Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ragtime All The Time posted:

what’s the outlook like for the Riverside fire? my parents are in a level 2 be ready to go zone right next to a level 3.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Edit: wrong thread!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Not to worry, the fires will be stopped once they run into the wastelands that already burned to ashes last year.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

we can just burn down and flood every biome equally so no one has to worry about moving somewhere else

just wait your turn to roast and/or drown

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lol it owns that our air quality site's needle doesn't go past 300, hell yeah

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Louisgod posted:

only 300 aqi, not good not bad

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Spoondick posted:

only 300 aqi, not good not bad

no, it's at ~400 right now, which means if it gets ~100 points worse it starts to be the same as perfect air

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Louisgod posted:

All hail needle

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/CALFIRE_ButteCo/status/1304100342280323072?s=19

get in the zone.... the north complex west zone

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Should be the Butte Fire

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Louisgod posted:

just burn some more poo poo so it warps back around

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

when cumshitter reaches 88mph

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/discordspies/status/1304071874289242112?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

We've entered... the Butte Zone

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There is a surveyor who went around naming things after his wife's tits so im waiting for a Mary's Nipples fire or whatever

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

most of the cities in the Great Lakes region are with the water to their east or north that isn't good sunset mechanics, guys

Salt Lake City knows what it's doing, OTOH

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh cool, last nights winds moved the bobcat fire several miles south. At least the air in Pomona is slightly cleaner

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Man Musk posted:

most of the cities in the Great Lakes region are with the water to their east or north that isn't good sunset mechanics, guys

Salt Lake City knows what it's doing, OTOH

Mackinac City with the 4d chess making sure it has a good view of the sunrise, sunset, and oil spilling out of the pipeline running under the straights

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Should be the Butte Fire

our buttes are always on fire

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
With all the fires really smoking the poo poo out of major population centers in the last couple of years, I wonder if there's already been any uptick in lung cancer/disease related deaths that can be tied back to smoke inhalation. We already know for sure that living in an area with pollution smog will cause huge upticks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Wisconsin is a somehow worse Illinois

just chiming that this is 1000% wrong outside Chicago proper

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

There is a surveyor who went around naming things after his wife's tits so im waiting for a Mary's Nipples fire or whatever

how many tits did his wife have

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If you want to move somewhere cheap with all 4 seasons, good outdoor recreation, and very little exposure to immediate climate devastation West Virginia has everything that the Midwest has and more.

There are only like 3 good places to live in the state but that's more than Indiana (zero), Ohio (zero), Michigan (one), Iowa (zero), Wisconsin (zero), and Minnesota (two). Plus you have hills and stuff instead of just boring flat land.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you want to move somewhere cheap with all 4 seasons, good outdoor recreation, and very little exposure to immediate climate devastation West Virginia has everything that the Midwest has and more.

There are only like 3 good places to live in the state but that's more than Indiana (zero), Ohio (zero), Michigan (one), Iowa (zero), Wisconsin (zero), and Minnesota (two). Plus you have hills and stuff instead of just boring flat land.

There are some pretty decent places in Michigan, not that I'm really an expert. Not everyone needs to live in a fun college town with 600 brew pubs (or whatever the hell the equivalent of that is in West Virginia).

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Vox Nihili posted:

There are some pretty decent places in Michigan, not that I'm really an expert. Not everyone needs to live in a fun college town with 600 brew pubs (or whatever the hell the equivalent of that is in West Virginia).

no they’re all bad. every one of them is a small town of like 50,000 boring blank people beside 2 highways.

At least you can go whitewater rafting and climbing in WV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Ohio is safe from floods

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Iron Crowned posted:

Ohio is safe from floods

Ohio is northern Florida with snow.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/PDocumentarians/status/1304147321207140352?s=20

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

no they’re all bad. every one of them is a small town of like 50,000 boring blank people beside 2 highways.

Hmmm

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Man Musk posted:

The trouble with being on the east side of a lake is lake-effect snow. (Ask anyone from Buffalo.)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

shooting the fires out, to own somebody

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

actionjackson posted:

how many tits did his wife have

I think he also moved onto nipples at some point as well. But be definitely did repeats.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

silicone thrills posted:

With all the fires really smoking the poo poo out of major population centers in the last couple of years, I wonder if there's already been any uptick in lung cancer/disease related deaths that can be tied back to smoke inhalation. We already know for sure that living in an area with pollution smog will cause huge upticks.

how quickly do you think lung cancer spreads? i mean in the future there's going to be people dead from the smoke but it's not going to be something you can tease out from the other lung stuff going around

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Powered Descent posted:

The trouble with being on the east side of a lake is lake-effect snow. (Ask anyone from Buffalo.)

I will bravely live in Buffalo and suffer the snow so that nobody else has to.

Speaking of, how IS Buffalo as a place to live, anyway? :v:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Relevant Tangent posted:

how quickly do you think lung cancer spreads? i mean in the future there's going to be people dead from the smoke but it's not going to be something you can tease out from the other lung stuff going around

I used to work for a cancer research center and it was pretty fascinating the amount of stuff they were able to work through on public health data tied back to zipcodes and such.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned cancer because yeah that would be in a few more years. Its more like COPD, asthma, etc right now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

silicone thrills posted:

I used to work for a cancer research center and it was pretty fascinating the amount of stuff they were able to work through on public health data tied back to zipcodes and such.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned cancer because yeah that would be in a few more years. Its more like COPD, asthma, etc right now.

yeah cancers are a particular tricky thing and is more "long-term exposure" and probably cumulative. smoking one cig isnt going to give you lung cancer (although entirely possible it could, just stupidly small and it would be hard to point to 40 years later going "ah my lung cancer was from that cig i smoked when i was 15") but doing pack a day for 30 years gives a very high probability. likewise smog, pollution, etc is similar. it is easily traced to astma and other respiratory distress over time but again just visitting a smogged city for a week isnt going to give you asthma or cancer, but living it for decades, especially being born into it, can, and at a high probability. likewise it'd be pretty hard to point to an wildfire event 5-40 years ago saying "yes this is why you have asthma / lung cancer" but certainly will exasperbate problems and will prob induce some damage

along with covid shredding lungs it'd be a fun wombo combo :toot:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Zarin posted:

I will bravely live in Buffalo and suffer the snow so that nobody else has to.

Speaking of, how IS Buffalo as a place to live, anyway? :v:
people have been trying to make it a "move here with our low cost of living, nyc citizens!" destination for ten years

there are no jobs or poorly paying jobs

a very weird place, but some good food and incredible people watching at one of the old timey italian restaurants

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Also coronavirus apparently because it spreads notably better when it can attach to pollutant particles.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

people have been trying to make it a "move here with our low cost of living, nyc citizens!" destination for ten years

there are no jobs or poorly paying jobs

a very weird place, but some good food and incredible people watching at one of the old timey italian restaurants

green bay is basically buffalo but our starting wage is around $15

also lol at that WV dude earlier who was saying the great lakes wasn't a good place to live https://public.tableau.com/profile/tamar.epner#!/vizhome/USdatavisualizationforweb/USSPIonlineviz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
to be completely fair, outside the insane fires we're seeing now, Oregon in general is a great place to live as we have great water, lots of local produce and rain a good part of the year. Maybe I'm being optimistic with thinking wildfires will die down after a good portion of the land is already burned but hey let me grab on to something to justify still living here, I need this