Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Oh yeah that’s one thing I forced out of my mind due to how angry it makes me. Melange is blue motherfuckers!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Oh yeah that’s one thing I forced out of my mind due to how angry it makes me. Melange is blue motherfuckers!!!!!

It's glowing fluorescent blue, but it's brown/orange

quote:

Guild Navigator Edric "swam in a container of orange gas [...] His tank's vents emitted a pale orange cloud rich with the smell of the geriatric spice, melange."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Motherfuckers it’s orange/ brown

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s only mentioned once or twice, but the solid is blue, the gas is orange.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've got an issue with his second post there, because Lawrence of Arabia, the movie, is also very much not a white savior story, even though it might appear to have gotten that reuputation in pop-cultural osmosis over time.

Lawrence of Arabia is a great loving movie. And it's on topic to talk about it because of deserts and Bedouin.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Just to head this off, whoever ends up being right must understand that Mr. Herbert was not always consistent from trilogy to trilogy. In themselves they are fine but put a 15 year gap in his writing and he just goes off memory mostly, it seems.

(also another reason I believe the Herbert Hoard is a bunch of bullshit)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
frank knew what he was doing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Randarkman posted:

I've got an issue with his second post there, because Lawrence of Arabia, the movie, is also very much not a white savior story, even though it might appear to have gotten that reuputation in pop-cultural osmosis over time.

Lawrence of Arabia is a great loving movie. And it's on topic to talk about it because of deserts and Bedouin.

it's also about the complicated legacy of a guy who's moved into hagiographical legend despite being deeply conflicted about what he's done. that said, i think he's talking about the actual legacy of te lawrence not just the movie

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
If people are doubtful Denis Villeneuve won’t get the subtext of the books, I invite everyone to watch one of his earlier movie: “Maelstrom”. The anti hero story in it shows me he has the capacity to get what the hero’s journey is and how to go against it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I chose to believe that spice’s color is the only input from the esteemed @duneauthor that got included in the movie.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Watched the trailer yesterday, some comments in random order:

-Caladan scenes look baller, the color palette/sets felt Giger-esque.

-I am not feeling the Gaius Helen Moiham. I think I am so connected with Lynch version when it comes to how Paul, GHM, and Emperor Shaddam look. Just like how Charles Dance is Tywin Lannister now in my head even reading the books.

-Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho is a no-go. I like him but he doesn't strike me as nimble and suave swordmaster of house Atreides. He looks like he would rather break dudes on his knew rather than taking them out with surgical kindjal strikes.

-I'm okay with Rabban but I cannot see beyond Drax when I look at Dave Bautista yet.

-Not much about Thufir Hawat, is he the guy holding a umbrella?

-"There is a Crusade coming". Yeah, I can't blame DV for this. The shot in the trailer when that line is spoken is goosebumps tho.

-I have a massive man-crush on Josh Brolin so it looks good, come @ me nerds t :mad:t

-Zendaya is, idk, does she even talk in the trailer beside saying Paul? I think all the fremen in trailer look like they have too much water in their body.

-Timothee Frenchsurname: I think he is way too young / young looking for this. Again, this might be how Lynch Paul is my default image of how Paul looks.

-The Sardoukar (?) troopers slowly and silently descending is :awesome:

-Eclipse rules

-Don't know about Oscar as Duke, works I guess.

When I first watched the trailer I was a bit :ohdear: but multiple watching made me feel more confident that this is going to be a good rear end movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul is really young in the first book

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Galewolf posted:

-Not much about Thufir Hawat, is he the guy holding a umbrella?

Thread signs point to yes.

euphronius posted:

Yep. He's about on par with Alexander age-to-conquest wise.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Paul is 15 in the first book and is said to look younger. Basically every scene with him up till he and Jessica join the Fremen is shaped by the fact that people think he’s just a kid. I love McLachlan’s Paul too but even Chalamet in some ways comes off as too adult.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yeah, that I know but then I might be remembering the movie and some previous artwork from other sources fitting the image in my mind.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Popoto posted:

If people are doubtful Denis Villeneuve won’t get the subtext of the books, I invite everyone to watch one of his earlier movie: “Maelstrom”. The anti hero story in it shows me he has the capacity to get what the hero’s journey is and how to go against it.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Villeneuve compared Paul's arc in the book to Michael Corleone in the Godfather. It's not necessarily the comparison I would make, but it's not a bad one at all. It conveys to me that he is probings some of the deeper themes of the book.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Come to think of it, Jason Momoa scored big time as more than half of the cast dies and his character survives thousands of years.

The very idea of having a God-Emperor of Dune movie is in my brain now.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I dont know posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Villeneuve compared Paul's arc in the book to Michael Corleone in the Godfather. It's not necessarily the comparison I would make, but it's not a bad one at all. It conveys to me that he is probings some of the deeper themes of the book.

the scene where mclusky hits michael but instead its paul and the baron and the baron hits him and then accidentally floats off his axis, bouncing comically of many surfaces screaming about young punks

e. vvv The acclaim was universal and most of my friends just repeated takes from the media. The funniest thing of all was that everyone claimed it would kick the old cartoon's rear end cause Bakshi was poo poo and then Fellowship was a loving shot-for-shot remake of the cartoon. People is dumb.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 10, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

All of this has had me wondering: what was the fanbase/online reaction as the first bits of costumes/design/etc were coming out for Fellowship of the Ring? I guess that would have been 99-00 so it'd be harder to dig up but does anyone remember? I mean it's nerd poo poo so I know the answer is "lots of people screaming (happy) and lots of people screaming (unhappy)" but still

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

All of this has had me wondering: what was the fanbase/online reaction as the first bits of costumes/design/etc were coming out for Fellowship of the Ring? I guess that would have been 99-00 so it'd be harder to dig up but does anyone remember? I mean it's nerd poo poo so I know the answer is "lots of people screaming (happy) and lots of people screaming (unhappy)" but still

Pretty sure everyone thought it was cool as hell

'lol nerd poo poo' wasn't really a thing in 2000, it was actually pretty weird and fresh

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

LOTR the books have a very specific look established by two artists, whom Jackson actually employed to do all the concept art for the movies. You can imagine the fanbase was ecstatic just by the sheer similarity of the movie to book art they've been looking at for decades.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ingmar terdman posted:

Look for the archives of theonering.net, a surprising amount of fannish crap about the movie hype is documented there

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've watched every nook and cranny of the extended special features at least once so I knew the care and craft that went in. Most of the nerd complaints on those movies are in the story (changes or distillations) so I guess it makes sense that pre-release stuff would go over well. There's gotta be someone that was mad that aragorn was wearing pants though. Flying in the face of bakshi

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Glorfindel got the shaft imo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

TK-42-1 posted:

Glorfindel got the shaft imo.

And Tom!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I don't know if the movie will have that scene but Feyd's arena fight and his thoughts when he thinks he got played against the Atreides soldier was one of my fave sections in the book.

Not too easy to reflect unless you have voiceovers in the movie like the Lynch one.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Galewolf posted:

-Timothee Frenchsurname: I think he is way too young / young looking for this. Again, this might be how Lynch Paul is my default image of how Paul looks.

I know they were roughly the same age, but Kyle MacLachlan looks like he was in his 30s in Dune. I never liked that casting.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I dont know posted:

So, Fremen are Sicilians? Checks out.

Is Alia Fredo?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

I know they were roughly the same age, but Kyle MacLachlan looks like he was in his 30s in Dune. I never liked that casting.

For me, he fits perfectly. Like I said, it's a personal thing and I think T-Cha is a good actor regardless.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

skasion posted:

Look for the archives of theonering.net, a surprising amount of fannish crap about the movie hype is documented there

I followed this site obsessively for years leading up the the LOTR movies and I would say that the hype for Dune is way lower key with much less of a fanboy attitude comparatively, though this could just be changes in what I read and internet attitudes. Also made me read up on what Harry Knowles has been up to recently and yeesh I am not surprised besides the fact that the dude hasn't keeled over and died.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I'll wait and judge in context

This poo poo looks cheap too (now) but also is frankly amazing in its own way:

man, I have a soft spot for the way the old shields look

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Good soup! posted:

man, I have a soft spot for the way the old shields look

I dunno about the rest but I think they still look good. With thr exception of the effects when blade and shield clashes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joke Miriam posted:

So, Fremen are Sicilians? Checks out.

Is Alia Fredo?
No because Alia is competent up until she gets possessed by the Baron. I'd say she's more Tom Hagen.

400+ missed posts and I read 'em all. Bi la kaifa.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 11, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's too bad GE doesnt really discuss Ghanima's post Children of Dune. She's doesn't do much in that book either of course despite being half the title

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The lynch shields got the deadening of sound/voice exactly right. They look a little goofy now but conceptually they were one of the most true to the book things.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I loved this, thanks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

[spoiler] [/url]

Lol

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The only things blue about spice is the eyes of ibad and the tincture i.e. the water of life. Harvested spice is orange.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Now that they're wearing masks, my next thing is gonna be a cOLorFuL seitch. If I don't see fabrics in eye-searingly rich red colors in the seitch, I'ma be disappointed. Rich colors, rich smells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah the palatte better be swapped for in-sietch scenes.

Also an annoyance: The bed in the trailer is clearly the bed in Arrakeen where the Hunter-Seeker is used. A couple of comments here and also on YouTube videos seem to think the bed is on caladan