotland and asking for a mince pie near Christmas usually results in getting asked if you want a meat or a sweet one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SpicePro posted:

Years ago when I worked at BT, they changed the name of Spotted Dick to Spotted Richard. This change lasted all of two-three months before it was changed back because apparently people couldn't order Spotted Richard without cracking up and holding up the dessert line.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Avocados are very tasty but they are unfortunately not the food of the painfully woke zillenial that boomer Facebook would have you believe. As you might guess of a lucrative South American cash crop, its farming tends to involve deforestation, replacing traditional varied farming with monocultures, funding narcoterrorism, horribly exploiting farmers and all that sort of good stuff. But it's not all bad news - some avocados are grown in Spain! Farm workers there have better working conditions, there are somewhat fewer druglords running the show, and the ecological effects tend towards regional droughts rather than rainforest destruction, so that's an option.

interesting, thanks. spanish black grapes are a great alternative to south african ones too.

what do you make of the reusable silicon alternative to clingfilm that they are advertising on my IG feed at the moment? or the recyclable plastic washing up sponge?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Stocking up on video games for Lockdown 2

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got 4 hours sleep last night, so I was looking forward to having a little nap on the train home.
Except two Irish kids got on and played a 'game' that involved each of them seeing how loudly they dared shout a random word in the carriage.
Then they got off and a man got on and sat opposite me with his mask nowhere near his mouth or nose and proceeded to have a shouted argument with someone on his phone - something about "the bottle" - for the remainder of the train journey home.

Oh, and despite the news about curbs to daily lives yesterday, there were fewer people wearing masks than I've seen the last couple of days.
gently caress this stupid loving country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Going into a bakery like Greggs in Scotland and asking for a mince pie near Christmas usually results in getting asked if you want a meat or a sweet one.

Just don't ask for sweetmeats.