Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Jestery posted:

I really like in Dr no when bond realised something was amiss and took off his shoes, the whole scene is silent and you really need to focus of what bong is actually doing and there isn't some obvious change in style or editing really gives creedence to the portrayal of bond and his competency.

Dr No is a great Bond movie that doesn't get mentioned enough. It does a fantastic job of establishing a character that "men want to be, and women want to be with." He's a highly competent investigator. He's smart, stylish, quick-on-his-feet, resourceful, charming, tough, unflappable, and able. These are all well-demonstrated, we're not just told that he is.

It's a shame the later films don't do a great job of reinforcing those; they devolve into "gadget man fights eccentric cartoon villain in big lair". One reason I liked License to Kill was because it was a return to those original traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Turns out the whole movie's theme was speed-run through life because who knows when some rear end in a top hat is going to drive on the wrong side of the road and kill you.

idgi but judging by the reactions this got i wanna gi

edit: nevermind google helped be and :stare:

for anyone who dumb like me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Broderick#1987_car_crash

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

minato posted:

Dr No is a great Bond movie that doesn't get mentioned enough. It does a fantastic job of establishing a character that "men want to be, and women want to be with." He's a highly competent investigator. He's smart, stylish, quick-on-his-feet, resourceful, charming, tough, unflappable, and able. These are all well-demonstrated, we're not just told that he is.

It's a shame the later films don't do a great job of reinforcing those; they devolve into "gadget man fights eccentric cartoon villain in big lair". One reason I liked License to Kill was because it was a return to those original traits.

The thing I find funny in Dr No is that the Bond theme is used EVERYWHERE. Whereas in later films, it'll be used during some big action climax, in Dr No it'll play at the drop of a hat. I understand that at that point it was just some music written for the film and wasn't the iconic piece it is now, it just makes the film a little amusing to watch when Bond notices something in his rear view mirror and the soundtrack sounds like he's just skied backwards off a cliff while shooting a Russian agent and shagging the agent's girlfriend.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I believe the sound editor got the theme at the 11th hour and had already mixed pretty much everything already, so he just jammed it everywhere that made even the slightest lock of sense

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Jestery posted:

so he just jammed it everywhere that made even the slightest lock of sense

Truly, the "James Bond" approach to sound editing

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

James Woods posted:

I want to see Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogan make James Bong starring James Franco.

Oh, you haven't seen Pineapple Express then?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Paper Tiger posted:

Truly, the "James Bond" approach to sound editing

:golfclap:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sunswipe posted:

The thing I find funny in Dr No is that the Bond theme is used EVERYWHERE. Whereas in later films, it'll be used during some big action climax, in Dr No it'll play at the drop of a hat. I understand that at that point it was just some music written for the film and wasn't the iconic piece it is now, it just makes the film a little amusing to watch when Bond notices something in his rear view mirror and the soundtrack sounds like he's just skied backwards off a cliff while shooting a Russian agent and shagging the agent's girlfriend.

So the games where doing anything cool results in the Bond sting are actually true to the source material. Neat!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

for anyone who dumb like me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Broderick#1987_car_crash

Jesus, he killed two people and was fined 175$. I figured from all the jokes it was something more light-hearted than that. drat.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Greggster posted:

Oh, you haven't seen Pineapple Express then?

No Pineapple Express is 48hrs with that formula. I'm thinking more like The Interview with Franco deadpanning his accent from Your Highness with Rogen as Q and Danny McBride as the Villain. Dave Franco can play the femme fatale.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

minato posted:

100% this. Bond is at his best when he's a detective. Most of the first movies all started off with, "We want you to investigate" and we find out more as he does. For example, him figuring out Goldfinger's actual plan is great. Ironically, most of the other movies took after the scene where Goldfinger tells the mobsters the fake plot and merely have the villain just reveal the plot.

One of the reasons why I love Licence to Kill is because he's a competent spy who uses those skills in what starts out as a personal vendetta. Once he realizes the world he's in and the stakes are larger than just that, he changes his plan to take down Sanchez' entire drug empire. Guy's a pro.

I also like Diamonds Are Forever because it has similar moments, like when Bond figures out the money he was given for the (fake) diamonds is fake because they'd never "burn up 100,000 real dollars," and then decides to live it up in Las Vegas on fake cash. Say what you will about the movie as a whole, but there's still moments of that Bond in the movie that I like.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've been on a bond kick lately, and just finished off Thunderball

It's subtle but during the underwater scenes, it's impossible to tell what the hell is going on

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
You can really tell everyone in the world was into Jacques Cousteau

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
The Dalton Bond films are highly underrated. Many other fans find this heresy but The Living Daylights is probably my favourite. Where else are you going to see Bond team up with Osama Bin Laden?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

jazzyjay posted:

You can really tell everyone in the world was into Jacques Cousteau

I think one of the writers of the original treatment was into diving, and that's why there's so much of it in the movie (been a while since I read the book so I don't remember exactly).

James Woods posted:

The Dalton Bond films are highly underrated. Many other fans find this heresy but The Living Daylights is probably my favourite. Where else are you going to see Bond team up with Osama Bin Laden?

Took me a few watches to finally get all of the pieces of the plot. I think that was part of the '80s-era movies, that they tried to string together multiple short story ideas and they didn't always fully fit. It was still better at doing that than Octopussy, I'll say that much.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

James Woods posted:

I also love the Dalton Bonds.

What I like about The Living Daylights are the baddies. I love the buffoonish Russian, the Aryan assassin, and the American arms dealer. They all have a different cool villain energy about them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

James Woods posted:

Where else are you going to see Bond team up with Osama Bin Laden?

Just here. Oh, and in actual real life.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BrigadierSensible posted:

I also love the Dalton Bonds.

What I like about The Living Daylights are the baddies. I love the buffoonish Russian, the Aryan assassin, and the American arms dealer. They all have a different cool villain energy about them.

And Timothy Dalton was a pretty good James Bond, too! A decent middleground between suave and professional.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Torquemada posted:

Just here. Oh, and in actual real life.

Osama Bond Laden

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I watched The Meg the other day, and there was absolutely nothing subtle about it at all. I don't understand how it was able to be so uninteresting despite being about massive sharks.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Roblo posted:

I watched The Meg the other day, and there was absolutely nothing subtle about it at all. I don't understand how it was able to be so uninteresting despite being about massive sharks.

While I agree

There is some interesting look at the film on a slightly closer read

The amount of Chinese money that went into it is evident beyond the facile

Like, conflicts are always american characters arguing who need a cool calm Chinese character, in any scene where you are reading it off a computer there is Chinese alongside or above the english. I'm sure there is a bit more if you dig harder. Especially if there are maps in the background

It's a weird way to close read a film but it's interesting

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

He still has a holiday home in Ireland. In a charming little village called... Kilcar

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The villains name in Expendables 2 is villain.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jestery posted:

While I agree

There is some interesting look at the film on a slightly closer read

The amount of Chinese money that went into it is evident beyond the facile

Like, conflicts are always american characters arguing who need a cool calm Chinese character, in any scene where you are reading it off a computer there is Chinese alongside or above the english. I'm sure there is a bit more if you dig harder. Especially if there are maps in the background

It's a weird way to close read a film but it's interesting

Oh yes, that side of things was super blatant.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

Took me a few watches to finally get all of the pieces of the plot. I think that was part of the '80s-era movies, that they tried to string together multiple short story ideas and they didn't always fully fit. It was still better at doing that than Octopussy, I'll say that much.

I always thought thre plot was pretty straightforward bit then again I've seen that movie probably twice as many times as any other bond film. It does hane several twists and misdirections though which I like.

The Dalton films were also the first try at a more gritty reboot of the series. After the silly Rodger Moore movies Dalton's by contrast were a lot more grounded. It reminds me a lot of the transition from the Brosnan era films to Craig. I really wish we'd gotten one or two more before the transition to Brosnan.

Another interesting thing about Dalton is he did almost all of his own stunts. He's a trained stuntman and if I remember correctly actually was a stunt man for Rodger Moore in one or more of the earlier movies. The cargo plane scene in Living Daylights is actually Dalton and all practical. Looking at it today it's up there with something Tom Cruise would do in a Mission Impossible movie.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
The "does his own stunts" thing is a big plus for me. That meant something in the 80s when you couldn't just CGI it away. These days films cost so much that they can't risk actors getting injured so it's rare to see someone do a dangerous stunt.

The curse of any long-running franchise is that they must keep topping the last one, getting slowly more ridiculous until they need to be reset. Dalton's was a welcome one after the comedy direction that Moore was taking it. (Counterpoint: Fast & Furious seems to be leaning into the craziness; eventually we'll have a movie where Vin Diesel is an actual car.)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The only Bond I don't like is Lazenby, they all bring their own unique charm to the character

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tom Cruise still hangs from airplanes for the hell of it in his movies, and some of the DC CW guys do their own stuff. It is increasingly rare because CGI is quite good. We notice bad CGI, but way more stuff is CGI that you just don't see.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

James Woods posted:

I always thought thre plot was pretty straightforward bit then again I've seen that movie probably twice as many times as any other bond film. It does hane several twists and misdirections though which I like.

The Dalton films were also the first try at a more gritty reboot of the series. After the silly Rodger Moore movies Dalton's by contrast were a lot more grounded. It reminds me a lot of the transition from the Brosnan era films to Craig. I really wish we'd gotten one or two more before the transition to Brosnan.

Another interesting thing about Dalton is he did almost all of his own stunts. He's a trained stuntman and if I remember correctly actually was a stunt man for Rodger Moore in one or more of the earlier movies. The cargo plane scene in Living Daylights is actually Dalton and all practical. Looking at it today it's up there with something Tom Cruise would do in a Mission Impossible movie.

I'm usually not that slow at figuring out plots, but once in a while I miss something. Then again, it's been a while since I've actually sat down to watch it, so maybe I'm just forgetting.

I'll give For Your Eyes Only that credit, that it took the short stories and made a decent low-key Bond movie. It's not great, but a lower ambition doesn't hurt the movie.

And speaking of Mission: Impossible, I'm actually anticipating the next one for all the reasons mentioned. Say what you will about Cruise, but he's a hell of a showman.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Aphrodite posted:

We notice bad CGI, but way more stuff is CGI that you just don't see.
Hot take: CGI is not inherently better or worse than doing stuff practically and film nerds are way too uptight about it :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

Hot take: CGI is not inherently better or worse than doing stuff practically and film nerds are way too uptight about it :v:

The rear projection stuff in these early bond films is wild and I kinda want to see more of it done today

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jestery posted:

The rear projection stuff in these early bond films is wild and I kinda want to see more of it done today

Is The Mandalorian the modern equivalent? Instead of projecting a landscape/background, just use a giant gently caress off curved screen to display it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is The Mandalorian the modern equivalent? Instead of projecting a landscape/background, just use a giant gently caress off curved screen to display it.

Sort of, I mean more in the ,like , matching sets to rear projection so they don't have to move actors around to much

Or having an actor obscure them selve to deliver a different line to fix an edit

It makes just a funky mood, but I guess I'm enjoying the "warmness" of vinyl or the effect of film grain

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Aphrodite posted:

Tom Cruise still hangs from airplanes for the hell of it in his movies, and some of the DC CW guys do their own stuff. It is increasingly rare because CGI is quite good. We notice bad CGI, but way more stuff is CGI that you just don't see.

And Tom Cruise only gets away with it because he’s the one bankrolling the movie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cruise's stuntwork is, like, the only thing I respect about him

Well, that and managing to be a marquee movie star when he's got one big toof right in the middle of his face, I don't know how he swung that

Danny Trejo is on record as insisting that stunt people do his stunts, and the reason he gives is that if the star gets hurt it can delay the shoot while they heal, which can cost the film crew their livelihood for the sake of saying "the actor does their own stunts", and I also respect that

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Promoted Pawn posted:

And Tom Cruise only gets away with it because he’s the one bankrolling the movie.

Hence the term “cruise control”

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, Trejo basically wants to make sure the movie goes on, and he's not out to impress anyone with "I have huge nuts because I am doing my own stunts!" kinda ego.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I mostly respect Tom Cruise's willingness to throw himself out of as many airplanes as it takes to convince the world that he's tall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it’s a good plan anyway but I don’t think Danny Trejo can do his own stunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bell jar posted:

The only Bond I don't like is Lazenby, they all bring their own unique charm to the character

Lazenby was a model who hadn't really acted before. He looks good in a suit, but that's it. It's a shame, because OHMSS is a great Bond movie.