Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am pretty sure it is not the case, but the terrible baseball man isn't seeing a cent from this rerelease, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

I am pretty sure it is not the case, but the terrible baseball man isn't seeing a cent from this rerelease, right?

Pretty sure the rights were completely bought out years ago.

Star Renegades is so goddamn fun. The battle system is complex but there’s so many things that go into turn order and status effects that you can power through a boss battle that looks completely unwinnable at first glance with all your team still alive. Massive Damage did a good job of having combat where all your attacks are interconnected in Spacebasw Halcyon 6 but this is a whole other level. Highly recommended if you like working out complicated battle systems and puzzling out combos that are super powerful. Kind of reminds me of Zeboyd’s Penny Arcade Episode 3 game like that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is it as repetitive and shallow as Halcyon 6? Like that game made a great like, first hour impression and then I realized that was it, that was the rest of the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it as repetitive and shallow as Halcyon 6? Like that game made a great like, first hour impression and then I realized that was it, that was the rest of the game.

I’m still on my first run (about two hours in) so I can’t comment on that, but it completely excised the busywork type stuff that H6 had and is built entirely around the battles, which I think works in its favor. You have the map, where you can look around and figure out what sectors you want to use your limited actions to move to (there’s things with health/armor regen and permanent boosts, bosses to kill for a ton of exp and a piece of gear, and money, and each one is a combat encounter), camping once you’ve used all your actions for a day (distribute buffs/heals/companionship points), and the combat. You’re basically always making a desicion so it’s way more engaging.

The bosses also have a Mordor style nemesis thing going on and I am extremely here for it.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
MHW Iceborne talk:

So what's the best weapon if you just want to have a blast purely by playing solo? My 1st time trying that game I've tried Hammer, and found that supposedly super fun combat is very slow and cumbersome, and pretty much uninstalled it immediately.

Then recently I've found that actually the weapon choice plays such a major role in your enjoyment of the game. So what's for me? Basically I'm looking for a combat experience similar to Sekiro pretty much.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m still on my first run (about two hours in)

Seconding this and am about the same distance in, but also the game just got added to Game Pass so give it a shot if you have that!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

srulz posted:

MHW Iceborne talk:

So what's the best weapon if you just want to have a blast purely by playing solo? My 1st time trying that game I've tried Hammer, and found that supposedly super fun combat is very slow and cumbersome, and pretty much uninstalled it immediately.

Then recently I've found that actually the weapon choice plays such a major role in your enjoyment of the game. So what's for me? Basically I'm looking for a combat experience similar to Sekiro pretty much.

If you just never want to stop attacking, Lance is the way to go.

It's not the fastest weapon (that'd probably be Dual Blades), but Lance gives zero fucks and you can just attack straight through monster attacks via Counters. It's also a good solo weapon cuz you're nearly immortal with it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Yami Fenrir posted:

If you just never want to stop attacking, Lance is the way to go.

It's not the fastest weapon (that'd probably be Dual Blades), but Lance gives zero fucks and you can just attack straight through monster attacks via Counters. It's also a good solo weapon cuz you're nearly immortal with it.

All the weapons are good in their own way, but Lance has arguably the most complete kit out of all of them. That said, my personal favorite is the Switch Axe and is also a great newbie weapon, with the Axe form being very maneuverable and the Sword form bringing the power and the explosions :torgue:

Do not use the Great Sword unless you are good at the game. You are not Cloud Strife with it, it is just a large sharp piece of metal that you lug around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Although that is really not all that different from Cloud Strife, when you get right down to it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just beat Paradise Killer. The game may not be Ace Attorney or Zero Escape good, but it gets pretty close. The entire conspiracy was a bit confusing and trial could have been more interactive but overall the game is great. It's very unique and I really enjoyed the hands off approach the game gave you. These titles typically treat the player like a baby as they won't let you progress until you find everything, but this game just straights Breath of the Wild's you as you can engage in the final trial whenever you feel like you have everything you need. Outside of Yuri Night (who I still got the conviction) and Doctor Doom Jazz I felt that I got all the evidence needed.

I really enjoyed the games themes and presentation and the gameplay was unique and good. At less $20 the game is a steal. They could have easily charged $30 for it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Feel like Great Sword is actually really good for newbies, it does 1 thing and does it really well you either learn the monsters or you get carted repeatedly.

Hammer is not slow or cumbersome when played well tbh, that said it sounds like you might like Longsword, very flashy, just a good time and not too hard to pick up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know about that. It's a simple weapon, but in a way, that makes it one of the hardest to master. It's not easy to use well and there are some pretty subtle tricks to getting the most out of it.

Hammer is probably better. It's simple and effective even at low levels of play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

srulz posted:

MHW Iceborne talk:

the game is way more slow paced than sekiro and will never play like that, although lance can cancel animation recovery into a counter block.

if you're talking about fun in general then it matters whether you're talking about the expansion content or not, since most monsters in HR are fine with any weapon and it's down to preference, while the gameplay changes in MR generally mean the "most fun" weapon just equals the "least frustrating" weapon, and that's usually LBG. but all things being equal, IG is my favorite weapon because you get flashy bitch animations, high mobility with your weapon drawn, and a vault which gives you an evasion option that no other weapon has.

e: on second read it looks like you're just starting out for the first time, and if that's the case the answer is just to try things out in the training area until you find something that feels decent to you. sword and shield, lance, hammer and dual blades are easier choices to learn. insect glaive, switch axe, hunting horn, longsword, gunlance, and bow are more complex but if they appeal to you then go for it. charge blade, greatsword and bowguns are weapons I would revisit once you're more familiar with the game in general.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 10, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the answer is just to try things out in the training area until you find something that feels decent to you.

Better suggestion: Repeatedly whoop on the first handful of monsters, up to and including Barroth, with all weapons you're interested in. Even several hundreds of hours in, this is how i learn to play with new weapons, by culling the easier monsters. In this way you'll have room to get smacked around without instantly dying, and you'll have more breath to learn combos. If something's interesting: start taking on harder monsters. There is absolutely zero rush or urgency in doing linear missions. Options and investigations are the lifeblood of this game and doing things repeatedly for parts is the nature of it. Use those moments to get more parts, more cash, and more experience.

The training area is good to get down specific combos, but the best way to learn how you work with a weapon is against living/moving(/fictional) targets that can hurt or kill you, because the largest factor in handling weapons is 'what you do when you're not attacking'. Usually dodging and evading, or getting hit and using potions to recover, which you want to minimize down the line.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

srulz posted:

MHW Iceborne talk:

If you want to feel cool blocking everything go Lance; if you want to clown on a monster with endless strikes and then nimbly dodge their attacks at the last second, go Dual Blades. But don't feel like you're locked into anything, especially early on. If a weapon starts to feel boring after a few monsters, just pick up something else.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Popping in less than sober at 1am to say that GuardLance is the proest way to play MHW. There's nothing like finishing a hard hunt with some other goons and being told they instinctively cringed each time you didn't flee from a monsters ultimate gently caress you attack and just blocked it for 0 damage.

No damage elder Teo hunt :whatup:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Man, lost on the very last phase(I assume) of the final boss on my first run in Star Renegades because the bomb was destroyed. Pretty sure I was going to barely pull off a win if it didn't die to aoe damage. It seems incredibly important to have a source of backline targeting disruption to prevent situations like that where you can't eat through the front enemies fast enough.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

srulz posted:

MHW Iceborne talk:

It's Hammer. Hammer is one of the fastest, most mobile weapons and fantastic for solo play.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

It's Hammer. Hammer is one of the fastest, most mobile weapons and fantastic for solo play.

It’s pretty awesome that legit everyone said something different lol.

I really need to dig into this game more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

It’s pretty awesome that legit everyone said something different lol.

I really need to dig into this game more.

My problem with MHW is that it definitely has a bit of a learning curve and I’m terrible at sticking with games for a long period of time. I get good, then some new game comes out and distracts me, I don’t play it for a while, and when I go back I’m terrible at it again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My problem with MHW is that it definitely has a bit of a learning curve and I’m terrible at sticking with games for a long period of time. I get good, then some new game comes out and distracts me, I don’t play it for a while, and when I go back I’m terrible at it again.

Oh I feel you. There are so many games I want to go back and play but I’ve forgotten so much.

You aren’t alone.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Every weapon in MHW is good, even the Longsword if you're not an rear end in a top hat

(Learn Lance and then upgrade to Gunlance, as they are the best)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you want to learn a Monster Hunter weapon, watch one of these tutorial videos. It is without a doubt the fastest way to get familiar with any weapon. Which weapon is best? The one that appeals to you personally. Every other answer is wrong.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The Bow in MHW has some of the best bow play i've ever seen in a video game. Side-stepping to avoid a monster's lunge with a salvo of arrows ready to place onto his torso is just fantastic. I feel like loving Hawkeye with the Bow setup

Blocking sounds with the lance is so meaty, i love it. Being able to just completely block a hit, seeing your character sliding from the sheer overwhelming force being contained, then you just walk up to the creature and hit him in the legs and teeth with the lance, just magical stuff

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fargin Icehole posted:

Blocking sounds with the lance is so meaty, i love it. Being able to just completely block a hit, seeing your character sliding from the sheer overwhelming force being contained

Better is if you get your guard skill to max, then also get offensive guard and get sick, satisfying flashes and attack boosts if you time the guards right. Some monsters you just end up as a one-person phalanx.

(Note, this is a gunlance)

(edit: Now with sound! I think you have to right click->show controls, and then unmute)
https://i.imgur.com/TyMKIgV.mp4

Sorry for helping with the MonHun spam, there's just so much to do that I can't help but indulge some of it. :sweatdrop:

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 10, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Here. Just watch this

It's silly but from my experience, he doesn't bend the truth too much for a laugh.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you want to learn a Monster Hunter weapon, watch one of these tutorial videos. It is without a doubt the fastest way to get familiar with any weapon. Which weapon is best? The one that appeals to you personally. Every other answer is wrong.

Irritated Goat posted:

Here. Just watch this

It's silly but from my experience, he doesn't bend the truth too much for a laugh.

Both Arekkz's and Jo's guides are great for going 'oh, this looks great!', but in my (quite short) experience with MH, weapons feel differently to use than to watch being used (and way different between practise/actual hunting), so my suggestion is:

Morter posted:

Better suggestion: Repeatedly whoop on the first handful of monsters, up to and including Barroth, with all weapons you're interested in.
Watch the guides, make a shortlist of stuff you think you'll like playing, then just go out and hunt poo poo with them. Don't be like me and spend an hour trying out a weapon in the practise area only to hate it as soon as I tried it in a real hunt.

/edit: tl;dr: Stop watching videos on how to play the game and just play the game. :v: (not calling anyone out, I just keep doing this poo poo myself)

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 10, 2020

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Just a quick PSA/recommendation:

If you thought that the auto-generated levels in Hexcells Infinite were too easy (they are), and haven't played the game recently, you owe yourself to go and check out the big update the developer released a couple of weeks ago.

Everything has been polished, with new menus and stuff, but most importantly, a new difficulty setting is now available on the auto-generated levels.

All levels are still solvable by using logic and deduction, but some of them sure have become tough now :)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

everyone keeps spelling insect glaive wrong

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

You're right, it's spelled insect lame.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This man speaks only truths. I didn't mention, you should probably only watch the videos after you've played with the weapon, decided you liked it and wanted to know more about it. If you just watch all the videos at once you wont retain anything (ask me how I know...)

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 10, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Every weapon in MHW is good, even the Longsword if you're not an rear end in a top hat

(Learn Lance and then downgrade to Gunlance, as they are the best)

ftfy

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

See above, peasant

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Orv posted:

You're right, it's spelled insect lame.

Yeah because the monsters are clinically lame after being destroyed by the glaive. Check, mate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shameful lack of respect for the exploding axe in here :mad:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I want to make a mention that playing MHW from the start can be a little awkward when you're getting a hang of the controls.

Speaking from experience, coming out of Dark Souls, picked a longsword when the game launched, I did not like the playstyle. Bounced back hard.

Took me around 4-6 months later to come back, decided to pick what was best suited to me and I logged in about 800 hours across PC and console. It's real easy to bounce off this game if you don't see what is right for you because the weapon itself defines your entire playstyle

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hey is Fanatical a legit seller or are they one of those shifty G2A-type sites?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hey is Fanatical a legit seller or are they one of those shifty G2A-type sites?

Fanatical is legit, you can trust pretty much every site that shows up on https://isthereanydeal.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Fanatical is legit, you can trust pretty much every site that shows up on https://isthereanydeal.com

Oh good, time to get Blood for cheap. :toot: