Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dip Viscous posted:

I just discovered while grocery shopping that powdered milk is a real product.

Can I ask why you thought it was made up? Like, what purpose in a narrative would an imaginary "powdered milk" serve?

I've been meaning to pick some powdered milk up so I can make S.O.S. in the event of a food shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

To be fair, they both have Travolta in.

Out of context I thought you were talking about Coldplay and Pantera

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Can I ask why you thought it was made up? Like, what purpose in a narrative would an imaginary "powdered milk" serve?

I guess that I heard it mentioned somewhere at some point in my life and mentally put it in the same category as Powdered Toast from Ren & Stimpy. It just doesn't seem like something that would be possible to turn into a powdered form, yet alone a shelf stable one. What's next, powdered beer?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dip Viscous posted:

I guess that I heard it mentioned somewhere at some point in my life and mentally put it in the same category as Powdered Toast from Ren & Stimpy. It just doesn't seem like something that would be possible to turn into a powdered form, yet alone a shelf stable one. What's next, powdered beer?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dip Viscous posted:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Must be great to grow up with reliable electricity and consider powdered milk a cartoonish curiosity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Must be great to grow up with reliable electricity and consider powdered milk a cartoonish curiosity.

- Posted from my calculating machine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

People were using liquid milk long before electricity*.

I used to live in a block of flats built in the mid-50s and while the apartment had been supplied with a refrigerator at some point, you could still tell there had originally only been a food pantry. You could tell because there was a pipe leading outside in the cabinet under the fridge, and at some point the retrofitted cap had fallen out so the cabinet was always inhabited by bees, wasps, etc. until I figured it out.

*) Which, of course, is painfully obvious.

e: A former class-mate of mine had wasps in the vestibule wardrobe because the lay-out of the place had been changed at some point. He didn't believe me at first when I told him to look for a pipe leading straight outside.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Sep 9, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Pocket Billiards posted:

Nobody in my family drank milk. I guess the money saved on never buying milk allowed my parents to pay the electric bill.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't like milk anyway, so we just bought more electricity and stuck our spoons in the outlet while eating breakfast.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There's also powdered eggs. Milk and egg powders are probably mostly used in cooking rather than, like mixed in water and drank. Powdered toast is real btw, it's called breadcrumbs, also used in cooking.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

doverhog posted:

There's also powdered eggs. Milk and egg powders are probably mostly used in cooking rather than, like mixed in water and drank.
My mom (born in '51) grew up hovering right on the edge of poverty and could only afford powdered milk sometimes, reconstituted with water to be drunk straight or used in cereal, etc. :(

I use powdered milk and eggwhites in baking, either because the recipe calls for it or because I can buy and store more for longer. The last ice cream I made called for powdered milk for a little extra richness on top of the heavy cream and buttermilk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In Canada, milk is stored in the balls.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Powdered toast man is "powdered" with sugar. The toast is not a powder. He's a piece of french toast. Or rather his head is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

Powdered toast man is "powdered" with sugar. The toast is not a powder. He's a piece of french toast. Or rather his head is.

e: I'm coming to the realization that "Things Man Was Not Meant To Know" can also apply to dumb as hell stuff that you shouldn't have cluttering up your brain

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Sep 9, 2020

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Today I browsed the GBS menstruation thread and I learned that most women bleed for around five days. My periods last one to two days and I had just kind of accepted everyone else's did too, and I did not expect to learn that particular tidbit of data at freakin' 31 years old :wtc:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jiru posted:

Today I browsed the GBS menstruation thread and I learned that most women bleed for around five days. My periods last one to two days and I had just kind of accepted everyone else's did too, and I did not expect to learn that particular tidbit of data at freakin' 31 years old :wtc:

Not to assume you're in the US, but I'm guessing you might be because by and large US sex and reproductive health education is terrible.

I'm a dude goon, and by US standards had relatively great sex ed in the 90s thanks to living in the liberal hell hole of New England and still was very uninformed about menstruation...not that I personally ever have to go through it, but knowing more would have saved me embarrassment and whatnot with future girlfriends.

For instance, it wasn't until college that I found out periods lasted days, and weren't just like 'oh, it's happening now and...it's done.' like a one time blood 'pee' for lack of a better analogy.

Like...I knew they could last several days to a week, but I thought that meant that at any point in those several days is when it will happen, and when it did you were done for that month, not that it's possibly a drat near constant flow for that entire time.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not to assume you're in the US, but I'm guessing you might be because by and large US sex and reproductive health education is terrible.

I am from Spain, and although it has oscillated quite a bit in later years, we got some rather decent sex-ed going on when I was at school. I just kinda assumed that the 4-5 days included the cramps and general discomfort you get before and sometimes after the actual period, not bleeding all the time (because I sure as hell don't). It was just one of those weird mental things where you don't really question it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So yesterday I was assembling a loving complicated electric standing/sitting desk for my wife, and I had unwound the cords so they were hanging freely.

My wife said, no, I need to do the cords. I need you to ravel those back up.

So I did.

Later, I was wondering if "ravel" is a real word, so I looked it up.

Ravel and Unravel mean the same thing, just like Flammable and Inflammable.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

So yesterday I was assembling a loving complicated electric standing/sitting desk for my wife, and I had unwound the cords so they were hanging freely.

My wife said, no, I need to do the cords. I need you to ravel those back up.

So I did.

Later, I was wondering if "ravel" is a real word, so I looked it up.

Did you ravel them for her so they were dangling down again like she asked?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm a dude goon, and by US standards had relatively great sex ed in the 90s thanks to living in the liberal hell hole of New England and still was very uninformed about menstruation...not that I personally ever have to go through it, but knowing more would have saved me embarrassment and whatnot with future girlfriends.

For instance, it wasn't until college that I found out periods lasted days, and weren't just like 'oh, it's happening now and...it's done.' like a one time blood 'pee' for lack of a better analogy.

Like...I knew they could last several days to a week, but I thought that meant that at any point in those several days is when it will happen, and when it did you were done for that month, not that it's possibly a drat near constant flow for that entire time.

We had three days dedicated to abstinence, it was great*

*not actually great

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Len posted:

We had three days dedicated to abstinence, it was great*

*not actually great

Do you pass if you don't go to any of the classes?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inceltown posted:

Do you pass if you don't go to any of the classes?

It was 8th grade civics and probably, but how would you get your Abstinence Pledge Card? Or hear the story from the woman about how she had one gift to give and she gave it to the wrong person? Or how if you have sex with someone you have sex with every person they've ever slept with that was demonstrated by mixing puddings together?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Len posted:

It was 8th grade civics and probably, but how would you get your Abstinence Pledge Card? Or hear the story from the woman about how she had one gift to give and she gave it to the wrong person? Or how if you have sex with someone you have sex with every person they've ever slept with that was demonstrated by mixing puddings together?

But if you abstain from abstinence class you're showing that you have the advanced skills necessary already.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

I mean as a male I have to keep score for bragging rights and this really inflated my number. Feeling pretty good about this.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I don't remember much about sex ed in SC where I grew up, except that (1) the teachers had an anonymous questions box and they said they'd answer almost any question, but warned us they were forbidden from answering questions about homosexuality, and (2) we watched some video that featured a couple of teen boys talking about masturbation and that it was normal and "girls do it too!"

Jiru posted:

I am from Spain, and although it has oscillated quite a bit in later years, we got some rather decent sex-ed going on when I was at school. I just kinda assumed that the 4-5 days included the cramps and general discomfort you get before and sometimes after the actual period, not bleeding all the time (because I sure as hell don't). It was just one of those weird mental things where you don't really question it.

Gotta admit I'm a little jealous.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beachcomber posted:

:aaaaa:

OK so what the hell am I supposed to say when I want someone to do the opposite? Antiravel it? Counterunravel it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Surely the opposite of Ravel would be Debussy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Memento posted:

Surely the opposite of Ravel would be LeVar

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And that's why it's like a writing desk?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

:aaaaa:

OK so what the hell am I supposed to say when I want someone to do the opposite? Antiravel it? Counterunravel it?

Wind it. Or tangle it, if you want to be messy about it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

RE: Menstrual chat

My wife asked me randomly last night as we were getting ready for bed what the R on a tampon meant. I said 'Regular?' and she showed me this on facebook and it made me sad for dudes who are so loving clueless.

e: that article is utter bullshit clickbait but it covers it all

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Hygiene posted:

Flyball posted:

Wind it. Or tangle it, if you want to be messy about it.

We also would have accepted 'entangle'.

Edit:

Inceltown posted:

Did you ravel them for her so they were dangling down again like she asked?

God willing, I hope to never touch that desk again.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Sep 10, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TK-42-1 posted:

RE: Menstrual chat

My wife asked me randomly last night as we were getting ready for bed what the R on a tampon meant. I said 'Regular?' and she showed me this on facebook and it made me sad for dudes who are so loving clueless.

e: that article is utter bullshit clickbait but it covers it all

"Ravel," it refers to the string you pull to unwind all the threads

I'm not gonna rag on any man who doesn't know what all the letters on tampons mean; as the clickbait article shows, a bunch of companies use a bunch of terms, which means a bunch of letters, am I supposed to study a table and keep track of what a capital P means for three different companies just in case my SO picks up a new brand?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

John Lee posted:

"Ravel," it refers to the string you pull to unwind all the threads

am I supposed to study a table and keep track of what a capital P means for three different companies just in case my SO picks up a new brand?

Period :rolleyes:

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Jiru posted:

some incredibly lucky people have theirs last for two straight weeks at a time, every time :shepface:

thankfully, testosterone clears that little mishap (amongst others) right up

(it's nice that the title of the period thread isn't gendered, but it kinda sucks that the dick ball etc thread is)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Emily Spinach posted:

(1) the teachers had an anonymous questions box and they said they'd answer almost any question, but warned us they were forbidden from answering questions about homosexuality

Bad

quote:

(2) we watched some video that featured a couple of teen boys talking about masturbation and that it was normal and "girls do it too!"

Good

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Yeah. Honestly on the whole I think the sex ed I received was pretty ok, especially for being in the south (and in the hometown of Bob Jones U). It was five years, four of which was learning (accurately) how both sides' bits work and how pregnancy happens. The fifth time, in freshman year of high school and taught by a couple of women from the county health department, had that still but also more about social aspects of sex and teenagers. The lgbt thing was bad and it was definitely abstinence forward, but except for those things mandated by state law it was science based and definitely not judgmental (on the part of the teachers and curriculum).

Of course, this was in the late 90s and like the first year of the Bush admin. It's probably way worse now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DrBouvenstein posted:

1) I went to eight different public schools, and I received sex ed at none of them. Thankfully my mom taught me what I needed to know, in a normal, non-creepy, non-abstinence-focused, "only do it when you're ready, and use protection" kind of way.

2) If you grew up in a household with at least one uterus-haver, how on earth did they hide their days-long periods from you?

Turpitude II posted:

some incredibly lucky people have theirs last for two straight weeks at a time, every time :shepface:

Or, you know, five. :smithicide: I'm going to my gyno soon because this poo poo is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cracker throwers, for throwing crackers, exist.