Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The Kapool is for fools who don't understand true beauty. Now the Capule, that right there is a mobile suit that all others should aspire to be.

Counterargument: The Capule doesn't have a rocket punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course it isn't.

The Gaza-ley isn't a Kapool.

this is also acceptable.
although recently I've become a big fan of this guy

https://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/moon/ems-13.htm

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I like my stupid mobile suit designs to be aesthetically pleasing while they're stupid. The ZZ is a pile of poo poo that sucks in every conceivable way but I love it.

If you asked me to pick between the Ball and the Oggo I'd pick the Ball 100% of the time because it's adorable while also being useless whereas the Oggo looks like a random piece of scrap metal.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure 08th MS Team starts before units like the Dom were standard, but even if it didn't then the Luna Titanium still gives the units protection against Zakus and some weapons from other units that others aren't afforded, and that's still a pretty big deal since they mostly deal with Zakus in the early episodes if I recall.

Episode 1 has a televised speech by Gihren where he's in front of garmas giant portrait. Which means its post operation V but also the rg-79s seem like they've been there for a while.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

I like my stupid mobile suit designs to be aesthetically pleasing while they're stupid. The ZZ is a pile of poo poo that sucks in every conceivable way but I love it.

If you asked me to pick between the Ball and the Oggo I'd pick the Ball 100% of the time because it's adorable while also being useless whereas the Oggo looks like a random piece of scrap metal.

That's why I love the Oggo, even more so than the Ball it's the result of Zeon taking the most basic stuff they have on hand to create a viable weapon

Stairmaster posted:

Episode 1 has a televised speech by Gihren where he's in front of garmas giant portrait. Which means its post operation V but also the rg-79s seem like they've been there for a while.

Relatively recently they gave some expansion on where the Ground Type Gundams(and GM's) came from

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sanders was flying a prototype GM on a test run in the first episode when he was ambushed by Aina's Zaku testbed. They just hadn't rolled out the main GM line yet since those didn't see mass deployment until they got the sudden boon of the Gundam's learning computer data.

There were maybe 20 ground gundams, tops, with perhaps 40 ground GMs entering service during Operation Odessa. This is discounting the Blue Destiny 79G variants.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

I love the ZZ because it's such a fundamental misunderstanding of what the federation wants and Anaheim's desperate attempt to appeal to them. They made this huge machine that featues all these clashing systems just all shoved into it to be like "Take your pick and choose what you like!" And the federation just completely ignores it, points to the Zeta and goes "More of that, please."

Like... Kamille is actually one of the greatest MS designers of all time, as not only was the Zeta basically 'perfect' many would try and fail to replicate it but cheaper.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 10, 2020

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Onmi posted:

I love the ZZ because it's such a fundamental misunderstanding of what the federation wants and Anaheim's desperate attempt to appeal to them. They made this huge machine that featues all these clashing systems just all shoved into it to be like "Take your pick and choose what you like!" And the federation just completely ignores it, points to the Zeta and goes "More of that, please."

Like... Kamille is actually one of the greatest MS designers of all time, as not only was the Zeta basically 'perfect' many would try and fail to replicate it but cheaper.

I'm going through Zeta now, and it's hilarious how they treat the Zeta, the big midseason upgrade, initially. Kamille designs it in his spare time, and it's just built off-screen with little build up.

"Hey Kamille I'm saving you with that Gundam you designed."

"Oh neat." :geno:

Also, the ZZ being the Gundam equivalent of that Lamborghini SUV from the 80s. I love it too, and it's MS-sized Maglight beam sabers.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'll always appreciate Igloo 2 for actually sticking to how awful it is to be a grunt, rather than just a brief glimpse then back to ace pilot stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

I'll always appreciate Igloo 2 for actually sticking to how awful it is to be a grunt, rather than just a brief glimpse then back to ace pilot stuff.

The only thing good about Igloo (and the only place my opinion intersects with bees's) was the episode about the grunts hunting a Zaku with an ATGM. That was metal, and finally answered the question of what does the average doorkicker do when a six story tall tank shows up.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kanos posted:

The ZZ is a pile of poo poo that sucks in every conceivable way

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I tried watching IGLOO on my watch-through of all the main gundam series excluding SD, gunpla, and AGE, but it was too ugly for me to make it more than a few minutes.

I got to Thunderbolt today and it seems pretty great so far a few episodes in. After this is just Twilight AXIS and then I guess I'm done until Hathaway's flash comes out.

Thunderbolt shouldn't be watched in episodic format. The movies are the finished product, the OVAs are just chopped-up previews.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Also, if you read an American Civil War analogy onto the OYW, the Federation as the Union fits this theme: they were slow to start, but once the war machine ramped up they could mass produce way better gun(dam)s than the other team.

I think there is more drawn from the ACW than just the anology. The clothing of Zeon nobility for example often has the look of 19th century clothing worn by the social elite. Zeon military uniforms also seem to draw some inspiration from that era.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Burns posted:

I think there is more drawn from the ACW than just the anology. The clothing of Zeon nobility for example often has the look of 19th century clothing worn by the social elite. Zeon military uniforms also seem to draw some inspiration from that era.

The more obvious analogy remains Space WWII, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Specifically the Pacific War. Zeon might be Space Nazis visually but their structure is a pretty blatant parallel to Imperial Japan.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Not enough intra-service fratricide to be a perfect analogy for Imperial Japan, though.

Burns
May 10, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Not enough intra-service fratricide to be a perfect analogy for Imperial Japan, though.

🤨😐😐😃😃

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

You saw 08th MS Team right?

Or the M'quve storyline?

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

grassy gnoll posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Char didn't come there to kill Garma, he came there to laugh at him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Char didn't come there to kill Garma, he came there to laugh at him.

:hmmyes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my controversial gundam take from watching ibo is that i honestly dont have any problem with the turbines

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

my controversial gundam take from watching ibo is that i honestly dont have any problem with the turbines

My only real issue with it anymore is that they used a really stereotypical example of polyamory that has a very sordid history, at least in the West. I used to have a power dynamic issue with it as well (never gently caress your boss, they've already hosed you once :anarchists:), but ultimately this seems like a minor issue. On subsequent watches, I didn't really see any signs that there was any coercion for sex going on. Anyone who was with Naze did so of their own free will. Anyone who didn't just did their job and collected the paycheck (and maybe wasn't explicitly addressed on screen). And if/when you wanted to leave, you were free to go, as evidenced how they talk about Lafter.

It's just the one-guy-n-women polycule is really tired and played out in media, especially when paired with a sexist world--that's some Dominic Deegan level work right there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the main thing that sells it for me is that naze barely seems to really have the power in the relationship. like the girls are constantly teasing him, pushing him around, talking him into letting them do what they want, etc. he's not exactly 'whipped' or anything but its clear that if he ever did anything any of them didn't want they'd mutiny as a unit

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, I do think it's supposed to be not-great because the way their organisation is destroyed is a direct parallel of how Tekkadan collapse afterwards (there was never a reason for anyone except Naze and possibly Amida to end up anywhere remotely near that Gjallarhorn fleet other than cultish devotion), and because the Turbines' happy ending is that they end up being led by Azee, who's competent but not mega-charismatic and who rose from the ranks rather than just appointing herself as the guardian of a bunch of lost girls one day.

Sure, Naze doesn't coerce his women, but he doesn't stop them from developing a faith in him and his judgement that's so extreme that he can never live up to it, just like his student Orga does for Tekkadan.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 11, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah i dotn think theyre literally perfect textually, more just that people treat it as like, a flaw of the *show* but i dont really think it detracts from anything. its mildly off at worst

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Endorph posted:

Yeah of the problems often cited w/r/t IBO it's definitely the one I tend to just kind of shrug at when I see it. As you said, it's not a perfect aspect or anything, but nothing about it ever really pulled me out of the show or anything.

Also Amida was just extremely cool. Azee also. I really enjoyed putting the former in the Astaroth in Cross Rays.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love lafter a lot honestly, she gets some good lines and has a great design. wish she got a bit more to do but eh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the Hyakuri is extremely rad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

One interesting bit about the Turbines?

I read in an interview with Mari Okada that their dynamic was her decision. Other writers considered writing more "conventional" harem dynamics with infighting and arguing, but she went "No, they're a family, the women here all know the deal and they all get along pretty well." (Which lead to jokes that she didn't understand the appeal of a harem at all.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I read in an interview with Mari Okada that their dynamic was her decision. Other writers considered writing more "conventional" harem dynamics with infighting and arguing, but she went "No, they're a family, the women here all know the deal and they all get along pretty well." (Which lead to jokes that she didn't understand the appeal of a harem at all.)

mari okada saved this loving show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

If anything I'd say she understood the appeal better than any of them

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

If anything I'd say she understood the appeal better than any of them

Endorph posted:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's possible to think all the Turbines' relationship with Naze was a little weird and also that their relationships with each other were good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm not sure it would have been terrible without her, but considering she was the one who:

1) Spared Gaelio and made him a fleshed out main character after liking his VA's performance (which also kept Ein alive longer so Gaelio had someone to talk to, leading to the first season's final fight)

2) Made the Turbines a happy family instead of a squabbling mess

3) Saved most of Tekkadan at the end

4) Made Iok so awful in a way you believe in him as a person rather than a narrative tool

...Yeah, a lot of what works about Iron Blooded Orphans is very much to her credit.

(Amusingly enough, Shino and Yamagi's relationship wasn't her idea. If memory serves, an interview had someone joke that everything Tatsuyuki Nagai came up with was credited to Mari Okada, and everything Okada contributed had people assume it came from Nagai.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm still divided in whether saving most of tekkadan matched with the themes of s2 about overreaching to quickly and the consequences that come from it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I'm still divided in whether saving most of tekkadan matched with the themes of s2 about overreaching to quickly and the consequences that come from it.
most of the tekkadan characters who were saved were much more minor characters, and its clear not all of them led long, happy, healthy lives after (see: ride)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the themes are hit too hard by only a lot of Tekkadan dying instead of most of them dying.