Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/1303579944476438528?s=19

https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/1303579945894121473?s=19

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1303581898522923009?s=19

It's looking like Pixel 5s is possibly an old name.

Bramble (Pixel 4a 5G) was meant to be the real Pixel 5 or it was meant to be the Pixel 4a XL instead.

Either way, apparently the pandemic has really messed up things...or Google is just weird. Honestly it's probably both.

This is all incredibly interesting to me. It's kind of like a weird puzzle that will be solved...sometime this month or next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is all incredibly interesting to me. It's kind of like a weird puzzle that will be solved...sometime this month or next!

This. I'm fascinated by all the puzzling over Google's leaks, every year.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just happy because "bramble" always reminds me of Outer Wilds which was such a good game!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

This. I'm fascinated by all the puzzling over Google's leaks, every year.

Really? I've always found it bordering on tedium. I mean, I get why we want to know what's coming and when and what it will be like, and of course when I'm expecting to buy whatever it is I'm of course more curious, but I just find the whole "this commit here" and "this grainy image there" just to be so unsatisfying. The only time I found it not to be was when the Pixel 4 leaks started and Google just gave us official pictures and told us the headline features straight up. I knew whether to wait for it or get a 3a and that was that, it was such a relief.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Really? I've always found it bordering on tedium. I mean, I get why we want to know what's coming and when and what it will be like, and of course when I'm expecting to buy whatever it is I'm of course more curious, but I just find the whole "this commit here" and "this grainy image there" just to be so unsatisfying. The only time I found it not to be was when the Pixel 4 leaks started and Google just gave us official pictures and told us the headline features straight up. I knew whether to wait for it or get a 3a and that was that, it was such a relief.

It's obviously subjective. We don't have to both enjoy it. It's fine that you don't. I was just expressing that I do.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just got an email this morning that the Pixel 4a is available for preorder over here (France), delivery for the 15th of October. I don't need it since I still have my 3a, and I would want to have some more info on the Pixel 5 before ordering, but I do want something new and shiny - plus I'm afraid it will be out of stock, knowing Google's logistics :ohdear:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's obviously subjective. We don't have to both enjoy it. It's fine that you don't. I was just expressing that I do.

I wasn't attacking, I was expressing surprise that it could be enjoyed. Certainly not looking to kinkshame.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Since there is a lot of heat being generated even at low load, it is fully possible that you are suffering from a hardware defect in the CPU. It might no longer be correctly seated and the heat sinks might not be able to support it as they should. Many devices these days switch off when overheated to prevent further damage to the system. Depending on how old your phone is, this might be a warranty case. I would suggest looking that up first, before you do anything else.

This is highly unlikely. It's probably something along the lines of some hardware component being broken, leading to a driver spinning in a loop and burning up a core.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

b0lt posted:

This is highly unlikely. It's probably something along the lines of some hardware component being broken, leading to a driver spinning in a loop and burning up a core.
Yeah, as the OP reported a few posts ago, some further resettting seems to currently have it in a state where the overheating seems to be gone again. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue after all. I've just seen some very strange behaviour come from improperly seated CPUs, so it seemed like a reasonable possibility.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

smoobles posted:

Is it worth it to factory reset my Pixel 3 before installing 11?

As owls said, install the update and then reset to factory settings.

I did this and I didn't get the option to use Google One to restore data, it just used the regular restore option which works well enough.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I just realized it's a bit odd that my Pixel 3 with Android 11 still has an uninstallable Google Play Music installed. Maybe they'll remove it as part of a December/January feature drop?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Merkinman posted:

I just realized it's a bit odd that my Pixel 3 with Android 11 still has an uninstallable Google Play Music installed. Maybe they'll remove it as part of a December/January feature drop?

It still works on mine. You do get a pop up telling you it will switch off 'soon'

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

The Merkinman posted:

I still have Inbox installed :smith:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

effika posted:

I still have Inbox installed :smith:
Swipe to delete messages was the only feature inbox had that gmail didn't that I cared about and they made it part of gmail.

If I remember it right.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Tried the whole "Google an animal and you can view it in your room through the power off AR!" thing and it hardlocked and then rebooted my phone! Awesome!
Tried it a couple of times and it stopped crashing the whole phone but the strain of loading the 3D Model and placing it using AR seems to be to much for my poor old Pixel 3XL. It grinds to a halt after a couple of seconds and i have to force close the app. Gets nice and warm too!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Works fine on my regular-sized Pixel 3.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I know it's called a Surface Duo but this is a little ridiculous.

And yes, I really did only order one unit and was only charged as such.

No invoice was included with the package. However based on the weight printed on the shipping label, I was supposed to get a single unit but the label was placed on a box with two units. (The label says 1.8 lbs, the whole package weighs about 3.6 lbs.)

Now, should I be honest and return the second unit or flip it for a decent bit of cash?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had that happen once with a tablet I ordered. I just sold the second one to my roommate for cheap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Edward IV posted:

And yes, I really did only order one unit and was only charged as such.

No invoice was included with the package. However based on the weight printed on the shipping label, I was supposed to get a single unit but the label was placed on a box with two units. (The label says 1.8 lbs, the whole package weighs about 3.6 lbs.)

Now, should I be honest and return the second unit or flip it for a decent bit of cash?

I would hang onto it for a few months to make sure they don't realize what happened and then sell it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I would hang onto it for a few months to make sure they don't realize what happened and then sell it.

This, except I'd probably only wait like 4 days before saying gently caress it, selling it, and then playing dumb if they ever came knockin'

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They can't do anything about it unless you want to be nice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean its a phone, if there is any sense to it you would think a serial or IMEI or something would be tied to the order. In short, give it to me

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Please make sure that they didn't put each screen in it's own box.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

In the US (and probably anywhere else that matters) they have zero recourse to collect anything from you for their mistake and you have zero obligation to do anything other than keep it. Consumer protection laws. The universe handed you a win, karma doesn't exist.

Personally? I'd do a return on the one you paid for and send it back for a refund, while keeping one for yourself.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

owls or something posted:

In the US (and probably anywhere else that matters) they have zero recourse to collect anything from you for their mistake and you have zero obligation to do anything other than keep it. Consumer protection laws. The universe handed you a win, karma doesn't exist.

Personally? I'd do a return on the one you paid for and send it back for a refund, while keeping one for yourself.

I kinda like this idea.

Seems unethical...but I still kinda like it. haha

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I kinda like this idea.

Seems unethical...but I still kinda like it. haha

Nothing unethical about loving with a company.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So I didn’t see a Samsung specific thread so figured I’d ask here.

Is the front facing camera on the S20.... garbage? For lack of a better term.

I just got an S20 because I think the phone is gorgeous, and it has some features my current iPhone 11 Pro doesn’t have. The front facing camera seems horrible. It does some extreme skin smoothing, and also makes everyone look incredibly pale, to the point of looking sick. I’ve turned off beauty mode, turned off HDR, messed with pic temp and all that. No matter what all selfies look pale and fake. Is this just how Samsung does their front facing cameras? If so, I’m gonna have to stick with the 11 Pro, since I take an obscene amount of pictures of my kids.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The only thing I would be worried about this method is getting warranty or support. Now that I think about it, though, all of that should be tied to the device itself and not how or where I bought it. For all Microsoft knows, I could have bought another one for cheaper and returned that one. That's even an option as a reason for the return.

This may be the route I go since I'll get my full moneys worth, effectively giving me a free Duo, and it'll be slightly less hassle to ship back. Sorry for anyone who wanted one for a goon discount.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

END OF AN ERROR posted:

So I didn’t see a Samsung specific thread so figured I’d ask here.

Is the front facing camera on the S20.... garbage? For lack of a better term.

I just got an S20 because I think the phone is gorgeous, and it has some features my current iPhone 11 Pro doesn’t have. The front facing camera seems horrible. It does some extreme skin smoothing, and also makes everyone look incredibly pale, to the point of looking sick. I’ve turned off beauty mode, turned off HDR, messed with pic temp and all that. No matter what all selfies look pale and fake. Is this just how Samsung does their front facing cameras? If so, I’m gonna have to stick with the 11 Pro, since I take an obscene amount of pictures of my kids.

I do think that's the main complaint about Samsung cameras now, yeah. Last I saw anyone talk about it in a review, there was no way to turn it off. I think it's even like the FFC does a fine job if it doesn't detect a face.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Edward IV posted:

The only thing I would be worried about this method is getting warranty or support. Now that I think about it, though, all of that should be tied to the device itself and not how or where I bought it. For all Microsoft knows, I could have bought another one for cheaper and returned that one. That's even an option as a reason for the return.

This may be the route I go since I'll get my full moneys worth, effectively giving me a free Duo, and it'll be slightly less hassle to ship back. Sorry for anyone who wanted one for a goon discount.

You don't need a warranty on something that was free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is zero chance I would ever say anything about that. Win!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Send me the extra Duo in honour of me being such a steadfast reliable kindhearted benevolent mod of IYG.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Edward IV posted:

Did you check that it isn't just two 64GB models...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Agreed, honestly. :v:

Oh look Artem is having another weird problem with his Pixel.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/10/increasing-reports-of-pixel-3-and-pixel-3-xl-battery-swelling-damaging-phones/

https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/1292308350043004929

Except time it's maybe not just him? Reddit and Twitter alike are responding with yes, this is happening.

Some are claiming it's due to wireless charging overheating the battery. Some with the Pixel 4 XL also chiming in about it.

Anyone with the Pixel 3 / 3 XL having battery swelling problems?

Oh my God this is a real hashtag and I actually laughed out loud.

https://twitter.com/svmagus/status/1292456789016031232

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Artemsluck

Poor dude is VERY unlucky... Granted each time I personally bought a phone from Google, I had to RMA it. Got the Pixel 2 XL from a Redditor and then the Pixel 4 XL from Amazon, no issues so far (knock on plywood desk). Had the Nexus 4 from Google and had speaker crackling, had the Pixel 2 (non-XL) from Google and had speaker crackling, loose internals, and a REALLY bad luck with Google Support until they finally refunded me.

I hope Amazon has a green P5 because I will jump on that fast.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And that's why I splurged on the Preferred Care at the last minute on my Pixel 4a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone with the Pixel 3 / 3 XL having battery swelling problems?

LOL loving Artem. No, my mom and two friends both have the 3/3XL, and none of them are having issues.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm currently using a 3XL since launch and no issues for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just took the case off my 3 to check for bloat and I've got nothing, and I use the wireless charging almost exclusively.