Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I am pretty certain we are approaching a point at which the average motorcycle will outlive the average car when it comes to neck breaking repair bills and overall reliability.

Imagine thinking that 20 or 30 years ago

Also im quite sure the average customer actually buying a motorcycle versus leasing a car has a lot to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

gently caress it, going to find a new CB125F to sit on and try, I can get a brand new one for £2700.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

my dad's '16 DCT AT has 70k miles on it as of today. the most recent thing he's done to it was the original rear wheel bearings failed on a trip and he rode it home with half the bearings left lol

it's a drat reliable bike

My spouses' 17' has 12,500 on it, no issues outside of the consumable fork thing going on and the factory addon $75 usb socket rusting out because its placement is dumb.

I'm personally not a big fan of it. It's heavy as gently caress and the DCT is always confused regardless of setting.

If the bike were 100-150lb or so lighter It might be better. The engine itself isn't really all that engaging, much like the rest of the bike. It just works. It's not fun, it's not spectacular. It just works. That is its sole purpose. Which is Honda being Honda.
The stepped seat is annoying to ride in the dirt, as is the mountain of a gastank up high. Like all ADVs, they're not meant to do offroading more technical than jumping off the curb at starbucks.
It is however, a great roadbike that puts up with lousy road and weather conditions.

There are flashes for it to nearly double the low end torque. Not sure if that'd make up for its shortcomings.

Combat Theory posted:

I am pretty certain we are approaching a point at which the average motorcycle will outlive the average car when it comes to neck breaking repair bills and overall reliability.

Absolutely. Modern bikes are so damned good compared to say bikes from just 20 years ago. Even a decade ago it was like the wild west. Notchy EFI and intrusive ABS that worked adequate with only a couple types of tires all in packaging that hadn't made it into 3 dimensional cad space for compact layouts, less materials used, and increased strength.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

cursedshitbox posted:

My spouses' 17' has 12,500 on it, no issues outside of the consumable fork thing going on and the factory addon $75 usb socket rusting out because its placement is dumb.

I'm personally not a big fan of it. It's heavy as gently caress and the DCT is always confused regardless of setting.

If the bike were 100-150lb or so lighter It might be better. The engine itself isn't really all that engaging, much like the rest of the bike. It just works. It's not fun, it's not spectacular. It just works. That is its sole purpose. Which is Honda being Honda.
The stepped seat is annoying to ride in the dirt, as is the mountain of a gastank up high. Like all ADVs, they're not meant to do offroading more technical than jumping off the curb at starbucks.
It is however, a great roadbike that puts up with lousy road and weather conditions.

There are flashes for it to nearly double the low end torque. Not sure if that'd make up for its shortcomings.

Absolutely. Modern bikes are so damned good compared to say bikes from just 20 years ago. Even a decade ago it was like the wild west. Notchy EFI and intrusive ABS that worked adequate with only a couple types of tires all in packaging that hadn't made it into 3 dimensional cad space for compact layouts, less materials used, and increased strength.

i had basically no trouble talking myself out of a big adv bike, just not for me at this point. I started looking at 1290 Super ADV Rs, then test rode a 790 ADV R and and a 701 enduro then eventually just bought the fe501s soooo yeah

i was very much not ok with how top heavy and boat like the africa twin felt on the street and i think that's just the archetype in general and not anything with the particular bike. the 790 did feel better in that regard because of the low slung gas tanks but in the end if i can do trips on a dirt bike i wanna do that instead

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

i was very much not ok with how top heavy and boat like the africa twin felt on the street and i think that's just the archetype in general and not anything with the particular bike.

I can't speak to the AT, but after I sat on a few ADV bikes at one of the CycleWorld shows I thought they were all this way. The dude who made my side car rig would only make a kit for a GS, so I ended up buying one and was surprised when I got on it as it carries most of its weight down low and handles really well, at least on the street.

PO said he rode it through sandy backwoods in SC semi-regularly, and there are plenty of dudes on ADVRider who do crazy poo poo with GSes, but it's heavy enough that I wouldn't take it down anything worse than fire roads or easy double track. Levering 600 pounds up off the ground sucks, and gently caress having it land on you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Does anyone have any experience with the Teneres? Especially the new 700? They look like dog poo poo, but I was thinking it might be a nice compromise between the blandness of the Honda, and the KTMness of the KTM offerings.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Teneres? Especially the new 700? They look like dog poo poo, but I was thinking it might be a nice compromise between the blandness of the Honda, and the KTMness of the KTM offerings.

if I was going to buy a middleweight adv bike right fuckin now, it would be a t7. I'd never trust a first year engine design from any manufacturer, but especially KTM. I've looked at a t7 in person and they look and feel fine. the 790 "feels" lighter due to the lower CoG, but again, a first year engine design is never a good buy when you're paying MSRP on it. they feel a bit cheap, but they also are a bit cheap so it doesn't feel out of place if that makes sense

heard nothing but mostly good things on advrider about them so I'd imagine if ya get one it should be reliable as that motor has been around for a bit

but if you're looking for the next few years, then you could hold out and look at the norden 901 / ktm 890 if / when it gets built since I'm sure they'll have at least a revision or two on the engine by the time it releases and the tank design on the KTM is really the best way to go about it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm just idly thinking about it for now, my FZ will be replaced by an ADV bike at some point, when that is depends a lot on life circumstances over the next few years.

I COULD get a Norden 901 right when they come out, and have twice as much money invested in shiny, fragile faux Swedish bikes as in my actual practical vehicles, OR I could be a somewhat responsible adult, I guess.

Hopefully when I'm ready to buy the Norden and the T7 will have been broken several times by other people, and reliability well established.

The 901/890 is a parallel twin, which is a first for KTM, right?

Because that combo does not bode well for early adoption.

Is the Tenere 700's motor different from the MT07?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
it's the same motor as the xsr/mt 07, crossplane ptwin

revel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kEov50GPY

still not convinced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUQWl-y45w

Razzled fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 10, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

Everything I have heard about them has been insanely positive, Ryan was pretty glowing about it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJvQqeQpe8

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

I managed to get a T7 demo out of one of the local dealers while trying a bunch of different bikes. Only got the chance because the first buyer hadn't consulted his wife and had to return it, so it had a few miles already. That bike re-sold within days and all the dealers in the greater Seattle area are sold out for months.

If I wanted a big dirt bike that could be ridden dozens of miles of freeway to a trail then handle the dirt excellently, it would be at the absolute top of my list. Everything Ryan says about it is true.

It feels top-heavy though, way heavier than anything else in the ~600-900cc range. Felt about like the new 2020 1100cc Africa Twin to pick up off the side-stand. I would personally need the lower seat to feel comfortable with that much weight that high (with my 30 inch inseam I could only get the ball of one foot down by sliding a good distance off the seat) and nobody knows when Yamaha America is going to get them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Honda recently took out a patent for something similar to T7 based on Atwin platform/nomenclature

My NT700 is based on Transalp platform and is loving excellent at eating highway miles. Tall suspension and narrow weight placement is apparently amazing at mitigating garbage pennsylvania mountain roads.

If Yamaha would simply outfit T7 with Super Tenere ES electronics, I'd be buying it tomorrow. But for now I'm probably looking to pay double for Tiger or BMW GS and lug 100-150 of extra weight around

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 10, 2020

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Honda recently took out a patent for something similar to T7 based on Atwin platform/nomenclature

My NT700 is based on Transalp platform and is loving excellent at eating highway miles. Tall suspension and narrow weight placement is apparently amazing at mitigating garbage pennsylvania mountain roads.

If Yamaha would simply outfit T7 with Super Tenere ES electronics, I'd be buying it tomorrow. But for now I'm probably looking to pay double for Tiger or BMW GS and lug 100-150 of extra weight around

Yamaha actually makes a more street focused bike based around the CP2 engine. It's called the Tracer 700. They just refuse to bring it to the US.

The closest we get is the Tracer 900 GT, which IS a very nice bike if you're looking for something lighter but with some of the Super Tenere touring comforts.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 11, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

ES suspension ain't all that, ESA is only marginally better and if you want to do quasi-serious offroad poo poo I wouldn't buy either and would spend the cash on springs/valving and a fully adjustable shock instead. Ducati's Skyhook beats the gently caress out of both of them, but again it's designed for the street (and :lol: if you bang a Multi around offroad and expect it to keep working).

Like, it's cool that you can press a couple of buttons and a little motor adjusts your preload, but spring for a remote preload adjuster on a good shock and do some forearm workouts or something. The automatic damping/rebound adjustments aren't "holy poo poo, this is magical" on Yamaha's ES suspension by any means.

I'm with you on having an IMU and all the goodies it brings like lean-sensitive ABS (that you can disable offroad) but part of the reason the T7 is sold out everywhere is that it doesn't have all the fancy electronic gewgaws. It's a basic bike with a proven motor in a middleweight segment where there's not a lot of competition. Should be easy to work on if you manage to break it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Something that annoys me with Yamaha is since they put it on the Tracer 900 obviously they can do cruise control and really any throttle by wire bike I think should. It's weird to me that it's something I do really want but janky throttle locks are not really something I am excited about and I get that the system costs more. I would have paid an extra grand though on my new MT-09 to have cruise control, could not care less for cruise control of any form on my car, but would kill for it on my bike for any stretch of highway more than about 30 miles.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I'm just idly thinking about it for now, my FZ will be replaced by an ADV bike at some point, when that is depends a lot on life circumstances over the next few years.

I COULD get a Norden 901 right when they come out, and have twice as much money invested in shiny, fragile faux Swedish bikes as in my actual practical vehicles, OR I could be a somewhat responsible adult, I guess.

Hopefully when I'm ready to buy the Norden and the T7 will have been broken several times by other people, and reliability well established.

The 901/890 is a parallel twin, which is a first for KTM, right?

Because that combo does not bode well for early adoption.

Is the Tenere 700's motor different from the MT07?

yep, the lc8c is a new design. which is why I’d recommend waiting on it for at least a revision or two. the t7 engine is not so if you want something that is very good, but not excellent with the chance of a gently caress up, I’d get the t7. it’ll do everything the 790 / 890 / 901 will do, but with older tech and less hp, which isn’t a bad thing

just gotta be honest with yourself in what you want / expect is all

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TheBacon posted:

Something that annoys me with Yamaha is since they put it on the Tracer 900 obviously they can do cruise control and really any throttle by wire bike I think should. It's weird to me that it's something I do really want but janky throttle locks are not really something I am excited about and I get that the system costs more. I would have paid an extra grand though on my new MT-09 to have cruise control, could not care less for cruise control of any form on my car, but would kill for it on my bike for any stretch of highway more than about 30 miles.

Yamaha is so annoyingly bad at gatekeeping nice features on their lower-end bikes that their big expensive bikes have

E: and underspringing their bikes, with how easily F9 bottomed out that suspension I'd have to immediately re-spring the forks and shock.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 11, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Yamaha is so annoyingly bad at gatekeeping nice features on their lower-end bikes that their big expensive bikes have

E: and underspringing their bikes, with how easily F9 bottomed out that suspension I'd have to immediately re-spring the forks and shock.

yeah same with honda. ride by wire and you still have to buy an electric aftermarket thing for $500 to have CC. fuckin dumb. at least KTM has the brains to charge you $300 for an OEM switch that probably cost the $5 for CC on the 790 that came standard on the 1290 lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Turns out the T7 isn't ride-by-wire, so no electronic cruise - no one complaining about the typical lovely Yamaha ride-by-wire throttle response either, though.

Elviscat, in Revzilla's print review of the T7 they mention the rider is around 235 in gear and was able to get the suspension adjust such that it wasn't bottoming after every rock/dip/whatever, just the big poo poo. You still might end up respringing it but it doesn't sound as bad as some of their other bikes, like my FZ-09 that was sprung for someone who might weigh 150lbs soaking wet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's good info, thanks.

I'm about 250 naked, so me plus gear, plus luggage would probably be a bit much.

I'm probably not going full-out over whoops with luggage either tho.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

TheBacon posted:

Potentially relevant:

https://youtu.be/yGEfICjyGvI

I like them a good bit but I have poor taste so v0v. Part two supposed to be live this week.
Part 2 of the 44 Teeth 2020 Superbike Shootout, the track test, is posted now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJSKmn4ooNg
Baron Von Grumble managed to drop a bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

Part 2 of the 44 Teeth 2020 Superbike Shootout, the track test, is posted now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJSKmn4ooNg
Baron Von Grumble managed to drop a bike.

Are you going to buy the winner?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

builds character posted:

Are you going to buy the winner?
I'm definitely not buying anything in the immediate future. But I'm leaning toward the CBR1000RR-R SP if I can get one next year depending on the economy. Comparos are interesting to me but not determinative since it's all splitting hairs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yuns posted:

CBR1000RR-R

Hard to believe this is an actual designation, I think it needs more R's

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

That's why they needed the SP designation because they couldn't fit a 5th R onto the name and they needed a way to distinguish the normal CBR1000RR-R from the SP version without calling it a CBR1000RR-R-R

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CBRRRRRRR1000RrRrRrRrRr-R’r^R2

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

HHDDVVDDDDBVDVBDVBDVD

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CB:argh:1000:argh::argh:-:argh:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

That's why they needed the SP designation because they couldn't fit a 5th R onto the name and they needed a way to distinguish the normal CBR1000RR-R from the SP version without calling it a CBR1000RR-R-R

It’s such a nice bike, you should definitely get it. Even if they did chicken out on the name scheme.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The real kicker is the fact that the actual race bike is called the cbr1000rr-s.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
They did make me want an S1000rr

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

BMW just launched the 2021 M1000RR as their new top road bike version of the S1000RR M. Looks like a V4R competitor. More track focus but still road legal.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 23, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yuns posted:

BMW just launched the 2021 M1000RR as their new top road bike version of the S1000RR M. Looks like a V4R competitor. More track focus but still road legal.

Does it have big //M badges everywhere?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
and speakers to pipe engine noise through

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

and speakers to pipe engine noise through

Now that would be hilarious, and also fully on-brand. A Euro 5 compliant exhaust that's quiet as a mouse, and speakers hidden under the tank or in the airbox to blast induction and exhaust sound at you so you feel better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My car has this and I hate it. I’d rather just have the silence. Disabling it also disables a bunch of other stuff like active noise cancellation and Bluetooth stuff so I just leave it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

Does it have big //M badges everywhere?
44teeth say yes it has M logos especially all over the carbon kit option.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/sport/m1000rr.html

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 23, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My car has this and I hate it. I’d rather just have the silence. Disabling it also disables a bunch of other stuff like active noise cancellation and Bluetooth stuff so I just leave it

Sometimes I learn poo poo that just makes me want to like...stab the world. This is one of those things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a very un-Honda thing to make one module that does like 8 different things too, which makes it doubly infuriating.

The fact that the motor is a 2L i4 with a turbocharger and the engine noise they pipe in is sorta NA V6 sounding is triply infuriating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would actually avoid buying a car because of something like that. Sorry to hear that you're stuck with it