Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

doesnt ff2 have the elder scrolls skill up system? That was pretty fun

It's the prototype for the SaGa system basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

P-Mack posted:

It's the prototype for the SaGa system basically.

isn't SaGa/FF Legends getting a re release soon?

i used to play the poo poo out of ff legends on my old brick of a game boy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

esperterra posted:

isn't SaGa/FF Legends getting a re release soon?

i used to play the poo poo out of ff legends on my old brick of a game boy

Yeah a collection of FF Legend I,II, and III. Shame it's just a straight GB port and doesn't throw in the DS remakes but I'll probably replay FFLII anyway.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

My favorite thing about Final Fantasy 2 is the programmer who decided that Ultima should suck because it was a really old spell and magic had advanced way further since then and then ciphered the source code so nobody could change it

lmfao that kicks rear end

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doesnt ff2 have the elder scrolls skill up system? That was pretty fun

It does, unfortunately it turns out transplanting that wholesale into a standard JRPG is an insanely bad idea and means that if you're good at the game you will be oneshot by every boss you meet because standard enemies never get a bit on you. Which is kind of hilarious in retrospect. Ff2 is weird

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It does, unfortunately it turns out transplanting that wholesale into a standard JRPG is an insanely bad idea and means that if you're good at the game you will be oneshot by every boss you meet because standard enemies never get a bit on you. Which is kind of hilarious in retrospect. Ff2 is weird

i also cannot beat games because im just too good at them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

how does this sentence actually make sense for final fantasy? lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

For some reason I persevered enough to beat the insane GBA bonus campaign where you play as dead people conquering heaven. Would not recommend

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

For some reason I persevered enough to beat the insane GBA bonus campaign where you play as dead people conquering heaven. Would not recommend

yeah I'm not ashamed of my genuine enjoyment for that game but that part sucks rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one day, the gamer simply looked at the controller, then at the menu, then closed his eyes. he'd finally done it; he had become master of Final Fantasy 12, and there was no need to play it anymore. balthier was left without his ending

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

one day, the gamer simply looked at the controller, then at the menu, then closed his eyes. he'd finally done it; he had become master of Final Fantasy 12, and there was no need to play it anymore. balthier was left without his ending

"Finally," said Final Fantasy 12, "I can play myself in peace".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Got Lionheart for the first time and goddamn lol it just hitting endlessly for 9999 each time ones hotted the boss. Doing all Ultimecia's minions. Cool idea but man I'm glad I'm following a guide or it'd be frustrating as hell finding half of them.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lost to Omega Weapon twice. First time only one character was 9999 hp so went for round two so everyone had max health. Also all characters could use items and bahamuts card gave me 100 megalixirs so I used it after any damage to avoid his 1HP attack. then after about ten minutes he did a double move and wiped me immediately after using an ultimate even though a character was waiting and I isnntatly selected the item. Not really bothered trying again and synthesising invulnerability consumables or always summoning a gf to block it tbh. Just gonna easily murder Ultimecia instead

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat Omega in the end after a few more wipes. Spent some time maxing out everyones strength and pushing speed up a lot as well as the 9999 hp and a few other adjustments. Also gave Zell and Rinoa defend which stops all damage for one of the moves which wiped me a few times. Once I knew he had a pattern and had to focus I got him after a few missteps. In the end beat him with a perfect Renzo but no follow up lol. He only got through like two move cycles but still super hard fight and a lot of fun. Gonna absolutely paste Ulti and her mate now lmfao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lol at the 'all party members are invincible' item being called 'Holy War'

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol at the 'all party members are invincible' item being called 'Holy War'

Ya lol. I got Angelo immortality and had the defence move ready but only had to deal with one terra break which was the real issue. Also after like doubling my speed I didn’t have to worry about a double attack either.

Anyway this is why I love the guidebooks lol

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Beat Omega in the end after a few more wipes. Spent some time maxing out everyones strength and pushing speed up a lot as well as the 9999 hp and a few other adjustments. Also gave Zell and Rinoa defend which stops all damage for one of the moves which wiped me a few times. Once I knew he had a pattern and had to focus I got him after a few missteps. In the end beat him with a perfect Renzo but no follow up lol. He only got through like two move cycles but still super hard fight and a lot of fun. Gonna absolutely paste Ulti and her mate now lmfao

he's also susceptible to Selphie's insta-kill Limit Break but that one's harder to pull off

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Ya lol. I got Angelo immortality and had the defence move ready but only had to deal with one terra break which was the real issue. Also after like doubling my speed I didn’t have to worry about a double attack either.

Oh lol, you meant you were following a guide

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

:hai:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I don’t have the patience for farming the enoyle cards early in the game but you can get lionheart by the time you reach Timber if you do.

The soundtrack is so good. The Castle slaps. It’s by far my fav FF

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Theres a cool trick for Zell where you can enter the same 2 limit break moves over and over really quickly and kill almost anything

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Solus is such a smug gently caress and instantly one of my favorite characters.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Dear god this expansion is on another level.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Shadowbringers is pretty drat good.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man ff7 remake is good. i think it's my best surprise of the last ten years, i thought it was going to be a knd of lovely cash-in especially when they said it's episodic and instead it's one of the best games i've played this year. considering getting plat although i dont want to do the motorcycle game ever again.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

For what it's worth, difficulty doesn't matter for the chapter 4 motorcycle trophy so you can just set it to Easy for that, and when using chapter select you can straight up skip the motorcycle segments completely. Hard mode is also really fun and worth doing in a replay.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I gotta get back to getting the motorcycle trophy in my remake plat quest, but Hyrule Warriors, Tony Hawk, Arkham are still on my backlog and now there's a Mario collection and more Hyrule Warriors coming. I'm swamped

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I gotta get back to getting the motorcycle trophy in my remake plat quest, but Hyrule Warriors, Tony Hawk, Arkham are still on my backlog and now there's a Mario collection and more Hyrule Warriors coming. I'm swamped

i know this gamer feel well and it's wonderful. drowning in games ftw.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

saving most of my thoughts on 8 for the games beat thread but man i've always like ultimecia's castle. its cool that it's as complex as it is, and the sealed power gimmick is a really good one. in a better balanced game than 8 you could really do some cool poo poo with it, i think

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd like them to do something like 8 in a modern game in a lot of ways, like the militarized high school with ranks, a more balanced junctioning system, etc.

A lot of the FF games could do with the FF7R treatment.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The first disc or two of ff8 are incredible. Being a mercenary school sent on missions is a cool concept for a ff game I just wish there was more of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first disc or two of ff8 are incredible. Being a mercenary school sent on missions is a cool concept for a ff game I just wish there was more of it

I think that’s kind of what FF Type 0 is

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think that’s kind of what FF Type 0 is

yeah, its basically the monkeys paw version of that

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Hell I didn't say it was good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This. I don't think I ever finished 8, I mostly just farted around Balamb Garden and watched my sister play properly

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

picturing a twilight zone genie hearing "i want more final fantasy 8" without qualifiers and having the best day of his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It gets better after Balamb imo once you get to disc 2