Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Louisgod posted:

I’m freaking the gently caress out as people are evacuating TO Eugene so if we have to evacuate it’s going to be absolutely hellish. Logistically I can’t wrap my mind around it.

all the hotels here in grants pass are filled up as is the fairgrounds with evacuees from phoenix, south medford and talent. meanwhile there's a 22000 acre uncontained fire a couple dozen miles to our south burning through forests where it's impossible to get fire equipment and it's absolutely not out of the question that it reaches here and that's ignoring any other fires that might spring up near here.

i don't even know where the central point evacuees can go that's anywhere near here.

also just heard on the scanner another possible new fire in white city. what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

predicto posted:

this is all that is left of the postapocalyptic bay area

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

all the hotels here in grants pass are filled up as is the fairgrounds with evacuees from phoenix, south medford and talent. meanwhile there's a 22000 acre uncontained fire a couple dozen miles to our south burning through forests where it's impossible to get fire equipment and it's absolutely not out of the question that it reaches here and that's ignoring any other fires that might spring up near here.

i don't even know where the central point evacuees can go that's anywhere near here.

also just heard on the scanner another possible new fire in white city. what.

oh no i have friends in white city :smith:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

smoobles posted:

I know this thread is a "glass half empty" crowd but I wanna report that the weather in DFW is going to be quite nice this week, because we're right at the intersection of the polar deathwinds and the hurricane hell vortex.

the one livable strip of land includes dfw, we're all doomed anyway

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
What's the best Great Lakes state to move to in order to escape this hellworld? I see on zillow I can get waterfront property in Cleveland for 35k or thereabouts. I've seen every episode of Property Bros so, you know, I think I can handle a little renovation challenge

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Homeless Friend posted:

prometheus got what he deserved imo

otoh cheeseburgers couldn't exist without his gift, only the gods could know their bliss

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

nikosoft posted:

What's the best Great Lakes state to move to in order to escape this hellworld? I see on zillow I can get waterfront property in Cleveland for 35k or thereabouts. I've seen every episode of Property Bros so, you know, I think I can handle a little renovation challenge

Whatever one you move to, know that you chose the wrong one

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Great lakes or North Central Washington for places that have long term potential?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there are no safe places in hellworld. wherever you move will be a catastrophic disaster

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

nikosoft posted:

What's the best Great Lakes state to move to in order to escape this hellworld?

Ontario

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nikosoft posted:

Ontario, the States are tapping out already I would just call it on the lower 48

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Whatever one you move to, know that you chose the wrong one

Buddy, have you SEEN the property prices on the lake in Milwaukee??? This poo poo isn't even on fire! I could see myself as a Bucks fan, I like deer, and they definitely have a brighter future than the Kings.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

All the billionaires who plan to flee to NZ seem to have forgotten that it's part of the ring of fire and gets regular earthquakes not to mention the volcanic fields and possible tsunamis.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Helith posted:

All the billionaires who plan to flee to NZ seem to have forgotten that it's part of the ring of fire and gets regular earthquakes not to mention the volcanic fields and possible tsunamis.

I'll take that over hurricanes and pandemics*

*once i become a billionaire

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Whoa.... I feel like I was meant to live in a place called "Thunder Bay"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stereotype posted:

oh no i have friends in white city :smith:

not confirmed yet, sounded like the report might have come from a firefighting aircraft. they asked for units to be sent to confirm it. they also just panned the camera around on the local news livestream and i didn't see any smoke in the direction of white city, so if there is one it does not seem like it's major yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Great lakes or North Central Washington for places that have long term potential?

Ohio

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

nikosoft posted:

I can vouch for the western side of Lake Michigan. Can't argue while I'm being cooled by its breeze and drinking its water.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nikosoft posted:

Come to Wisconsin and help us vote out the rest of the republicans. Cheap property, good beer, 3 good sports teams, lots of outdoors stuff to do, abundant fresh water and food.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Omnicarus posted:

I seem to remember that the Soviets used nuclear weapons to fight fires in gas fields. Any chance that we could just nuke this problem?

Please get back to work, Mr President

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

nikosoft posted:

Buddy, have you SEEN the property prices on the lake in Milwaukee??? This poo poo isn't even on fire! I could see myself as a Bucks fan, I like deer, and they definitely have a brighter future than the Kings.

lmao imagine living somewhere where the culinary innovation is putting a whole stick of butter on to a burger

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just want to see what a wildfire leveling glendale and burbank would do as a comparison to the subprime crash of ought-eight.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I’m freaking the gently caress out as people are evacuating TO Eugene so if we have to evacuate it’s going to be absolutely hellish. Logistically I can’t wrap my mind around it.

Just think of it as a big game of musical chairs, except you might die or lose all your worldly possessions. That's how I'm getting through it!

Mameluke posted:

Ontario, the States are tapping out already I would just call it on the lower 48

Any tips on how to actually do this, for people who don't already have Canadian citizenship?

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Sep 10, 2020

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

Come to Wisconsin and help us vote out the rest of the republicans. Cheap property, good beer, 3 good sports teams, lots of outdoors stuff to do, abundant fresh water and food.

I've been to Madison about a dozen times and it's a super cute place, although I don't know how to ice skate and I don't want to be made fun of for this!!

lmao imagine living somewhere where the culinary innovation is putting a whole stick of butter on to a burger

lol I went to Madison once to visit my coworkers (I was the only remote team member), and they wanted to take me out to Mexican food for lunch since I said it was my favorite. We went to a fuckin Qdoba, lol, they were so proud and happy to share it with me

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nikosoft posted:

lol I went to Madison once to visit my coworkers (I was the only remote team member), and they wanted to take me out to Mexican food for lunch since I said it was my favorite. We went to a fuckin Qdoba, lol, they were so proud and happy to share it with me
fuckin lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Milwaukee has had an up and coming great restaurant scene the past ten years or so.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

Milwaukee has had an up and coming great restaurant scene the past ten years or so.

Oh? They steal cheese curds and hot dish from Minnesota?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh? They steal cheese curds and hot dish from Minnesota?

Nah they stole lard and self loathing from Chicago

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

nikosoft posted:

I've been to Madison about a dozen times and it's a super cute place, although I don't know how to ice skate and I don't want to be made fun of for this!!

I lived in Madison for most of my life and there are (or were) legitimately good mexican restaurants all over so your co-workers were just dumb

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wisconsin is a somehow worse Illinois

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RC Cola posted:

I'm pretty sure that's on the interstate signs as you leave Illinois.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lol at all the west coast people moving to Boise, that place and the entrire Treasure Valley is toast in the next 20 years

nice place to visit though, eat Boise Fry

I lived there for 15 years while growing up. I never want to move back.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RC Cola posted:

Then why do you keep visiting? Shoo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm in the twin cities it's pretty cool if you can deal with the winters

milwaukee is like in the top three major cities for violent crime iirc it's p bad

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Mother FUCKERS. I just heard the loving piece of poo poo jack wagon fucker who lives somewhere behind me launch a loving firework. I live near a god drat dried out hill. If I ever catch him I will shove his mortars up his rear end.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Mother FUCKERS. I just heard the loving piece of poo poo jack wagon fucker who lives somewhere behind me launch a loving firework. I live near a god drat dried out hill. If I ever catch him I will shove his mortars up his rear end.

make sure they're stuffed up there good. don't want any rogue sparks getting out and starting a blaze

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

papersack posted:

make sure they're stuffed up there good. don't want any rogue sparks getting out and starting a blaze

Every single spark will be inside of them, I guarantee you. What are these people loving thinking?

*Bright orange sky and ash everywhere from two wildfires East and west of us*

BETTER LAUNCH A MORTER!!!

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
portland lookin kinda bad right nowwww aaaaaaaa

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Sepia tone setting in real nice right now in Portland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

smoobles posted:

I know this thread is a "glass half empty" crowd but I wanna report that the weather in DFW is going to be quite nice this week, because we're right at the intersection of the polar deathwinds and the hurricane hell vortex.

negated by the fact that you live in DFW during any sort of weather/disaster