Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I hear what you're saying about the dark ages being a time before Charlemagne, but I still think it's not a descriptive or useful term when talking about the time period. For one it didn't originally just refer to say ~450-~750. It was a broader term I believe, that then has shrunk, or been retrofitted to different periods, after it's been found to no longer be applicable to the initial definition. Dark also requires light, which when has its own problems when viewing history through a lens of moral judgement. There's been some stuff I've read that argued for it more meaning dark as in a lack of written sources compared to other eras, but at the end of the day I feel the term has enough issues and doesn't really have a great descriptive value worth keeping it around, particularly because everyone seems to have their own definitions that can be wildly off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Dark ages is meaningless imho

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

It wasn't a one-way trip, though. We know because south American potatoes were grown by Polynesian people across the entirety of the pacific. We have DNA evidence in humans to know they traveled and traded with the Americas and we have sweet potatoes on the islands that originated in South America.

Also the people of Madagascar are Polynesian. They conquered the Indian Ocean, too. My point was Polynesian sailors had trade networks that traversed hundreds or thousands of miles of open ocean. No one else comes close to that level of nautical skill until the modern age. These weren't one and done trips.

I feel that it's a huge stretch that trade routes can be proven with something that can easily be a one and done thing; organic goods are not a good example of trade, because they can be grown locally once you get a viable sample of that particular crop (as long as it is viable in that region), so people going one way, staying for a few generations, then going back to the nearest island, with each generation spreading the specific crop further and further afield over time (It's proven that this is how most crops and domestic animals spread before the 1500s; good examples include the domestic chicken, oranges, and the like. However, material goods such as ceramics, metal ore, specific minerals, coins and etc are far better proof of trade, either directly or indirectly (For example, the people who built the Stonehenge traded for (or moved them personally) rocks (the same ones used to build the Stonehenge eventually) from as far away as France all the way over to modern England; we know this because people analysed the mineral composition of said rocks and found that they matched the profile of rocks similar to those in the south of France). At the same time, DNA found in the local population is a pretty good evidence that people visited at least once, but not proof that people could constantly come and go as they please.

The basic map from Wikipedia is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyn...wood,_2011).png

We can see that from there, it took generations upon generations of people to make those long migration waves out of their homeland to their new settlements, with a gap of 2400 years between settling New Caledonia and New Zealand. The fact that they could accomplish this is amazing given their tech base, but my argument was that they are not more advanced than the Akkadians, Sumerians and etc in the terms of scientific knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_human_migrations#/media/File:Putative_migration_waves_out_of_Africa.png
You could say that the first waves of migrations out of Africa were even more impressive, given that they went a further distance in the end than the Polynesians; that would be unfair, as it's almost certain that the Polynesians were more advanced than the humans of 100kya, plus the initial human waves took a lot longer than a few hundred years, as they were on the scale of tens of thousands of years.

As for Sargon's personal reach, we know that for sure (with archaeological proof via coins minted in his name, dated to the correct era, alongside written sources) he crossed the Mediterranean personally, and had direct trade relationships with proto-Greece, North Africa, Pakistan, and India (via the sea route through the Gulf of Aden); there's not enough evidence of direct trade between the civilizations of the fertile crescent and the tribes of Western Europe at the time, but we do know that tin exports from around modern Germany (first mined around 2500 BCE) did make its way towards the Middle East, although it would be highly unlikely that this would be direct trade.

EDIT: To the above post talking about Dark Ages being a misnomer, academics still use it specifically referring to the Bronze Age collapse, following which there was certainly an age that could be described as nothing but "Dark". The written word vanished in for a few centuries, most cities and civilizations of the time were completely destroyed (Egypt survived as a rump state compared to the one that existed before 1150 BCE, but it did survive none the less; most of our records of the time come directly from Egypt as a result; Assyria was another empire that made it through mostly intact, and we do have records from them as well). Global trade ground to a halt, and would not be resumed for centuries; even agriculture was completely wiped out in places like modern Syria, with people retreating to fortified mountain settlements of a few hundred people whereas before there were cities with tens of thousands of individuals. In modern academics, it's more common to not refer to the pre-Charlemagne era as "the Dark Ages" because while Western Europe did suffer (and I would argue that it was pretty dark for Western Europe at the time, with the loss of literacy, urban density, agricultural output and etc), technological advances did happen in the ERE, the Muslim Caliphates, India, China and the like. This was not the case during the Bronze Age collapse, where almost the whole world save for a few specific locations (we don't know too much about the Mesoamerican cultures that existed around 1150 BCE, but it's quite possible that they were also affected by the global climate shift during that era, though they wouldn't have had to deal with the double whammy of the tin supply being cut off at the same time) was essentially thrown back thousands of years back to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle for a little while.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 10, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

speaking of Charlemagne, anyone have recommendations for good history podcasts that covered him (and the period running up to him/after)? i realize i know basically nothing about the beginnings of the HRE

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

more like dork age lmfo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cetea posted:

I feel that it's a huge stretch that trade routes can be proven with something that can easily be a one and done thing; organic goods are not a good example of trade, because they can be grown locally once you get a viable sample of that particular crop (as long as it is viable in that region), so people going one way, staying for a few generations, then going back to the nearest island, with each generation spreading the specific crop further and further afield over time. However, material goods such as ceramics, metal ore, specific minerals, coins and etc are far better proof of trade, either directly or indirectly (For example, the people who built the Stonehenge traded for (or moved them personally) rocks (the same ones used to build the Stonehenge eventually) from as far away as France all the way over to modern England; we know this because people analysed the mineral composition of said rocks and found that they matched the profile of rocks similar to those in the south of France). At the same time, DNA found in the local population is a pretty good evidence that people visited at least once, but not proof that people could constantly come and go as they please.

The basic map from Wikipedia is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyn...wood,_2011).png

We can see that from there, it took generations upon generations of people to make those long migration waves out of their homeland to their new settlements, with a gap of 2400 years between settling New Caledonia and New Zealand. The fact that they could accomplish this is amazing given their tech base, but my argument was that they are not more advanced than the Akkadians, Sumerians and etc in the terms of scientific knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_human_migrations#/media/File:Putative_migration_waves_out_of_Africa.png
You could say that the first waves of migrations out of Africa were even more impressive, given that they went a further distance in the end than the Polynesians; that would be unfair, as it's almost certain that the Polynesians were more advanced than the humans of 100kya, plus the initial human waves took a lot longer than a few hundred years, as they were on the scale of tens of thousands of years.

As for Sargon's personal reach, we know that for sure (with archaeological proof via coins minted in his name, dated to the correct era, alongside written sources) he crossed the Mediterranean personally, and had direct trade relationships with proto-Greece, North Africa, Pakistan, and India (via the sea route through the Gulf of Aden); there's not enough evidence of direct trade between the civilizations of the fertile crescent and the tribes of Western Europe at the time, but we do know that tin exports from around modern Germany (first mined around 2500 BCE) did make its way towards the Middle East, although it would be highly unlikely that this would be direct trade.

EDIT: To the above post talking about Dark Ages being a misnomer, academics still use it specifically referring to the Bronze Age collapse, following which there was certainly an age that could be described as nothing but "Dark". The written word vanished in for a few centuries, most cities and civilizations of the time were completely destroyed (Egypt survived as a rump state compared to the one that existed before 1150 BCE, but it did survive none the less; most of our records of the time come directly from Egypt as a result; Assyria was another empire that made it through mostly intact, and we do have records from them as well). Global trade ground to a halt, and would not be resumed for centuries; even agriculture was completely wiped out in places like modern Syria, with people retreating to fortified mountain settlements of a few hundred people whereas before there were cities with tens of thousands of individuals. In modern academics, it's more common to not refer to the pre-Charlemagne era as "the Dark Ages" because while Western Europe did suffer (and I would argue that it was pretty dark for Western Europe at the time, with the loss of literacy, urban density, agricultural output and etc), technological advances did happen in the ERE, the Muslim Caliphates, India, China and the like. This was not the case during the Bronze Age collapse, where almost the whole world save for a few specific locations (we don't know too much about the Mesoamerican cultures that existed around 1150 BCE, but it's quite possible that they were also affected by the global climate shift during that era, though they wouldn't have had to deal with the double whammy of the tin supply being cut off at the same time) was essentially thrown back thousands of years back to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle for a little while.

It took a while to first discover the new islands, but there's no reason to assume that the exploration went one way. That's why the potato demonstrates people were traveling over massive stretches routinely. It spread all over the Pacific in a short timeframe because the Polynesians were traveling all the drat time.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

It took a while to first discover the new islands, but there's no reason to assume that the exploration went one way. That's why the potato demonstrates people were traveling over massive stretches routinely. It spread all over the Pacific in a short timeframe because the Polynesians were traveling all the drat time.

Is there a paper that details exactly how quickly the sweet potato spread as a crop? I am not familiar with that particular point. Still, for definitive proof of trade, you'd need Polynesian artifacts (such as weapons or other material goods) that can be reliably carbon dated in South America, with repeated instances of these transfers happening in a large volume over a long period of time (plenty of examples of this exists between the Akkadian Empire and the various cultures in India, Pakistan, proto-Mycenaean Greece and etc). Otherwise this would be similar to arguing that trade existed between Britain and India around 500 BCE (earliest date for chicken bones found in Britain), while the most reliable date of domestication for the chicken comes from India, around 2500 BCE. Crops like rice, wheat, millet and etc were also spread everywhere, but that does not confirm that the people from the point of origin traded with the people who gained access to the crop; it only proves that these people eventually came into contact with that specific crops after a period of time, usually through multiple generations of farmers trading goods over very short distances.

https://www.prehistoricsociety.org/files/PAST_84_for_web.pdf

EDIT: If such a pacific based trade system did exist, I would expect specific Maori based artifacts, such as moa bone jewelry, jade clubs and the like to be found in other Polynesian settlements outside of New Zealand; I am not familiar with any such examples, but if they do exist, I would love to take a look at the sources there, as it would be quite fascinating as well. The logistical difficulty transporting those goods frequently would have been immense given their technology, and I find it difficult to imagine how they would ever have benefited from it at all, given the high risks of sailing in the Pacific with canoe like boats. This same difficulty did not apply to the cultures in the fertile crescent, as you could simply sail along the coast until you reached your desired destination, which is a much easier and more practical to do.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 10, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
None of the distances in the pacific were short. The Polynesian people traded between their islands and had contact enough with the Americas that they spread potatoes around the Pacific and there is lasting DNA evidence in people from South and Central America.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a21796/ancient-polynesian-trade-routes-extended-for-thousands-of-miles/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

eke out posted:

speaking of Charlemagne, anyone have recommendations for good history podcasts that covered him (and the period running up to him/after)? i realize i know basically nothing about the beginnings of the HRE

Honestly Charlemagne feels only tangentially related to the Holy Roman Empire proper, and the state we know by that name really got started about a century later with Otto the Great, because he's the guy who really fused the title with Germany and its weird electoral tradition and forged a state that would more recognizably last past his own death. Although still there's a lot less continuity between rulers of medieval states than we expect from more modern states.

It also gets kinda blurry when you try to figure out what the foundations the states of medieval France and Germany were built on just like how the downfall of Rome was blurry as groups of Germans ran around the whole area being a cross between an integrated branch of the imperial government and bandits taking as much advantage of the institutions and wealth lying around as they could, and eventually used all of that to take over Germany east of the Rhine while the Germans that didn't muck around in Rome didn't leave much records (so far as I can tell) of what they were like beforehand or how much of their institutions or culture or whatever survived past the Franks taking over.

I wish I could recommend some sources, but honestly a whole lot of what I know comes from just reading wikipedia a bunch, and that's built on top of what I read from Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe (volume 3).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cetea posted:

Is there a paper that details exactly how quickly the sweet potato spread as a crop? I am not familiar with that particular point. Still, for definitive proof of trade, you'd need Polynesian artifacts (such as weapons or other material goods) that can be reliably carbon dated in South America, with repeated instances of these transfers happening in a large volume over a long period of time (plenty of examples of this exists between the Akkadian Empire and the various cultures in India, Pakistan, proto-Mycenaean Greece and etc). Otherwise this would be similar to arguing that trade existed between Britain and India around 500 BCE (earliest date for chicken bones found in Britain), while the most reliable date of domestication for the chicken comes from India, around 2500 BCE. Crops like rice, wheat, millet and etc were also spread everywhere, but that does not confirm that the people from the point of origin traded with the people who gained access to the crop; it only proves that these people eventually came into contact with that specific crops after a period of time, usually through multiple generations of farmers trading goods over very short distances.

https://www.prehistoricsociety.org/files/PAST_84_for_web.pdf

EDIT: If such a pacific based trade system did exist, I would expect specific Maori based artifacts, such as moa bone jewelry, jade clubs and the like to be found in other Polynesian settlements outside of New Zealand; I am not familiar with any such examples, but if they do exist, I would love to take a look at the sources there, as it would be quite fascinating as well. The logistical difficulty transporting those goods frequently would have been immense given their technology, and I find it difficult to imagine how they would ever have benefited from it at all, given the high risks of sailing in the Pacific with canoe like boats. This same difficulty did not apply to the cultures in the fertile crescent, as you could simply sail along the coast until you reached your desired destination, which is a much easier and more practical to do.

you don't really need super-extensive evidence when a plant that only exists in one place suddenly shows up in another, and the only way it could have gotten there at that time was people in boats. britain got chickens through a long set of intermediaries, and there are no intermediary peoples between south america and polynesia. just water.

nobody's asserting that there was a huge trade network, just some level of contact

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

None of the distances in the pacific were short. The Polynesian people traded between their islands and had contact enough with the Americas that they spread potatoes around the Pacific and there is lasting DNA evidence in people from South and Central America.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a21796/ancient-polynesian-trade-routes-extended-for-thousands-of-miles/

As I said in my above post, if this trans-pacific trade route existed, there would be far more than just simple DNA; we'd see New Zealand jade in Tonga or even South America (if your claims are correct). Also nowhere in your article did it state that the Polynesians fully navigated the Pacific, reached South America and returned in a single generation; it talks about trade from the Cook Islands to Marquesas, which is a far more believable distance than something like South America to the Cook Islands. The contact with the Americas is far more likely to be an extremely rare occurrence done by just a few individuals (similar to Marco Polo's expedition), and not a 'business as usual' trade route performed routinely. At any rate, my point was that the Akkadians, having a written language (and access to plentiful resources), was far more advanced scientifically than an oral based culture like the Polynesians (for example, frequent trade existed between what is now Athens and Baghdad, which is a much longer distance than the Cook Islands to Marquesas), and I believe my point stands.

Jazerus posted:

you don't really need super-extensive evidence when a plant that only exists in one place suddenly shows up in another, and the only way it could have gotten there at that time was people in boats. britain got chickens through a long set of intermediaries, and there are no intermediary peoples between south america and polynesia. just water.

nobody's asserting that there was a huge trade network, just some level of contact

I can certainly accept contact at some point, but the debate was on the specific point that the Polynesians had a stronger technological base than that of a culture with a written language (like the Akkadians), which I do not believe is the case at all. The trade route argument was employed by another poster who wanted to prove that particular point, and in my opinion, contact and trade are very different things, and require a level of sophistication that is quite different; one requires at least some form of bookkeeping, the other does not.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

eke out posted:

With the rise of Charlemagne, you technically need to go back his grandfather first, Charles Martel, who defeated the Umayyad Caliphate in the Battle of Tours. That gave his family a lot of political power, and Charlemagne needed this prestige to secure his position. At the same time, it's heavily related to the split between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and had huge ramifications in geopolitics up to the modern day; it's pretty fascinating and there's no real way you can cover all of that in a forum post. You can always read up on his Wikipedia page, but as far as I know, there's no equivalent for Charlemagne like there is for the ERE with the "History of Byzantium" podcast. IMO, both the ERE and the HRE are severely under-represented in popular culture, especially given how powerful both of them were at the time. It would be like media 1000 years later not covering the USA, Russia, Europe or China when talking about the 21st century.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 10, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think it's possible to rank the technological bases of different cultures like that and come up with a definitive "culture X was more advanced than culture Y" and it's problematic to try

I mean there's the super-simple cases where culture X has everything culture Y has, plus a few bonus inventions, or overwhelming gaps like the modern world and the ancient world, but in fuzzy cases it's best to just say "each culture had invented some things the other hadn't" and leave it at that

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think it's possible to rank the technological bases of different cultures like that and come up with a definitive "culture X was more advanced than culture Y" and it's problematic to try

I mean there's the super-simple cases where culture X has everything culture Y has, plus a few bonus inventions, or overwhelming gaps like the modern world and the ancient world, but in fuzzy cases it's best to just say "each culture had invented some things the other hadn't" and leave it at that

Fair enough, but I do feel that the difference between an oral culture and a culture with a written language is generally large enough for the difference to be pretty immense; for the original debate, I found it extremely odd that someone would think that a writing system wouldn't instantly benefit any culture that didn't have one yet.

I also like your point about overwhelming gaps; in a separate example, I don't think anyone would argue that the Romans were more advanced than the USA for instance, and yet they did have certain technologies that we don't have today, like a concrete that absorbs minerals from the surrounding environment to strengthen itself (and is superior to modern concrete for building underwater structures; they rediscovered how it was made around 2016 I believe, but it has not been produced for modern use yet). The gap between a oral based culture and one with a written language is at least as big as the difference (if not more so) between say, Italy in the 1600s and the Roman Republic in 200 BCE. Modern humans have been around for about 200k years now, and writing has only been with us for about 6000 years at best; we can clearly see the impact on technological development between the years 200,000 BCE and 4000 BCE compared to 4000 BCE up to the present day. I'd certainly be willing to bet that if humans discovered writing 100k years ago instead (and it's not impossible, as we already had all the tools needed for writing the moment we developed our modern brains), we'd all be either living in a world that is far beyond our current imagination, or we'd all be dead/living with a very primitive lifestyle from consuming all available resources without expanding into space.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 10, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I plug this book a lot but The Inheritance of Rome does a really good job how the late antique fun times with various Franks, Goths, Romans etc shook out into Carolingian and then Ottonian empires. Though there is also a lot of stuff about the ERE and the other imperial successor states which doesn’t directly bear on it, but that is still interesting in its own right.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

skasion posted:

I plug this book a lot but The Inheritance of Rome does a really good job how the late antique fun times with various Franks, Goths, Romans etc shook out into Carolingian and then Ottonian empires. Though there is also a lot of stuff about the ERE and the other imperial successor states which doesn’t directly bear on it, but that is still interesting in its own right.

That sounds like a great book, I'll take a look at it for sure! On the other side, I would say that the Inheritance of Rome is mostly to the ERE for obvious reasons, even thought I might be a little biased in that department.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I agree it's not a coincidence that human society has changed (mostly for the better) more in the last 10000 years than in the 100000 before that but I think the invention that preceded it wasn't writing, it was agriculture. Agriculture allowed people to form sedentary communities instead of nomadic ones, where tools too large to carry with you could be practical. Agriculture allowed higher population density, meaning there were just more people thinking about the problems they faced, and a higher chance of someone coming up with a clever idea to make their lives better. Agriculture produced enough surplus that it allowed a much larger portion of the population to not be actively involved with acquiring food on a daily basis, which allowed for specialist professions to a much greater degree. In fact, our earliest writings are a direct consequence of the specialist economy--in the middle east, it was merchants who had too many debts owed to remember them all, who started using mnemonic devices which eventually turned into full-on writing.

I'm not going to disagree that writing is a massive game changer but I don't think you can lay the past 6000 years worth of inventions at its feet

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I agree it's not a coincidence that human society has changed (mostly for the better) more in the last 10000 years than in the 100000 before that but I think the invention that preceded it wasn't writing, it was agriculture. Agriculture allowed people to form sedentary communities instead of nomadic ones, where tools too large to carry with you could be practical. Agriculture allowed higher population density, meaning there were just more people thinking about the problems they faced, and a higher chance of someone coming up with a clever idea to make their lives better. Agriculture produced enough surplus that it allowed a much larger portion of the population to not be actively involved with acquiring food on a daily basis, which allowed for specialist professions to a much greater degree. In fact, our earliest writings are a direct consequence of the specialist economy--in the middle east, it was merchants who had too many debts owed to remember them all, who started using mnemonic devices which eventually turned into full-on writing.

I'm not going to disagree that writing is a massive game changer but I don't think you can lay the past 6000 years worth of inventions at its feet

In academic circles, it's pretty common for people to say that writing is the biggest game changer of all history (though if you asked computer scientists, they'll likely say that it's the transistor instead, and they may well be right in the long run), more than the wheel, agriculture, or any other invention that people commonly associate with civilization. Plenty of cultures had agriculture, but usually only the ones with a written language developed large societies capable of leveraging an exponentially greater labour force compared to previous societies. These societies would then form complex customs, militaries and etc, and from there on there's plenty of environmental pressure to become 'better' (usually militarily, but often economically as well) than your neighbours. Of course, it is a good argument to say that writing would not have appeared without agriculture, but certainly we do know that there are groups of people who did adopt agriculture, but never actually got to the point where they had a written language (and later got out-competed by a culture with a written language).

I would also argue against agriculture allowing a larger percentage of the population to not be involved with food production; in pre-industrial times, practically everyone was engaged in some form of food production, with a tiny amount of individuals at the mid and top levels of society who could just tax these individuals and do something else instead. In fact, I believe studies showed that pre-agrarian cultures often had far more free time to engage with the arts and other things of that nature (hunting one mammoth could feed an entire tribe for a month, and you can just do whatever during that month instead); I can try to find that one for you if you want.

One of the best examples would be the Mongols; before they were unified under Genghis, they were just nomadic hunter-gatherer tribes (granted, they did have domestic animals like horses, but their lifestyle was certainly not related to farming at all, and I don't think anyone would describe them as an agrarian society) fighting over the steppes; once Genghis unified them, assimilated the older tribal identities and created a written language (in 1204, back when he was still Temujin and not Genghis yet), they became a force of nature that just out-competed everyone around them. Their empire could not have existed at all without their famous postal system, and the fact that they could govern such a vast empire for any length of time without access to modern tech is pretty incredible. In their early days, they didn't need agriculture to sustain themselves, but the written word certainly helped them coordinate their foreign policy, trade routes and campaigns against their enemies.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 10, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm really sorry for posting about posting but I've been reading and commenting in this thread for over 8 years and the second I saw how many new posts there were, I knew in my heart some wackjob was spouting off about their pet theory.

Cetea, you stand in the footsteps of Kings :agesilaus:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In 21st century culture, we have a visor called the green eyeshade.

It's associated with accountants and poker dealers, people who have to do fine work under bright lights. The green filter it imparts helps protect against eyestrain. It's a relatively new thing, having been invented in the 19th century.

Except it's not!

Pliny the Elder commented on how pleasing emeralds were to look at and look through. He also said that Nero watched gladiatorial games either through an emerald or in the reflection of an emerald, presumably to avert eyestrain. It's up to us to imagine how this actually worked in practice. Giant cut emerald sunglasses?? A big round flat emerald angled towards the sand that he could peer at??

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean there's the super-simple cases where culture X has everything culture Y has, plus a few bonus inventions

I mean I think this is basically your point, but I'm honestly not sure there are. On the face of it, for instance, I would say East Asia is about as open and shut a case of different levels of advancement as there is--China was markedly ahead of Korea and Japan for most of their histories, and if you see a premodern East Asian invention chances are very good China had it first. But that definitely doesn't mean they had everything Korea and Japan had; architectural and clothing adaptations to match their climate and lifestyle, local peculiarities to imported court customs to fit cultural differences; things that the "more advanced" culture didn't fill, because their situations were very different. It's not as simple as "__ was in China first" -- if that innovation is inapplicable to the Korean or Japanese context, is it really more advanced?

e:: On reading that again the way I articulated my point seems a bit tortured but I hope it comes across. For a clearer cut example, the Chinese had a vastly more elaborate material culture than the steppe tribes to the north, but latter's situation would never permit that kind of culture in a way that's workable in their environment -- the local traditions were far better developed for their way of life, and so, you could argue, just as advanced?

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm really sorry for posting about posting but I've been reading and commenting in this thread for over 8 years and the second I saw how many new posts there were, I knew in my heart some wackjob was spouting off about their pet theory.

Cetea, you stand in the footsteps of Kings :agesilaus:

If you're talking about the concept that using a different language to communicate can change your personality and worldview, it's pretty well researched at this point (arguably people do say that it could also depend heavily on the environment where you're speaking, but certainly the etymology of words do change how people perceive them):

https://academic.oup.com/jcr/article-abstract/35/2/279/1806130?redirectedFrom=fulltext (paywall)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/nz/blog/life-bilingual/201111/change-language-change-personality (non paywall).

I also feel that it's pretty relevant to the thread; during the heyday of Roman Empire, you'd definitely run into people with two different identities; one local, the other Roman. Josephus would be a great example, Arrian another. In fact, most of the citizens of the Roman Empire by the later point would certainly have two identities, given that citizenship was slowly granted to more and more people outside of Italia. Eventually the imperial identity did supplant the local identity entirely in places like Syria, Greece and etc. Today, a Greek might address their peers as "fellow Romans", which now has the meaning of "fellow citizen", even if at this point they identify more with their pre-Roman counterparts again. Certainly, the term "Roman" was not an ethnic identity by the time of the late Empire (and arguably had not been since the Romans granted citizenship to the various other Italian cities following the Social War), and more of a cultural identity and membership as a citizen of the Empire.

If you're talking about the debate that arose through people arguing around languages, and oral only languages vs languages with a writing system (which usually does seem to always stir up intense feelings for one reason or another), that's just a tangent of the original point.

Koramei posted:

I mean I think this is basically your point, but I'm honestly not sure there are. On the face of it, for instance, I would say East Asia is about as open and shut a case of different levels of advancement as there is--China was markedly ahead of Korea and Japan for most of their histories, and if you see a premodern East Asian invention chances are very good China had it first. But that definitely doesn't mean they had everything Korea and Japan had; architectural and clothing adaptations to match their climate and lifestyle, local peculiarities to imported court customs to fit cultural differences; things that the "more advanced" culture didn't fill, because their situations were very different. It's not as simple as "__ was in China first" -- if that innovation is inapplicable to the Korean or Japanese context, is it really more advanced?

e:: On reading that again the way I articulated my point seems a bit tortured but I hope it comes across. For a clearer cut example, the Chinese had a vastly more elaborate material culture than the steppe tribes to the north, but latter's situation would never permit that kind of culture in a way that's workable in their environment -- the local traditions were far better developed for their way of life, and so, you could argue, just as advanced?

I understand fully what you're getting at and I agree with you for the most part; there are just some inventions that are measurably superior and useful in every culture, no matter the background. Things like metallurgy, the written word, blades, computers and etc. Usually if any group of people comes into contact with a technology they know is useful to them, they will fully adopt it immediately; this is why I thought it was odd that people used the Polynesians as an example of an oral culture that was superior to a culture with a written language; the Polynesians themselves adopted writing quite quickly when they came into contact with it, recognizing the benefit it would bring to them (The Maori for example, quickly wrote down all their myths and legends the moment they gained access to the technology). As an additional example of a people recognizing the innate usefulness of something new and different, the Maori tribes in NZ had a very keen understanding of how gunpowder weaponry could revolutionize military engagements (and they were good enough at employing these new technologies alongside some basic military tactics to become the only native people to ever have defeated a European army in battle while being outnumbered, as far as I know).

As for the steppe tribes, one of the things I admired most about them was their level of adaptability; after Genghis reformed their society, they quickly adopted most of the customs and technologies of the civilizations around them that would be useful to their conquests and future governance of the land. The Japanese were also very similar in that regard, as were the Romans as well. Of course, one could say that adaptability comes from geographic imperatives and learned cultural habits; usually cultures that knew they weren't the greatest power in the land were also the most adaptable, whereas long established super powers with no real threats become stagnant (China in particular falls into the latter trap many times throughout history).

Cetea fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 10, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cetea posted:

If you're talking about the concept that using a different language to communicate can change your personality and worldview, it's pretty well researched at this point (arguably people do say that it could also depend heavily on the environment where you're speaking, but certainly the etymology of words do change how people perceive them):

https://academic.oup.com/jcr/article-abstract/35/2/279/1806130?redirectedFrom=fulltext (paywall)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/nz/blog/life-bilingual/201111/change-language-change-personality (non paywall).

I also feel that it's pretty relevant to the thread; during the heyday of Roman Empire, you'd definitely run into people with two different identities; one local, the other Roman. Josephus would be a great example, Arrian another. In fact, most of the citizens of the Roman Empire by the later point would certainly have two identities, given that citizenship was slowly granted to more and more people outside of Italia. Eventually the imperial identity did supplant the local identity entirely in places like Syria, Greece and etc. Today, a Greek might address their peers as "fellow Romans", which now has the meaning of "fellow citizen", even if at this point they identify more with their pre-Roman counterparts again. Certainly, the term "Roman" was not an ethnic identity by the time of the late Empire (and arguably had not been since the Romans granted citizenship to the various other Italian cities following the Social War), and more of a cultural identity and membership as a citizen of the Empire.

If you're talking about the debate that arose through people arguing around languages, and oral only languages vs languages with a writing system (which usually does seem to always stir up intense feelings for one reason or another), that's just a tangent of the original point.

I understand fully what you're getting at and I agree with you for the most part; there are just some inventions that are measurably superior and useful in every culture, no matter the background. Things like metallurgy, the written word, blades, computers and etc. Usually if any group of people comes into contact with a technology they know is useful to them, they will fully adopt it immediately; this is why I thought it was odd that people used the Polynesians as an example of an oral culture that was superior to a culture with a written language; the Polynesians themselves adopted writing quite quickly when they came into contact with it, recognizing the benefit it would bring to them (The Maori for example, quickly wrote down all their myths and legends the moment they gained access to the technology). As an additional example of a people recognizing the innate usefulness of something new and different, the Maori tribes in NZ had a very keen understanding of how gunpowder weaponry could revolutionize military engagements (and they were good enough at employing these new technologies alongside some basic military tactics to become the only native people to ever have defeated a European army in battle while being outnumbered, as far as I know).

As for the steppe tribes, one of the things I admired most about them was their level of adaptability; after Genghis reformed their society, they quickly adopted most of the customs and technologies of the civilizations around them that would be useful to their conquests and future governance of the land. The Japanese were also very similar in that regard, as were the Romans as well. Of course, one could say that adaptability comes from geographic imperatives and learned cultural habits; usually cultures that knew they weren't the greatest power in the land were also the most adaptable, whereas long established super powers with no real threats become stagnant (China in particular falls into the latter trap many times throughout history).

Okay here I want to speak to you clearly:

You are a crazy person. You need to understand that no crazy person thinks they're crazy. All of them think they are right and correct in what they say and do. You're in that category, firmly.

Your ideas about civilization are complex and ever changing but at the core you sem to believe that discrete societal changes lead to a society that "moves forward". Whether those changes are writing or who knows what. You've got a classic internet person poisoned by different historical games perspective, where you believe civilizations inexorably advance from a low point to a higher point. The reality is more complicated.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Okay here I want to speak to you clearly:

You are a crazy person. You need to understand that no crazy person thinks they're crazy. All of them think they are right and correct in what they say and do. You're in that category, firmly.

Your ideas about civilization are complex and ever changing but at the core you sem to believe that discrete societal changes lead to a society that "moves forward". Whether those changes are writing or who knows what. You've got a classic internet person poisoned by different historical games perspective, where you believe civilizations inexorably advance from a low point to a higher point. The reality is more complicated.

You misunderstand me completely. I certainly don't believe that people will inexorably advance towards a higher point; all animals do consume more and more as they expand, but most eventually reach a limit in their environment and cause their own decline. There is no reason to believe that humanity will not hit the same limits. However, the reality that life does expand to fill all available niches is an established fact, and scientists can easily measure this advancement via the energy they consume. Humanity is unique (at least as far as we know) for being a species that has a chance to expand further than any other recorded species (especially if we can utilize the resources in our solar system), and we can also accurately track past cultures based on how much energy they consumed (Greenland's ice cores for example, had lead pollution in them, and we used them to track Roman economic development throughout that time period). The problem with modern discourse is that political correctness stands in the way of anthropology (and thus our ability to adapt ideas from different cultures, integrate it into our own and therefore improve it as a whole); it would be very hard to argue that the 21th century USA is less advanced than the 20th century USA (by all available metrics it is more advanced), but people get uncomfortable if you say that Ancient Egypt was more advanced than Shang Dynasty China (which it certainly was in terms of population, scale of infrastructure, energy consumption and etc), or Celtic tribesmen.

Think of it this way, would you rather live as a Celtic tribesman around 1300 BCE, or an Ancient Egyptian (both as a lower class individual). There is an objective reality to this question; this is not to say that Ancient Egypt could learn nothing from the Celts (the Gallic tribes had already found a way to ferment some pretty high quality wine early on, and it's likely that it would have easily competed with any Egyptian product), but overall, Ancient Egypt was a better place to live in terms of civil rights, individual safety, food security and the like.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 10, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
How can the Roman Empire have fell if Rome still exists?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dalael posted:

How can the Roman Empire have fell if Rome still exists?

Things keep existing after falling and losing their relevance all the drat time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Things keep existing after falling and losing their relevance all the drat time.

I wouldn't quite say it lost relevance. The USA's Founding Fathers read a ton of Cicero and based many of their ideas off his. Same with the Napoleonic Code which was based off Justinian's Corpus Juris Civilis; that serves as the foundational glue that holds the core of the EU together. Much in the same way how the Assyrian Empire fell, but their legacy lived on in the cultures that followed it (which eventually included the Romans). Honestly, it would probably be more valuable to learn about Roman history than Columbus if you wanted a slightly better understanding of US civics (of course you could just read the civic books directly, but history is generally more entertaining IMO).

Cetea fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 10, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The founding fathers did read about Roman history. They had giant plantations with slave labor. What else do they need to know?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cetea posted:

in traditional Chinese society, the merchant class was considered the lowest of the low.

Wisdom of the ancients

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dark Ages ended in 1802 with the invention of electric lights.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

The founding fathers did read about Roman history. They had giant plantations with slave labor. What else do they need to know?

Oh nothing much, just the separation of powers, checks and balances and etc. And everyone had massive amounts of slave labour in the 1700s; it was industrialization that gave people the economic push to free slaves.

On that note, it's very interesting to me how the ancient Germanic tribes (that I know of) were the only society during that time that was anti slavery; does anyone know of any studies that examined why this was the case? Everyone else thought it was just natural.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s all lip service stuff you mentioned.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The intellectual histoty of the American revolution really ties back to 1650s England and the ECW than it does the classics (not that classics weren't also read)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

wonderful

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cetea posted:

The problem with modern discourse is that political correctness stands in the way of anthropology (and thus our ability to adapt ideas from different cultures, integrate it into our own and therefore improve it as a whole)

This really is such a drat shame.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The intellectual histoty of the American revolution really ties back to 1650s England and the ECW than it does the classics (not that classics weren't also read)

Economically I would certainly agree with you, particularly when it comes to the works of Adam Smith. The concept of "Rights" as it stands in the declaration comes from John Locke, but as for the structure of the constitution, that was heavily based off the unwritten Roman constitution, and heavily influenced by Cicero. Legally, the US was closer to English Common law (which also has a great deal of influence from Roman law). As for Europe, one of the reasons why the EU could be founded in the first place was because all the places that Napoleon once conquered had already adopted the Napoleonic code, and thus they had a common legal system to build on; that code is styled directly after that of Justinian's. Every culture builds on the ones preceding it (for the Aztecs, this isn't even metaphorical), it's just that Rome has a very large footprint over a large part of the world, compared to say the Vandals, who didn't leave much of their legacy behind.

As for the above post saying separation of powers is lip service, well in places without that, some elected President just acts permanently like the elected Dictators of Rome, bulldozing whatever legislation they don't like whenever they want (and in certain places, legislating Jesus as King). So I for one am pretty happy that the founding fathers read Cicero.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 10, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cetea posted:

Economically I would certainly agree with you, particularly when it comes to the works of Adam Smith. The concept of "Rights" as it stands in the declaration comes from John Locke, but as for the structure of the constitution, that was heavily based off the unwritten Roman constitution, and heavily influenced by Cicero.

No? The US governmental setup right now is pretty much a copy and paste of 18th century England. Congress == the Commons, the Senate == the Lords (note: not originally directly elected), the President == the King as of the late 18th century, so rather more powers than the Queen has in the UK today.

Also, saying the reason the EU could be founded was the Roman legal system is...a take. Reminder that Ireland and until recently the UK were members, btw...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly Charlemagne feels only tangentially related to the Holy Roman Empire proper, and the state we know by that name really got started about a century later with Otto the Great, because he's the guy who really fused the title with Germany and its weird electoral tradition and forged a state that would more recognizably last past his own death. Although still there's a lot less continuity between rulers of medieval states than we expect from more modern states.

It also gets kinda blurry when you try to figure out what the foundations the states of medieval France and Germany were built on just like how the downfall of Rome was blurry as groups of Germans ran around the whole area being a cross between an integrated branch of the imperial government and bandits taking as much advantage of the institutions and wealth lying around as they could, and eventually used all of that to take over Germany east of the Rhine while the Germans that didn't muck around in Rome didn't leave much records (so far as I can tell) of what they were like beforehand or how much of their institutions or culture or whatever survived past the Franks taking over.

I wish I could recommend some sources, but honestly a whole lot of what I know comes from just reading wikipedia a bunch, and that's built on top of what I read from Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe (volume 3).

Check out Geary's Before France and Germany: The creation and transformation of the Merovingian world. It's solid, albeit a bit dense at times. The introduction and first chapter remain one of the best descriptions of the interactions between Germanic tribes and late Imperial Rome that I've found, and the rest of it is really good too for understanding wtf was in the middle.