Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did those New Warriors comics with Safe Space and Screen Time ever come out, or was that stuff scuttled before publication?

Hasn't come out. Hard to know how much is a result of the comic itself and how much is a result of the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
gently caress Beast

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

gently caress Beast

Lots of people take notes when reading Foucault, not many of those notes are "how can I make this even worse?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder how his "imprison everyone with Russian ties" would have worked out when he went for Magik. "Oh sure just gonna take in one of the Great Captains who literally doesn't put up with any poo poo and oh looks like I'm dead."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't understand...what we're trying to accomplish with Beast over in X-Force? Is it to just have him hit some sort of amorality rock bottom? And then what? Like is he just gonna keep on going "Look I know fascist surveillance states are controversial or whatever, but hear me out here..." and then everyone will just shrug and say, oh that wacky Hank McCoy at it again, such a silly billy. It's okay, the poor thing just doesn't understand.

And am I not understanding the story right or is it that he's seriously just accusing people of being traitors if they're Russian? Like that's the literal single reason?

Also, "traitorousness" is not a word! Just say "treachery!"

I wanna believe that there's a point to all this, but it also doesn't really feel subtle enough to have a point.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There are swaths of people right now, in the real world, accusing people of being Russian traitors without them even being Russian.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Dan Didio posted:

There are swaths of people right now, in the real world, accusing people of being Russian traitors without them even being Russian.

Beast is definitely the kind of person who gets all of his politics from The West Wing, right? He knows a lot of fancy words and he thinks that makes his opinions better than everybody else's. He believes that meritocracy is a thing that really exists, and that he has political power in Krakoa because he deserves it, not just because of his nepotistic relationship with one of the founders. He used to date the head of the Space CIA.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I reread HoxPox, then X-Men, and then X-Force. The pacing and consistency from the latter is so jarring from the two former. And most of it stems from Beast. Especially this last issue. You have russian intruders so your answer is to do a WW2- inspired internment camp to either scare everyone into submission or have someone rat others out?

It's like this story exists outside of the paradise that Krakoa is striving for. What mutant is going to see Beast's actions and respond "yep this is totally cool and normal....a good chunk of humanity hates us but let's immediately assume the problem comes from within.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's like the writers are doing a race to the bottom with Beast's character, which I felt has already been done before

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jonathan Hickman actually likes Beast, but this is the version of Beast he likes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really funny that beast thinks absolutely anyone in the universe would side with him over colossus. heck, i think even dark beast (who is probably still dead) has more friends than beast now. as soon as the urgency passes everyone involved is going to ask what the heck just happened and who is to blame.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

THere was also a nice bit in X-Factor that I liked, because I enjoy anybody pointing out that Krakoa is really kind of messed up, actually.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

When was the last time Beast wasn't written to be a total shitbag? When he was running around in space with his green-haired girlfriend?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

When was the last time Beast wasn't written to be a total shitbag? When he was running around in space with his green-haired girlfriend?

Pretty much, actually.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to see the council to dump Beast into the abyss and resurrect Dark Beast for a net improvement of morality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Wonder Man needs to visit Krakoa and sort him out.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's really funny that beast thinks absolutely anyone in the universe would side with him over colossus. heck, i think even dark beast (who is probably still dead) has more friends than beast now. as soon as the urgency passes everyone involved is going to ask what the heck just happened and who is to blame.
That's what I thought was wild when I read it. Of all the people when we saw that image, angel is maybe the only person who would side with him over colossus? If wolverine didn't slug beast, I assume nightcrawler and storm might have done worse.

edit: I can totally see this era of X-men ending with an event where Beast tries to destroy Krakoa because he's not on the quiet council.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 10, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It'd be great if Moira spends her last life successfully establishing a system to prevent the eradication of mutantdom by humans/robots only to realize that Hank loving suckkkkks.

I've been trying to put my finger on why I haven't been too keen on most of these books (Marauders and X-Men excluded), and it really goes back to Moira (who still hasn't appeared in any DoX books outside of the flashback in the Mystique issue of X-Men). The most intriguing thing HoX/PoX did for me was to establish Moira as the catalyst for all of this, and built the idea of Krakoa/mutant-unification around the idea of them always losing, about tech vs. mutants, etc. And outside of some of the X-Men issues, none of this has been touched. I get that part of the whole thing was just to establish a new status quo to allow new stories to be told, but... I don't give a poo poo about Otherworld or Wolverine fighting Dracula or the newest version of X-Force that's kinda just like the last 10 only with Jean involved for some reason. The Moira-related stuff is what got me hyped about all the new books and it's barely been touched.

Marauders being the exception because I just think it's been better executed than the other books.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It does feel strange that all of the "cyber-humans as mankind's answer to mutation" stuff basically hasn't come up since HoXPoX. Weren't we supposed to be getting a chimeras book before covid happened?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rochallor posted:

It does feel strange that all of the "cyber-humans as mankind's answer to mutation" stuff basically hasn't come up since HoXPoX.

There were a couple X-Men issues dealing with Orchis and Nimrod post-suicide mission but that's all I've seen.

Part of me thinks Hickman is doing a Claremont impression by bringing up things and then just ignoring them to make the plan look more long-term. A fewof the X-Men issues have been setup for- we hope- things to finish later and some of those things might be tied to the bigger HoX/PoX story (I'm thinking the Vault story?). But I have been a little frustrated with the all-setup-no-finish thing so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

It does feel strange that all of the "cyber-humans as mankind's answer to mutation" stuff basically hasn't come up since HoXPoX. Weren't we supposed to be getting a chimeras book before covid happened?

We were meant to be getting a Moira book at some point too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

Marauders being the exception because I just think it's been better executed than the other books.

I think that for sure Maruaders and X-Factor are the stand-outs. Excalibur is fun too but it doesn't feel especially based in finding interesting wrinkles of Hickman's premise.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

How Wonderful! posted:

I think that for sure Maruaders and X-Factor are the stand-outs. Excalibur is fun too but it doesn't feel especially based in finding interesting wrinkles of Hickman's premise.
Cable is stellar so far as well.

(untitled) X-Men can be hit or miss, but some of the hits are enormous. I would read an entire comic line of Magneto Eats Steak.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never expected to like teen cable so much (or at all), because all of his pre-hox appearances were just godawful.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone give me a primer on this stupid immortal Krakoa business? I sort of want to read Marauders after having read the first two books at one point, but I'm missing a bit of context and don't really want to bother with the other X-books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can someone give me a primer on this stupid immortal Krakoa business? I sort of want to read Marauders after having read the first two books at one point, but I'm missing a bit of context and don't really want to bother with the other X-books.

Read Houses of X and Powers of X to get the scoop, pretty sure the collected edition has them in the correct reading order or if you track down the issues every single issue has the reading order on the last page.

Xavier has a backup of every mutants brain that he updates weekly and can update at will if they're about to go on a dangerous mission, when someone dies they make a clone body and Xavier puts the most recent copy of their consciousness in it. Jean Grey and probably several other psychics can also do it in case Xavier is killed (which happened in the first issue of X-Force).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Moira MacTaggert has turned out to be a mutant herself with a very specific power set that involves reincarnation. She's gone through nine lives so far, has been told her 10th will be her last, and in every one so far, the mutant race has been killed out of existence at some point.

As a hail Mary in her last incarnation, she approaches Xavier. Now, the mutant race has assembled, regardless of ethical axis, on the living island of Krakoa. Here, they've used Krakoa's ecosystem to grow new drugs that give them a major export, established themselves as a new nation, and planted teleport gates all over the place that link the rest of the world and the moon with Krakoa.

Most importantly, through unifying five specific mutants' powers, they've figured out a way to overcome death. Any mutant who gets killed can be resurrected via the Five, although they're reverted to their most recent mental backup from Xavier, and there have been occasional hints that it's more like a perfect duplicate than actual resurrection.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All of the X-books right now are really good now that Fallen Angels is done. Though I'm not really liking Wolverine, others are.

House of X/Powers of X are worth the read to catch up on the new status quo. Lots of interesting things are happening and most comes from those series.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Moira MacTaggert has turned out to be a mutant herself with a very specific power set that involves reincarnation. She's gone through nine lives so far, has been told her 10th will be her last, and in every one so far, the mutant race has been killed out of existence at some point.

As a hail Mary in her last incarnation, she approaches Xavier. Now, the mutant race has assembled, regardless of ethical axis, on the living island of Krakoa. Here, they've used Krakoa's ecosystem to grow new drugs that give them a major export, established themselves as a new nation, and planted teleport gates all over the place that link the rest of the world and the moon with Krakoa.

Most importantly, through unifying five specific mutants' powers, they've figured out a way to overcome death. Any mutant who gets killed can be resurrected via the Five, although they're reverted to their most recent mental backup from Xavier, and there have been occasional hints that it's more like a perfect duplicate than actual resurrection.

Also, pretty much every mutant was invited to Krakoa. Even villains. Freaking Apocalypse is not only part of the same council team as Xavier and Magneto, he's also part of Excalibur.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Selene and the loving Shadow King are on Krakoa.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also they came up with this legit system for de-powered mutants to be mutants again.

All they have to do is face Apocalypse in combat and die.

Xavier ok’d this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, when this inevitably goes to poo poo and their society is destroyed, it's not going to be a great loss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Also, pretty much every mutant was invited to Krakoa. Even villains. Freaking Apocalypse is not only part of the same council team as Xavier and Magneto, he's also part of Excalibur.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also they came up with this legit system for de-powered mutants to be mutants again.

All they have to do is face Apocalypse in combat and die.

Xavier ok’d this.

Mulva posted:

Yeah, when this inevitably goes to poo poo and their society is destroyed, it's not going to be a great loss.

No, I think all of this is clearly fine and won't explode in an incredible way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, guaranteed resurrection is always such a weird plot point. And this will not hold. Sucks to be for the person who happens to be the first one where it doesn't work anymore.
"Oh yeah you totally get your powers back if you let Apocalypse kill you." *dies permanently*
But then again, a permanent death in the marvel universe is like a 2 month break.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Selene and the loving Shadow King are on Krakoa.

I'm sure Magma is super cool (ha ha ha) with the former. And Karma with the latter.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Man, guaranteed resurrection is always such a weird plot point. And this will not hold. Sucks to be for the person who happens to be the first one where it doesn't work anymore.
"Oh yeah you totally get your powers back if you let Apocalypse kill you." *dies permanently*
But then again, a permanent death in the marvel universe is like a 2 month break.

Death being a revolving door even before there was a plot device to resolve it is exactly why it ought to stick around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Theres 13 million Genoshans in line for resurection and there's a only a certain number they can do a day. The sword fight with Apocalypse just lets you skip the line.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As much as I enjoy overall the Krakoa stuff I still can't help but feel like my favorites have been sidelined for no great reason. Especially Jean post X-Men: Red.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I actually like that Hickman and the line as a whole are taking their time, planting plot seeds at a leisurely pace. I love all of it (except Fallen Angels) and I trust the writers at this point to blow up everything up at the coolest possible moment, when the build up is at the max.

Do we have a “Cyclops was Right” equivalent for pro-Krakoa partisans?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I don't think it's ever going to just fail on someone, but there's definitely going to be someone who wasn't actually dead but got "resurrected" anyway. That already kinda happened in the Empyre tie-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I don't think it's ever going to just fail on someone, but there's definitely going to be someone who wasn't actually dead but got "resurrected" anyway. That already kinda happened in the Empyre tie-in.

the "just fail" thing also happened with Kitty Kate in Marauders , but they got past it.