Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ineptitude posted:

Good catch. Yeah the one he linked was discontinued 6 years ago and wasn't even the most common variant of these 2 even back then. IIRC he needs this for the voltron set so the newer variant 30241b is the correct one.

It's a back and forth I've done many times this week. "Why is this piece so expensive?! I need 100 of these fuckers! Oh..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And if Lego were to produce some common sets, or just the bricks, they could slash prices on some pricey sets.

Like Green Grocer. Those sand green bricks are like 1/3 of the price. I kinda feel Lego does the fans a disservice by not producing just normal bricks in all their colors. I get specialty stuff not being made constantly, but a 1x8 sand green brick shouldn't cost $2.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waltzing Along posted:

And if Lego were to produce some common sets, or just the bricks, they could slash prices on some pricey sets.

Like Green Grocer. Those sand green bricks are like 1/3 of the price. I kinda feel Lego does the fans a disservice by not producing just normal bricks in all their colors. I get specialty stuff not being made constantly, but a 1x8 sand green brick shouldn't cost $2.

The worry now is that now Lego gets a cut from Bricklink sales will there be an incentive in the opposite direction to never reproduce the rare bricks that sell for more.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Where do you see that Lego gets a cut from BL sales?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ineptitude posted:

They... own them? So presumably...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Spiral staircases give me fits, especially if they have a handrail.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Ineptitude posted:

1) Bricklink takes a cut from sales on their platform, at a minimum of 3% (https://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=38)
2) LEGO owns Bricklink (https://brickset.com/article/47293/the-lego-group-acquires-bricklink)

So therefore LEGO takes a percentage of Bricklink sales.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lego reveal the cantina set.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE6qyicAAER/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

It is alluring to me. Don't know why, but between it and the bespin duel i'm really keen on these last couple star wars sets.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

“Tom admits he didn’t look too closely at the ad, and trusted that an ad online would be legit”

“This isn’t just a toy, it’s an investment... if you buy and hold something really popular and the price goes up, you could make a lot of money. Investors have to be really careful when they buy Legos”

Or, you know, it’s pretty easy to distinguish...

Can I be the first to say that IDGAF about lego investors? I mean sure, bricklink is great, and sets appreciate when they go away, that’s hunky dorey, but then you have so many people scooping up every on sale set in a 50 mile radius to hoard and gouge these things because everyone and their brother thinks they can make a living price optimizing everything on the internet.

I mean, hell, my nephew really wants this jungle exploration site that was originally ~60$, but when I was trying to find one for him a few weeks ago everything I was seeing was >$300. Now I’m seeing some stuff on ebay for ~100$, but drat. It’s not even a modular or something I’d call collectible

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Scipiotik posted:

It is alluring to me. Don't know why, but between it and the bespin duel i'm really keen on these last couple star wars sets.
All right, take my money, I guess I don't need it that much :homebrew:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I really want Lego to make an Ancient Aliens theme, it can be like their old Adventurers theme and go all over the world, but with aliens. They haven't done a proper sci-fi theme in a few years anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fun part about collectors selling stuff at a huge markup is looking at the bricklink sales history. It works, but you're not gonna be putting food on the table with it unless you got something truly rare.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Neat! What are playing?

How stable is that mech suit? Those spindly legs worry me.

Suprisingly stable. Like, I can grab the cabin and apply a bunch of torsion to turn the legs about and they DO NOT come apart. It doesn't even really need the plate under it but since I'm working on it it just makes it way easier.

We're playing a homebrew that we've been putting together for a while now. Just a simple little strategy style game. If you're interested you can hit me in PMs and I'll hit you up with a copy of the (at this point still rudimentary) rule book. It's not a bad little game to have a few beers and play with a bud.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 9, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Scipiotik posted:

Don't really care about the cantina but that speeder and all those minifigs sure look nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's a nice set and all, but is the star wars license just going to be selling a set and then making it more complicated and selling it again in a few years? I'm not super into star wars, so I guess it's more grating to me that they have people recycling sets because the license prints money when there are other things those people could be making.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Gonna buy it, but that $350 price is kind of hard to swallow.

Luckily I’m approaching what I think will be the end of my collecting this theme. Other than Ewok Village (least favorite part of the OT anyway), and that crappy little Endor shield generator set that was an anniversary release years ago, I think I now have acquired every major play set for OT locations.

Granted, I would still buy the gently caress out of a proper UCS Hoth (not whatever sad poo poo 75098 was), but 7879 will do for now.

E: forgot about Yavin Base, perhaps the one major OT location to never get any kind of release.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 9, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

That's a nice set and all, but is the star wars license just going to be selling a set and then making it more complicated and selling it again in a few years? I'm not super into star wars, so I guess it's more grating to me that they have people recycling sets because the license prints money when there are other things those people could be making.

It has been that for a while, IMO. Think of them as the “City Police” theme of the licensed Lego world.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Blue Moonlight posted:

It has been that for a while, IMO. Think of them as the “City Police” theme of the licensed Lego world.

Yeah, they have done this like clockwork since the inception of the star wars license. The improvements are becoming far more iterative than revolutionary so I find that the improvements are becoming very slight.

Also looks like the Cantina has a VIP presale starting next week. At least according to Promobricks.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 9, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I actually kind of want this, and I'm not really a playset person except for Jabba's Palace and my smaller cantina set, but... I don't know where I'd put it. But I need those drat minifigs!

Blue Moonlight posted:

They talk about it in interviews sometimes, that some Star Wars sets are sort of evergreen- one stays out of production for a little bit and they bring it back because it's so iconic and kids who are just coming to be the right age will want it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Check your Assembly Square. Found on Reddit:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I’ve had that issue with wedges (and minifig torsos, heads, and even some regular bricks) cracking since 2015 or so. Seems less common now, but for a while in the mid-‘10s, any set I got would crack within a few weeks of being together.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Check your Assembly Square. Found on Reddit:

I'll post here what I posted there, then:

"There is a known issue with:

1. the design of cheese slopes, and specifically how they are molded, with their weakest point being in the center of their thinnest edge. Look at the swirling of a flat silver or pearl gold one to really highlight this issue - or just look at any that have broken, since they all break in the same spot.

2. brown-hued pieces manufactured before mid-2018 (Assembly Square is from 2017). We mostly talk about reddish brown, dark brown, and dark red, but the issues sometimes extended to other similar hues like dark orange and medium nougat. This has, by all accounts, been fixed, but reddish/brownish hued pieces had brittleness issues for a long time. I've personally had various reddish brown plates and dark brown tiles break over time, most recently some dark brown 1 x 1 round tiles in dark brown on my 2017 Old Fishing Store."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I deliberately mix/alter all of my sets to make them less collectible

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Time Cowboy posted:

I’ve had that issue with wedges (and minifig torsos, heads, and even some regular bricks) cracking since 2015 or so. Seems less common now, but for a while in the mid-‘10s, any set I got would crack within a few weeks of being together.

I've broken two pieces in the last few years - one a blue version of that 2x4 piece that has a 2x2 center and then two wedge rising sides with 1x2 edges, and one a blue technic pin of the type that has a stud on the side. The larger piece I admittedly stepped on, but the technic pin just disintegrated when I punched it out of its hole.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It’s odd, I’ve never seen a broken piece that I didn’t break myself by mistake (usually technic rods and long wide plates broken from me pawing through the big unsorted bin)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My broken pieces are all 1x1 clips

Dogen
May 5, 2002

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It’s odd, I’ve never seen a broken piece that I didn’t break myself by mistake (usually technic rods and long wide plates broken from me pawing through the big unsorted bin)

I've had various flavors of c-clip crap out on me that were not my fault.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Fins off cylindrical pieces. Like the ones that are supposed to look like the bottom of a rocket. But I can't decide if that was just kid me being super rough with toys.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I really want Lego to make an Ancient Aliens theme, it can be like their old Adventurers theme and go all over the world, but with aliens. They haven't done a proper sci-fi theme in a few years anyway.

I was just talking about the lack of sci-fi sets with a friend this weekend, and the conclusion we came to is maybe they don't want conflict of interest with Star Wars (and possibly MCU) sets. Which sucks if that's correct. Nexo Knights wasn't too long ago, but it also wasn't very "space" focused.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

I like pretty much everything about this set. it ticks all of my boxes. great looking, full buildings instead of facades, ton of detail, nice scale, tons of minifigures and side builds. Just all around looks great.

Also it looks like a really fun build which is rare for Star Wars. Guess I'm pawning some Lego cause I really want this.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 9, 2020

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I'm surprised it took me so long to realize this could easily be done with bricks, eat your heart out, LEGO wall art line :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I like pretty much everything about this set. it ticks all of my boxes. great looking, full buildings instead of facades, ton of detail, nice scale, tons of minifigures and side builds. Just all around looks great.

Also it looks like a really fun build which is rare for Star Wars. Guess I'm pawning some Lego cause I really want this.

I’m kinda torn because I really like the way it looks but it’s huge and the price point is tough to swallow right now. I may just pay the $30 or whatever for Hammerhead and Ponda Boba on BrickLink and maybe piece out that speeder and call it a day.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zefiel posted:

I'm surprised it took me so long to realize this could easily be done with bricks, eat your heart out, LEGO wall art line :v:

Great idea! You should totally get some studs around it and stick some flat pieces around the perimeter to make a frame!!!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Literally A Person posted:

Great idea! You should totally get some studs around it and stick some flat pieces around the perimeter to make a frame!!!

:aaa: Thank you! Yes that shouldn't be too hard and it will look MUCH better!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zefiel posted:

:aaa: Thank you! Yes that shouldn't be too hard and it will look MUCH better!

:peanut:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m kinda torn because I really like the way it looks but it’s huge and the price point is tough to swallow right now. I may just pay the $30 or whatever for Hammerhead and Ponda Boba on BrickLink and maybe piece out that speeder and call it a day.

I feel you. I'm actually unemployed atm, so spending that much on a Lego set is super dumb for me. But I figure if I ebay enough stuff to cover it, it'll remove most of the guilt.

I did exactly that with Cloud City . I just bought some of my favorite figs on Ebay. I kind of regret not just getting the set though. It's already obscenely expensive on the aftermarket, as I assume this will be too. I like this set way more than cloud city though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Go ahead and puke along with me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Lego-...=p2047675.l2557

It's handy, and sometimes depressing, to look at closed auctions. But then you find one like this and yeah...

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Zefiel posted:

Funny you should choose that piece of art, since that exact painting was the inspiration for Lego's original palette back in the 60s

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Go ahead and puke along with me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Lego-...=p2047675.l2557

It's handy, and sometimes depressing, to look at closed auctions. But then you find one like this and yeah...

You gotta wonder what people like this were thinking. The selling has over 3000 auctions. You'd think they'd do a little research first.

I run into these all of the time looking at sold auctions though. Sadly I'm never the one that finds them when they are listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
UCS Sandcrawler has a bunch of cheese slopes that cracked on mine last time I rebuilt it