Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Hit that poo poo with hairspray like it's Rupaul's drag race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
RE: Infamy cards. I get the activation options, there's a "game deck" for that. There's also a second set specifically called the infamy deck that I guess are game hooks or tactics or something. Are these listed in the book or only in the cards?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Springfield Fatts posted:

RE: Infamy cards. I get the activation options, there's a "game deck" for that. There's also a second set specifically called the infamy deck that I guess are game hooks or tactics or something. Are these listed in the book or only in the cards?

The infamy deck isn't in the book and it doesn't look like there's a PDF for them either.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit, I had the Victory at Sea resin boats taped to a piece of metal for several days and they were looking nice and straight until the moment I took the tape off. Two hours later all the bases are curving upwards at the ends again.

Resin, Satan's gift for mankind.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Get thee to Shapeways.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

God damnit, I had the Victory at Sea resin boats taped to a piece of metal for several days and they were looking nice and straight until the moment I took the tape off. Two hours later all the bases are curving upwards at the ends again.

Resin, Satan's gift for mankind.

Could you just glue them to a thin metal base permanently?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That might not be a bad idea. I was toying with the idea of drilling holes through the base for some very stiff metal wire I have, but I don't have a drill bit nearly that long, and even if I did I don't think I could do it perfectly horizontally :v:

mllaneza posted:

Get thee to Shapeways.

Yeah, that's definitely the way forward, but it doesn't help me with the six cruisers I got in the £50 starter set.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I dunno, there's other people on the internet not having the same level of annoyance you are with them. Warlord is a big enough company that if you yelled at them they might send you another set.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, at this point just email them. Worst case scenario is you hear nothing back.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Are the camo cloth helmets OK for regular nazis, or is it a Waffle SS thing?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah that's not a bad idea actually, their customer service has been excellent in the past, so I took pictures and contact them.

I'm not crazy, right? This isn't great for a supposedly flat base, right? Mind you, this is after five or six attempts to straighten it out, it was even worse when I pulled it out of the bag. At this point I'm afraid I'll snap a ship in two with the constant heating, bending and cooling down.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It almost looks like there is too much material in the middle of the base. I don't even know how you could do that :psyduck:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah that's not a bad idea actually, their customer service has been excellent in the past, so I took pictures and contact them.

I'm not crazy, right? This isn't great for a supposedly flat base, right? Mind you, this is after five or six attempts to straighten it out, it was even worse when I pulled it out of the bag. At this point I'm afraid I'll snap a ship in two with the constant heating, bending and cooling down.

Alternatively, the base is already flat, it just has extra resin from casting on the bottom. See that sharp horizontal edge where the mold vents/your fingernail end? That line is where the base should probably end and IMO the part under that line should be filed flat. I've seen that stuff under bases/terrain before, usually one-man casters or rejected items, bases from more established brands already come pre-filed.

Just check if the base rim's gonna be constant height after that cutting, I'm not 100% sure I;m seeing it right.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Are the camo cloth helmets OK for regular nazis, or is it a Waffle SS thing?

Cloth covers were used by both, but the cut of the cloth and the colors used were different.

The Wehrmacht used a cover made from "Splinter A" cloth. It's camouflage on one side and white (snow) on the other:

Look at:

The cut of the cloth, one central panel with two panels on each side.
The loops, the strips of cloth sewn to the helmet to hold foliage for camouflage, often sewn on diagonally. There's one per panel.
It's held on with a drawstring.

The SS used different camouflage colors and patterns. There's a whole range of patterns - "Oak," "Blurred Edge," "Plane Tree," etc. They're generally green and brown (spring) on one side (fall) and brown and dull orange on the other.

Look at:

The cut of the cloth, one central panel and one panel on each side.
The loops, often mounted in pairs.
It is held on with hooks on the sides and rear.

There are all sorts of exceptions, and these were often sloppily made.

The plastic one you have is supposed to be SS, but you could file down the loops, paint it "Splinter A," and call it Wehrmacht and on one will notice.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 10, 2020

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

Extremely cool! Did you freehand the borders between the different camo colours or come up with some other system? I want to do a bordered camo on my tanks at some point, but so far I've been using my airbrush and blu-tac to do masking, and that method isn't really suitable for doing borders like that.

I free hand all the camo on my tanks. Basically I just do the basic shapes with a bigger brush, then make sure they're solid. Wash the whole tank, then bring them back up. The black outline I do with a medium size brush! It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I was reorganizing my miniature storage and since I was taking everything out anyway, I photographed all my 15mm stuff.

I dunno exactly how much this is but it is just over a shitload and slightly less than enough.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Woah...are you playing Team Yankee with these or some other ruleset?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pierzak posted:

Alternatively, the base is already flat, it just has extra resin from casting on the bottom. See that sharp horizontal edge where the mold vents/your fingernail end? That line is where the base should probably end and IMO the part under that line should be filed flat. I've seen that stuff under bases/terrain before, usually one-man casters or rejected items, bases from more established brands already come pre-filed.

Just check if the base rim's gonna be constant height after that cutting, I'm not 100% sure I;m seeing it right.

The deck line of the ship is bent as well though, imo I'd get them replaced

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Woah...are you playing Team Yankee with these or some other ruleset?

The cold war stuff I've exclusively used for TY. That is just what gets played around here. I've mostly used the WW2 stuff for FOW, but also a few games of Battlegroup.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have 5 lbs of random 15mm Napeolonics metal coming to me for just the cost of shipping.

I think I have a problem.

(That problem is: I dunno what I'll do with 15mm Napoleonics. DBN maybe.)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I have 5 lbs of random 15mm Napeolonics metal coming to me for just the cost of shipping.

You could play Black Powder without needing a ridiculously huge table

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You could play Black Powder without needing a ridiculously huge table

That's a good idea. Also it looks like General d'Armee is written for 15mm which is neat (but still, I don't own a 6x4 table, hence whey I'm drawn to Saga, DBx, etc.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yeah it’s sure a problem deciding which other plans to cancel first to paint up some awesome nappy. :)

In addition to GdA and black powder, lasalle is also a good option. What army/armles did you get?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

The cold war stuff I've exclusively used for TY. That is just what gets played around here. I've mostly used the WW2 stuff for FOW, but also a few games of Battlegroup.

I can't agree with most of your choice of game, but I can salute your choice of armies and your painting skill.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

What army/armles did you get?

I'll know when I get it! :D The guy just said "it's 5 pounds of lead - 3 ziplock bags full" I could see infantry and horses from the pictures, but couldn't tell anything about uniforms.

But I already have my 28mm French infanterie de ligne to paint up first (after my Saga army is done). And then I have a 15mm Polybian Roman army and a 15mm Carthaginian army to paint up....

ok, maybe I do have a problem...

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Geisladisk posted:

How do you like it? I just picked it up in a wave of weird 80's jingoist nostalgia, but haven't played a game yet.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up my first German unit: Panzer III Ausf. G, early Operation Barbarossa

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

How do you like it? I just picked it up in a wave of weird 80's jingoist nostalgia, but haven't played a game yet.

Note: I haven't played for about two years. My local group cycles through FOW midwar, latewar, and TY, and we are at the tail-end of a late war cycle, and we'll be starting a TY league when Covid is over.

TY is a flawed but fun game. Some people passionately hate it, and I can certainly see why, but these flaws don't bother me all that much.

First, the flaws, to get it out of the way: TY is Flames of War but with minor modifications and different units (obviously) to make it work for the time period. This is particularly apparent in the command radius rule, which mandates that models in a unit stay within a rather small distance from their unit leader or receive harsh penalties. This is fine in FOW, but in TY the units are generally larger and the vehicles are significantly larger than their WW2 counterparts, so the rules force you to often cram your vehicles fender to fender on the table. This is particularly apparent when playing Soviets, who have huge units of mechanized infantry in very large BMP transports.

Second, it has balance issues. Main Battle Tanks are generally not worth taking, which is... not great in what is essentially a tank game. Literally every faction is chock full of things that murder tanks effortlessly, whether it be a ton of cheap ATGMs, Helicopters with even bigger ATGMs, or cluster-munitions bombing CAS. Helicopters and CAS in particular kill your super expensive M1A1 Abrams just as easily as they kill a T-55 that costs literally ten times less. Cheap tanks like Leopard Is, M60s, and T-55s are worthwhile, top of the line stuff like T-64s, M1 Abrams et al are generally not. West Germans are the notable exception, with their monstrously powerful Leopard 2s and best-in-game AA, which can keep all the things that usually murder expensive tanks at bay.

Again, I haven't played since the new version and new books came out, so hopefully this has been fixed.

Third, Battlefront has historically had weird ideas about Soviet armies, both in WW2 and WW3, and shoehorns them into the "horde of low quality units that overwhelm their enemy by sheer numbers" Zerg-archetype. This is particularly apparent when it comes to Soviets, which, despite ostensibly being the overwhelming shock assault faction (which fits their RL doctrine), are terrible at actually assaulting, and despite being the force that IRL put by far the greatest emphasis on concentrations of artillery and mortars, have literally no mortars, and have the worst artillery.

I am hopeful that this will be remedied with the new version and the new upcoming Soviet book; BF has significantly improved their representation of Soviets in their new FOW books, and I hope this carries over to TY, but time will tell.

Now, the pros (this section is significantly shorter, not because the cons outweigh the pros, but because they are easier to describe): TY is mechanically a sound game, and hits the sweet spot of having just enough complexity that it is rewarding and somewhat faithful to reality, but not so much complexity that a game takes an exorbitant amount of time to play and doesn't get bogged down in checking and referencing tables and dice roll modifiers etc. It is, simply, fun to play.

It is also, like FOW is for WW2, by far the largest name in town when it comes to WW3 games. The chances of there being an active community that plays it in your area is far, far larger than for anything else. Chances are, if you want to play WW3 games, you either have to wrangle your friends into it and paint up two armies, or, you can head to your local nerd store and see if there is a TY community anywhere, which kind of makes it win by default.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 10, 2020

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Geisladisk posted:

Note: I haven't played for about two years. My local group cycles through FOW midwar, latewar, and TY, and we are at the tail-end of a late war cycle, and we'll be starting a TY league when Covid is over.

:words:

Thank you for this! There's a pretty active community for TY here, but they're mostly hardcore Trumpites that I don't really want to engage too heavily with (and honestly, this is what we see locally in most ALL historical games). I *hear* that some of the issues people had have been somewhat cleaned up in the new edition, but who knows. Hopefully in a week or 2 I'll have stuff painted up and can report back what I think. The big thing for me so far though is that the army construction absolutely baffles me. I *think* I get it now after looking at FoW on and off for a few years, but poo poo like support teams and all that I just straight up don't understand.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up my first German unit: Panzer III Ausf. G, early Operation Barbarossa

Very nice wear and weathering!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

. I *think* I get it now after looking at FoW on and off for a few years, but poo poo like support teams and all that I just straight up don't understand.

It is exactly the same as FOW. You need at least one formation, and the black-boxed units in there are mandatory. The grey-boxed units in there are optional.

Support units are units you can take that are not part of a formation. You can take units explicitly listed as support, as well as any units that are black-boxed in any formation as an independent support team.

The Team Yankee Forces builder holds your hand through it and makes it pretty hard to get wrong, although you have to purchase each formation for a couple of dollars.

https://forces.team-yankee.com/

quote:

There's a pretty active community for TY here, but they're mostly hardcore Trumpites that I don't really want to engage too heavily with (and honestly, this is what we see locally in most ALL historical games).

e: Also I just want to give my condolences that American politics have gotten so incredibly hosed up and divisive that it's not possible to comfortably share a hobby with American conservatives at this point. Here, the historicals crowd is definitely skewed towards the middle-aged conservative side, but we can still all be friends and play with toy soldiers like adults. I hope American society starts healing soon, but I doubt it. :sigh:

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 10, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

e: Also I just want to give my condolences that American politics have gotten so incredibly hosed up and divisive that it's not possible to comfortably share a hobby with American conservatives at this point. Here, the historicals crowd is definitely skewed towards the middle-aged conservative side, but we can still all be friends and play with toy soldiers like adults. I hope American society starts healing soon, but I doubt it. :sigh:

Yeah, I have basically no hopes of playing ACW games with anyone in the next decade or so, since I've never really met another left-leaning person interested in it. And right now is... not a good time to interact with American conservatives interested in Civil War.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yeah, I have basically no hopes of playing ACW games with anyone in the next decade or so, since I've never really met another left-leaning person interested in it. And right now is... not a good time to interact with American conservatives interested in Civil War.

If you're ever in Denver send me a PM. We can flip a coin to see who has to play the losers.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
There's also TTS(Tabletop Simulator) which I've found to be really good for miniature army fighting!

Which leads me to my question ; Hordes & Heroes (Medieval), I've started playing it and I like it! I feel that there could be slightly more depth however, what would be the logical next step in (10mm) army fighting?
(I play it on TTS and use models from Medieval Total war 2)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cessna posted:

If you're ever in Denver send me a PM. We can flip a coin to see who has to play the losers.

I'm in the Philly area, but I'll keep that in mind!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Some people passionately hate it, and I can certainly see why, but these flaws don't bother me all that much.

Nice to be seen, heard, and validated

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
First vikings out for my Saga warband are Footsore's lovely shieldmaidens. I plan to field them as the special mercenary option, but could be used for warriors or heathguards as well. Banners and bases will wait until I've painted the starting warband, so I can do them in one go for better uniformity.

I especially like the standard bearer, that pose is great.

More pics and a longer entry at the blog as usual:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/dark-agesmedieval/starting-a-viking-warband-for-saga

I'm also starting an instagram for my historical miniature nerdery, please feel free to post if you are on there so I can follow you guys. :)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Geisladisk posted:

It is exactly the same as FOW. You need at least one formation, and the black-boxed units in there are mandatory. The grey-boxed units in there are optional.

Support units are units you can take that are not part of a formation. You can take units explicitly listed as support, as well as any units that are black-boxed in any formation as an independent support team.

The Team Yankee Forces builder holds your hand through it and makes it pretty hard to get wrong, although you have to purchase each formation for a couple of dollars.

https://forces.team-yankee.com/

Well, a lot of it is that a great deal of Trumpism is tribalist white nationalism masquerading as patriotism. The latter I have zero problem with, but the former tends to seep into EVERY aspect of these people's personalities. It's a bit hard to explain if you're not from the States, and especially the South.

Actual game content so I don't start a US political state derail: Ok, so for example I'm looking at the WWIII American book on FoW digital (which should be free). On pages 22-23 there's the American Force organization chart. Some of these divisions are colored in, some are grey. Am I picking from THIS chart? Like I pick one of these, let's say M1 Abrams Armored Combat Team. Then I go to page 28 to build up THAT team, right? How many of these do you have to take? Are the grey boxes "support" and I can take 1 or more of these? I get how to build up individual teams; it's just the overall force chart that's got me confused.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

More pics and a longer entry at the blog as usual:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/dark-agesmedieval/starting-a-viking-warband-for-saga

I'm also starting an instagram for my historical miniature nerdery, please feel free to post if you are on there so I can follow you guys. :)

drat, my Saga guys look dinky in comparison. Great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trip report: Warlord are replacing the bent cruiser hulls free of charge.

Warlord continue to be cool and good.