Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ingmar terdman posted:

Sure but have you seen oscar isaac

Beef: Swelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

euphronius posted:

How about the unsheathing sound when Mohiam brings out the gom jabber

wait she doesnt keep it in a scabbard

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also im glad the trailer is in the OP but i need kazoo Lynch dune and i can't find the video

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

StashAugustine posted:

also im glad the trailer is in the OP but i need kazoo Lynch dune and i can't find the video

Search for Dune Sweded, friend

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

How about the unsheathing sound when Mohiam brings out the gom jabber

I hope in the real movie the foley artists unload the full breadth of resting gun noises for it

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A trailer the likes of which even God has never seen!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My ideal Feyd is Bill Skarsgård. He's twinkish, scary, and would have a family resemblance with the Baron.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mad Hamish posted:

A trailer the likes of which even God has never seen!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

StashAugustine posted:

can you do drive through imax

with enough horsepower and steel reinforcement, any theatre can be a drive-through one

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

rydiafan posted:

My ideal Feyd is Bill Skarsgård. He's twinkish, scary, and would have a family resemblance with the Baron.

thinking about it they really missed a step not having all the skarsgards being various harkonnens

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Harris Dickinson for Feyd, although he looks like he might be booked up, with 4 unreleased films at the moment.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kiimo posted:

Ideal Feyd

....Oh yeah. That's annoying, now I can only be upset when it isn't him.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just had a friend ask about reading Dune, and whether or not they should start with the prequels. I explained things a bit and they responded, "We're so lucky we got Christopher Tolkein and not whatever Mr Dune got."
I was amazed at the clarity and rapidity of his perception. Could this be the kwisatz haderach?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Frank Dune, author of various scifi works including Stephan's Swarm, The Thosai Experiment and Dragon in the Pond.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Prank Herbert

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Dunc'd

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i miss my aquarium

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

euphronius posted:

Did anyone notice the circle in the middle of the screen motif for the whole trailer

yes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh boy I sure remember the Butlerian Crusade :allears:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I can't say I'm happy that they seem to be toning down and hiding the Islamic themes in Dune, because it goes a lot further than being a sci-fi Middle Eastern desert planet where Spice = Oil (which is also a simplistic view of the spice, because applicability doesn't have to mean allegory).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly when you make a movie you have to consider how racist Americans are

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is anyone else experiencing a persistent beefswelling and/or girdershape after viewing the trailer?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Waterfat beef the world over

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

euphronius posted:

Sadly when you make a movie you have to consider how racist Americans are

Yeah, though I think they look at it more like "alienating their audience" and using "Crusade" rather than "Jihad" probably seems much more safer to whoever it was that decided that.

Don't know if it's a factor, but I assume (what with their concentration camps for that) that having your movie have lots of Islamic themes might make it a tough sell in China.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there some official statement that the word isn't in the movie?

Even if the movie used it a thousand times, I can think of a number of reasons why the trailer might not

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Is there some official statement that the word isn't in the movie?

Even if the movie used it a thousand times, I can think of a number of reasons why the trailer might not

No. It's just conjecture from the trailer.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
It's also a bit of hyperbole because I'm pretty sure Paul himself refers to the Jihad as 'a crusade.'

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, in context it's probably fine actually. I guess I just wouldn't be very surprised by it all being kind of "generalized" because the look of the movie from that trailer seems very generic sci-fi. It has nothing on the art direction and costume design in David Lynch's Dune, which is greatly disappointing to me because I was nurturing a hope that they would take the lessons about what was good (or rather looked good) in that movie, and then make an actually good movie instead of a boring mess.

Like I know it's more like another attempt at an adaptation, but Dune is very much a case of remake being welcomed and apppropriate in IMO because the last attempt just wasn't very good. Which is different than the usual remake scenario where you take something that was popular and successful and try to just repeat it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The word crusade does exist in the book dunc

Also it’s pretty much a synonym for jihad so I mean

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Trailer reminded me that just before the Pandemic broke out, I burned all my Audible credits on all the audiobooks. I've not read the books since I was a teen, so yay!

I have so much optimism for the movie. Characters look great, aesthetics look great, what limited camera direction we saw looks great (there seems to be a real heaviness and grounded feel to the camera work, which is a nice break from the floatycam from other classic sf/f book adaptation like LotR and Hobbit). As long as the editing isn't garbage, it seems set to be a winner, and a great way to introduce newbies to the universe.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lynch Dune had inventive costumes, yes, but the Fremen were just white dudes in gimp suits

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That’s an odd way to spell Guildsmen.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I do think as well there's an element of, language is malleable and changes. To I suspect 'most' people in the west, Jihad is going to imply some level of terrorism at the least and possibly suicide bombing at the extreme end. And, you can't really say "No no, you've got the word wrong" because that IS the only context they'd have heard it used ever, and would have used it themselves, and to each other, in that context. That is what that word would mean to them. Like it or not, that means it wouldn't be telling quite the right story, where 'Crusade' would actually be slightly more accurate. Language is determined by common usage, and if the word has changed since the book existed, that's not a 're imagining' of the book.

I'm kinda playing devils advocate here, it's not like I think Jihad should have been cut, I just don't think its pandering or 'wussing out' to not use a highly charged word that will suggest an incorrect reading of the plot. Like I think if there was some old book made into a film that used 'Wench' to mean female child in the book like it's archaic meaning, or like 'hussy' to refer to a housewife, it would totally make sense not to use it in the film, because it would sound like it was saying something it wasn't. It would be weird to keep it in. I feel like it's probably more along those lines, than any kind of fear.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Lynch Dune had inventive costumes, yes, but the Fremen were just white dudes in gimp suits

Fremen were bad in Lynch Dune yeah. I don't care much for them here either, but seems a little better.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The word jihad is only ever spoken in reference to the Butlerian jihad in the original book. Actually it’s only even spoken once, by Mohiam. All the use of it to refer to Paul’s future war is in interior monologue/narration.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

The word jihad is only ever spoken in reference to the Butlerian jihad in the original book. Actually it’s only even spoken once, by Mohiam. All the use of it to refer to Paul’s future war is in interior monologue/narration.

its in the appendix too. but also as you mention in reference to the Butlerian.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 10, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

its in the appendix too.

I doubt they will film that.

Although, imo, the story of daddy Kynes could be an excellent intro to movie 2.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

but i want to be incensed about something goddammit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

I doubt they will film that.

Peter Jackson did. You never know lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

!Klams posted:

I do think as well there's an element of, language is malleable and changes. To I suspect 'most' people in the west, Jihad is going to imply some level of terrorism at the least and possibly suicide bombing at the extreme end.

I think a Fremen jihad would involve suicide bombing (Fedaykin death commandoes and all) so it communicates better in that respect.