Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Any suggestions for 700 x 32 - 35 tires? These ones are about dead anyway so recommendations don't hurt, we're all trail

GravelKing or GravelKing SS in tubeless:
https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jamal posted:

GP5k, some other nice bigger tubeless tire, or a light gravel tire depending on how much non pavement you're riding. Gravel king slicks come in 35 and 38 for example. Vittoria has a terreno zero near slick in 35 and 38 that seems neat.

Yeah this. GP5K if you only really ride road and GK slick or WTB exposure if you do a lot of grav.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
No one's suggested Rene Herse tires yet? The tubeless extralites are v nice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nm posted:

Interesting, but gonna need a decade or so before I trust them.

they use this kind of stuff on race cars to help when you need to swap components without bleeding or draining fluid systems

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spf3million posted:

No one's suggested Rene Herse tires yet? The tubeless extralites are v nice.

I don’t find them to be that long wearing, and maybe the 1200 from factory tires put me off.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BraveUlysses posted:

they use this kind of stuff on race cars to help when you need to swap components without bleeding or draining fluid systems

I'm worried more abut the coupler durability than the hydro. I only have S&S because there is literally 2 decades of no problems.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's an interesting application/test of Ti, since the tubing is thick enough to butt well edge to edge.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

nm posted:

I'm worried more abut the coupler durability than the hydro. I only have S&S because there is literally 2 decades of no problems.

I could imagine a dent from the TSA goons repacking the bike after inspection ruining your $4000+ frame

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Suicide Watch posted:

I could imagine a dent from the TSA goons repacking the bike after inspection ruining your $4000+ frame

That would happen with an SnS coupled bike frame too. I’m sure when traveling with such a bike, the owner will have beefy caps placed on the ends when packed. Also given the wall thickness at the couplers, that’s the part of the frame I’d be least worried about.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 8, 2020

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Tori, if your bikes work then upgrading them isn't going to do anything for you. If you think riding 1mph faster will make you happy then go for it but none of the upgrades matter. 105 is great, alu is great. Get some new tires and replace the chain if it's worn.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Tori, if your bikes work then upgrading them isn't going to do anything for you. If you think riding 1mph faster will make you happy then go for it but none of the upgrades matter. 105 is great, alu is great. Get some new tires and replace the chain if it's worn.

Got new chains coming, the tires are worn so I'll look at what was suggested here.

Got some new bar tape too.

Guess that'll do!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I don’t find them to be that long wearing, and maybe the 1200 from factory tires put me off.

Just as a side note though - mine last around 3k miles for on-gravel/off-gravel purposes.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Hi Bike thread - I recently bought my first road bike, a 2003 Lemond Zurich. Had to buy used because there are no new bikes available in my area at any price I'm willing to pay. I love the bike and have gone on a few rides and now I'd like to get all of the other kit that I need to go on long rides with it. What should I buy to take on long rides, and can I just buy it on Amazon/go to a local bike store and ask them to just tell me what to buy, or are there specific types/brands of stuff I should get?

Road biking is awesome and I feel dumb I wasn't doing this a decade ago.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Two spare tubes a pump tire levers a little multitool a $20 bill a full water bottle a few granola bars and a charged cell phone.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought my mtb from bikesdirect and I am realizing how much of a random parts bike this thing seems to be with the frame.

The frame seems to be a 29er, the fork is a 29er but the wheels are a 27.5. I feel like the head tube angle is kinda stuck in the past rather than the more raked out newer designs. I still love riding the dumb thing but I doubt ill ever go that route again for a bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
27.5+ wheels? Many bikes with boost spacing can switch back and forth between that and 29

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

vikingstrike posted:

27.5+ wheels? Many bikes with boost spacing can switch back and forth between that and 29

Yeah its 27.5+ but I don't think the frame is setup right for it.

Not complaining, it was a decent price for the bike for components that came with it.

Edit: Some stats on the frame

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 8, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Our climbing and distance challenge thing is over. For once I didn't go do hill repeats after work until after dark and just rode home, ate, and sat on the couch. Kind of weird. And even on the way home, now that it's over, I was wondering how I managed to keep going and stay motivated and ride every day for over two months without injuring myself or getting sick or hit by a car or eaten by bears.

I'm pretty sure July 4th to Sept 7th is 66 days, and in that time I rode 3594 miles and climbed 391674 feet. That works out to a daily average of 54.5 mi and 5934 ft. Usually I feel like 200-250 mi, 18k feet or so, and 14 hours is a solid week. Biggest one during this thing was last week, 464.8 mi, 35 hr 7 min, 50441 ft and most of them were around 30 hours and over 40k feet.

My longest ride was this one last friday. 126 mi. My goal for the day was to ride 100mi and 10k feet and that's how far it took to get all the elevation. I wanted to go get a burger at the good burger place in town but instead was riding up my street in the dark multiple times to make the garmin say the number. I did get a quick slice of pizza at least.

My 2nd longest ride, 114mi and 9k feet, was a lot more fun and one of the best rides of this thing: https://www.strava.com/activities/3880444113

Total I had 3 centuries plus a 97mi day on the hardtail mtb.

My biggest climbing day was Sunday, yeah two days after that 126 mi 10k day. Because I also wanted to do a 15k foot day before this thing was over and in my mind the best way to do that was 10 1500ft laps up my nearest trail that I ride all the time anyway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4023541684

Fastest lap was #9 and all were pretty consistently in that ballpark. The thought of a mtb everest attempt there has crossed my mind but I probably don't want to do that ever. Only started to get a little sore in the arms and back and hands on the last 1-2 so I could have kept going if I'd brought more water and snacks and had more daylight.

In total I had 7 days with over 10k feet of climbing. My general climbing goals were 7k on a day off, 4-5k on a day I worked, and a 10k day every week. Didn't quite get there. Appears I had 11 more days over 7k feet and 20 rides between 5-7k feet. Only two days with less than 2k feet. Not very many under 4k either but I did 2 rides a day and commutes and I don't feel like going through and counting all those right now.

I should probably go through my pictures and post some along with my favorite rides. Although my recent posts here and in the gravel and mtb threads should cover most of the good ones. There were quite a few days of just riding up the same couple of streets over and over or laps up some dirt road.

Overall I had fun and generally enjoyed all the riding. Even the hill repeats until dark. It appears I rode the farthest of anyone, but just barely. the guy who had the most vert (beat me by like 43k feet), was only 75mi behind me and last night i was ready to go back out there in the dark just in case i needed a few more miles.

Here's the thing again
https://www.movemt.com/

Apparently we raised a couple grand for the food bank and our shop team won the climbing challenge so we get some money for that, plus a t-shirt so basically I broke even. Minus all the money spent on food and bike parts. I probably ate like 100 katarina nash edition peanut butter banana clif bars. And a lot of pizza slices. Prob should have ordered one of those eat trash jerseys.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 9, 2020

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

jamal posted:

In total I had 7 days with over 10k feet of climbing. My general climbing goals were 7k on a day off, 4-5k on a day I worked, and a 10k day every week. Didn't quite get there. Appears I had 11 more days over 7k feet and 20 rides between 5-7k feet. Only two days with less than 2k feet. Not very many under 4k either but I did 2 rides a day and commutes and I don't feel like going through and counting all those right now.

I only slightly envy you after seeing the beautiful places you have to ride.

I need to do a challenge like this, just not the vertical aspect since .. well .. where I live in Ohio 200' is about max around here. Since I haven't been to the gym since ole Corona riding has been my primary activity.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jamal posted:

Our climbing and distance challenge thing is over.
Huge loving bravo for this. It's been fun following along on Strava!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Been trying to nail down what I am looking for in a new bike. I've been riding my GT hardtail with gravel tires but want a dedicated urban bike (wanna go faster). Suggestions appreciated.

- Traditional frame geometry
- Flat bars (?)
- 32/35mm tires. (maybe smaller?)
- 1X drivetrain or something with a handful of gears.

My riding is 95% urban. I like to ride pretty hard. Lots of being up off my saddle. Cutting through alleys, riding with traffic, curbs, etc. Sometimes get out on longer flat rides around the bay (~20-30 miles). I'd like to start pushing my range since I can get a good 15mph average on my current bike.

So far I've been looking at the BMC Alpenchallenge. Also tossing around the idea of getting a ~$500 single speed and having a go at that. :shrug:

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 9, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

Our climbing and distance challenge thing is over.

Seriously awesome accomplishment. Much respect to your follow through and dedication, and jealous of your amazing views!

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

My hams are too powerful

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

3 chainring bolts popped?

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

3 chainring bolts popped?

Prior to going riding I found a mystery bolt on the floor and thought “huh I sure hope that doesn’t belong to anything important...”. Having not ridden the bike in a couple weeks I didn’t even consider that it could belong to it.
Pulling hard across an intersection I felt a thunk and thought I had managed to make the chain jump and coasted to a stop. The torque pulling in towards the frame instead of straight back was enough to flex the ring back and rip out two more bolts :doh:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Prior to going riding I found a mystery bolt on the floor and thought “huh I sure hope that doesn’t belong to anything important...”. Having not ridden the bike in a couple weeks I didn’t even consider that it could belong to it.
Pulling hard across an intersection I felt a thunk and thought I had managed to make the chain jump and coasted to a stop. The torque pulling in towards the frame instead of straight back was enough to flex the ring back and rip out two more bolts :doh:

:rip:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Too much watts

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

I did exactly this one time, wrecked a carbon SRAM Red chainset.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nm posted:

Too much watts

I mean, technically, yes.

Just don't mention the missing bolt that weakened it :ssh:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

That's nothing. Ragtime did it to their custom crankset

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Last attempt to round up interest on the Trash Miles women's kit.
Need 5 orders; have 2.

kimbo305 posted:

Trash Miles women's jersey updates:
- yes, you can order bibs and jerseys
- cost looking around $40 for both; trying to nail down jersey-only prices
- i'm gonna do it the same way as e.pilot, where I get mailed everything in one shot from China, then mail myself, charging you for that mailing

The next step is for me to get the official quote, so I'm putting out the "here's what I plan to order" form:
https://forms.gle/De56Jm4v3oDjSz8X7
This is not final and non-committal, but I need the initial numbers to submit the quote request to Sedrick.
Those are not the final preview renders, which I'll get after quoting.

If you have multiple orders, just make multiple submissions.
I'll remind in a couple days.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I found out I'll be travelling quite a bit for work for a period in the near future. I have an Orucase Airport Ninja and I want to use a full size road bike, not a folder. My current main bike is a huge PITA the pack up since you have to remove the fork and it has hydraulic disc brakes with an internal brake line through the fork leg. Plus the front/rear dyno wiring is tricky and taking the fenders off and on isn't my idea of a great time.

So I came up with this must-have list:
- threadless stem
- drop bars
- at least 9 speed
- mechanical caliper brakes
- any frame material
- 52-54 cm size
- ~$1,500 budget

Nice to have list:
- 11 speed
- integrated shifters
- room for wide tires
- the lighter the better
- wide range gearing
- 105 or better groupset

Somewhat surprisingly there seem to be a number of options in my area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/el-sobrante-2008-trek-madone-51/7193154164.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/los-gatos-tirreno-razza-1000-road-bike/7192845519.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-trek-alpha-21-road-bike-size/7187472186.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/d/san-mateo-2013-wilier-triestina/7191996496.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-specialized-tarmac-elite-sl2/7189956314.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-specialized-allez-sport-54cm/7188012995.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/hayward-all-city-space-horse-disc/7189094547.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/campbell-2016-cannondale-synapse-disc/7181915219.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/dearing-2015-specialized-tarmac-sl4/7191411934.html

Do any of these look obviously better than another?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

sweat poteto posted:

I just did this to a Praxis Zayante pushing over a kicker, full gas, low RPM. They were kind enough to send me a more robust replacement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Guinness posted:

I mean, technically, yes.

Just don't mention the missing bolt that weakened it :ssh:
I'm sure his might watts killed that one too

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

spf3million posted:

Do any of these look obviously better than another?

The orange Tarmac is my favorite but any of the Specializeds or that Trek 2.1 probably fit the bill.

This is kind of neat https://www.theproscloset.com/products/waterford-r-33-custom-road-bike-2004-medium

Thufir fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 10, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My hams are too powerful

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Last attempt to round up interest on the Trash Miles women's kit.
Need 5 orders; have 2.

If we get to 4, you can double my order and my wife can have A/B day kits.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

:siren::siren::siren:
#TrashKit has shipped, and via DHL so it might actually
get here quickly

:siren::siren::siren:

Was this a test kit? That tracking number for DHL doesn’t register either

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've been thinking more about replacing the frame on my trail bike. I'd love to throw on a dropper but the seat post size is 27.2 and the options are near nothing (and I don't want to spend the cash adding stuff for this frame specifically), also the HTA is a little insane and really likes to throw me over the bars if I get forward at all. I know the last part is remediated by skill, that I am fine with, but I don't want to throw money into parts that won't really fit anything else.

I like the components on the bike so transferring those to another frame is fine, basically it's a boost bike with some fat tires (27.5/2.8), 175mm crank arms (NX Eagle), 120mm fork. I like hard tail frames .. anyone have some good options to keep on the lookout for? As I start looking I find frames I like but they end up not being a fit for the wide tires/fork/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which BB does it use? I assume you want to carry that over?