Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

or is that question just cringe 😂😂😂😂

That particular way of holding the phone with the screen facing the sky and talking into the bottom of it with the loudspeaker on *seemed* to coincide with the boom in reality TV. Quite often they'd have to capture both sides of a phone call, and the various ways of doing that properly (using special phones, clipping something to the phone, getting a film crew in to cover whoever's making the call) were much more annoying to set up than just putting it on speaker and floating a shotgun mic over the heads of the people on the phone. (Hence the phone being held at that weird angle).

I've got no idea if this is just coincidence but I want to believe that it's totally down to people watching that on TV and just internalising "oh yes, that's a reasonable way to hold a mobile phone, of course" and copying it. Like once enough people were doing it it just caught on and became a thing.

Edit: 48 is a mobile phone operator in Ireland and the international access code for Poland

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, I signed up weeks ago, was told someone would be in touch to schedule the appointment and.... nothing. Pity, I could use the cash (vouchers) right now!

Same. I registered a month ago, haven't heard a peep from them since.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I use my phone that way because for some reason iPhones have really really quiet phone speakers and I can’t hear poo poo without putting it on loudspeaker.

Then again I’m also pretty deaf owing to a combination of loud music and large calibre weaponry during my teen years

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Miftan posted:

Made it all the way to the Prager cameo before I had to close it. Only about half the things they said could be considered "jokes" meant to make people "laugh" and that's if I was being generous tbh

Hilary Ambivalence Syndrome is pretty good, mostly because they accidentally stumbled into a left-wring critique of Hilary.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Isomermaid posted:

That particular way of holding the phone with the screen facing the sky and talking into the bottom of it with the loudspeaker on *seemed* to coincide with the boom in reality TV. Quite often they'd have to capture both sides of a phone call, and the various ways of doing that properly (using special phones, clipping something to the phone, getting a film crew in to cover whoever's making the call) were much more annoying to set up than just putting it on speaker and floating a shotgun mic over the heads of the people on the phone. (Hence the phone being held at that weird angle).

I've got no idea if this is just coincidence but I want to believe that it's totally down to people watching that on TV and just internalising "oh yes, that's a reasonable way to hold a mobile phone, of course" and copying it. Like once enough people were doing it it just caught on and became a thing.

So I do this, not holding it, but if I'm calling anybody I like to be able to move around and not be tethered/holding my phone. The point where I'd not put it on speaker is if it was a really serious conversation that I wanted to very much focus on.. Otherwise I want to be able to put my phone in my pocket, run downstairs to grab something and keep up the conversation without having to switch back and forth or have the phone nailed to my ear

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

justcola posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

I do it if I don't have headphones in already and I'm on my own. I just hate having my phone up to my ear.

It also allows me to sneakily browse Twitter and forums while speaking to the GP or whoever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

blunt posted:

Yeeeeeees.

So like 15 years ago, actual Fox News started a comedy block to try and 'provide a conservative counterpoint' to Comedy Central's The Daily Show. It went pretty much exactly how you'd imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTwYBWUuZk

So bad that Fox News cancelled it after 17 weeks.

Quite impressive just how bad most of that was. Not even offensive, just bad.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

StarkingBarfish posted:

Same. I registered a month ago, haven't heard a peep from them since.

The girl who has me as her boyfriend is doing this. They've had the first test, there's a month of weekly tests, then it flips to once a month for a year.

They said allow two weeks for the vouchers which could be used all sorts of places, Amazon was the one she mentioned. Between her and the kids the money will pay for their Xmas.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

(I'm being nosey cos I'm Leicester alumni)

I thought account sharing was banned

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dennis prager is very funny if only in that he is indirectly responsible for prageru youtube edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG_Ue3t17l0

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The girl who has me as her boyfriend is doing this.
The wording of this incidentally leads to a wild and ongoing backstory you can keep up with in the shitposting thread. You probably shouldn't, but you can.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
wait there's a shitposting thread?

wait this isn't the shitposting thread?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are apparently UK threads in GBS and BYOB (and CSPAM I think too) so there are several which are nominally shitpostier than this one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the classy and intelligent thread where we post well sourced evidence and fire beans up our backsides.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

Not just young people, my mother does it all the time. I don't think she realizes. It was very interesting one afternoon when she received a highly agitated phone call from one of my siblings concerning another sibling with whom relations are not good and who had turned up unexpectedly and was sitting downstairs. Mum took the call in her bedroom, directly over the sitting room. We could all hear every word. Let's just say it did not improve relations!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

There are apparently UK threads in GBS and BYOB (and CSPAM I think too) so there are several which are nominally shitpostier than this one.

The BYOB one got moved to chat threads then GBS. Fair warning I started it and Jose is mod.

The CSPAM one I don't know about but is supposedly funnier and shitpostier.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

justcola posted:

I've often wondered this and the only conclusion I can come to is that "famous" people do it too and the youth like to copy them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I don't get the bus much these day but when I did my absolute favourite thing in the world was the young guy at the back playing music loudly through his phones mono speaker.

VVV
But that's in your own home yes? You're not sat on a park bench or in the office?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 10, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dead Goon posted:

I've often wondered this and the only conclusion I can come to is that "famous" people do it too and the youth like to copy them.

That's weird of you. I do it because I can hear better that way, and can quickly rest the phone on something if I need to use my hands, and there are no downsides.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Huh I never knew that "nuh uh, I had my fingers crossed!" was an actual cornerstone of English Law, glad the government is here to educate me!

A friend is from Goa and if you mention Suella Braverman, flies into an immediate rage about her and how she is a disgrace to the country (her father and/or grandfather was Goan). I think the only person that angers him more is Priti Patel but I can't test this as I haven't seen him in person for 6 months.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh dear me posted:

That's weird of you. I do it because I can hear better that way, and can quickly rest the phone on something if I need to use my hands, and there are no downsides.

Other than everybody in the vicinity being able to hear the conversation?

I have no desire to listen to you on the phone, let alone the person on the other end too!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mega Comrade posted:

But that's in your own home yes? You're not sat on a park bench or in the office?

My phone goes on speakerphone automatically, wherever, and I don't change it. If a call would be disruptive to people around me I just leave the room or keep it short, and I'd do just the same if people around could only hear my side of the conversation because that's just as disruptive I think, so what point would there be in holding my phone as if it were a landline?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The GBS thread is for discussing full English breakfasts and Jaffa cakes.

This thread is the same, except sometimes it gets spoiled with politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can theoretically use a phone quietly, and in the process treat the person on the other end to an impromptu ASMR session, but you can't do that if you're yelling at it through the speakerphone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

This is the classy and intelligent thread

purely by virtue of being minus one (1) particular poster

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Guavanaut posted:

This is the classy and intelligent thread

Oh dear me posted:

My phone goes on speakerphone automatically, wherever, and I don't change it.

Something wrong here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

purely by virtue of being minus one (1) particular poster

no this thread is the one i post in

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So the Attorney General has made a statement about the upcoming Brexit legislation.

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1304066214596153345?s=21

As has been pointed out by others, that if a First Year law student tried giving that definition of Dualisim, you’d fail them.

Totally normal for 2020.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was there ever an effort post in threads gone by about HS2?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

This is the classy and intelligent thread where we post well sourced evidence and fire beans up our backsides.

Up?! Oh man I've been doing this all wrong

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, yes, we could also fund someone to bash a random thread member's ballsack in with a mallet and that would have a greater possibility of actually increasing the sum total of human happiness.

100% if I am either the "random" thread member chosen OR the mallet wielder!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

100% if I am either the "random" thread member chosen OR the mallet wielder!

You can be looking in through a window shouting "YES! YES!"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Sicko

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

So the Attorney General has made a statement about the upcoming Brexit legislation.

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1304066214596153345?s=21

As has been pointed out by others, that if a First Year law student tried giving that definition of Dualisim, you’d fail them.

Totally normal for 2020.

I don't think anyone ever challenged if it was legal or not? Just that it's a loving terrible idea.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oo- er missus.
I need to know more about this. I was a Business Manager on our CLP FB page and am also my own Business Manager. I'm not linked to the CLP page anymore as I'm not in the party, but I might be linked to the branch page because I haven't managed to off-load that yet!
And people wonder why I delete all my posts, comments, unlike all my likes periodically.

I made a post on the support board about it and I will continue to see what kind of chain links my account to the phone (all I can think of is google accounts, but that shouldn't be possible IMO), it is really indefensible for the app to work like that regardless of how it's linked

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

bessantj posted:

I'm like an SCP but I always appear outside the windows of people doing BDSM

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm like an SCP but I always appear outside the windows of people doing BDSM

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I made a post on the support board about it and I will continue to see what kind of chain links my account to the phone (all I can think of is google accounts, but that shouldn't be possible IMO), it is really indefensible for the app to work like that regardless of how it's linked

I missed the first go round with this but I remember reading a similar problem where it boiled down to the fact that the FB account was a personal one that had been converted to an account for a business, rather than a business account being set up, and this being copied into the standard build. I don't think it's fixable without FB involvement, so probably best to keep the bean-blasting PMs to a minimum until it's fixed.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I like it when people hold their phones flat like they're carrying an invisible beverage, but then because it's a loud environment press the microphone end against their ear.

Also:

Guavanaut posted:

I think so, but it's telling that she can think of two stereotypical poor Black areas and would base the merits of BLM on that but would not base the merits of whiteness on Tile Hill..
It's even more telling that she can't. "a Birmingham suburb"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't think anyone ever challenged if it was legal or not? Just that it's a loving terrible idea.

Oh I know it's not Legal.
More that this was the best justification that the AG (whose job is to be the Government's Lawyer to give.) could give.

It's a stunningly bad description of what Duality for National/International Law means.

Like this is some "Wesley Snipe's Accountant" level of wrong.