Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tsietisin posted:

Ooooohhhh... Naaaasssty....

The graphics with the face falling apart used to freak me the gently caress out.

The_Doctor posted:

Same, because the speed with which it fell apart when it was visible was way too fast. It meant the player would have been dead in about 20 seconds.

Me too. The heartbeat :ohdear:

The talking walls scared me a bit too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The wall awakens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aniipaJ4ayU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Did the different doors on Nightmare actually lead to different routes or was it an illusion of choice and the production company had lined up the same series of rooms/challenges no matter which doors were taken?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’d imagine like any decent D&D campaign they had branching paths.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
There were some interviews with the creators after the nostalgic YouTube reboot. I remember them saying that they used to write all the possible paths, then midway in realised that they could force the team onto a railroad.

They also deliberately picked on kids they found annoying and sent teams which were being too cautious into the 'conveyer belt with saws' room.

I'll try to find the links when I'm off mobile.

Edit: couldn't find it, but there are a lot on knightmare.com

Doubtful Guest fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 8, 2020

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

crispix posted:

They only showed the pilot last night and apparently they're not showing any more of the series on BBC2 - just iPlayer? Lol what are they doing :/

It's showing in double-bills on Fridays from the 18th.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tsietisin posted:

Kids will never know the joy of going to school and being part of the large group of people discussing the Knightmare episode yesterday where they actually WON!!

That show was drat stressful to a 11 year old.

That show was such bullshit. Three items on a table and you had to pick one. Dagger, an unknown potion, and a sock. Its a D&D setting, so you take the dagger.
Next room, OH poo poo YOU ARE NOW DEAD! You were meant to take the sock, to appease the green wall demon who for some reason loves socks.

Tsietisin posted:

The graphics with the face falling apart used to freak me the gently caress out.

I loved that, anything remotely CG back then had me wanting to see them. Even game show intros.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-DghzcgiE

SPASHAL AFFACTS :tviv:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Westminster is a cold blooded beast that stomps all over England and shits on Scotland?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Westminster? More like waste-monster :scotland:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nick Hancock and David Gower were on Celeb Antiques Roadtrip and it made me nostalgic for the late 90s comedy golden era. Hancock comes across as incredibly genuine in liking things. :unsmith:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I swear watching the intro to On the Record was what got me into politics.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Nick Hancock and David Gower were on Celeb Antiques Roadtrip and it made me nostalgic for the late 90s comedy golden era. Hancock comes across as incredibly genuine in liking things. :unsmith:

Wasn't Nick Hancock really hated by everyone for a while in the 90s?
Maybe misremembering it for someone else.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
RIP Diana Rigg. :smith: And I just finished watching all her Avengers episodes as well.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't Nick Hancock really hated by everyone for a while in the 90s?
Maybe misremembering it for someone else.

Are you thinking of Rory McGrath maybe? He’s apparently a complete arsehole.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Was he the one who wanted to be told some of the answers on QI?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goatface posted:

Was he the one who wanted to be told some of the answers on QI?

Theory is it was him or John Sessions. And wanted to know the questions in advance not the answers. I think at one point Fry gave a slightly sarcastic “well done that’s exactly what I’ve got written on my card” as well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

happyhippy posted:

That show was such bullshit. Three items on a table and you had to pick one. Dagger, an unknown potion, and a sock. Its a D&D setting, so you take the dagger.
Next room, OH poo poo YOU ARE NOW DEAD! You were meant to take the sock, to appease the green wall demon who for some reason loves socks.

Tsk. A 'blind' child has no use for a weapon. Besides, the items table was usually in the same room as the talking wall or some other riddle dispenser who would give you a hint as to which items to take, provided you answered all the riddles correctly.

Ultimately, I think Knightmare was trying to prepare its viewers and contestants for the harsh and cruel realities that awaited them. Treguard was just a campier Johnny Lawrence, arming his students to face the horrors of 2020 life.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Julio Cruz posted:

Lee Hurst is, I believe, full fash.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

That's who I was thinking of. They were on the same show back then, They Think its All Over.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I will attempt to confirm from a primary source which of the two it was.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

My friend says *both* of them asked and neither of them got them.

And then one of the two found a script, cheated, was rumbled, and then was never asked back again.

*screens behind both teams start flashing “LUVVIE ALARM”*

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 11, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh that is some top knowledge. Thanks to your friend!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Did I just put a long term rumour finally to bed? Feels good.

Edit: also says McGrath was a bit of a knob to work with and a bit too clever to ask back again, but also to be fair to him he wasn’t the only knob over the years

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 11, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

thehustler posted:

Did I just put a long term rumour finally to bed? Feels good.

Edit: also says McGrath was a bit of a knob to work with and a bit too clever to ask back again, but also be fair to him he wasn’t the only knob over the years

Oh yeah, it's been a persistent rumour for a decade

So good work!

"Stephen Fry posted:

"There's only one regular guest who always insists on seeing the questions beforehand and prepares for them. I won't tell you his or her name,"

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 11, 2020

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010
I had a mate who was on Knightmare and his team even won (the trophy took pride of place in a bar he worked at).
I remember video taping every episode when it was on some small cable channel 15 years ago, just to embarrass him.
I even did research and found more than one forum dedicate to Knightmare, and also found out his win was controversial cos they were given a shortcut.

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)
It would probably be better if QI did make more of the guests prepare. It got boring when they went too famous comedian heavy and they just make weak jokes around the topic instead of people able to contribute something interesting. That's why the podcast is so good, it's amusing people having done research and found out quite interesting things as opposed to funny people just being out of place.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Theory is it was him or John Sessions. And wanted to know the questions in advance not the answers. I think at one point Fry gave a slightly sarcastic “well done that’s exactly what I’ve got written on my card” as well.

Just to say as well this is an important point and one that I had confirmed: it was always questions that were asked for, never answers.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I remember being greatly annoyed by John Sessions, then looked him up to see he's a UKIP supporter to boot.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Her Dryer posted:

I remember being greatly annoyed by John Sessions, then looked him up to see he's a UKIP supporter to boot.

Cheating not entirely surprising, then.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/quiteinteresting/comments/1w8lp5/qi_cheating_panelist/cezy9yl?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

thehustler fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 11, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Her Dryer posted:

He's very much like Gyles Brandreth, that sort of old school tory that manages to be "eccentrically amusing".
They're both absolute poor hating shitheads.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Cringiest thing I’ve seen in a long time: episode 2 of Lodgers for Codgers (All4). Young black London poet/zero hours worker who literally sleeps on the floor goes to stay with an older couple in an immense £1.5m house complete with sparkly hottub. The woman immediately starts badgering this guy about why he doesn’t have a website or enough internet presence, constantly emphasises how poor and working class she used to be so she knows just what it’s like for him (an utter lie, she bought property at 19), and ends up reading her own Extremely White poem she wrote for him. Noooo

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Can't believe Lodgers for Codgers on all 4 is poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy49x-8lS4E

At least the Taskmaster promo for the new season is all kinds of good.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy49x-8lS4E

At least the Taskmaster promo for the new season is all kinds of good.

This looks pretty good. I've really enjoyed re-watching some of the old series during the past of months and I'm always interested to see the dynamics of the new cast. I think there has only ever been 1 or 2 weak series for me.

All the Taskmaster watching did lead down the rabbit hole of watching Greg Davies' clips on Youtube and his stand-up shows. I could listen to him tell stories for hours :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only just finished watching s9 as I needed to take some time out from the show for the last year or so, but I'm very hype for s10 for sure.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mr. Squishy posted:

Can't believe Lodgers for Codgers on all 4 is poo poo.

I saw the trailer for it. It made me sad :(

The BBC put BSG on starting at 00:20 last night lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Did anyone watch Des? Or Criminal UK season 2?
I thought Des was a bit flat, I don't really care about the polis who are investigating him, I'd rather learn more about him. I guess I thought it might be based on that biography of him? But nope.

Criminal UK is great and honestly the Kit Harrington episode I really want to know what message they wanted us to get from it. Really well done on all four episodes honestly.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Yeah I'm really digging Criminal UK. Never saw any of the other foreign language ones from the last series, but even though ACAB obviously, it's a great procedural.

Also, spent ages trying to place where I knew one of the police detectives from. Turns out it was Spaced..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bogmonster posted:

Yeah I'm really digging Criminal UK. Never saw any of the other foreign language ones from the last series, but even though ACAB obviously, it's a great procedural.

Also, spent ages trying to place where I knew one of the police detectives from. Turns out it was Spaced..

Haha I'd wondered that same thing and came to the same conclusion.

The german one especially is hands down better than the UK one and they're all worth watching. I'm kinda sad only UK has a season 2 honestly.