Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Camrath posted:

Forgive me for dumping personal poo poo here (no, it’s not fudge related) but depressingly enough these days I have very few other people to talk to.

We found out yesterday that my wife, on top of having recently become almost non-functional due to depression and anxiety, has a 5cm cyst on her ovary. I’m driving her all over the place today for urgent blood tests and doing my best to be supportive, but I’m beginning to majorly freak out myself. Just had a test for cancer markers and an ectopic pregnancy and off for some more in five minutes.

Does anyone know more about this that can tell me that it’s not likely to be cancerous, that it isn’t likely to stop us having kids (been trying for almost a year with nothing other than a super late period a few months ago- which is probably when this thing started) or whatever? Or is that just asking for false hope?

Between this, her mental state, the upcoming move, the various dramas with the cats and y’know, the state of the entire loving world we’re both starting to struggle with our will to fight tbh.

I'm not a gynaecologist, but I spend a bit of time hanging round with them doing operations as a theatre nurse.

It is incredibly, almost vanishingly unlikely to be cancerous if your Mrs is under 40. Cysts on ovaries happen all the time and are very common. My Mrs has one. They come and go. They get bigger and smaller.

The worst outcome is she has a laparoscopy ( filling the abdomen with CO2 and having a look around with a very small telescope ) and some blue dye injected to check out her tubes. It is not a big thing and she won't normally have to stay overnight. Might have to wait a bit nowadays for that, though.

Me and my Mrs were trying for a baby for 3 years. I was just putting on my coat to go to my GPs to set in motion the chain of events that would end up with me wanking into a plastic pot. My mobile beeped and Mrs Dogatron had sent me a photo of a positive pregnancy test strip.

My advice is not to worry ( yeah I know...), look after your cats and continue to have sex as often as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

This guy seems pretty sincere about his point, I like that, but what's the utility in stopping raves when pubs are open, schools are open and we're even telling the 'yeah it's 100% been fine turns out offices are kind of a fake idea" working sector to go back into spreading environments entirely to prop up the lovely-sandwiches-and-commuter-fares markets?

Yeah a cheeky pop-up rave will definitely spread the virus but not as much as all this other stuff which we're being encouraged to do will so gently caress off with this 'lives are at stake' bollocks.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Right now the whole thing with being indoors with other people is just such a lovely idea it's unreal. If you spend any meaningful amount of time in a closed space with other people, either there's no air conditioning so over time the air becomes a thick soup of all the nasty things everybody has, or there is air conditioning and it guarantees that all the nasty stuff circulates through everybody's lungs with maximum efficiency. There's just no way to win there.

Walking around outdoors is fine since there's, like, wind and stuff, and if you just walk past people rather than stopping next to them for seven hours you're probably fine even if they breathe in your general direction.

So, guess which of these two scenarios (indoors vs outdoors) is the one that is required for the economy to continue working. Too bad the government cannot do literally anything at all about any of that

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Julio Cruz posted:

All the people who talk about "healthy skepticism" of every other vaccine on the planet absolutely are part of that group, though, so what exactly's so different about any potential covid vaccine that makes the "healthy skeptics" normal rational people?

Most other vaccines aren't being made in the context of a global pandemic with incredible potential economic returns to the first to market. I'm young and strong enough and sceptical about capitalism enough that nah, gently caress that, happy to be at the back of the queue thanks.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just :lol: that Boris is thinking of a £100b “Moonshot” plan for testing now, probably just a few weeks before a second wave hits. Maybe this would have been a good idea in May, you loving idiot?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every penny of that 100b is going to companies set up last week by Eton alums.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just :lol: that Boris is thinking of a £100b “Moonshot” plan for testing now, probably just a few weeks before a second wave hits. Maybe this would have been a good idea in May, you loving idiot?

I don't think Kier starmer would do any better.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/world/europe/coronavirus-antibody-test-uk.html

It's not a new plan - back in April we bought £20m worth of rapid antibody tests in the hope of allowing people who had had the virus and (maybe ... hopefully) developed immunity to be able to resume 'normal' life.

The tests didn't work.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Okay?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This seems unusually lazy

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
We have just about caught up to the 1968 / 9 flu deaths world wide.

Question is - how much untold harm got us there?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The government have finally released the contact tracing app.

https://protect.scot/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

keep punching joe posted:

The government have finally released the contact tracing app.

https://protect.scot/

Bit bleary-eyed, so initally misread that as "Text if you test positive for Scotland"

Dogatron posted:

We have just about caught up to the 1968 / 9 flu deaths world wide.

Question is - how much untold harm got us there?

Tories gonna crank up the "Unnecessary and Avoidable Deaths" up to 11.

Not counting poo poo like austerity, the decades long gutting of public services, and general lovely work/housing situations people find themselves all (all factors) they were complacent that it wouldn't be bad, or if it was not bad enough to affect them, and ideologically opposed to enacting poo poo that would prevent the worst of it.

And when poo poo actually hit the fan, they dithered and dithered because they actually had to confront reality, and not just "pretend" it wasn't happening, god knows how many people could actually have been spared if the government had actually taken direct action sooner, as opposed to "yeah we don't recommend going to the pub/public transport/school, but we're not going to stop it v:downs:v"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 10, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

<monty_python_scifi_sketch_2020_updated.mp4>

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Pesky Splinter posted:

Bit bleary-eyed, so initally misread that as "Text if you test positive for Scotland"

The amount of Irn Bru detected in this blood test is off the charts!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Firos posted:

The amount of Irn Bru detected in this blood test is off the charts!

"Even Master McGregor doesn't have a Irn Bru count that high."

[e]: Quite happy to fill in on the off days to keep things ticking over :heysexy:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 10, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dogatron posted:

My advice is not to worry ( yeah I know...), look after your cats and continue to have sex as often as you can.

Counter-intuitively, intercourse every other day lets the troops mass more for the charge through no-man's land and makes for better impregnation chances.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Random thought, but I wonder how many people have been run over because no fucker wants to press the button on pelican crossings any more?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Random thought, but I wonder how many people have been run over because no fucker wants to press the button on pelican crossings any more?

Those buttons are a lie anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

They're really not, people just get confused by the phasing when there's a crossing on a junction because if you time it wrong it can take >60 seconds before the green man shows. On some junctions there may be a pedestrian phase built into the phasing, so pressing the button isn't a necessity, but on simple crossings the light change is basically immediate (and absolutely won't happen unless you press the button). I just press them with my elbow, and wonder what the relative covid transmission risk is between pressing a button and standing cow-like in a big crowd waiting for a light change that never comes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

theres a crossroads near me that will alternate between the perpendicular traffic lanes as normal but the green crossing man doesnt appear at all unless someone has pressed a button, so you end up in a kind of weird Mexican standoff where theres people at every crossing point but nobody has pushed the button

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'd like to believe that even the Labour Right wouldn't be so blatant as to transfer £100 Billion to private companies with no oversight from scientists.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Miftan posted:

Those buttons may lie, but these don't;

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

standing cow-like in a big crowd

On all fours and farting constantly?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Dogatron posted:

I was just putting on my coat to go to my GPs to set in motion the chain of events that would end up with me wanking into a plastic pot.

This is perhaps the most British expression of anything I have ever read.

About those quick corona tests, there is one in development in Finland that works like the things police use to see if you have been drinking. You blow into it and you get results in seconds, it's going into clinical trials in September. https://suomenkuvalehti.fi/jutut/kotimaa/mullistava-koronatesti-kokeiluun-turussa-suomalaiskeksinto-lupaa-testituloksen-sekunneissa/ This article is sadly behind a paywall and in Finnish, but the gist of it is that it analyzes the crap in your exhalations can can determine corona from that. Hopefully once they have verified it works it can be spread elsewhere.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Crossing talk!

As far as I'm aware there are three types.

The simple type is just a crossing across a single road. These ones need to have the button pressed, and will then trigger after a certain period of time (so if they're outside a school they will often trigger immediately, presumably to encourage kids to use it). If they've been on recently there will be a delay.

The other type for more complex crossings have a period where they may go on, but only if they've been pressed. So they have a timed slot, but they won't get it if they haven't been pressed.

The third type are the ones which always go on in a sequence, even if no-one is there or pressing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Simply buy one of those £50 Kickstarter innovations that's just a lump of rock you push buttons with to keep your hands clean.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Do people not just... grasp the light patterns of all their local junctions?

Is that just me?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're really not, people just get confused by the phasing when there's a crossing on a junction because if you time it wrong it can take >60 seconds before the green man shows. On some junctions there may be a pedestrian phase built into the phasing, so pressing the button isn't a necessity, but on simple crossings the light change is basically immediate (and absolutely won't happen unless you press the button). I just press them with my elbow, and wonder what the relative covid transmission risk is between pressing a button and standing cow-like in a big crowd waiting for a light change that never comes.

Then they should have different buttons. I've never come across one that hasn't changed automatically, even if it takes a while, anywhere in the UK, as far as I can recall, and I'm not touching the covid factory if I can help it.

It helps that where I live atm there are now cow-like big crowds waiting for light changes, I suppose.

thespaceinvader posted:

Is that just me?

Same here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

On all fours and farting constantly?

Pretty much. I don't often get humanity delanda est but there's something about the completely blank, power-saving-mode expressions you get when people are just standing there waiting for the green man to tell them what to do (or staring at dull surprise at you when you're trying to get off a train they want to get on) that makes me really start thinking how I could go about setting off a volcano in the middle of London.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Then they should have different buttons. I've never come across one that hasn't changed automatically, even if it takes a while, anywhere in the UK, as far as I can recall, and I'm not touching the covid factory if I can help it.

It helps that where I live atm there are now cow-like big crowds waiting for light changes, I suppose.

Same here.

The button always does something, it just may take longer at certain junctions, and may not be *required* at others. . Don't make me draw diagrams.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd like to believe that even the Labour Right wouldn't be so blatant as to transfer £100 Billion to private companies with no oversight from scientists.

*looks at tuition fees, PFI*

Ataxerxes posted:

Hopefully once they have verified it works it can be spread elsewhere.

We're trying to avoid that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The button always does something, it just may take longer at certain junctions, and may not be *required* at others. . Don't make me draw diagrams.

On the ones where it's always the same sequence, it doesn't do anything except make a wait light come on, thoguh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

The third type are the ones which always go on in a sequence, even if no-one is there or pressing.

Nearly all the ones I've seen in Germany are like this, with the addition that they tick. By giving people a reference for how long they've actually been waiting, it prevents (some) people becoming impatient and crossing when it isn't safe.

thespaceinvader posted:

Is that just me?

I'm sure they do, but junctions with pedestrian crossings on major roads will never turn red in all directions for vehicles unless the button is pushed. The button triggers a "pedestrian" phase at the end of the current cycle.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 10, 2020

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Am I the only one that feels underneath the button box for the rotating cone while waiting at a crossing?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

Nearly all the ones I've seen in Germany are like this, with the addition that they tick. By giving people a reference for how long they've actually been waiting, it prevents (some) people becoming impatient and crossing when it isn't safe.

The ticking is good for blind people as well as it helps them locate the crossing.

The ones in the UK at least usually have a little spinner underneath which starts spinning when the green man appears for people who can't hear or see the signal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

really start thinking how I could go about setting off a volcano in the middle of London.

I believe the Festival of Brexit people are still taking ideas from the public.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Latest edition of UKMT's very own pod is out for your enjoyment:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1303732651052937217?s=20

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

green man or not, crossing any street at all here gets you yelled at by lycra dickheads running a red light trying for another strava PB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Tsietisin posted:

Am I the only one that feels underneath the button box for the rotating cone while waiting at a crossing?

Idk why but this reminds me that when I was a kid I read that the chocolate vending machines you used to get in tube platforms would display a diagnostic message if you entered 110 or 115 or something, and sometimes the message had been changed to a funny one by the last engineer that serviced it, so whenever I was in London I'd go and press all the buttons. Never found any message better than "system OK" though.

Also traffic light chat: there's a ridiculously badly designed 4 or 5 way junction at the end of Chiswick Bridge referred to as "Choker's corner" that has a system of pedestrian islands where the lights on each side are not synced, so you can't actually get across the road in one go but have to stand in the middle of the road for 2 minutes for the next light to change so you can get the rest of the way across. It can take upwards of 5 minutes to get over both sides easily.