Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it should totally have a modular system where you plug in the fast cpu when you’re working but then swap in the barometer when you’re on vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjoRMHyYQc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
unplug the speaker and plug in the microphone when it's your turn to talk in the meeting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

coke posted:

can you upgrade the soc to something like the 865+ and the modem to x55/x60? or 875 with the modem included? because upgrading other parts seems useless when you are tied down to a slow outdated cpu or radio with no local band support

upgrading is not really the point (and largely does not happen, the camera is likely a one-off occurrence), the modularity is just for repairability.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so i guess there is now a zte android phone where the front camera is entirely hidden behind the screen, no notch

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/zte-announces-the-worlds-first-phone-with-a-behind-the-screen-camera/

cool that the hell world now has a new feature to look forward to: anything with a screen could also be recording you

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

so i guess there is now a zte android phone where the front camera is entirely hidden behind the screen, no notch

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/zte-announces-the-worlds-first-phone-with-a-behind-the-screen-camera/

cool that the hell world now has a new feature to look forward to: anything with a screen could also be recording you

the xiaomi article explains the tech better cant wait for apple to invent it in five years which will then make it magical

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

simpler times, when a phone could be in a pad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

the xiaomi article explains the tech better cant wait for apple to invent it in five years which will then make it magical

crapple will avoid it entirely in favor of something worse just like under-screen fingerprint readers

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the camera is under the screen

the fingerprint reader is under the screen

the screen folds

this is the future liberals want

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
perhaps man has finally gone too far

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
him?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

each day we move closer to the light of jonys featureless white void

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

technology is slowly proving old crazy people right and i do not like this

LastInLine posted:

they patented something like that a few years ago in a 2011 filing and its received tweaks since

but thats a bit different from their 2007 filing and an 2004 filing with similar intentions

the oldest one is elaborate and proposes tiny cameras between pixels which sounds cool but like a pain to stick and process on systems at the time, while the 07 is similar to the 11 with a behind the display solution. now that sounds more like a bionic chip solution

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 4, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

glancing at the apple filings, the 07 one sounds the closest but is marked abandoned while the 11 sounds a bit like a cover for some other tech and the 04 sounds like a speculative future tech idea

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how to look at patent filings: engineers get paid to file patents. if you have an idea and it’s patentable, you write it up and then the lawyers translate it into nonsense patent language. if it gets filed, you get a few grand extra in your paycheck. the relationship to something being developed is tenuous at best.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

and technically you can't patent anything that's been on the market for over a year? I dunno I dont pay attention when im meeting with our lawyer. I get paid like a grand every bullshit idea we start the process on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can't patent stuff that is already publicly known. that is why the "patent pending" thing exists; if you come up with a good idea, you can file a provisional patent that sets the official registration date, then start production, and even if it takes a couple of years to get the patent granted you'll be protected from people stealing your idea.

or rather, you'll have the legal grounds to sue anyone who steals your idea. a lot of people forget that there is no patent enforcement unless the owner initiates it, and it's completely at the owner's expense (though you can extract legal fees if you win).

also you can totally patent stuff that is already publicly known, like say the rounded edge on an on-screen button, if you are apple and have a team of $5M-a-year lawyers on staff to stomp all over everyone else's intellectual property at a moment's notice

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

yes if your apple you can do whatever but imagine if your ceo wants to limit our applications to like 5 a year because it costs too much for him to file.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

how to look at patent filings: engineers get paid to file patents. if you have an idea and it’s patentable, you write it up and then the lawyers translate it into nonsense patent language. if it gets filed, you get a few grand extra in your paycheck. the relationship to something being developed is tenuous at best.

yeah, theres a lot of ideas floating around there with not much else, they could all be marked as speculative future tech ideas. more interesting to see someone take a similar idea and make it happen

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

power botton posted:

yes if your apple you can do whatever but imagine if your ceo wants to limit our applications to like 5 a year because it costs too much for him to file.

Sounds like you shouldn't bother filing any because it'd be too expensive to actually use them if anyone was infringing them anyway

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
does anyone actually have a solid answer on what happens to Play Music Family accounts? it currently includes youtube red (no ads, etc) and i'll give youtube music a shot if it means my family don't get subjected to ads. does this poo poo carry over?

google support doesn't say poo poo
google support doesn't say poo poo 2

reddit says yes

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
it worked for me. you have access to both music services. it's just prompting you to move your playlists and uploaded tracks and such from play music to youtube music.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

does anyone actually have a solid answer on what happens to Play Music Family accounts? it currently includes youtube red (no ads, etc) and i'll give youtube music a shot if it means my family don't get subjected to ads. does this poo poo carry over?

google support doesn't say poo poo
google support doesn't say poo poo 2

reddit says yes

its super complicated but ill try to explain it

you do nothing and everything stays exactly the way it was

if you want your uploads and playlists moved from gpm to ytm you push the button that does that

i know its tough to follow feel free to ask questions

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im asking specifically if ad-free youtube gets grandfathered over as part of the family account, rather than just ad-free youtube music.

also it's not do nothing and everything stays the same, GPM it says it's going away soon

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

im asking specifically if ad-free youtube gets grandfathered over as part of the family account, rather than just ad-free youtube music.

also it's not do nothing and everything stays the same, GPM it says it's going away soon

yes youtube premium is carried over

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

yeah the only thing that changes is gpm is replaced by ytm. the family subs all get the youtube premium (née youtube red)

they changed literally everything about it like the subscription tiers and all the names and but from the user side the only thing that changed is the music service got a shitload worse in every other aspect its the same thing it always was

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use the accessibility thing that disables touch on my entire iphone screen and just put my unlocked phone in my pocket when im walking or something in order to listen to stuff on you tube

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
youtube music now dog

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Imagine paying for a google service lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft’s $1400 dual screen android gets savagely reviewed by Joanna Stern. watch the video.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-surface-duo-review-two-screens-too-many-problems-11599742800

also, pop tarts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

even known microsoft fellators the verge gave it a 6

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why do they keep making stupid poo poo that obviously sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
android on 2 screens is still android

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

android on 2 screens is still android

it’s twice the android

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

twice as many clocks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

twice as many clocks
im seein' double here! four clocks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the verge review bends over backwards to justify it, even to the point of saying “the original surface sucked but by the time the surface pro 3 rolled around everyone loved it”

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Is this 2 screens thing purely due to some supply chain thing where 2x 5.5 screens + cheap hinges + 6 months dev work is like 1/3 the cost of a single 11 screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the verge review bends over backwards to justify it, even to the point of saying “the original surface sucked but by the time the surface pro 3 rolled around everyone loved it”
yeah all the reviews quickly shift into discussing the potential of the device and trying to imagine what future versions of it will look like, trying to move past the cold fact that this $1400 premium device is full of software bugs and has a camera that seemingly came from 2003 razr