Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

breaking news: man finds good use for corona

https://twitter.com/IdleChadder/status/1303839890459652096?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Any tips on how to actually do this, for people who don't already have Canadian citizenship?

That is a great question! I'm not a lawyer and don't really have any personal experience with immigration here, but I can point you in some directions. There are many ways to come to Canada; this article looks like a decent summary. In short; marry a Canadian, or have at least half a mil CAD, or complete a degree then find work here, or pass a points test that privileges educated young adults with specific skillsets.

Many people have also chosen to immigrate illegally. Roxham Road, about an hour south of Montreal, is one of the most famous illegal entrypoints to Canada, though of course it's received lots of media attention. Most of Ontario and Quebec's border is water, farmland or forest (for example, there are 3 bridges from Northern Ontario to the US) and road crossings either terminate in cul-de-sacs or have border posts. One interesting example is Mohawk Nation at Akwesasne, outside Cornwall, which straddles the St. Lawrence and includes Ontario, Quebec, and New York. For asylum seekers, Canada has a Safe Third Country Agreement with the States, which is currently being struck down by the courts (but I don't think it's actually done).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SKULL.GIF posted:

Then why do you keep visiting? Shoo.

I moved to Denver because I crave climate death

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

figures all the wet side oregon forests are burning down right when i get to move back in 3 weeks :(

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

https://twitter.com/vsgoliath/status/1303737707567349760

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
what combination of firing neurons causes people to do this

https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/1303885398079229952?s=21

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

get out the unmarked vans, antifa is making smores

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grundulum posted:

California is 42 million hectares, according to Google. Not all of that is burning regularly (presumably the high mountains and the desert don’t participate in the craziness). Which means that what’s left would need to burn even more often to rack up 1.8 million hectares per year. What kind of forest can you sustain when a fire sweeps through every 15-20 years? Are the fires less intense, so they do less damage to the plant life? Presumably they’re still just as antithetical to humans, so how did native Californians deal with the issue of giant fires once or twice per generation?

Yes, lots of trees in california are decently well adapted for mild fires, but in addition to built up growth, much of the california wild grasses that we see everywhere are invasive species and add significantly to the flammability of everything

EDIT: There were a lot more posts than I thought, people have covered this

The Glumslinger has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Sep 10, 2020

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mameluke posted:

That is a great question! I'm not a lawyer and don't really have any personal experience with immigration here, but I can point you in some directions. There are many ways to come to Canada; this article looks like a decent summary. In short; marry a Canadian, or have at least half a mil CAD, or complete a degree then find work here, or pass a points test that privileges educated young adults with specific skillsets.

Many people have also chosen to immigrate illegally. Roxham Road, about an hour south of Montreal, is one of the most famous illegal entrypoints to Canada, though of course it's received lots of media attention. Most of Ontario and Quebec's border is water, farmland or forest (for example, there are 3 bridges from Northern Ontario to the US) and road crossings either terminate in cul-de-sacs or have border posts. One interesting example is Mohawk Nation at Akwesasne, outside Cornwall, which straddles the St. Lawrence and includes Ontario, Quebec, and New York. For asylum seekers, Canada has a Safe Third Country Agreement with the States, which is currently being struck down by the courts (but I don't think it's actually done).

This is a fantastic post, thanks! You've given me a lot to think about.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ratbert90 posted:

I lived there for 15 years while growing up. I never want to move back.

the entire treasure valley is a worse nightmare now, endless suburbs and god help you if you don't have a car

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

the entire treasure valley is a worse nightmare now, endless suburbs and god help you if you don't have a car

Yeah, I visited a few months ago when my grandmother had a staff infection and we weren’t sure if she would make it. Ada county is just a bunch of “luxury” apartments that nobody can afford. 2C drivers still suck though. :smug:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:hai: 1L is the only good one

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nikosoft posted:

What's the best Great Lakes state to move to in order to escape this hellworld? I see on zillow I can get waterfront property in Cleveland for 35k or thereabouts. I've seen every episode of Property Bros so, you know, I think I can handle a little renovation challenge

Duluth

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nikosoft posted:

What's the best Great Lakes state to move to in order to escape this hellworld? I see on zillow I can get waterfront property in Cleveland for 35k or thereabouts. I've seen every episode of Property Bros so, you know, I think I can handle a little renovation challenge

Serious answer: There are no “good” Great Lake States. However, if I was forced to choose any of them I would choose western Michigan. The house prices are cheap, crime is low, air is good, you are close to Chicago and Detroit, and Grand Rapids is pgood.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Serious answer: There are no “good” Great Lake States.

look at this terrible post

yeah if you are super into outdoors stuff and can deal with the shitload of snow (more than here in the twin cities def.) this is a good option

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/xeSaPgf.gifv
:piss:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

look at this terrible post

yeah if you are super into outdoors stuff and can deal with the shitload of snow (more than here in the twin cities def.) this is a good option

I mean cultural life is dead anywhere thanks to covid, might as well pick somewhere way the gently caress out there

The North Woods are really nice too

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's the buildings on fire more than the trees there. Some vegetation is burnt, but the majority looks untouched by flames.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

best scene from godard's "weekend".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1303715369492897806

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there would be any appetite for a climate migration thread. I would really love to one, hear other, more qualified people's advice; and two, help more chill c-spam goons to help the great white north stay cool. Certainly people outside this thread might call the idea histrionic, but let's be realistic. poo poo's happening in our lifetime and we might as well move before everyone does.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
doomsday property speculation & investment thread baby. lets start a mutual fund

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Please buy some land together and set up a commune, I would cheer that poo poo on!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mameluke posted:

I wonder if there would be any appetite for a climate migration thread. I would really love to one, hear other, more qualified people's advice; and two, help more chill c-spam goons to help the great white north stay cool. Certainly people outside this thread might call the idea histrionic, but let's be realistic. poo poo's happening in our lifetime and we might as well move before everyone does.

I decided to leave the coast to head back to Pittsburgh for a reason

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Helith posted:

Please buy some land together and set up a commune, I would cheer that poo poo on!

isn't this already a goon project.txt

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

I know everything is on fire but I just heard Utah essentially apparently had a cat 3 hurricane yesterday lmao

https://twitter.com/cooperscharms/status/1303386733950558208?s=21

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

isn't this already a goon project.txt

Yeah, in Hawaii I think it was.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
lol that i might die in a literal fire

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm desperate to find someone who would be prepared to invest in some lovely degraded desert land in australia, i know how to fix it and make it viable long-term but have zero dollars

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

fauna posted:

i'm desperate to find someone who would be prepared to invest in some lovely degraded desert land in australia, i know how to fix it and make it viable long-term but have zero dollars

Using Peter Andrews methods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4OBcRHX1Bc

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my idea to fix the australian desert would be to add some saguaros but i'm interested in reading alternative proposals

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Mameluke posted:

its a nice crisp 40 degrees here in Minnesota

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

euphemism posted:

lol that i might die in a literal fire

lucky ducky

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rorobb posted:

I know everything is on fire but I just heard Utah essentially apparently had a cat 3 hurricane yesterday lmao

https://twitter.com/cooperscharms/status/1303386733950558208?s=21

That cold front was a real bitch

https://mobile.twitter.com/UTHighwa...ttering-capitol

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
I would also be in favor of a climate migration thread

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zeno-25 posted:

I mean cultural life is dead anywhere thanks to covid, might as well pick somewhere way the gently caress out there

The North Woods are really nice too

I've only been there a few times but Duluth is a college town so there's probably at least some cultural stuff, though the twin cities is way better in that regard of course

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm the little forklift on fire at the end

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i think im just gonna head to upstate new york if i live through this trash. whatever. gently caress this poo poo

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://features.weather.com/collateral/welcome-to-duluth/

quote:

Close your eyes. Imagine America 2100 2040. The seas are 6 feet higher than today, maybe 9. Much of Miami Beach, New Orleans and Houston is under water. Thirteen million Americans are migrating across the country, either fleeing weather calamities or voluntarily realizing there are better fortunes elsewhere.

One professor at Harvard has a somewhat outlandish idea. Jesse Keenan believes your new home might be in a small Rust Belt town on the banks of Lake Superior with brutally cold winters, stunningly beautiful hills and a small but growing population of urban hipsters who brew their own beer, butcher their own meat and knit their own sweaters. In a bit of marketing bravado not typically found in Ivy League academics, Keenan has christened this place the “Most Climate Proof City in America.” Otherwise known as Duluth, Minnesota.

“It’s changing,” says Keenan. “The trees are changing. The poplars are dying off. There’s a radical shift in forest health or tree dendrology, species selection. I mean, things are in flux there. And there’s no doubt the environment is changing. And it’s going to be warmer and wetter in the future. But as a relative proposition it will be a comparatively moderate climate in the future.”

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The weather here can only get better!