Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinitum posted:

That's the general way of it though. WoW has the same 'problem'.

The story basically assumes you are The Protaganist, your guild is A Band Of Adventurers, and all the primary plot characters do all the heavy lifting.
You're generally there just to be the murderhobo.

I think some of the recent chronologies for WoW finally put to rest which faction canonically kills which raid bosses as well.

This gets less true for the WoL as time goes on but it's the sort of thing that creeps in slowly. Stuff like the Dark Knight questline and the Shadowbringers main scenario end up being more personal stories than they first appear going in, but the bulk of the story fits into that more typical mmo mold until the writers get more comfortable breaking out of it. There's moments from HW onwards where it's clear the WoL has built up attachments to certain characters. After a couple of betrayals involving poisoned drinks the WoL clearly starts showing signs of PTSD whenever alcohol gets involved, and one late game sidequest even gives you the option to decide if and how that trauma might still affect the Warrior of Light.

Shadowbringers, incidentally, is the expac that allows you to run dungeons with NPCs who have their own chatter and AI quirks. Through HW and Stormblood the story slowly starts treating the WoL's NPC companions as their JRPG party, but in ShB this becomes true in a mechanical sense.

ShB even reveals the Warrior of Light's backstory of all things and when you learn it a lot of little details and curious bits of foreshadowing start coming together in retrospect.

But all of this is gated by like 500 hours of mmo-rear end mmoing and I can't in good conscience gush about Shadowbringers without throwing that caveat in there. For most people that's too big of an ask, and honestly they're right. So all I can do is rant and rave about a thing I love with the knowledge that it's not going to get the attention I think it genuinely deserves.

The main villain of Shadowbringers, Emet-Selch, managed to knock Sephiroth from the top spot of a Japanese popularity poll for FF villains. He's a sleazy, smarmy, middle-aged man who basically everybody called a ratfucker just from looking at him. And now he's the most heartwrenching, and thus popular, villain in the franchise. I mean seriously, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've always thought of PUBG as the EverQuest of Battle Royale shooters; it was big when it came out and essentially built a whole new genre but lovely development and an insistence on weird inane bullshit crippled its long term viability, especially once competitors who knew what they were doing and didn't care about any of said inane bullshit started cropping up.

its the biggest br and one of the biggest games ever made, it just doesnt seem like it in the west where fortnite is bigger.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i really like ff14 but never got the specific praise for the music, its pretty generic

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's like 10-20 tracks that are constantly used in the background of cutscenes throughout all of the expansions that really grate after a few hundred hours.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
It's possible to grab a generic steam emulator and have someone who has the game on steam zip and send their folder to you. I think it's fine for games that are in a lovely limbo state, like Alpha Protocol.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kerrzhe posted:

i happened to get the dog in sea of thieves that looks the most like the dog of wisdom

his name is Leto he's a good dog

Looks like a good dog! Never expected them to add dogs as a pet, can they perch on railings like other animals? I need to get myself and my friends back to it and finish the Tall Tale story missions, the ones we did were all really good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The best ff14 track is the one that plays in amh areng or however it's spelled

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

StoryTime posted:

It's possible to grab a generic steam emulator and have someone who has the game on steam zip and send their folder to you. I think it's fine for games that are in a lovely limbo state, like Alpha Protocol.

Don't even need that, the Steam version is DRM free if you launch it from the APGame.exe

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

fridge corn posted:

The best ff14 track is the one that plays in amh areng or however it's spelled

Sorry, you were way off on your attempt to spell Kugane, but that's the correct way, for future reference.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stux posted:

i really like ff14 but never got the specific praise for the music, its pretty generic

I'm playing through the story of FF14 right now. I have played WoW since the end of Burning Crusade so as I'm playing FF14, I'm gonna be comparing it a lot to WoW. As far as the music goes so far for me personally, WoW has overwall WAY better zone music. Except for a handful of exceptions like Uldah, I really don't like the zone music in FF14. I'm doing Stormblood right now and so you spend a lot of time in a placed called Yanxia. And I HATE the music for that zone. It sounds like someone playing a recorder badly. I can't stand it. I think WoW just does zone music so much better and has overall better music in the zones. Like there hasn't been any zone music in FF14 that really hits me the way places like Howling Fjord, Jade Forest, Dazar'alor, etc, I'm not gonna name every zone

However when it comes to boss music, WoW doesn't even come close. I think they sort of have boss music? But it's not memorable and I think very little of the dungeon music really knocks it out of the park in general. However in FF14, the bosses, like the primals and whatever other bosses have their own unique boss music most (all?) of the time and it's always REALLY good. A recent boss battle I did was the primal lady that the snake people worshiped and I was in awe at the music during that fight. It seemed to ramp up when she was doing her attack where she pulls everyone in with her arms and it was drat this is sick.

I could sit here and write a novel of the things I prefer about WoW over FF14 and the other way around, but I just want to comment on one other thing that I notice the most outside the music:

Lurdiak posted:

The basic gameplay loop is fine but this game was hyped to me as "so much better than wow" and so far that's only true of the graphics.

And this is something I just will never agree with. I think FF14 looks... decent at best. Now the boss fights are awesome and that's clearly where they go all out visually, but when it comes to how the world looks, how the races look, and just the general art style of the game, I think this game is SEVERELY lacking. WoW's art style just works for me in a way this game doesn't, and I think the way the world looks end up suffering a lot visually in ways that I don't think WoW's does. There's plenty of zones in FF14 that do look good for what they are, but they are all held back for me by the art style of the game and the games ends up looking kind of dated in a way that WoW doesn't for me. Now I haven't gotten to Shadowbringers yet, so maybe those zones are just leagues ahead of the rest of the game so we'll see. But in general I prefer how WoW looks, and this also goes for the races which are just more fun and have more options than "human but a cat, human but a bunny, human but has a weird bear nose". The Hrothgar are the closest I guess to feeling like a WoW race to me but they're not really there. Like there really isn't a race that comes close to my fox girl in WoW, and it's doubly frustrating because they love to populate FF14 with background races I would love to play as, but are just NPCs.

I do think Lalafells are loving adorable though and I will protect those little potatoes with my life.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 10, 2020

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
What the gently caress is a fox girl in WoW? I played nonstop for like 2 decades but this the first time I have ever seen the phrase "fox girl"

Is this a mandela thing

or is it just some new bullshit from battle for azeroth because I noped out on that, hard

edit: ff14 is really good, ya'll

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

postmodifier posted:

What the gently caress is a fox girl in WoW? I played nonstop for like 2 decades but this the first time I have ever seen the phrase "fox girl"

Is this a mandela thing

or is it just some new bullshit from battle for azeroth because I noped out on that, hard

The Vulpera, a fox race that was introduced in BFA.

postmodifier posted:

edit: ff14 is really good, ya'll

I should state I'm enjoying FF14 despite those things I don't like

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have not played WoW but looking at google images the races are all v ugly to me

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
I... I honestly have no real reaction to that, because I was prepared to eye-roll myself to death over some new cheesecake furry bullshit, but instead it's like, chaste tiny animal people...

I still don't like it but I will live in peace with it, alongside my true friends, the lalafell

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WoW looked fine in 2005. It looks utterly disgusting now, no matter how far they try to warp and stretch the engine.

When it's the main thing you play though it's really easy to forget how ugly it is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oops! All game leaks!

Help Im Alive posted:

I have not played WoW but looking at google images the races are all v ugly to me

That's because you forgot to google Dwarves.

The best race.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

stev posted:

WoW looked fine in 2005. It looks utterly disgusting now, no matter how far they try to warp and stretch the engine.

When it's the main thing you play though it's really easy to forget how ugly it is.

I just don't agree, or think it's ugly. There are remnants of vanilla I wish would go away though that are ugly, like all the original mounts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish they'd stop reusing the same skeletons and rigs for loving everything.

It's like you get 1-2 new models each expansion, and then they just reskin everything.

Sure do love that 1 dragon rig on every loving flying mount since Burning Crusades!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiNfDAEGiHY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh I definitely think WoW has the advantage as far as scenery goes, FF14's textures aren't great and it's really obvious when you're flying over zones. Which isn't great because the entire overworld in FF14 is basically just flyover country after you're done with any given zone's story arc. There are few zones whose music really sticks in the mind positively and at the moment I can really only name a handful from Shadowbringers. Amh Araeng's got incredibly chill lofi beats, Rak'tika Greatwood's music very quickly turned into a love-it-or-hate it meme in the community, and the Tempest has a quietly evocative leitmotif that get put to even better use as intensely stirring dungeon and boss music at the very end of the expac, to a degree overshadowing its use as zone music. And that last bit goes to show the differences between WoW and FF14's approaches to music and set pieces. This even extends to locations that are, themselves, more set pieces than zones themselves.

The New Nest, the Ishgard Restoration theme I'd posted earlier, is some of the most moving and uplifting music in the game but, though it's the background music for a crafting mini-zone in a city, storywise it and the entire crafting zone are effectively an emotional set piece for the Ishgard's postwar narrative. It's hopeful and idyllic without being insincere or cloying. And it represents reconstruction and reconciliation between two nations who were previously locked in a millennia-long forever war.

And that's the kind of ideas and tone I appreciate FF14 for, as I know WoW is too invested in its own forever wars to really consider exploring this sort of story in a lasting or satisfactory way.

Also the New Nest theme is just Masayoshi Soken absolutely flexing on his piano and I really want to be able to grab it as an orchestrion roll somewhere down the line.

Here's the piano solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwcFAXVx3I

Runa fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 10, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

It's like you get 1-2 new models each expansion, and then they just reskin everything.

Sure do love that 1 dragon rig on every loving flying mount since Burning Crusades!

That takes me back to WotLK where 90% of my enjoyment of the endgame came from trying to get all the cool drake skins. The bastards were everywhere.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xarbala posted:

WoW is too invested in its own forever wars to really consider exploring this sort of story in a lasting or satisfactory way.

They've literally had 4-5 prominent story moments where merging the factions would make 100% sense; as WoW is 100% design by committee now.

Shadowlands is straight up shoehorning in the faction war again, rather than allow players to have any sense of actual agency, while continuing to show story NPCs frequently interacting with opposing factions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, I do agree that this is a huge problem they really need to stop doing. They definitely can make it work, Vulpera using the Goblin skeleton/rig/whatever and the Worgen and Sethrak doing so also work fine as they go out of their way to make them look different and give them animations that make them not seem like they're using the same base. But then you have instances like this dragon mount, which hasn't been updated since really vanilla. At the very least they should use the Proto Dragon skeleton just to spice it up a bit.

I get why they do it, and when they dress it up enough I don't think it's a problem at all, but there's plenty of times where it's blatant and badly done like this mount

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinitum posted:

They've literally had 4-5 prominent story moments where merging the factions would make 100% sense.

Shadowlands is straight up shoehorning in the faction war again, rather than allow players to have any sense of actual agency, while continuing to show story NPCs frequently interacting with opposing factions.

Despite the fact that I played and left WoW years ago, just knowing this is frustrating as hell.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've tried to get into FFXIV a couple of times, but it's just not worth doing unless you're the kind of person who already allows themselves to get too deep on MMOs, which frankly, probably isn't a good kind of person to be

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xarbala posted:

Despite the fact that I played and left WoW years ago, just knowing this is frustrating as hell.

I don't even give a poo poo if the factions still exist for ~story~ purposes, but it limits your options as a player and it's so loving frustrating to go:
1.) We hate each other! FOR REASONS!
2.) Gah gently caress you!
3.) Oh no the true enemy is here!
4.) We need to put aside our differences and defeat the true enemy!
5.) Yay we won!
6.) HEY THAT ONE PERSON WAS A BIT OF A FUCKWIT TO US!
7.) WAR!"

Every. Single. Expansion.

You think I'm being facetious, but that's literally what happened for like the last 4-5 expansions

One of the new Allied Races decides to join the Horde, even through both factions helped them tremendously, because on Alliance leader walked up to them and went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdKyirtAis
(Now I am being facetious :v:)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

The Vulpera, a fox race that was introduced in BFA.

I should state I'm enjoying FF14 despite those things I don't like

Okay that is a pretty cool race in WoW. I looked it up though and it requires doing a reputation grind, so WoW still remains on no touch mode (along with all blizzard games).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Okay that is a pretty cool race in WoW. I looked it up though and it requires doing a reputation grind, so WoW still remains on no touch mode (along with all blizzard games).

The unlock requirements aren't as bad now for 2 reasons
- In Shadowlands you can level anywhere (And levelling is super quick 1-50)
- They remove the exalted requirement

Basically you do a, relatively long, quest chain and you'll be able to unlock that that Race.
(It's still super dumb)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Ughhhhh I don't want to play WoW again but look at that fox!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I'm playing through the story of FF14 right now. I have played WoW since the end of Burning Crusade so as I'm playing FF14, I'm gonna be comparing it a lot to WoW. As far as the music goes so far for me personally, WoW has overwall WAY better zone music. Except for a handful of exceptions like Uldah, I really don't like the zone music in FF14. I'm doing Stormblood right now and so you spend a lot of time in a placed called Yanxia. And I HATE the music for that zone. It sounds like someone playing a recorder badly. I can't stand it. I think WoW just does zone music so much better and has overall better music in the zones. Like there hasn't been any zone music in FF14 that really hits me the way places like Howling Fjord, Jade Forest, Dazar'alor, etc, I'm not gonna name every zone

wows music is also generic and bad to me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Stux posted:

wows music is also generic and bad to me

okay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

just want to clarify bcos it seems you read it as "compared to other mmos" but i still think ff14 is the best mmo on every possible metric inclduing the music

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Ughhhhh I don't want to play WoW again but look at that fox!!!!

They added a FUCKLOAD of character customisation in Shadowlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RozrXjo6p0M

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A broken clock's right twice a day.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Infinitum posted:

They added a FUCKLOAD of character customisation in Shadowlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RozrXjo6p0M

The only customization I need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC7oUOUEEi4

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

WotLK had dope music I will fight people

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

I don't even give a poo poo if the factions still exist for ~story~ purposes, but it limits your options as a player and it's so loving frustrating to go:
1.) We hate each other! FOR REASONS!
2.) Gah gently caress you!
3.) Oh no the true enemy is here!
4.) We need to put aside our differences and defeat the true enemy!
5.) Yay we won!
6.) HEY THAT ONE PERSON WAS A BIT OF A FUCKWIT TO US!
7.) WAR!"

Every. Single. Expansion.

You think I'm being facetious, but that's literally what happened for like the last 4-5 expansions

One of the new Allied Races decides to join the Horde, even through both factions helped them tremendously, because on Alliance leader walked up to them and went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdKyirtAis
(Now I am being facetious :v:)

This is why I wish they'd just call it a day and sunset WoW. I used to scoff at the RTS purists who said that WoW ruined the Warcraft story, but having to keep a game's story going in perpetuity while also refusing to make any major changes to how the game works has resulted in crazy stagnation.

I doubt they'd ever do it now (and they've lost most of the talent they'd need to make it work anyway) but I'd love to see a Warcraft story set after WoW, after the foreverwar has stopped dominating the narrative. Either a Warcraft 4 or a WoW2 would give the story the shakeup it needs. I gave up any hope of that happening around the time WoD dropped and Blizzard decided it could recycle plot points and characters forever.

It doesn't help that they've systemically resolved/killed every narrative thread possible now, and the new ones they're coming up with are... Not good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've always said they should do War4, and a new WoW expansion at the same time.

Story beats play out in War 4, then are resolved in WoW.
The terrain of WoW would constantly shift based on the outcomes of MILLIONS of campaigns being compiled to show which way the plot should turn.

Designed by committee, except the players are the committee.
Actual agency (Gasp)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Well it's not called World of Peacecraft, now, is it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Like beyond saying whether you liked it or not, don't debate the quality of music imho (on this kind of forum anyway). Too many intangible components for it to be settled as something right or wrong, good or bad.

I'm reminded of that giant bomb GOTY show where they fast forward through some songs they've never heard, completely divorced of their context, to chin stroke about their quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ymgve posted:

Well it's not called World of Peacecraft, now, is it

The war between the Alliance and the Horde wasn't a thing until Warcraft 3, and not even really until WoW started.