Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You could probably achieve similar results at greater efficiency by having the radiator submerged in water being resupplied at some slow rate to keep the temp low enough.

Interesting. As a huge idiot who already is very happy with a Noctua NH-D15, I have no actual desire to do this. Just curious about what could be possible with active cooling that isn't LN2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nah, while a few cards with stock huge HSF's at the top end exist its nothing like what is coming for these 3xxx cards. 3+ slot coolers are not at all normal now and people in thread have been lol'ing a bit because of that.

As someone who has literally no other cards on the motherboard, gently caress it, I don't care. Give me a 6-slot cooler with fans end to end which blows through and out the back of the unused expansion slots.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

AirRaid posted:

As someone who has literally no other cards on the motherboard, gently caress it, I don't care. Give me a 6-slot cooler with fans end to end which blows through and out the back of the unused expansion slots.

:hmmyes:

3 x 120mm fan set up that mounts to the base of the case, pulling cool air up from the bottom and expels it out the expansion slots

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

give me an extra thicc version of the passive coolers they use on datacenter cards, with a flexible duct attached that joins it to a 140mm front intake fan

ufarn
May 30, 2009
RDNA2 coming (from the AMD thread):

https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/1303725578160349185

E:

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/1303726678808711177

E2: Tweet said RDNA2 in Oct 28.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2020

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AirRaid posted:

Sure I agree with this actually.

Most people don't use the slots at all so why not go hog wild with a great air HSF so you don't need to bother with AIO's or custom loops unless you really want to?

That wasn't the point of my reply there though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Not really. The 2x 120/140mm fan AIO's are usually OK for dissipating something like 200-250w at typical fan speeds. Stock these GPU's are already pushing 300w hence the huge rear end HSF's.

No, even a lovely single 120mm can easily dissipate 500W+ while holding temps at 60C or lower, as demonstrated by the 295x2.

The bottleneck is the coldplate interface and specifically the IHS that CPUs use. The 120mm is more than capable of dissipating whatever heat you put into it, the IHS just limits how much heat you can move into the loop.

(and yes, this means the circlejerk about "hurr you need a 360mm cooler for [x CPU]" is completely misguided, radiator dissipation is not even the limitation, so the giant radiator probably makes like a couple degrees of difference in the working fluid temp at most.)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/radeon/status/1303726639013036033

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s fine. Your case doesn’t have a window.

... does it? :colbert:

I spent good money for that hardware I'm going to look at it whenever I can

:colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/XVVZcya.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that's a whiles away

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is that HBM on that rdna2 picture again? or are they finally doing chiplets?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, even a lovely single 120mm can easily dissipate 500W+ while holding temps at 60C or lower, as demonstrated by the 295x2.
That thing often ran hotter than that (70C+ was typical) and was widely regarded as laughable at the time. edit: looking at anandtech's review of the thing it was forced to underclock itself in stuff like furmark over 10%.

Paul MaudDib posted:

IHS just limits how much heat you can move into the loop.
Dude a IHS doesn't limit you that much. People used to run direct die water coolers all the time and ran into heat problems with much less heat loads all the time with CPU's.

Paul MaudDib posted:

(and yes, this means the circlejerk about "hurr you need a 360mm cooler for [x CPU]" is completely misguided, radiator dissipation is not even the limitation, so the giant radiator probably makes like a couple degrees of difference in the working fluid temp at most.)
If you're willing to run the fans at much higher rpms you can get away with smaller radiators but most people aren't interested at all in that.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 9, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's funny to me that in 10 more years this 2x480 equipped case will experience fan noise at this rate lmao

the_enduser posted:

Just move to Antarctica bro
better hurry tho

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

I spent good money for that hardware I'm going to look at it whenever I can

:colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/XVVZcya.mp4

I'm sorry dude but that is irredeemably lame.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It really is absolute garbage and I love it

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I respect that you matched your lighting from your PC and peripherals with your background

I think it looks alright

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

mlyp

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

So was that the AMD news teased yesterday? Announcing an announcement 6 weeks away?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

kaschei posted:

So was that the AMD news teased yesterday? Announcing an announcement 6 weeks away?

Please don't be so hard on Nvidia's 3070 launch :v:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
By late October there might be 9 or even 10 people with 3000 series cards in hand.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

By late October there might be 9 or even 10 people with 3000 series cards in hand.

you can't mind ETH with a gpu in your hand, silly. they're gonna be plugged into some pcie riser cables

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

kaschei posted:

Yeah but Nvidia did the exact same thing, so... i guess that's how things are done now.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Sure I agree with this actually.

Most people don't use the slots at all so why not go hog wild with a great air HSF so you don't need to bother with AIO's or custom loops unless you really want to?

That wasn't the point of my reply there though.

Yeah I wasn't rebuffing anything you said really, it just made me think, if they're going that way, just go whole hog on it.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
AMD knows how to disappoint. :shepface:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The image on the right is upscaled from 1440p :holymoley:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

8K gaming is such a dumb gimmick. They should focus on “better than native” 4K upsampling or something

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidia are going after the lucrative market of people who already wasted money on a flagship LG 8K OLED and want something 8K to display on it

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I ain't moving up until there's <= $500 4K 144hz monitor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

At that point they might as well target VR gamers, that’s probably a bigger market than 8K gamers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they are doing that, the DLSS 2.1 update added VR support

game integrations are still pending though so who knows how well it works

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Let NVIDIA make motherboards again and just deliver a mATX mobo with a RTX 3080 soldered down in the general area where expansion slots used to be.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Let NVIDIA make motherboards again and just deliver a mATX mobo with a RTX 3080 soldered down in the general area where expansion slots used to be.

Actually — hear me out on this idea, it's loving sick.

1. If you're soldering down the GPU anyways...
2. Do a custom form-factor and solder down the CPU also.
3. Might as well solder down / cram in RAM as well.
4. Maybe do a custom SSD form factor.
5. Build lots of these to lower costs
6. Market them to be placed near people's TVs for the express purpose of playing games.

Call them... game stations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

movax posted:

or put a mezzanine connector there, like their datacenter modules use

then the gpu would be facing the right way to strap a d15 to it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

movax posted:

playboxes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

8K gaming is such a dumb gimmick.

8k is in the high enough pixel density range that at normal sitting distances your eyes can't distinguish individual pixels any longer. i'm super hyped for it to be affordable

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

shrike82 posted:

At that point they might as well target VR gamers, that’s probably a bigger market than 8K gamers

Most definitely is. I know it's not perfect but going by the Steam Hardware Survey, only 2.24% are gaming at 4K. 1.7% own a VR headset.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

or put a mezzanine connector there, like their datacenter modules use

then the gpu would be facing the right way to strap a d15 to it

This is actually what I wanted to fake edit in there... new mobo form factor, no PCIe slots what so ever, just like a jumbo MXM module and the cooler support interface uses the case's add-in slots. Only need 16 PCIe lanes, few GPIO and 12 V in. Pick some Samtec SEARAY or similar connector and you're done.

If that fake mobo had WiFi integrated and a decent sound solution + a 2.5Gb/10Gb NIC, what add-in card would a gamer ever want?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Out over a month after the 3080 and a month after the 3070 launch with no concrete info on anything. That's...not very encouraging for AMD. Unless they blow people away with price or made some crazy gains in performance it seems like they're way too late. They needed to put something out by end of the month if they wanted to compete with the 30XX. Hell, the 3060 might be out by the time they launch RDNA2.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Capture card for Minecraft on console.

But for real I wish that form factor was real, can’t believe we are still using dogshit ATX from 1995.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

movax posted:

Sony Enjoyment Prism, coming soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cygni posted:

Capture card for Minecraft on console.

But for real I wish that form factor was real, can’t believe we are still using dogshit ATX from 1995.

My mini ITX Thermaltake Core V1 pc owns. Too bad I'm gonna have to chuck it when I upgrade the GPU.