Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That also happens in the scene where you are asked to choose which of two people to kill- you don't have to kill either of them, you can just shoot at the asker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Necrothatcher posted:

I just remembered that the final boss in Sekiro pulls a glock out of nowhere. What a game... :allears:

lmao that reminds me of this anime from the last decade where the whole thing was about collecting and destroy this set of legendary swords, and as they went farther the definition of "sword" got a little more stretched until the final and ultimate sword was actually a pair of pistols

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Ni no Kuni 2 one of the main characters is the President of the United States and his weapon is a gun. When you buy new ones they're in a fantasy style but the starting one is just a plain looking modern semi-automatic pistol.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

muscles like this! posted:

In Ni no Kuni 2 one of the main characters is the President of the United States and his weapon is a gun. When you buy new ones they're in a fantasy style but the starting one is just a plain looking modern semi-automatic pistol.

Upon being transported to a new world filled with animal people and having no idea what’s what he immediately draws his gun and caps some guards going Crusader Kings and trying to kill a prince who is too innocent to realize what’s happening.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

In Ni no Kuni 2 one of the main characters is the President of the United States and his weapon is a gun.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like it would be pretty easy to stop barret from running into lasers in final fantasy remake but they didn't bother. I assume because they thought it was funny.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2 I said play Watch Dogs 2 :stonklol:. The first game is utter garbage.

WD2 is fun because for a long time, its possible to really play missions being sneaky, using stealth and distractions to disable guards and defenses. It makes sense, you aren't a killer.

Then about 3/4 through the game, the difficulty really ramps up. Its still possible to ghost through a location, only stunning them.

Or, you hack one person to initiate a gang hit on them, and then initiate a police raid on the guy next to him. Then wait a few minutes and walk into a place to capture the thing you need as everyone with 2 blocks is busy in a non-stop gun battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I feel like it would be pretty easy to stop barret from running into lasers in final fantasy remake but they didn't bother. I assume because they thought it was funny.

Jesse has unique dialogue if you screw it up too much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Following on my enjoyment in Luigi's Mansion of videogame characters humming along to the background music, late in MGSV you find a bunch of soldiers singing along with a stereo playing the Peace Walker theme :unsmith: as they willingly wait for you to execute them to stop an incurable parasite infection, but that's clearly beside the point :smithicide:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm not sure how many of these gun posts are real.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tagichatn posted:

I'm not sure how many of these gun posts are real.

Oh that one's real all right.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There are a lot of little things in Control, but the way objects around you start to slowly move when you're using Launch to hold something else is so cool.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m playing Warhammer 40000: Mechanicus. The Necron screen wipe when you transition from exploring to combat never stops being cool. Neither does the mechanical buzzing combined with intelligible speech your tech priest have instead of voices. You can especially feel the head Magos/player stand-in’s. And then it’s cool when you encounter a Necron boss character, and it speaks to you in voice-acted English instead of code language.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There are a lot of little things in Control, but the way objects around you start to slowly move when you're using Launch to hold something else is so cool.

I finally realized on this playthrough how to gracefully set things down if I'm done with them rather than launching them into the floor, and I'm in love with the fact that they just float around rotating in the air beside you if you happen to be hovering at the time. Especially fun with the work lamps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One fun thing I figured out with the TK is that radios keep playing if you pick them up and carry em around with Launch. Since you can set stuff down gently you can now have music on the go!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Time for a music challenge run, evidently.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The cool thing is I think they intended for you to become aware of it, because there's one such radio you can only reach by grabbing it through a security booth window with Launch. Obviously if you chuck it then it'll break, but what if you were to hit F and set it down gently...??? :aaa:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

lmao that reminds me of this anime from the last decade where the whole thing was about collecting and destroy this set of legendary swords, and as they went farther the definition of "sword" got a little more stretched until the final and ultimate sword was actually a pair of pistols

The Dark Tower style?

One Piece also has a thing with swords so drat good they have names, and most of them tend to look like quite ordinary if well crafted katanas. (notable when the crew's resident swordsman uses three of them) Except for the one used by the world's greatest swordsman, Dracule Mihawk, which is a stereotypically anime gigantic cross-shaped dealio bigger than he is. Although when the afore mentioned characters first clash, Mihawk insists on using what looks like a particularly small cheese knife. (You guess who wins)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Dark Tower style?

One Piece also has a thing with swords so drat good they have names, and most of them tend to look like quite ordinary if well crafted katanas. (notable when the crew's resident swordsman uses three of them) Except for the one used by the world's greatest swordsman, Dracule Mihawk, which is a stereotypically anime gigantic cross-shaped dealio bigger than he is. Although when the afore mentioned characters first clash, Mihawk insists on using what looks like a particularly small cheese knife. (You guess who wins)

They weren't magic pistols or anything IIRC but one was a revolver and one was a semiautomatic pistol. They were mostly just special because it was set in the Edo period.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Time for a music challenge run, evidently.

That would probably end up derailed by having to go to the Motel and the times you have to travel to the Astral Plane.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finally realized on this playthrough how to gracefully set things down if I'm done with them rather than launching them into the floor, and I'm in love with the fact that they just float around rotating in the air beside you if you happen to be hovering at the time. Especially fun with the work lamps.

oh my god

You can... set things down gently???

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Relatively gently, considering it's still a forklift. Press square IIRC.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

oh my god

I like to imagine Jesse saying this in game

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

oh my god

Yeah, if you're a coward

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So crossposting because I put this in the wrong thread

So I played through No Straight Roads recently and what sticks out to me is that no matter what it always respects the music people make in game, only really throwing shade at the kind of person they are. Also at the end The big finale revelation is that, among other things, you don't owe your fans poo poo just because they were dedicated, and its really great just how unambiguous it is about this.

Also it has DK west in it.

Additionally, all tracks have 3 versions, the base version that changes as you progress and can flux between edm and rock, a all rock version and a all edm version. But the neat bit is that the all edm versions are usually a different version rather than just the normal one, so for example the vtuber with the idol type song has a vaporwave remix.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

In Control some walls can be smashed through to access secret areas. These walls are marked by having a picture of a wall with hole blasted through it hanging where you need to blast. Nothing in the game tells you this, you just have to figure it out. It's the same deal with a collection of TVs showing pictures of flames, which you need to burn to unlock a cool upgrade.

I like secrets in games that follow an internal logic, rather than the ones that are just there to make you buy strategy guides.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

One fun thing I figured out with the TK is that radios keep playing if you pick them up and carry em around with Launch. Since you can set stuff down gently you can now have music on the go!
It's neat just to hear how the music get spatialized. You can also pick up working projectors and they'll accurately display images on a variety of differently shaped surfaces, even adding shadows if you put like a beam in the way :stwoon:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Inferior posted:

In Control some walls can be smashed through to access secret areas. These walls are marked by having a picture of a wall with hole blasted through it hanging where you need to blast. Nothing in the game tells you this, you just have to figure it out. It's the same deal with a collection of TVs showing pictures of flames, which you need to burn to unlock a cool upgrade.

I like secrets in games that follow an internal logic, rather than the ones that are just there to make you buy strategy guides.

In the Foundation DLC there's also a breakable wall marked with the Raquel Welch poster from Shawshank Redemption. That movie had been mentioned a couple times directly and indirectly before that, so it's another neat bit tying everything together.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/P1sVB8R.mp4
I can now move from the complaint to the praise thread as I have reobtained the sombrero :toot:
Not even the legendary Solid Snake himself is such a master of stealth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, Ubisoft:allears:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Oh, Ubisoft:allears:

That loading screen in general is a pretty neat thing, and a neat twist on loading screens that I don't think I've seen anywhere else.
Spoilered because you're basically at the start of the game:

That's a cult's altar, and as you assassinate your way through the cult, their bloody masks get added to the ground around it, matching up with where they were in the hiearchy.
Towards the end of the game the whole thing is just a giant bloodbath with ~40+ masks surrounding it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadow of the Tomb Raider did a similar thing with its load screen where an eclipse gradually appeared over time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I dunno' of this is the right thread for this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else.

I've been screwing around with a local, barely working server for Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. For those of you who haven't heard the story: the version of FFXIV that was released in 2010 was loving terrible. Apparently original project leads didn't know anything about modern MMOs at the time and didn't think things had moved on since FFXI and basically just tried to make that again. There is a bunch of other stuff to the story, a focus on graphics over gameplay (some flowerpots infamously had as many polygons and used as many lines of shader code as a player character) and using an engine made for single player games.
Square removed the director and producer from the game and replaced them with a guy who actually played MMOs. He basically told them the game wasn't salvageable and they needed to start again, amazingly Square agreed. They made an entirely new game (set in the same universe and using assets from the old game) in about two years.

Anyway, I've installed a clunky private server on my PC and took some comparison shots. The difference is loving staggering.

Some comparisons from the starting cities, they more or less took the maps and reworked them:

Gridania

Ul'Dah

Limsa Lominsa

You might think from those shots the whole game is just reworked like that, but not so for the openworld outside of the cities. The world in 1.0 was just a bunch of copied and pasted chunks of land. You would see the same bland empty areas all over the place and there was nothing really out there. Every town or settlement is just some tiny empty camp. For the new game they had to make entirely new maps roughly in the shape of the old ones, though much smaller. Two comparisons of what are supposed to be the same places:

Black Brush Station

Camp Dragonhead

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that ffxiv 1.0 stuff is wild, that whole game is wild, how functional is "barely functional"? I clicked your stream yesterday (I think that was you) but then I had to afk so I missed most of it but it looked like you were getting about one frame per week and even accounting for the lack of players everything in 1.0 looks dead and bland despite being graphically competent

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was streaming earlier today, so it probably wasn't me. Though, time zones, so it could have been. I was actually getting like 30fps, but I'm incompetent and didn't test out streaming before hand so it ran like poo poo.

As for how functional, some NPCs sometimes appear in cities (and sometimes they don't, dunno what changes this). I think there is one functional quest, which unlocks the inn room so you can watch cutscenes (which appear to work, might record some at some point). And there are literally two monsters in the whole game (according to the boot info on the world server), they both die in one hit so you can't really try out the combat. Hard zone transitions (like the ones in FFXIV now) don't seem to work, but the seamless ones do.

No idea if you can get more people one the server, I've only got it running locally. No idea how to even do it.

Here's the VOD of my awful stream.

https://twitch.tv/videos/739881334

Again, the awful framerate was me not understanding OBS. I'll take a look at it and try again some time.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Sep 13, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Wasteland 3 has a really good soundtrack with a ton of cover songs. Mild spoilers follow.

Early on, you have the option to murder a bunch of teenagers in a garden, and if you do, you get to listen to a country-rock (sorta) version of "Down In the Valley to Pray" (which is basically "Down to the River to Pray," which I recognized from O Brother Where Art Thou, but with a Valley instead of a River; there's also a more traditional version of "Down to the River" in another area, as background music). If you don't do the spoilered thing, you get no cool music.

Random radio songs include Marilyn Manson-sounding covers of the "Green Acres" theme and "Monster Mash" (a loading screen tip mentions that the faction who uses Monster Mash as their theme, the Monster Army, owe basically everything they are to one Robert George Pickett, aka Bobby "Boris" Pickett, who did the original Monster Mash - the game never tells you who he is, just lets you make the connection yourself). I murdered a bunch of Reagan-worshiping fascists to a gospel-y version of "America the Beautiful" and it was, well, beautiful. The first major fight (at the end of the intro/tutorial bit) uses a hymn, "Washed in the Blood of the Lamb." I haven't even mentioned the "Land of Confusion" or "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" covers because I haven't found them in-game yet, but I know they exist.

I learned from the WL3 thread here that the person responsible for all this great music is Mary Ramos, who does a lot of soundtrack work for Quentin Tarantino movies, and I think getting her involved was an inspired choice. I'm always looking forward to the next big setpiece fight, because I know it's gonna have a pretty great (cover) song to go along with it.

IIRC, Wasteland 2 only has one good soundtrack moment: when Matthias, the main antagonist, dedicates a song over the radio "to some very special people," and then plays "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" by Culture Club. It came out of nowhere and was hilarious, and I'm glad that they decided to dig into that well a bit more for 3.

Also, another good little thing: the Reagan-worshiping fascist cult call themselves the Gippers (a Canadian buddy who's also playing the game didn't make the connection between the name and "they worship an old president as a god," until he met them). The game lets you murder every motherfucking last one of them almost as soon as you see them. gently caress Ronald Reagan, even video-game robot Ronald Reagan.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Someone posted a map of the original Central Shroud in FFXIV and it was just a bunch of intersecting corridors.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone posted a map of the original Central Shroud in FFXIV and it was just a bunch of intersecting corridors.

http://chrysaliswiki.com/article:final-fantasy-xiv-map-comparison
There is this which compares a bunch of maps

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There's a bunch of circumstantial evidence (like the way that lots of things had the wrong name in Japanese, anything with a katakana name in the main series like "Chocobo" had a kanji name that's the term used in Chinese translations) that Square offshored most of it to China as a test. If so, the test failed, hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Noclip did a three-part series on FF14's fall and rise that stands out from similar series due to having access to developers and executives. Its likely that had the game not been a mainline FF title, Square would have let it burn. But they considered the entire franchise's reputation to be on the line and so forked over a probably eye-watering amount of money to let Yoshi P fix it.

Also, you may not know this, but the free trial for FF14 now goes through the critically acclaimed Heavensward expansion, if you're a new player this is the perfect time to tr