Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Looking for Japanese tour guide companies such as this one - https://www.hankyu-travel.com/

Anyone have any other recommendations?

JTB and HIS are the two biggest domestically in Japan. Where are you coming from and where are you trying to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Not trying to shame or anything, asking sincerely: why do you want to use a travel company?

(Just pretend this year didn't happen...) Japan's tourism industry has been booming, especially with the Olympics. Infrastructure and preparedness for foreign tourists has never been higher and with Japan's love of rules and procedures, it actually makes it a lot easier to make plans.

I think if you have some niche circumstances then a tour company is exactly the right way to go. But barring that, I think there's a lot of resources out there that can help you plan a nice trip to Japan that will suit your circumstances (interests, budgets, etc.) like here or /r/japantravel. I even made a huge post there about how to plan a trip to the boonies of Japan last year.

If you want to give your own trip planning a shot, I think it can improve your trip quality and I (and I'm sure we) would be glad to help.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Trip planning is also legit pretty fun. Maybe I have a broken brain.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

you do

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

[job spam]
Shikokuchuo BoE is immediately looking to hire two direct-hire ALTs. Evenings and weekends off; they will help you buy a car if you don’t have one. Contact: hiromi_i@city.shikokuchuo.ehime.jp

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
* Americans need not apply

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

can i come in from china lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

maybe

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

do they still only only take "native speakers" for ALT jobs?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not necessarily... English schooling is a visa requirement. And Quebecois with horrible English are still qualified because they're Canadian. If you have a spouse visa you can do whatever the hell you want.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I kind of like it too. It's a little like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

peanut posted:

[job spam]
Shikokuchuo BoE is immediately looking to hire two direct-hire ALTs. Evenings and weekends off; they will help you buy a car if you don’t have one. Contact: hiromi_i@city.shikokuchuo.ehime.jp

Real and very serious questions:
What are the local specialty ingredients / dishes in the area? Who (or what) are the local yuru kyara mascots? How do you remark on hot and cold weather in the local dialect?

But seriously I hope it works out for the BoE. It's a tough year for schools and English-teaching hopefuls with JET departure postponed indefinitely (and until next year if a departure date isn't locked down by the end of the month). It's hard to fault the border restrictions for new teachers considering the infection counts in some teacher-providing countries. It's good to hear that at least a pathway for international students to enter the country safely and quarantine is being implemented.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
they've got extra crispy fried chicken and an orange cat

that's all i remember at least

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Trip planning is all I have now that I can't do the actual travel part :(

But I love trip planning. Every time I got back from Japan I always started planning again within a month.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.
2 - do whatever you want on whatever day until it's time to leave
3 - don't miss flight home.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.

:hmmyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

something i found out the other day by calling the japanese embassy: if you are married to a japanese person, you can still probably get into japan (although you need to request a visa in advance). i was under the impression that the only foreigners who could get in were those who already had residence status and want to re enter, but apparently if youre married but not living there right now, you can still get in on a visitor basis, might be useful to know for someone. i dunno if this is true for americans or other countries where the virus is out of control though

i'll probably try to go back around christmas

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now we need someone to set up a marriage hotline. You don't even have to meet, just get married over the internet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What if I just SAY I'm married to a Japanese person?

I REALLY want that Family Mart junk food.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Mongoose posted:

What are the local specialty ingredients / dishes in the area? Who (or what) are the local yuru kyara mascots? How do you remark on hot and cold weather in the local dialect?

But seriously I hope it works out for the BoE. It's a tough year for schools and English-teaching hopefuls with JET departure postponed indefinitely (and until next year if a departure date isn't locked down by the end of the month). It's hard to fault the border restrictions for new teachers considering the infection counts in some teacher-providing countries. It's good to hear that at least a pathway for international students to enter the country safely and quarantine is being implemented.

I thought it was impossible to get in if you're not a citizen, permanent resident or spouse?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mongoose posted:

Oranges and red snapper. Shikokuchuo City has at least 2 Italy-trained authentic pizzerias and 2 Indian restaurants. The local mascot Shikochu is minor but harmless. Weather is like North Carolina x___x But this area is well protected from tsunamis, floods, blizzards, and volcanoes. Earthquakes are rare, and rent is cheap.

PS. Shikokuchuo City still has ZERO coronavirus cases. You can be the first!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.

Best way to roll tbh. The only thing I actively plan for when going over there is buying tickets for the Takarazuka show thats playing, cause those things sell out months in advance..

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 11, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.

lol at step 3 just don't go home bro

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Every time I go it is harder and harder to leave. We'll see what happens next time I go. If Japan ever lets filthy Americans back, of course.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also don’t go to China. Fail.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

uguu posted:

I thought it was impossible to get in if you're not a citizen, permanent resident or spouse?

Rules changed from September 1. Residence visas are now able to get in, and it seems like the process is more straightforward if you do leave and try to return.

still not allowing tourists to my understanding, think there's discussions with other regional countries that have their poo poo together (Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia (?)).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't make day by day itineraries but I do have to plan the trip in advance a little to book accomodations in such and such city for such a length of time.

Which I still believe gives me superiority over r/japantravel down to the second itineraries :smug:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

PS. Shikokuchuo City still has ZERO coronavirus cases. You can be the first!

The Goon Who Brought Death sounds like a future literary Nobel Prize winner.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Martytoof posted:

I don't make day by day itineraries but I do have to plan the trip in advance a little to book accomodations in such and such city for such a length of time.

Which I still believe gives me superiority over r/japantravel down to the second itineraries :smug:

Those are pretty awful when they're just in Tokyo or Kyoto but when you get out into the inaka, sometimes you really need to plan carefully so you don't miss the one limited express train you can catch that will get you to your destination at a reasonable time, or a bus that only comes around once an hour or two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I loved that one where the guy was planning his entire trip in five minute increments.

I plan as far as booking rooms where I want to go, and I usually look up a bunch of things to do in each location. I may do all, some, or none of that list but it's nice to have it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Those are pretty awful when they're just in Tokyo or Kyoto but when you get out into the inaka, sometimes you really need to plan carefully so you don't miss the one limited express train you can catch that will get you to your destination at a reasonable time, or a bus that only comes around once an hour or two.

It’s definitely good to recognize critical deadlines like that unless you’re in full drifter mode, but it’s enough to tell yourself “on Tuesday we need to be done with lunch and headed to the bus stop by 14:00” and set a reminder on your phone for that day. Stop watch tourism is one of the most unfun ways to take a vacation.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I hated traveling until I did it my way by biking across Japan and I can't wait until I can do it again. Just have a route planned with some rest days and sleep in a tent like a hobo, then go to places along the way that the people I meet tell me to go. Any future trip locations will be decided by how easy it is to live like a homeless person, and Japan felt like it was pretty high up on that list. It was always fun waking up to some seniors doing their morning walk and instead of being scared they'd hang out and chat.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
When I did my trip last year, we planned out meticulously all the food places we wanted to hit up. Then we just saw sights or whatever near wherever we were that we were eating. Anything that was not eating was just filler.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A lot of the time I wasn't even trying and ended up eating at really good and interesting places. One day when I was in dire need of calories to keep going and the place I stumbled into was a 400-year-old joint that was famous for being featured in a bunch of ukiyo-e prints.

I am very guilty of the thread title though, but am unashamed because Lawsons were basically gas stations where instead of petrol I was refilling on delicious Pocari Sweat, pastries and onigiri.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just have a OneNote section with "stuff to do" that's vague addresses and descriptions of things I found online that sounded interesting. Roughly broken out by general areas. I'll either do some or none but never all. I've slowly been working down the list checking things off over the past two years but I never really plan day by day. My days are usually spent wandering in the general direction of stuff and exploring the neighborhoods on the way. Some days are a bust and some days are fun. My favourite thing is to come across little shotengai that I didn't know existed. Then there are days like when I headed out to Saitama railway museum that ate up half a day, was a fun trip out to the museum but there was nothing really in the area that caught my attention.

The most granular I'll do is "14 days in tokyo, 7 days in osaka/kyoto, 3 days in nara" and then just kind of do whatever strikes my fancy any given day depending on where I am.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 11, 2020

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

arisu posted:

When I did my trip last year, we planned out meticulously all the food places we wanted to hit up. Then we just saw sights or whatever near wherever we were that we were eating. Anything that was not eating was just filler.

This is more or less what my brother and I did

Honestly I wish we'd covered less ground and did a week in Tokyo then a week in Kyoto

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I loved the vibe in Kyoto and I was really sad that I only did three days there last time, but at the same time I'm not sure what a good amount of time to stay there would be. This time around I'm trying to get a happy medium of east/west by doing ten days between Osaka and the various outlying areas as a happy medium.

I also planned for three days in Nara exclusive (well, one full day and two travel days) just so I would have one full day to explore.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m a weirdo who loves meticulous planning and timetables. I have a real fear of “wasting” time by just wandering around (unless I’m taking specific time to just relax) since I have to travel halfway across the planet and spend a good chunk of my money to visit.

I’ll have a to-do list of stuff I wanna get done and if I don’t timetable it out well then I’ve no chance of hitting them all up in one trip.

Different people enjoy travel in different ways v:shobon:v

(I try not to inflict this on my travel buddies and just do it on my own time. Though they sometimes end up turning to me when they need to work out how to get to some awkward area and back on time cuz they didn’t plan their own thing out as obsessively!)

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
The only planning-related regret in Japan I have is sending out the drat postcard request to visit Saihoji (the moss temple) too late to secure an appointment. My parents were visiting Japan and my landscape designer mother would have loved it.