Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neo Scavenger dev has dropped

Ostronauts

quote:

A noir spaceship-life sim, set in a solar system cut-off from a ravaged Earth. Design your one-of-a-kind spaceship. Hire crew with physical and emotional needs. Enjoy detailed ship control panels and interiors. Then manage your dysfunctional crew and ship as you fend off bankruptcy...or worse.

It's in EA and it looks REALLY good aaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

Hexcells Infinite big update
ty for headsup

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I've been having a great time with the Amalur Re-Reckoning. The new camera fixes exactly what I hated about the game when it was first released. I can now focus the camera out into the world from above my character's head and actually see what's going on.

Amalur is actually a really great game for scratching the big western RPG loop of:

1. Go to Village and gather up a ton of quests
2. Circle the zone and getting quests done, checking off items in your big To Do list one after the other
3. Returning to town with a great big green list of checkmarks and trading them all in for a shower of loot and rewards.

This game is basically crack for people who like that style of RPG. Yes it's kinda generic but most of the parts it's comprised of are done pretty well, and the combat is fun and solid which is rare for an RPG.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 10, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I see the Dead Rising series is on sale. Which one is the best one?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

2 Off The Record

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

So I've been having a great time with the Amalur Re-Reckoning.

Is there a reason to look into it if I already own the original? I haven't seen anything about substantial changes to the game, and the original still works fine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Get 2 and Off The Record. I like 2’s campaign more but Off The Record’s is still fun and the sandbox mode is cool.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Is there a reason to look into it if I already own the original? I haven't seen anything about substantial changes to the game, and the original still works fine.

I guess that will depend on what you value, but for me? Yes it's worth it.

The original game's camera was completely terrible and basically single-handedly ruined the game for me. It was, without hyperbole, easily the worst camera in any 3rd person game I've ever seen. The new version fixes that completely. You can even turn off the dumb rubber banding and smoothing thing the original camera used to do. The new camera feels like a fully modern, snappy MMO camera now. That alone is worth the price for me because I was fairly happy with the rest of the game. I'm not sure what the other changes are though, to be honest.

EDIT: Here's a link to an FAQ about the remaster from THQ Nordic: https://www.thqnordic.com/article/faq-kingdoms-amalur-re-reckoning

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 10, 2020

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Cinara posted:

Man, lost on the very last phase(I assume) of the final boss on my first run in Star Renegades because the bomb was destroyed. Pretty sure I was going to barely pull off a win if it didn't die to aoe damage. It seems incredibly important to have a source of backline targeting disruption to prevent situations like that where you can't eat through the front enemies fast enough.

Yeah, being able to hit the back line with pushbacks is super helpful. The Archon’s starting fast AOE is a a great round opener to buy your other classes time to use their own, slower disruptions. I ended up equipping my Valkyrie with a Reach weapon at the expense of damage, just so I could Sever any target and have a second good backline pushback besides the Rogue.

I ran with the Sniper and equipped him with a rifle that applied a high rank of the Rattled debuff (pushback increased by 75%) and the Rogue had an implant that increased his pushback effectiveness by 20 seconds. It was hilariously effective at disruption. Once the target had its shields stripped, I could also apply the Chilled debuff and the victim would typically only be able to attack once every 3 rounds.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ostronauts

I really enjoyed Neo Scavenger and this looks good. I might give it a little more time to develop before I grab it in EA, but if you do jump in, please give a trip report here!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

steinrokkan posted:

Straight from them:

quote:

What additional gemplay changes have been performed?

• Level lock has been removed
    The original game determined the level of a zone on first entering, this was stored in the save file. In Re-Reckoning we re-calculate the level every time entering or re-entering a level
  • New zone Level calculation
    The original game has all zones marked with a minimum and maximum level. on entering, the current player level was clamped into this minimum / maximum range and stored as level
    We now use the current difficulty level as a means to determine the level before clamping into the minimum / maximum range. On Casual difficulty, the player level is reduced a bit, on hard and very hard it is increased. We also increase the maximum values for hard and very hard difficulty
    The XP gain has been reduced to cater for the increased level of enemies and we made sure that XP is not increased when playing on harder difficulties due to the effect of beating higher level enemies
    The result is that you can still out-level zones – which is desirable if it doesn‘t happen too quick. It is part of the power fantasy to be able to come back to initial zones and be over powered – but out-leveling zones you play for the first time should only happen rarely
  • We also made the zone Level calculation easier to modify by modders (PC only)
  • Loot level lock of Containers removed
    Loot containers now only store their generated loot when they are opened while before they used to store it when entering a zone and were generated to the current player level
  • Loot generation was changed
    In Re-Reckoning loot generation rules are altered so that you will more often get items that fit your characters skillset. Loot is mostly randomly generated but we increased the weights of loot that matches the players skill lineup better and we have a virtual counter that increases the chance of better loot drops when you didn‘t find anything good

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/1304087578094841856

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Disgaea 4 dropped onto Steam with little fanfare. I imagine it'll be a little broken on release just like all NIS PC releases.

Edit: Oh, NOW there's a huge banner announcing NIS developer week. Also it seems Disgaea 4 is meant to have online features this time around, I imagine the AI-controlled PVP invasions, but they are set to "come after launch."

Det_no fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 10, 2020

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I would probably start with 2, although 1 is where all of the memes come from (and has the least obnoxious story). The problem with 1 is really just that the survivors are brain dead, so you have to do everything for them to keep them alive. Off the Record might be the best of the bunch overall, but they tuned a lot of things like survivor health and zombie density to make it much harder than 2. I replayed all three a couple years ago and still enjoyed all of them though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Morter posted:

Straight from them:
Level lock has been removed
The original game determined the level of a zone on first entering, this was stored in the save file. In Re-Reckoning we re-calculate the level every time entering or re-entering a level

Wow.

So after thinking about it for a while, I had exactly 2 major complaints about the original game and 1 nice-to-have feature that would have been cool. The two major complaints have been fixed.

My 1st major issue was with the camera, like I said above.
This has been fixed.

My 2nd major complaint was the level locking. In the first game, each zone had a possible level range all enemies could be scaled to. Entry zone was like 1-3, all connecting zones were like 2-6, etc. However, once you stepped foot in any zone, that's it, it locked to the closest level to your character for the rest of the game. So if you take your level 1 guy and run all around the world, those 2-6 level zones would lock to level 2 for the entire game. This was extremely lame for people like me who love to explore places they have no business being in the early game.
This issue has been fixed. No more level locking. That 2-6 zone will scale to level 2 when I first explore it at level 1, and when I come back at level 3, it will be level 3, then when I come back at level 10, it will be level 6!

The nice-to-have would have been weapon sheathing. Currently you can equip any two weapons at a time but you only ever see one on your person. It would have been nice to have "right hand equip" locations and "left hand equip" locations and for both weapons to be displayed on your character at once, either both sheathed or one in your hands and the other sheathed, etc. This would probably be quite difficult to actually do though because the game is said to be tough to mod and unless there's way more under the hood going on I don't know about, this would require new code.

That's basically it for my complaints about the original. Fixing two out of those three issues ain't really all that bad. It's definitely batting higher than the rest of the games in my "almost really liked but for X, Y, and Z but then devs came around and fixed those later" list.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 10, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
drat, I really didn't need a reason to go re-buy this game I never cared enough about to play all the way through the first time.

But now, I'm tempted. Thanks, forums. Getting free DLC I couldn't be bothered to buy also for some reason ups my interest.

Steam is a sickness.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Det_no posted:

Disgaea 4 dropped onto Steam with little fanfare. I imagine it'll be a little broken on release just like all NIS PC releases.

Edit: Oh, NOW there's a huge banner announcing NIS developer week. Also it seems Disgaea 4 is meant to have online features this time around, I imagine the AI-controlled PVP invasions, but they are set to "come after launch."

NIS should stop loving around with these disgaea games and release Soul Nomad & the World Eaters, their best game, on literally anything but ps2

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I have 2 games to give out, hombres.

Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition
Serial Cleaner

PM me for keyz!

tripwood fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 10, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Wow, these Ubisoft games are getting more and more realistic!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Det_no posted:

Disgaea 5 is also on Steam, has been for a while. When I played it, was stable, well-optimized and generally the same as every Disgaea before it, but slightly better. Recommended.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What are people's thoughts on Greedfall? Steam says it's like Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity 2, which is a pretty good recommendation.

Edit: Found the thread, which was five pages long, most of which was people saying it was janky and boring.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 10, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

If anyone has seen the Disgaea games and is umming and erring about them, I really reccomend. They are absolutely loving bonkers but just pure serotonin-inducing strategic fun... you can hop straight into Disgaea 5 which is basically the most refined and QoL-improved game of them all... it's not about the story, it's about the 400 different ways in which you can grind, mix up skills, experiment with classes, create insane game-breaking combos, etc. In fact the main story line, which goes up to level 100 is basically the tutorial for the postgame, where the numbers just get even bigger by a huge factor... level 9999 is only the beginning.

It's also a game you can keep installed and just dip in and out of on a lunch break, maybe experiment with some evilities or level an item even further, try out a new class, etc. Just a total playground. The earlier titles are basically the same with less content or features; most people reccomend the first only if you really enjoy the story since it has the best one of the lot. I think playing 1-5 would be a very daunting task. Easily one of my favorite games of all time regardless.

EDIT: Regarding certain reviews of Disgaea 5 missing some online features: that was a bad move of them to cut some of that out, but quite honestly the online features are like a marginal amount of the experience and you won't really miss it.

perc2 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 10, 2020

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews for Wasteland 3. Anybody put any time into this game? I never played 2 since I heard it was janky as hell but it sounds like they ironed out a lot of the issues? I'm downloading from Gamepass right now so I'll see for myself but I'm always interested in what folks have to say about it. Also, pretty happy to see that the Gamepass app lets you choose an install directory now. I haven't been using the service for the last few months but it seems like they are slowly but surely making it more user friendly and generally functional. Its a super weird feeling to have a pleasant interaction with a Microsoft service, I tell you what.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews for Wasteland 3. Anybody put any time into this game? I never played 2 since I heard it was janky as hell but it sounds like they ironed out a lot of the issues? I'm downloading from Gamepass right now so I'll see for myself but I'm always interested in what folks have to say about it. Also, pretty happy to see that the Gamepass app lets you choose an install directory now. I haven't been using the service for the last few months but it seems like they are slowly but surely making it more user friendly and generally functional. Its a super weird feeling to have a pleasant interaction with a Microsoft service, I tell you what.

I consider Wasteland 2 to be one of the worst games I've ever played fo any significant amount of time, but 3 is pretty good. The worst problem is poor optimization and long loading times, but the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and cleaned up.

Gort posted:

What are people's thoughts on Greedfall? Steam says it's like Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity 2, which is a pretty good recommendation.

Edit: Found the thread, which was five pages long, most of which was people saying it was janky and boring.

It's not bad, but it comes with the pedigree of being a Spiders game. I for one enjoy their distinct kind of jank, others don't.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It's enjoyable to play through but it's kind of sloppily made, lots of broken quest triggers, very long load times even on SSD. The combat is fun as far as modern CRPGs go but the writing and humor only punch a few inches above Borderlands quality. For a Gamepass game it's pretty good.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ostronauts

Seeing mixed reviews, but I really like the concept, so I hope it improves.

Edit: hahaha jesus gently caress, found two out of very few reviews so far that complain about the "woke problem" and whine about how the game has you pick pronouns.
Edit: I do think some negative reviews raise what might be legitimate points, but boy do I lose faith in reviews when anyone marks "wokeness" as being a negative point.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 10, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would like to performatively fire those people into the sun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

Edit: hahaha jesus gently caress, found two out of very few reviews so far that complain about the "woke problem" and whine about how the game has you pick pronouns.
Edit: I do think some negative reviews raise what might be legitimate points, but boy do I lose faith in reviews when anyone marks "wokeness" as being a negative point.

My opinion of it after fifteen minutes is that it's extremely, profoundly early access and I wouldn't pick it up yet, but I love what I'm seeing in it. So much potential, I want it.

As for the pronoun haters, gently caress them forever. For the record I'm a she/her and I hope the people who complain about this get fired into the sun.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the Disgaea 4 PC and the Vita version?
I'm too far in the game (both with the story and with the chara world grind) to just drop it and restart it on the PC, but I'm curious if there's any extra content that's not available on the Vita version.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Black Griffon posted:

agreed with above. extremely early access

I fired up the game, went into the ship editor. got a big warning that this could gently caress with the gameplay. ok, no problem. i just want to poke around inside of a ship before i do anything else

i'm presented with the void of space. ok? i'm trying to put some stuff down, see if i can just make a janky ship? apparently objects are being placed because i can mouse over them but i see nothing. so i quiet out and decide to roll a character

when i make a character, they instantly start dying due to vacuum. apparently by opening the ship editor first i deleted the ship used for chargen, even before i started a new character, and this brand new person i teleported into space instantly dies

anyway after quitting the game, deleting all existing saves, and rolling a new character, i got something going on. went through the pretty compelling character setup, and i've got a little basic pod to fly around. so i try to go to a derelict, but way overshoot it and fling myself into space as my batteries are dying. i do the emergency cheat to warp to a derelict and go poke around. while doing so the battery in my main ship dies and the lights, heat, and air go out. while fumbling around in the dark trying to replace the battery i think i tear a hole in the ship, or for some reason my character starts choking and i run back into the derelict, slamming the door. it appears that i left my helmet on the floor in the broken pod, so i'm hosed

seems like a pretty cool game but i've got no idea what's going on. i'll try again later tonight

e: yeah definite wishlist, but the game is so early access right now as to be a functionally unplayable alpha. neat concept though, like a gritty single player ss13

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 10, 2020

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

steinrokkan posted:

I consider Wasteland 2 to be one of the worst games I've ever played fo any significant amount of time, but 3 is pretty good. The worst problem is poor optimization and long loading times, but the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and cleaned up.

exquisite tea posted:

It's enjoyable to play through but it's kind of sloppily made, lots of broken quest triggers, very long load times even on SSD. The combat is fun as far as modern CRPGs go but the writing and humor only punch a few inches above Borderlands quality. For a Gamepass game it's pretty good.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind and manage expectations. SkillUp was gushing about it and, tbh, good turn-based crpg's are hard to come by so I'm hoping its fun. Its good to keep expectations realistic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Divinity original sin 2 definitive edition is on sale for 17.99, but when I go to the page it just shows as the base game? The versions with add-ons are much more expensive. I don't even see "definitive edition" listed on there. Is this an issue with the listing and the base game is now just the definitive addition and it hasn't been updated? Not sure whats going on here.

Edit: the add ons appear to just be swag/earlier divinity games. So safe to assuming just buying the game @17.99 is in fact the definitive edition?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 10, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Definitive Edition was basically just a patch applied to the base game that did a lot of rebalancing and story tweaks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Whoa, they made that Baldur's Gate 3? What credentials, I loved that game!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Whoa, they made that Baldur's Gate 3? What credentials, I loved that game!

You must pre-gather your accolades before venturing forth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Been playing more Kingdom of Amalur remaster today and yep, still love this dumb game. MMO quest style with some brawler game combos for fighters, some decent spells, and a sneak attack option for rogues with a ton of crafting stuff scratches the same itch it did in 2012. And it’s one of the first games to build in cheap and easy respeccibg so you don’t even have to choose for the whole game. The remaster comes with some fixes for level scaling and the like. It’s still definitely an older game and it’s not perfect, but it’s like a cheeseburger. It doesn’t have to be an all time great to be comfort food.

Just make sure VSync is on so you can actually pick locks. That bug didn’t get fixed.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

veni veni veni posted:

Divinity original sin 2 definitive edition is on sale for 17.99

Well poo poo, I can't buy that, I just recently bought another RPG*! :negative:

[*Kingdoms of Amalur: ReReckoning]

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just make sure VSync is on so you can actually pick locks. That bug didn’t get fixed.

They're actively taking bug reports, if you care to report it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The idea that not a single person who worked on the remaster for KoA played the original game so it's not laziness but simply that they didn't know the v-sync bug existed is for some reason extremely funny to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Definitive Edition was basically just a patch applied to the base game that did a lot of rebalancing and story tweaks.

excellent, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

perc2 posted:

EDIT: Regarding certain reviews of Disgaea 5 missing some online features: that was a bad move of them to cut some of that out, but quite honestly the online features are like a marginal amount of the experience and you won't really miss it.

You're right in that I doubt I would actually miss most of the online functionality that much, but the entire ride leading up to that launch was just such a clusterfuck of mysterious delays, the original demo launch that accidentally contained the full game (and apparently the online features, although not properly functional) and was subsequently pulled and lead to them delaying the game several more months somehow, followed by a release where only the day after launch did they reluctantly make a news post about the removal of the online features which "had been decided early in development". All while still selling it as "Disgaea 5 Complete".

They also had a second-wave demo launch that was available exclusively through limited key redemption on some site or another that I forget, and even getting the demo to launch was a laborious process involving updating like 6 different things and installing a video codec pack or some crap. By the time I actually got it to launch I was so worn out by the whole ordeal that there was no way in hell I was going to give them money for it. NIS's track record with PC releases isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.

I did enjoy Disgaea 1 but only so far as it took me to finish the campaign. I really cannot fathom the timesink involved in the Item World nor to what end one would pursue it. Then I tried Disgaea 2 when they ported that since I hear tell it has some good QoL improvements over the original, but couldn't get over my urge to stove every single character's head in with a cinderblock for long enough to play it past the first few levels. It's... a very polarizing series for me.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 10, 2020