Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

You gotta wonder what people like this were thinking. The selling has over 3000 auctions. You'd think they'd do a little research first.

I run into these all of the time looking at sold auctions though. Sadly I'm never the one that finds them when they are listed.

Especially since Ebay recommends a price in the BIN field.

Auctions like that are almost always gone with 2 hours. Sometimes they are gone within minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Funny you should choose that piece of art, since that exact painting was the inspiration for Lego's original palette back in the 60s

:aaa: it all makes sense now! It seemed way too coincidental hahahaha

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Just finished building 6986 Mission Commander. Despite being from the "build the entire rest of the owl" era of instructions it was still only a 90 minute build. This set was a long time coming- I used to stalk this one on ebay and get outbid every time. I feel like my trifecta of space capital ships is now complete between this, the Galactic Mediator and Deep Freeze Defender.

In contrast with such a quick build, Medieval Market Village took longer than I anticipated. With this set you can start to see how Lego was starting to head in its current direction of more complex builds but more simplified instructions. A few instances of built items hanging around not attached to studs which I always find odd. I can see why this one is a favorite, it's the last great Castle set before the theme was retired.

Tomorrow I will begin tackling the Downtown Diner. No rest for the wicked!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just saw the ad for City Main Square on the Lego website. That box is completely misleading as it implies there is a monorail train in the set but the tracks are just painted and you only realize when close up to the box.
It has a train and a platform but no track.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Hopper posted:

I just saw the ad for City Main Square on the Lego website. That box is completely misleading as it implies there is a monorail train in the set but the tracks are just painted and you only realize when close up to the box.
Yeah, it really only gets away with not having track because it's not a standalone train set. Even then, the packaging really would lead one to believe some kind of track is included, unless you're already a LEGO fan and know what track pieces to look out for (or look for the absence of). But if you're that kind of fan, I doubt you're buying this $200 6+ set. I bet more than a few parents and kids are gonna figure it out the hard way.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know if it's just because I saw the other shots of it first but it doesn't really give me that impression. I'm sure looking at the back of the box or the store page makes it pretty clear what you're getting?

In personal news: I may have started down a dangerous path: I ordered a Downtown Diner from Walmart's website since they had a few left at MSRP (and it's been out of stock on lego's site for a bit now.) I'm also tempted to grab Assembly Square since I believe that's the oldest modular still in print? But it's a bit more then I want to pay for right at this moment. I also kind of want corner garage and oh god I don't even really have a place to put the modulars....

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hopper posted:

Tell me about it. Great was my outrage when Barracuda Bay arrived without the tropical sunset, and don't even get me started on the geometric space backgrounds I've been cheated out of.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

In personal news: I may have started down a dangerous path: I ordered a Downtown Diner from Walmart's website since they had a few left at MSRP (and it's been out of stock on lego's site for a bit now.) I'm also tempted to grab Assembly Square since I believe that's the oldest modular still in print? But it's a bit more then I want to pay for right at this moment. I also kind of want corner garage and oh god I don't even really have a place to put the modulars....

Assembly Square is probably the best one they've made so far (it's the first one I bought). The out-of-print ones are insanely expensive so those are the only ones I'd consider getting a Yourwobb version (I did in fact for a fake Detective's Office to save about $300- we'll see how that goes if/when it arrives- if it's passable quality I'll grab the Green Grocer and Brick Bank, because at those prices how can I not). If like me you are an enjoyer and not a collector it's worth it imo because it would be great to be able to admire all of them, and if they are just going to get broken back down and put into storage then why spend the money on the real thing.

And yes, it is absolutely a dangerous path.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I'm okay passing on out of print modulars. I don't think I quite have a "gotta have them all" mentality but there certainly is a temptation to try to the in-print ones / get them going forward.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Tell me about it. Great was my outrage when Barracuda Bay arrived without the tropical sunset, and don't even get me started on the geometric space backgrounds I've been cheated out of.

I feel like there's a pretty noticeable difference given that trains typically go on tracks, and there's been multiple lego sets to that effect.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Speaking of which, though, I've absolutely contemplated making some sort of wireframe diorama box to photo spaceships in, inspired by your revisiting of that classic aesthetic

And I mentioned this in the discord, but my daughter pursued a campaign of entirely disassembling the wheeled vehicle I was working on, so I'm gonna have to wait until she's asleep for that challenge I guess

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

I don't know if it's just because I saw the other shots of it first but it doesn't really give me that impression. I'm sure looking at the back of the box or the store page makes it pretty clear what you're getting?

All very good choices! And hey, me neither... that’s what random shelf spaces are for. All mine are sprinkled throughout the house under the TV, on top of the piano, on top of the built-in, bookshelves, etc. I’m slowly migrating them to some dedicated shelves but I really just need a large finished basement or room to build out a city and go nuts with the trains.

But otherwise those are some of my favorite modular builds, and modulars are super addictive! Highly recommend

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Technically that's a tram :v:as indicated by the power connector on the roof which runs on rails as opposed to tracks- the question is, can that particular tram in that set go on Lego tracks? If so, that is probably more deceptive than if it couldn't- unless it resulted in you buying a set of tracks to go with it, then I'd be of the other mind again.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

You are reminding me I still need to finish Bricklinking my Green Grocer knockoff. Market Street is butt and doesn’t need purchased by anyone.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

djfooboo posted:

You are reminding me I still need to finish Bricklinking my Green Grocer knockoff. Market Street is butt and doesn’t need purchased by anyone.

It really is an ugly set. It also doesn’t really go with any of the other modulars from a build appearance standpoint. It looks like it’s from a different era of Lego entirely from even the Cafe Corner.

I like that the modulars are all different because that creates a more vibrant/realistic city when you put them together. But Market Street is just hard to look at. Truthfully I don’t care for most of them and am grateful for that since it’s money I don’t have to spend.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Cantina Purchasers for the VIP presale also get this Yoda lightsaber. https://www.promobricks.de/lego-yodas-lightsaber-vip-gwp/108499/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Scipiotik posted:

Cantina Purchasers for the VIP presale also get this Yoda lightsaber. https://www.promobricks.de/lego-yodas-lightsaber-vip-gwp/108499/

Which is almost definitely the start/testing the water for builable Lightsabers for all major characters.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
So I think I finally scored a deal. Just picked up a tub of all? 7 monster fighters sets in bags from some woman on local facebook market for..$100. I'll go through them later and post some pics if imgur wants to cooperate

And this is after my girlfriend bought me the sealed castle for my birthday for secondary price

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I finally bothered to call customer service and get my VIP points straight (I had one VIP number which I could draw from, and one into which my purchases were going, so I've accumulated a fair amount) in anticipation of buying the cantina so I guess I'm doing this!!!11

Captain Duvel posted:

So I think I finally scored a deal. Just picked up a tub of all? 7 monster fighters sets in bags from some woman on local facebook market for..$100. I'll go through them later and post some pics if imgur wants to cooperate

And this is after my girlfriend bought me the sealed castle for my birthday for secondary price

Hell yeah I pull mine out every Halloween, I don't have the plane or the train or (sadly) the haunted house, but I do have the rare target exclusive zombie set!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Assembly Square is probably the best one they've made so far (it's the first one I bought). The out-of-print ones are insanely expensive so those are the only ones I'd consider getting a Yourwobb version (I did in fact for a fake Detective's Office to save about $300- we'll see how that goes if/when it arrives- if it's passable quality I'll grab the Green Grocer and Brick Bank, because at those prices how can I not). If like me you are an enjoyer and not a collector it's worth it imo because it would be great to be able to admire all of them, and if they are just going to get broken back down and put into storage then why spend the money on the real thing.

And yes, it is absolutely a dangerous path.

I am probably going to sell my Lepin Green Grocer soon. It's actuall Green Grocer +. I substituted Lego parts to make it closer to original.

E: the Lepin one had the wrong baseplates, some figs were wrong, and when I pull it out I can look to see what else was changed. I know on CC and MS the doors are different. So on mine I bought the correct plates and fixed all the figs.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 10, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently built some Ikea Detolf shelves and wondering if you guys had suggestions on how to display minifigures. I have around 9 full series and wanted to display them tiered. The only ones I was able to find were custom made with bricks, but I wanted it made from either plexiglass or acrylic. Maybe having them made with actual bricks would be easier to move them around if needed? Links or suggestions?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I saw the box on my mobile device and the tram was running on elevated tracks, so that's definitely a very creative tram at best and misleading at worst.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

obi_ant posted:

I recently built some Ikea Detolf shelves and wondering if you guys had suggestions on how to display minifigures. I have around 9 full series and wanted to display them tiered. The only ones I was able to find were custom made with bricks, but I wanted it made from either plexiglass or acrylic. Maybe having them made with actual bricks would be easier to move them around if needed? Links or suggestions?

Tiered spice racks maybe?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I liked the Corner Garage, others seem less keen on it, but Assembly Square absolutely kicks rear end go for it

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The site is very careful to emphasize “trackless”.

If you look at the back of the box, it’s fairly clear too, but if you glance at it, might be in for a bad time.

But don’t listen to me. One of my earliest LEGO memories is crying when the baseplate I spent my “good in the store prize” on didn’t include the bricks to build the house it showed on the packaging. Four-year-old me didn’t have a great explanation when my mom asked where, exactly, I thought the bricks would fit in what I bought if I thought that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There was a set with a laser light brick that was advertised in the catalog with a visible red beam, and kid me was absolutely obsessed with trying to get it because I thought that was how it would really look.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Everyone: We want new monorail tracks!

Lego: We have monorail tracks at home

Monorail tracks at home:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who hasn't been tricked as a kid by misleading packaging? They have to know that kids have overactive imaginations, can't rationalize that well, and won't look carefully at packaging.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

obi_ant posted:

How about vertical tiers?

https://www.figuworld24.de/de/FiguT...serien-387.html

https://www.figuworld24.de/de/FiguTower---32/singletower/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Interesting product. Not too expensive considering how niche a market they target. Curious that the price is the same regardless of how large capacity they have

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ineptitude posted:

Interesting product. Not too expensive considering how niche a market they target. Curious that the price is the same regardless of how large capacity they have
They're the same size, just have different spacing.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Hey gang, is there any regular time they update the store after restocking? I don't want to miss out on the Nintendo again.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

GlenMR posted:

Hey gang, is there any regular time they update the store after restocking? I don't want to miss out on the Nintendo again.

No, not really.

Price point seems to have leaked for the batwing, 2300 pieces, $200. 3 minifigs, joker, batman and a mystery third. Releases before the holidays I guess. No new photos. I'm on the fence with this one, the batmobile might be my favorite build ever (that or barracuda bay).

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
The new Cantina looks good, but since I'm aiming to get the UCS Falcon this year, I'll probably just get the figures I really want (Imperial Spy, Devilronian and Ballchin-Man) off BL.

Maybe wait a while till a bunch of figure-less builds are for sale and snap one up for cheap.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Lego Sesame Street is starting to trickle out. https://www.instagram.com/p/CFApSLfpwLD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Rumor is only $120, which would suggest a dramatic shift from the submission which was modular size. Or the leak is wrong.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Scipiotik posted:

Lego Sesame Street is starting to trickle out. https://www.instagram.com/p/CFApSLfpwLD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Rumor is only $120, which would suggest a dramatic shift from the submission which was modular size. Or the leak is wrong.

Why is Elmo sporting tats?
I was in the area so I decided to pop by Legoland as they have the Miniland area open for viewing. I saw that they have a new Legoland exclusive set for the Ninjago area, but it’s a little underwhelming IMO.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scipiotik posted:

Hmmm I might want this

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I have significantly expanded my collection of purist custom Western minifigs to populate my saloon and any, uh, other buildings I may design. Sorted mostly by what theme their torsos came from, with some mistakes and omissions because I made mistakes and omissions.

The LEGO Movie. Not pictured: Hank Haystack. Had to skip a few I would have liked to use due to the robot skin tone visible on the torsos.

Various Adventurers subthemes, plus one from Indiana Jones.

CMFs. Not pictured: S1 Cowboy, S18 Cowboy Costume Guy

The Lone Ranger

Harry Potter

Speed Racer

City

Historical. Definitely the weakest of the lot, but drat, I need some more female representation here.

Indiana Jones

Misc: Monster Hunters, LOTR, Star Wars, Dr. Who, The LEGO Batman Movie, Studios

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scipiotik posted:

Oh I don’t hate that. And it’s roughly modular size too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Oh I didn't see tiered (or plexi/acrylic) before looking this up :doh:...but if you ever consider other options or anyone else thinking about minifig displays, there's this $8 Ikea shelf: Lustigt. I think the platforms can be placed arbitrarily so you could do uh, sideways/diagonal tiering or something perhaps.

Actually thought of just searching tiered acrylic display on Amazon (cause that'd seem like a common enough thing) and a bunch of stuff shows up that seems like it'd have potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I really like that last one. So many displays cram too much into a small area and it’s difficult to distinguish different parts of a scene. I think this restrained display of smaller things works a lot better.