Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Carbon Monoxide detector?

i disabled all those to stop 5g signals

i think of demons posted:

If you are very anxious it is easy to interpret marginal stimuli as information that plays into your anxieties, and it may be as simple as that, especially if you are sleep-deprived. You should absolutely speak to a doctor, but unless you are having other substantial problems it's premature to assume that you are losing touch with reality or anything like that.

okay that's a little reassuring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

for the last 6 months I've had to check in on myself physically every night to see if I'm clenching my jaw/sucking on my cheeks. then I have to move down to see if my shoulders are hunched or legs tensed. Then I do it 4 or 5 more times before im somewhat relaxed. id really like to be calm and ok

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Eat This Glob posted:

for the last 6 months I've had to check in on myself physically every night to see if I'm clenching my jaw/sucking on my cheeks. then I have to move down to see if my shoulders are hunched or legs tensed. Then I do it 4 or 5 more times before im somewhat relaxed. id really like to be calm and ok

That seems like a non-destructive self-soothing method that is working for you right now and I'm glad you're employing it properly. I hope in the future you are able to shed some of that energy so you can be calm and ok.

Raine posted:

accept that everything will get worse and everyone will die along with the earth

and u can only be pleasantly surprised!

this is my personal life hack

I'm not sure how much of this is a joke or not but millenials and zoomers need to accept the fact that our birthright as humans and citizens has been stolen from us. The generation before us has raped the earth and taken much of our adulthood (and childhood) away from us. BUT as dirty leftists we see through the veil and we are actually well-positioned to inherent what's left of society mentally/culturally/immaterially when enough boomers die and I do hope enough leftists see that and are ready for it, because it is coming. I don't mean a violent revolution or apocalypse, as I don't think either of those will happen, but the begrudging and angry passing of the torch to our generation. My hope is that enough left leaning (not libs) people are in a position mentally to run with that cultural torch once we get a hold of it.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Sep 10, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ty thehandtruck!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Carbon Monoxide detector?

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but it might legit be worth a check

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but it might legit be worth a check

Nope, not joking. Carbon Monoxide can gently caress your perception up before it kills you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my university is doing a virtual job fair through an app this year; which means the app won't let me talk to people that need a 3.0 GPA because you can't say "I only have a 2.8 since I failed out six years ago" to a computer. not a huge problem since its not like I'm graduating into a depression during a pandemic

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

thou shalt not make a machine in the image of a human mind

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I've finally reached a kind of stasis since my breakdown. I'm sleeping in until 12 during work days, but I'm getting everything done and they're happy with me, so I'm okay with that.

Stuff still sucks out there, but I'm able to get through the day normally without every hour being agony. It's nice finally having the right med combo.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Chokes McGee posted:

I've finally reached a kind of stasis since my breakdown. I'm sleeping in until 12 during work days, but I'm getting everything done and they're happy with me, so I'm okay with that.

Stuff still sucks out there, but I'm able to get through the day normally without every hour being agony. It's nice finally having the right med combo.

:hfive: Glad to hear you're doing better! What medication cocktail did you settle on, bipolar 2 buddy? I'm tired of having borderline Alzheimer's memory problems from the wombo combo of ADHD+Lamictal

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm about to begin Prozac. Wish me luck with my boners. Not that I have use of them...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

No. 6 posted:

I'm about to begin Prozac. Wish me luck with my boners. Not that I have use of them...

I am sure your doctor went over this with you, but please be careful not to mix alcohol with an SSRI. I suffered a pretty terrifying seizure due to this interaction in March and I'm still recovering from the subsequent fall injury. My doctor didn't really care to mention any of that to me, but not reading the medication warnings carefully is on me, not on lovely South Florida doctors.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

But I can still go hog wild on the bong, right?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

No. 6 posted:

But I can still go hog wild on the bong, right?

If anything, the seizure-threshold lowering effect of the SSRI might be negated or decreased by the right strain. Funnily enough, the day preceding the early-morning seizure, I'd been so hungover I abstained from smoking at all.

I've chosen to drop the medication and the alcohol entirely, though, so I didn't seek any professional advice on just that question.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

No. 6 posted:

volcel crew, hell yeah

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

No. 6 posted:

Boners are overrated!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

also ymmv my problem wasn't that i couldn't get a boner, but that i couldn't finish. it was fun the first few times, but the wife can only take so much for so long and quickies are still kinda nice when you just wanna bang and get back to mindless tv

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just took my first pill. If I cared, I'd rub a quick one out. Sadly I'm already too depressed to care.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's likely that you won't really notice much of a difference right away. It might be helpful to keep a small 'journal' of sorts of your emotional reactions. I don't know if it's the same for you but I have a pretty good idea of when it's in the driver's seat and I'm not and I was able to document a reduction in my inappropriate emotional reactions (mostly crying when it wasn't appropriate, or crying more than appropriate at like, a commercial or something) as the medicine set in over a week or so.

I hope you have better luck than I did!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Well I need to do something. I bought a shotgun recently with poor intentions, then chickened out and cancelled the order the next day.

I also just let my issues push out the first person I've felt anything for in years.

A human disaster

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Both the effects and the timelines for experiencing them with SSRI's vary a great deal among people, and among different drugs within the same classification. Often, the initial side effects with regard to libido and erectile function will lessen in intensity over time, or be less prominent with another SSRI if this one is untenable long-term.

Be mindful of the drug interaction warnings, while seizures from drinking on an SSRI as reported by Marx Was A Lib are relatively rare, the effects of alcohol will be both intensified and potentially much worse for your mood; once you've been on for a while and are stable, having some drinks probably won't hurt you, just don't get drunk early on. Weed experiences will also be impacted, though far less so.

Marx Was A Lib's advice of keeping a journal is excellent and would be a positive thing for you to do if you have the energy.

You've already taken the first step, just keep going. While it doesn't become easy, it can and will become better if you keep moving forward, however slowly, and get back up when you stumble.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Unsinkabear posted:

:hfive: Glad to hear you're doing better! What medication cocktail did you settle on, bipolar 2 buddy? I'm tired of having borderline Alzheimer's memory problems from the wombo combo of ADHD+Lamictal

Sertraline, lamictal, and deplin has always been the go to. The trick is anxiety, which we're using propanol and gabapentin. So much gabapentin.

Dick Trauma posted:

Boners are overrated!

rude doxxing me like that

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I remember when I was in high school or early in college I read about vivisection. I had this mental image of thinking about my own existence, dissecting myself and passing a point where it would no longer be possible to stitch myself back together. It's been more than a decade since. Most nights this seems like vapid teenage angst and I roll my eyes at myself. Sometimes it doesn't.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

No. 6 posted:

Well I need to do something. I bought a shotgun recently with poor intentions, then chickened out and cancelled the order the next day.

I also just let my issues push out the first person I've felt anything for in years.

A human disaster

Im glad you chickened out and I dont think that makes you a coward.

My PMs are open if you want someone to talk to privately ever. Im normally online every day. <3

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
My mental health has not been good this year 🙃

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

err posted:

My mental health has not been good this year 🙃

Oh man, same. I felt like I was adjusting to quarantine somewhat okay at least. I'd go for daily walks and while touching trees or grass visualize pouring out some excess/unprocessed energy into the Earth. Then the fires hit and I can't even do that. Just literally inside all day and night. The forecast for my city is actually "Smoke", which I thought was a joke at first but sure enough, Smoke! (sung to the tune of Jeb!/Vote!). Therapy has helped, but man have I been enjoying just going for a drive with loud music and just screaming/crying out the lyrics. Feels so loving good to get it all out.

A few months into covid my parents and I started family therapy, which is a modality I want to work in but haven't experienced yet, on either side. I figured what the hell this'll be good for me to see and do and we thought oh sure might as well since we have the time.... It's easily the most mentally "unhealthy" I've felt since I was a teenager when I ran away from home permanently. I couldn't believe how potent each session could be compared to individual therapy.

But, I've gotten a lot closer to my kitty. He is dumb and tubby and I love him so much. He had some medical trauma when he was young and doesn't feel safe around anyone but me basically. If I look at him he starts purring and doesn't stop for hours. If there are any cats up for rescue in your area, go for it. He's one of my best friends.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Put me in the 2020 bad mental health bucket as well. I think I've been so stressed out and for so long, it's just my default state now. I'm working full time, going to school full time, and the primary care-taker for my husband (in his late 30s, he has early-onset Alzheimers currently affecting his short term memory and executive functioning skills, I've discussed this in other threads). The only me-time I get these days is when I go running, but I can't do that right now with the smoke and gyms aren't safe/open, so I'm feeling like poo poo being unable to exercise. We also used to go to boxing a couple nights a week (drills only for my husband), which was a good exercise and social outlet, but that's currently off the table. I also used to enjoy going out to lunch by myself once a week as a treat, and you can make fun of me for being an entitled American about that, but it was so loving nice to just order something and have someone else take care of everything, while I could just sit there and read a book for an hour. I have to be in control of everything in my life one hundred percent of the time and I have to be pragmatic and emotionally stable because my husband can't do it right now, or maybe ever again. I wish my family was more supportive. I can handle my parents being chuds because at least they care, but my little brother has turned into a paranoid chud psychopath that I honestly never want to see again and it's loving me up because we used to be close. My husband's mom, his only remaining family member, thinks that demons cause health issues so praying and also taking MLM-scam vegetable pills will help, so, you know, super supportive poo poo all around.

Anyway, I'm still taking lexapro and it helps with the chest pains I used to get, so that's good.

Sorry for complaining. If I could just go for a run I think I'd immediately feel a lot better.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I desperately need to unfuck my habitat, but can't for the life of me find the motivation/energy/lack of crippling fear to do so. Granted, having the virus isn't helping things but...it's SO MUCH and also having people that aren't me touching my things makes me want to scream but also I know I need to clean it because it's not a normal way to live.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have to go back to working in the CBD soon and I'm very anxious about it :( have only been in once since March and we've been in heavy lockdown that whole time so even going outside is weird now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

man you do one job fair and you get the return of panic attacks instead of sleeping :cool:

Reject
Nov 4, 2002
10+ years of untreated depression culminated in me spending a week in a psych ward. after being discharged, my job seems to be trying to drive me back in.

i feel better and medication has been nice but gently caress. i need to get out but it's really hard.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
my therapist ghosted me. i've emailed her twice and it's been almost four weeks. nothing. she is almost impossible to reach by phone regardless.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My canceled twice in the past week. Find another who will make time.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

my therapist ghosted me. i've emailed her twice and it's been almost four weeks. nothing. she is almost impossible to reach by phone regardless.

That sucks, sorry. Ghosting is a really big deal and absolutely a reportable issue.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I am in a very annoying spot. if I don't drink, I have horrible nightmares, if I do drink, I don't have nightmares but feel like poo poo.

I have a sleep study soon to try and get this figured out. I'd really like the nightmares to stop.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

I am in a very annoying spot. if I don't drink, I have horrible nightmares, if I do drink, I don't have nightmares but feel like poo poo.

I have a sleep study soon to try and get this figured out. I'd really like the nightmares to stop.

Sleep studies are fine but are only biological. It some point you'll probably have to ask yourself what you're trying to drink away, and it'll be the exact same thing that's in the nightmares.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I unfortunately know the answer to that one. it would be super great if the psychiatrist I was assigned to would call me back!!!!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
My mental health has gone down the toilet since I lost my job a million months ago (wasn't great even then but hey at least I left my house and had friends that I saw in person even though I hated my job) and I also don't feel like I can actually tell anyone how I really feel without getting probated on these beautiful forums or having people around me freak out or whatever, so I just don't talk about it. I have friends but I go out of my way to avoid talking to them now for reasons that I honestly can't even understand myself. I hate living with my family, not cause they're fundamentally bad people or abusive or anything, but because they're all very emotionally damaged and built up a lot of very, very deep resentment for one another.

I used to go online and try to find connection by talking with random people but the last time I did that I went on some gaming discord for lgbt people and ended up having to talk a really, really young girl out of suicidal ideation and it's just too much for me. She asked me specifically not to ghost her and I did, I still feel terrible about it but I didn't want to keep talking to a kid online when I was an adult.

That's how things are going!!! :)

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Its really cool that I started having some mental health issues right before the pandemic happened only to end up quitting my crap job out of safety concerns for my family and havent had much of any human contact since. Its really great for my well being and not the absolute worst. I know everyone has to deal with this poo poo and Im privileged to have the ability not to work right now, but I just want to complain right now Im sorry.

Ive never felt so useless in all my life. I am taking some online classes (Im trying to get a teacher cert) right now and Ive been trying to fill my days with all the hobbies and video games I can stand and it just feels so empty right now.

I have a weight set I cant even use because its 109 degrees out and I dont have room indoors. God that feels like a lovely excuse even though its not. I just feel tired all the time and it sucks. I keep trying to be rational about all this garbage but right now its failing me pretty hard.

Ive been having fairly regular anxiety attacks since the end of last year and cant afford to see anybody about it so thats fun.

Sorry for the meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I've been having some serious anxiety dreams/nightmares lately. Some pretty out there body horror, people I care about getting murdered and sexual assault. I woke up feeling emotionally devastated and stayed that way for several hours afterwards. I miss the days where I don't remember my dreams. Those were good days.

In one of the dreams I dreamed about cops where I told them they were small and crooked, like their dicks. Then I got chased around, but nothing bad happened. That was pretty cool. So it's not all bad, but dealing with the more extreme stuff in dreams is new on me and I don't like it.