Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

I had the exact same experience as you. I founded the first holy order, but it hasn't benefited me at all since it's hired out 100% of the time. It may actually be slightly hurting me since otherwise I'd get tax/levies from that holding? Not sure.

It seems like they will sometimes ask you to lease out another holding and pay you a bunch of gold for it, and you can then revoke it for 100 piety. Which might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

buglord posted:

Is it possible/reasonable to keep land under my direct control from one ruler to the next? Seems like over the generations, the amount of land actually under my direct control becomes lower and lower.

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

Give titles to your non-primary heirs and they will take less on inheritance, making it easier to keep your primary holdings intact. Of course, this typically requires aggressive expansion. Another option is revoking titles and handing them to your kids. If one of your vassals is a criminal you can revoke their title without tyranny, and if you have a hook they will give it up without a fight. So searching for secrets and fabricating hooks is a great strat for keeping your holdings intact.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

buglord posted:

Is it possible/reasonable to keep land under my direct control from one ruler to the next? Seems like over the generations, the amount of land actually under my direct control becomes lower and lower.

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

Generally you want to hold onto at least the duchy of your capital and all/most of the counties within it. If they get inherited away from your during succession, you might have claims/can fabricate claims that will allow you to go to war to get the land back or revoke it.

You can ally with vassals to get them to raise their full army but otherwise, all they have to do is give you a portion of their levies. It can be worthwhile to ally the largest vassal in your territory to have their full help in war and to prevent them joining the other side in a civil war.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I had the exact same experience as you. I founded the first holy order, but it hasn't benefited me at all since it's hired out 100% of the time. It may actually be slightly hurting me since otherwise I'd get tax/levies from that holding? Not sure.

As far as I can tell they are totally useless. Always hired out, take up a holding that they do not upgrade, now and then they come to you and say "Hey we want this holding too! We'll give you 750 gold for it!" even if you accept nothing seems to happen...as in you don't get the gold and they don't expand to the 2nd holding...

Supposedly you should have been able to force your undesirable sons into the order, but I do not see that option anywhere.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oof, hosed up a marriage somewhere so things went sideways in a hurry. Think it was meant to be a Matri but I didn't hit the button. What had been a stable Iberia that had all but Ibizi went into a big spiral of claims and counter-claims and hurried assassinations and legal changes that pissed EVERYONE off.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

buglord posted:

Vassals are only obligated to provide you with a portion of their levies, which automatically gets included in with your own levies unlike CK2. You can also be allied to your vassals but I think there's a catch I'm not remembering right now.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Martout posted:

New start, 867 as Audr the Deep Minded, kicked my neighbours rear end and formed Iceland, turned it all kinds of catholic. Nobody has any beef with me for now but I'm super weak and income is extremely slow. My sons are large and also extremely slow while my husband is an idiot savant at stewardship, which I guess is kinda helpful.

For tribal edge-of-the-map starts with no immediate targets to conquer because Ivar and the Alba guy are both super strong and also everywhere - do I just raid as much as possible for money/renown while focusing on developing my two main counties? I did snag the Faereyar and use it as a staging point for raids. From what I understand it'll be generations until I can even think about going feudal (what do I need to go feudal btw?) but just keeping my few counties is going to make it hard to build up enough to survive I think.

Any and all tips welcome!

I have done and restarted many Auğr games. The most I've accomplished is forming Iceland and The Isles, and then started getting sucked into the mess in the south. For the most part, it is indeed quieter. Raid Canterbury a lot, it has a lot of money. You can do a lot of pilgrimages to rack up piety and finish out the Learning perks for making your own faith, if that sounds fun. Definitely add a Rally point in the Isles, so you have a place to launch that's closer to everywhere, and that isn't near peasant uprisings in Iceland (sounds as though you did that).

You can also get money and prestige once crusades start. Join in, and nip at flanks far away from Jerusalem. Also, have lots of kids and marry them off to Alba and Ivar et cetera.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bees everywhere posted:

Vassals are only obligated to provide you with a portion of their levies, which automatically gets included in with your own levies unlike CK2. You can also be allied to your vassals but I think there's a catch I'm not remembering right now.

Being allied with your vassal is mostly there for relationship purposes and so you can help them against rebels. They don't join outside wars and don't bring you into wars they start with outsiders.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

The effects of renown + the diplomacy trees seems a little OP. I just finished forming the empire of hispania by force vassalizing one of my Muslim neighbors and he was still +63 afterwards despite the -30 religion is evil and -20 declared war and everything else modifiers.

And he, along with everyone else I could be bothered to check, was at least a +80 to me beforehand too. Random people in the middle of India love me.

This is true but bear in mind that this is a "I've been king for a while" thing. If you're relying on these opinion bonuses and think everyone in your kingdom just loves the king whoever they are, you will be in for a surprise when that king dies and all your vassals are at -80 and joining liberty/independence factions. Diplomacy rulers can hold a very stable realm that is prone to exploding immediately on their death (much like what happens with cults of personality in real life).

Eschatos posted:

So what actually is the point of seducing? Just stress reduction and spare bastards if you get outed?

Also is there some gimmick I can use to stop a kingdom from being formed and passed down to a second child? Don't think changing inheritance will do it with the options I got.

Lovers can't join factions against you, so loving half your vassals is a good way to keep the realm stable. They are also much more prone to accepting diplomatic requests from you so you can parley it into setting up marriages that might allow someone in your dynasty to inherit their titles eventually. As for the second thing, that's specifically confederate partition that does that. Changing to any other inheritance law and destroying all your kingdom titles but one will prevent that (if you're starting in 867 though it might be a while before you can unlock standard partition though).

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

After my reasonably long-lived king died and I took over as his daughter, I realized my next primary heir was her ridiculous fail-daughter. A ton of bad traits, nothing good, yikes. I signed her up as a knight and hoped that she wouldn't make it through two or three decades of wars, but then I called a hunt and she turned the tables by merking me. Now I'm this terrible queen that everyone hates.

game rules. I wonder if there was a better way to take care of her, maybe by separating her out from my army and sending her to fight an enemy army single-handedly?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So can you only get one Innovation Exposure at one time? I converted to Orthodox just to try and crib some techs off the Romans, but I am getting absolutely nothing from them, though I do receive exposure from the Swabians with whom I share a religion (we don't share a religion)

Broken Cog posted:

Go to load game and tick the "Show viable saves" box twice. Sometimes the game doesn't show certain saves until you have done that.

Yeah I've been doing that, but I stupidly just pressed continue and then exit to menu, rather than Task Managering it. :smith:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

As far as I can tell they are totally useless. Always hired out, take up a holding that they do not upgrade, now and then they come to you and say "Hey we want this holding too! We'll give you 750 gold for it!" even if you accept nothing seems to happen...as in you don't get the gold and they don't expand to the 2nd holding...

Supposedly you should have been able to force your undesirable sons into the order, but I do not see that option anywhere.

I think the problem is currently they may ask for holdings occupied by one of your baron-tier vassals, at which point they give you the money but don't actually take over the holding. If you personally hold a barony they do seem to actually take it, at least I saw it happen once. At which point I paid 100 faith to revoke it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Being allied with your vassal is mostly there for relationship purposes and so you can help them against rebels. They don't join outside wars and don't bring you into wars they start with outsiders.

There's also a perk in diplomacy that gives you +1 diplomacy per alliance, which looks like it could get silly with a decent size realm.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Yeah, your daughter calls me "Papa" too

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chakan posted:

There's also a perk in diplomacy that gives you +1 diplomacy per alliance, which looks like it could get silly with a decent size realm.

each alliance adds a -10 modifier to proposing another

it could still get silly with a long-ruling character I guess

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
I almost flipped out because my cloud save (1066 Ireland, currently Messalian Irish emperor of Britannia, date around 1300) got corrupted.

Protip: if you disable cloud saves in the Steam settings, you can copy the "last_save.ck3" file from your local directory and resume play, potentially having lost only a few years instead of your entire legacy.

Also, did the crusade timer get reduced? The Pope has declared a crusade for (Messalian) Danelaw (an early plot to marry a son off to a Danish claimant to England ended up with the Danes permanently renaming the country) four times in the last 80 years. Each time, the invaders get thrown back into the sea, but they invariably return within 20 years. For some reason my religion loses fervor when I repel a crusade, which is the opposite of how it worked in CK2, where a failed crusade would lead to heresies popping up all over the place because God does not favor the faithful.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Carps! :argh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

So can you only get one Innovation Exposure at one time? I converted to Orthodox just to try and crib some techs off the Romans, but I am getting absolutely nothing from them, though I do receive exposure from the Swabians with whom I share a religion (we don't share a religion)

Yeah I've been doing that, but I stupidly just pressed continue and then exit to menu, rather than Task Managering it. :smith:

Yeah you only get one exposure, I'm not sure how it picks it but I think once it's picked one it keeps it until it finishes. So it probably won't update until then.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

I have a question (again), because I'm don't know if this is a (minor) bug, or I'm just not seeing something really obvious.
I'm about to declare a war for a de jure title. I have two options for the very same title (the "If you Enforce your Demands" text is 1:1 the same for both), but the prestige cost is different.

Can anyone tell me why one prestige cost is 90 but it's 360 for the other?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nekoxid posted:

I have a question (again), because I'm don't know if this is a (minor) bug, or I'm just not seeing something really obvious.
I'm about to declare a war for a de jure title. I have two options for the very same title (the "If you Enforce your Demands" text is 1:1 the same for both), but the prestige cost is different.

I think you've got it right, these two claims do the same thing except one costs more prestige.

The one for the duchy could, in theory, grab multiple counties at once, which is why it costs more, but in this case there's only one county to grab.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

nekoxid posted:

...isnt the one on the right also letting you seize the duchy title?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Excelzior posted:

You'd think that, but it doesn't seem to work that way in my experience. I seem to always need to create/usurp a duchy title even after making a dejure/holy war/claim war on a duchy. Perhaps I am wrong though and there is one casus belli I am missing that actually does let you seize a duchy title directly.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 9, 2020

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I've got 1 county in this duchy, and I'm trying to revoke his duchy title, which I have a claim on, but the tooltip doesn't make any sense. He'll still have 2 counties, which are land, I'll just be the new duke. What am I missing?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Excelzior posted:

It would, but the target is a count so he presumably doesn't have the duchy title.

It's a little odd that you can declare a De Jure war for single counties with a ducal-level CB. I'm not sure it's strictly speaking a bug but you should certainly never pick the ducal CB in this situation since you always also have a county CB and that's cheaper.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

super fart shooter posted:

I've got 1 county in this duchy, and I'm trying to revoke his duchy title, which I have a claim on, but the tooltip doesn't make any sense. He'll still have 2 counties, which are land, I'll just be the new duke. What am I missing?

Because if you revoke the duchy title, it automatically revokes all counties in the duchy in CK3. You basically either need to revoke each individual county, or give them a county outside the duchy before revoking the duchy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Half your right clicks going through those pop ups on the top middle of the screen is infuriating, and doubly so when it happens while you have an army that is currently in combat selected.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Half your right clicks going through those pop ups on the top middle of the screen is infuriating, and doubly so when it happens while you have an army that is currently in combat selected.

That happened to me once before I always made sure to never have an army selected when right-clicking those banners. I think I'll get that movable suggestions box mod though so I can just let them sit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is there a bug with wanderers that means there's no limit on age? I just found that my 6 year old son is "visiting" some other court and I can't assign him a guardian or invite him back to my court. My current character just inherited the kingdom and I'm not sure where he was before this, so I don't know if my son was left behind or if he just decided to walk half way across the world. All the other kids and my wife are in my capital so what the hell is going on?

Also is there any way for me to fix this? Will he come back at some point?

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

I think you've got it right, these two claims do the same thing except one costs more prestige.

The one for the duchy could, in theory, grab multiple counties at once, which is why it costs more, but in this case there's only one county to grab.

Yeah it's just one county title for both. Well I guess it's a bug.
(Also: not being able to tell my allies to "just camp there, and continue the siege, I can take care of the army" is kind of annoying, especialy when they both try to do the siege AND attack the opponent (so they keep trying to leave and then decided to camp *repeat*))

Xerophyte posted:

It would, but the target is a count so he presumably doesn't have the duchy title.

It's a little odd that you can declare a De Jure war for single counties with a ducal-level CB. I'm not sure it's strictly speaking a bug but you should certainly never pick the ducal CB in this situation since you always also have a county CB and that's cheaper.
Yeah I took the cheaper option.
It's probably easy to reproduce this. On 1066 start as Count Antal of Somogy (in Hungary). He already has enough titles for becoming a duke, you just need to wait to get enough gold for it. Next step: Declare war for the de jure title.

Edit: Typo

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Magil Zeal posted:

Because if you revoke the duchy title, it automatically revokes all counties in the duchy in CK3. You basically either need to revoke each individual county, or give them a county outside the duchy before revoking the duchy.

Oh, I didn't know it worked like that. But I still don't quite understand, he's only got the duchy title, and the two counties you can see there, plus two bishoprics within those counties. All within the duchy. So if it works like you say, shouldn't I just be able to revoke the duchy and leave him with no titles then? Revoking the counties first would mean he would have a duchy title with no land, which is actually what the tooltip is saying is not allowed.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the Comfort Eater trait supposed to have any downside other than the -1 Stewardship it comes with? My current dude stress eats every few years and hasn't gotten fat or anything. I've seen some people complain that it's impossible to lose weight once your character goes Obese; I wonder if this is kind of the flip side of that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah you only get one exposure, I'm not sure how it picks it but I think once it's picked one it keeps it until it finishes. So it probably won't update until then.

Blech aight, and I can't even shake much gold out of the Patriarch, back to Pagan it is!

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 9, 2020

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

There's a jainist sect that seems to have taken over a lot of the Indian subcontinent that has really led to some interesting council meetings.

Watch where you're swingin' that sword.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oh, I didn't know it worked like that. But I still don't quite understand, he's only got the duchy title, and the two counties you can see there, plus two bishoprics within those counties. All within the duchy. So if it works like you say, shouldn't I just be able to revoke the duchy and leave him with no titles then? Revoking the counties first would mean he would have a duchy title with no land, which is actually what the tooltip is saying is not allowed.

On second glance, you're completely right, the tooltip is very confusing.

Bold Robot posted:

Is the Comfort Eater trait supposed to have any downside other than the -1 Stewardship it comes with? My current dude stress eats every few years and hasn't gotten fat or anything. I've seen some people complain that it's impossible to lose weight once your character goes Obese; I wonder if this is kind of the flip side of that.

It does cost gold to eat, and maybe eating too often makes you obese, but other than that I don't think there are many downsides.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

nekoxid posted:

You can mouse over the prestige cost to see a breakdown of where it's coming from. I think in this case even if the territory being taken is exactly the same, because the more expensive one is a duchy claim rather than a county claim it has a higher base cost.

I had this too and I think it's a weird bug - you can get around it by giving them a random vassal outside of their de jure territory before trying to revoke. For some reason this will allow you to revoke the duchy title as you would in CK2. You don't have to actually give them land, just grant a vassal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

After my reasonably long-lived king died and I took over as his daughter, I realized my next primary heir was her ridiculous fail-daughter. A ton of bad traits, nothing good, yikes. I signed her up as a knight and hoped that she wouldn't make it through two or three decades of wars, but then I called a hunt and she turned the tables by merking me. Now I'm this terrible queen that everyone hates.

game rules. I wonder if there was a better way to take care of her, maybe by separating her out from my army and sending her to fight an enemy army single-handedly?

I was in a similar situation with my Hispania heir, son 1 was a real shitter, son 2 a paragon of virtue with 27 diplomacy at 30. I tried the whole "get the craven killed in wars" route for a while, then just ate the penalty for disinheriting which is certainly a route you could have taken.

Otherwise I think one of the murder-y trees in intrigue lets you kill your kids, that'd be an option too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This game still makes for some fun stories. My father united Hispania literally weeks before his death (I got the 1 year to go popup, fired the war and blitzed it down). Then his son is called on a crusade for England, which I nearly singlehandedly win (by boating around and getting occupations, which seem to count a lot more than battles), get maimed, loose a leg but gain crusader. While I'm gone, an independence faction fires, so I have to fuckin boat back home, a valiant crusader and whip the queen of Navarra back in line with my beleaguered troops. Finally got things settled, and I can focus on kicking everyone else out of the remains of Iberia. I'm a lunatic which I fear will uh, cause problems at some point.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Magil Zeal posted:

You'd think that, but it doesn't seem to work that way in my experience. I seem to always need to create/usurp a duchy title even after making a dejure/holy war/claim war on a duchy. Perhaps I am wrong though and there is one casus belli I am missing that actually does let you seize a duchy title directly.

even if the duchy title doesn't exist (or is still held by someone else) then "declare war on duchy" means trying to grab the entire duchy in one go, rather than a single county. if there's only one county you can possibly grab then yeah you're just throwing away piety

if the count you are warring had two counties within the duchy, you'd be grabbing them both with the more expensive CB

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

nekoxid posted:

If you hover over the cost it should tell you exactly what factors in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Excelzior posted:

each alliance adds a -10 modifier to proposing another

it could still get silly with a long-ruling character I guess

There's one that gives you +2 to a random stat for every friend you have, which makes your ruler incredibly good at everything if you start with enough diplomacy to befriend people quickly and has no diminishing returns.