Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We definitely know they would never consider any kind of compromise except one where they get less money for more creative control. They are the perfect avatars of their generation as far as that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I am Reverend posted:

I'm not exactly holding my breath for an HBO continuation because I don't except Doc or Jackson will (or should) accept anything less than complete creative control. I'd rather have no ending than one where the network gives input to the effect of "Doc is too unlikeable" etc.

Basically I want to remember The Venture Bros as a perfect show and not something that got weird and watered down like what happened to Arrested Development.

Arrested Development got messed up because they waited so many years to make a new season and everyone had moved on and their schedules didn't line up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Arrested Development got messed up because they waited so many years to make a new season and everyone had moved on and their schedules didn't line up.

The longer the show goes without being on a schedule, the more paintings of morose women smoking Doc starts :ohdear:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

uber_stoat posted:

i feel like a lot of the institutional knowledge of piracy has been lost. many young people don't even know how the gently caress to operate a pc, much less torrents. some of them are as bad as boomers.

I just checked and I still have the myspleen.org account I downloaded Seasons 1 and 2 and Harvey Birdman on. :corsair:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I am Reverend posted:

I'm not exactly holding my breath for an HBO continuation because I don't except Doc or Jackson will (or should) accept anything less than complete creative control. I'd rather have no ending than one where the network gives input to the effect of "Doc is too unlikeable" etc.

Basically I want to remember The Venture Bros as a perfect show and not something that got weird and watered down like what happened to Arrested Development.

*rewatches S7*

“You should probably sit down”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Season 7 was good and cool, actually.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mantis42 posted:

Season 7 was good and cool, actually.

That’s how I feel about Arrested Developments later seasons also, but you can’t deny it’s definitely not in it’s prime anymore. I felt like S7 never hits the highs of 4-5

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Entropic posted:

I just checked and I still have the myspleen.org account I downloaded Seasons 1 and 2 and Harvey Birdman on. :corsair:

Used my account on there just a couple months ago to download all of Good Eats(as someone uploaded high quality rips of the entire series), and last year to get all of Beavis and Butt-Head

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I never even heard of MySpleen. I just used random torrent sites and before that Limewire and Kazaa.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really liked the S6 arc and its conclusion in S7. The rest of S7 was more hit or miss imo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

That's less of an issue with voice work. It's not like they are all sitting together recording their lines.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The only season of VB that I thought wasn't as good or better than the preceding season was season 5. Season 5 felt a bit weak from the insane highs of season 4. 6 and 7 were both fantastic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I never even heard of MySpleen. I just used random torrent sites and before that Limewire and Kazaa.

Well they're one of those sites where you have to have an invite to make an account and access the site so that's probably part of it

Unmature
May 9, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Well they're one of those sites where you have to have an invite to make an account and access the site so that's probably part of it

Invites have also been turned off since like 2014 I think

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I really liked the S6 arc and its conclusion in S7. The rest of S7 was more hit or miss imo.

I remember being really lukewarm on S6 since there wasn't really a proper finale, but the S7 three-part opener was such an incredible payoff that it honestly sold me on never writing VB off again. I think the rest of Season 7 was good anyway but it could be crap and that three-parter would still be near-peak VB.

Really I would be happy if they got a single season or a movie to finish things up. I don't think it's the type of series that needs every single mystery answered and I'm more than happy with all we've gotten, but I would really hate for the series to end with Hank leaving without resolving things with Dean.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
If you consider The High Cost of Loathing to be the real season 7 premiere it's my favorite premiere since season 2 and is probably the number one episode I would recommend to somebody to start the show with.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If the Hulu rights thing manages to be legit, they should just go for titling the new season "Season 8" with a big VB logo attached. And if it gets renewed again, the show is retitled "Season 9" and so on. Then once anything VB is completely reacquired by Warner, retroactively retitle them (but the openings still call them Season X).

It's dumb, but it's feels VB dumb to me.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Seasons 6&7 are the point where you have to be invested in the show for it to really have any impact. Everything before that can be more or less understood without prior knowledge. Once you hit gargantua 2 it kind of just starts rolling and doesn’t stop

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s how I feel about Arrested Developments later seasons also, but you can’t deny it’s definitely not in it’s prime anymore. I felt like S7 never hits the highs of 4-5

The highs of 4, I’ll give you, but S7 is absolutely better than S5. S7E5 (the treaty of tolerance one) is one of my favorite episodes of the entire show.

E:And saying it wasn’t as good as S4 is like saying a season of Justified wasn’t as good as S2. I mean, obviously it isn’t, both of those things are basically perfect seasons of television.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Shoreleave eyefucking Dragoon & Red Mantle right before he says "wanna fight me for my golden fleece you loving hydra" is just brilliant, imo.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Season 5 and 3 are probably my least favorite seasons after the first. 2 (with the exception of Love Bheits) 4 7 and 6 are basically perfect television for me the whole way through

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Season 2 was the peak of the show.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The guy from labyrinth turned into a bird!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Starting to wonder if this post might actually eventually come true:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Part of me wonders if they'll get to the point where they just say "gently caress it" and end the series as a comic book miniseries big gently caress-off Livejournal post.

edit: I don't mean "gently caress-off" as in like "get lost" but as in a modifier a la "seriously gigantic"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been rewatching the show during lockdown and just reached S5, and while I was a bit lukewarm on it at the time I find myself appreciating it a lot more now. When it first broadcast it felt like the series was spinning its wheels a bit at that point (and I think they admitted as much in the book), but now with the benefit of hindsight it's a great capstone to the 'classic' VB era before they start switching things up in S6. Feels like there's a little bit of everything in that season, and pretty much every side character gets a moment to shine.

I don't think there's any episodes there I'd rank as my favourites, but pretty much all of them are still a ton of fun.

E: S5 was also the point where I realized that I liked Hatred more than Brock. He's such a fun character and imo just has much better chemistry with Doc and the boys, and it really feels like they nailed writing him during that season. It's a shame they ended up sidelining him for Brock again, who tbh has felt a bit flat ever since he got reintroduced in S6. His whole plotline in the S7 finale, while awesome, really highlighted that they haven't known what to do with his character for a while now.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Brock is cool, but he's kind of one note. He's the suave guy who easily murders whatever no-name that attacks him. Hatred has a bunch more layers and is a more interesting character, even if he is a pedophile.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

Brock is cool, but he's kind of one note. He's the suave guy who easily murders whatever no-name that attacks him. Hatred has a bunch more layers and is a more interesting character, even if he is a pedophile.

He supposedly wasn't *always* a pedophile, it was a side-effect of the Super Soldier serum the OSI gave him. We also don't know if he ever acted on it, but I honestly wouldn't have put it past the Guild when they recruited him.

Also, we were just starting to see Brock become something other than a one-note character, especially with him hooking up with Warriana and giving up on Molotov.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He supposedly wasn't *always* a pedophile, it was a side-effect of the Super Soldier serum the OSI gave him. We also don't know if he ever acted on it, but I honestly wouldn't have put it past the Guild when they recruited him.

In an... I want to say S2 episode Hank says that whatever happened with Hatred while Dean was passed out from wine was “awful” so he definitely did some pedo poo poo at some point.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
There's a scene in S7 where Hatred is giving a tour to a bunch of schoolchildren and cheerfully regales them with a story from his supervillain days, and even though it's kind of a throwaway bit I remember thinking that the amount of groundwork and development they've had to put his character through to arrive at a place like that organically is really quite staggering when you stop and think about it. To think that all started from a one-off joke about the boys getting molested is amazing

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 10, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, we were just starting to see Brock become something other than a one-note character, especially with him hooking up with Warriana and giving up on Molotov.

Yeah they do make it very clear that Hatred HATES that aspect of himself, which is probably the best thing you can do when you have someone like him become a protagonist, well that and them revealing that his pedophilia is artificial in nature and putting him on medication to further combat it

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think it's pretty clear the reveal about his pedophilia being the result of OSI's super-serum was a soft-retcon of sorts. They didn't literally retcon him out of being a pedophile, but they realized he was a much more fun, complex, and sympathetic character than they originally intended and - between that and their own growing maturity as people and writers - realized having him be a pedophile was kind of a problem and that this was essentially a soft retcon. No, no, he did pedophile things in the past, but he actually was never a *real* pedophile and isn't one by nature and is all better now!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The pedophile thing was a terrible idea, especially in woke 2020 (seriously waiting for an Internet warrior to try to cancel the show oh too late!), but I quote "it was mostly awful" every day

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
One of the things I find most interesting about the show is despite how long-running it is, how deep and in some ways convoluted the plot is, and the massive cast of characters, there are to my knowledge no explicit literal retcons and only one plot hole/contradiction* that cannot possibly be rectified by assuming imperfect knowledge on the part of the characters.

*The dates and details surrounding Jonas Sr.'s death given in the last season are impossible given what we saw earlier. It creates a plothole with what we know about Brock and when he joined up with OSI in the earlier seasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

One of the things I find most interesting about the show is despite how long-running it is, how deep and in some ways convoluted the plot is, and the massive cast of characters, there are to my knowledge no explicit literal retcons and only one plot hole/contradiction* that cannot possibly be rectified by assuming imperfect knowledge on the part of the characters.

*The dates and details surrounding Jonas Sr.'s death given in the last season are impossible given what we saw earlier. It creates a plothole with what we know about Brock and when he joined up with OSI in the earlier seasons.

How does it create a plothole? Brock joined the army after getting kicked off the football team and was sent to OSI almost immediately. They were never specific about when that happened, iirc.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I might be misremembering but from what I recall off hand Brock was implied or said to be in OSI when Movie Night happened as of Season 8, which doesn't line up with when he joined from the earlier seasons. Something like that. I'm doing a rewatch and on Season 3's finale ATM so I'll get there soon enough, but yeah. I recall it sticking out and I think being mentioned here. There was something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I might be misremembering but from what I recall off hand Brock was implied or said to be in OSI when Movie Night happened as of Season 8, which doesn't line up with when he joined from the earlier seasons. Something like that. I'm doing a rewatch and on Season 3's finale ATM so I'll get there soon enough, but yeah. I recall it sticking out and I think being mentioned here. There was something.

No he says every OSI rookie is taught what happened at movie night. He even specifically notes that he was recruited to fight in the pyramid wars started in the aftermath of movie night.

I don't think any previous season has him in the OSI any earlier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You might be mixed up: Brock specifically said that he was recruited by the OSI to fight in the Pyramid Wars set off by Movie Night, and Red Mantle and Dragoon were greatly amused to see him realise that his entire life has been defined by a lie.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh, nice. So I misremembered. That's even cooler and more impressive then. All those years of make-it-up-as-you-go-along continuity and the closest thing to a contradiction or retcon is really just the soft retconning of Hatred's pedophilia.

I think it's as much a testament to how 'real' and great the characters are as anything else.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Really the only thing that was disappointing and went nowhere/left completely unexplained were the Investors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The investors and killinger are greek gods of the wind whose task is to guide mortals based on their names and what he says to them before they fight.