Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Agile Vector posted:

honestly an apple tv with teleconferencing junk would be a decent sell right now. im sure they have camera modules in a pile somewhere to rebin

bring back the iSight camera tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

how are things this bad in NYC? i live in loving suburban tennessee and Verizon came through, dug holes in everyones yard, and installed mmWave 5G stations on every 4th utility pole.
nyc has tall buildings

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
might not have been able to wrangle rights to hang antennas on the utility poles and taking up more ground footprint in the ROW would be met with tons of pushback from the city.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Twerk from Home posted:

how are things this bad in NYC? i live in loving suburban tennessee and Verizon came through, dug holes in everyones yard, and installed mmWave 5G stations on every 4th utility pole.

5g doesn't penetrate walls. NYC has a lot of walls.

you might think "wait, isn't that an incredibly bad feature to have in a wireless communications system?", but actually it is absolutely an incredibly bad feature to have in a wireless communications system and you're entirely right.

but at least if you stand with your phone at just the right angle in the corner of the building you can stream 4k movies now to watch on a 5 inch screen

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sagebrush posted:

but at least if you stand with your phone at just the right angle in the corner of the building you can stream 4k movies now to watch on a 5 inch screen
i wish. even "small" phones have 5.5" screens

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i mean 5g does bring enhancements in other areas and mmwave isn't all there is to it but mmwave is, indeed, dumb as hell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all the 5G fr2 (mmWave) stuff is really supposed to be about fixed wireless. If you have base stations as ubiquitous as transformers then you can stick a panel antenna on your window and get a competitive with cable internet connection

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and a cheap way of freeing up some of the "real" bands by throwing in mmwave towers in really crowded places. you don't necessarily see any improvement being on mmwave, but your normal network experience is improved by e.g. an arena or conference venue in your cell having some mmwave.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
What about all the COVID it's causing?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

The Merkinman posted:

if I can stream 4K on my phone? worth it baby

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

all the 5G fr2 (mmWave) stuff is really supposed to be about fixed wireless. If you have base stations as ubiquitous as transformers then you can stick a panel antenna on your window and get a competitive with cable internet connection

iirc it's also not covered by all those pesky fcc regulations on wireline internet services

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Merkinman posted:

https://twitter.com/mywheelhouseftw/status/1263676891447193602?s=21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol if you think there will ever be 5g mmwave density such that you as an apartment renter can get your own pipe with a patch in the window. theyre gonna have one link for the whole building and you can pay $30 a month like all the 100 other residents for a $99/mo 5g shared pipe. you will connect via 5ghz wifi at best. a dozen people will not understand what is going on and will connect their router lan side to it and run rogue dhcp servers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

lol if you think there will ever be 5g mmwave density such that you as an apartment renter can get your own pipe with a patch in the window. theyre gonna have one link for the whole building and you can pay $30 a month like all the 100 other residents for a $99/mo 5g shared pipe. you will connect via 5ghz wifi at best. a dozen people will not understand what is going on and will connect their router lan side to it and run rogue dhcp servers.

you've heard of starry huh

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
It seems like people are assuming that an appletv remote redesign would improve the product.

What if it's somehow even worse?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Sassafras posted:

It seems like people are assuming that an appletv remote redesign would improve the product.

same remote, half as long

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sassafras posted:

it’ll be a painful practical joke like the snapping gum

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

lets come up with some appleTV remote redesigns worthy of the apple brand in 2020!

1. there won't be a remote anymore, you'll just use the app on your phone. they'll release an android version
2. as above but it will only respond to Siri commands a-la the home pods. if you have both devices they will fight with each other to process the commands
3. all the physical buttons are removed. specific parts of the touchpad will replace the button actions, kind of like those buttons on android phones. those vibration motor things will be added to simulate button presses (optional: they will light up when they sense a finger come near them) (this is not a joke they will 100% do this)
4a. as above but the bottom face is also a touch surface. to pick up the remote without triggering an action you must grip it only by the edges.
4. circles are the new rectangles! it will be a small featureless disc with no visible way to know which way it's facing. it will attempt to figure its orientation out by storing the location of the tv relative to the remote using the inbuilt compass. it will never quite match up reliably. different swipe angles will do different actions.
5. it will have a tiny track ball like the mighty mouse. the ball will be a fixed touch surface
6. an ergonomic, functional remote with well labelled and colour coded physical buttons will be rendered in beautiful 3d in AR when you hold your phone up towards the tv. you then reach out with your other hand to interact with the virtual buttons.
7. it will now have a screen which shows an apple watch style secondary display. the buttons displayed will be controlled by the app. all first party apps have buttons in the regular place. all third party apps will re-arrange the buttons and will remove the volume buttons and replace them with advertisements for other shows/services
8. the ir blaster is removed so older tvs can no longer be controlled.
9. the current remote will have two touch surfaces added to the underside. you can rotate the remote horizontally and use these touch surface to emulate game control sticks. there will be no other face buttons for games

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 11, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

or they just walk back the design like they've done with most of their recent fuckups (mac pro, macbook keyboard, overly "flat" design system) and revert to something closer to the atv 2/3 remote

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

lets come up with some appleTV remote redesigns worthy of the apple brand in 2020!

1. there won't be a remote anymore, you'll just use the app on your phone. they'll release an android version
2. as above but it will only respond to Siri commands a-la the home pods. if you have both devices they will fight with each other to process the commands
3. all the physical buttons are removed. specific parts of the touchpad will replace the button actions, kind of like those buttons on android phones. those vibration motor things will be added to simulate button presses (optional: they will light up when they sense a finger come near them) (this is not a joke they will 100% do this)
4a. as above but the bottom face is also a touch surface. to pick up the remote without triggering an action you must grip it only by the edges.
4. circles are the new rectangles! it will be a small featureless disc with no visible way to know which way it's facing. it will attempt to figure its orientation out by storing the location of the tv relative to the remote using the inbuilt compass. it will never quite match up reliably. different swipe angles will do different actions.
5. it will have a tiny track ball like the mighty mouse. the ball will be a fixed touch surface
6. an ergonomic, functional remote with well labelled and colour coded physical buttons will be rendered in beautiful 3d in AR when you hold your phone up towards the tv. you then reach out with your other hand to interact with the virtual buttons.
7. it will now have a screen which shows an apple watch style secondary display. the buttons displayed will be controlled by the app. all first party apps have buttons in the regular place. all third party apps will re-arrange the buttons and will remove the volume buttons and replace them with advertisements for other shows/services
8. the ir blaster is removed so older tvs can no longer be controlled.
9. the current remote will have two touch surfaces added to the underside. you can rotate the remote horizontally and use these touch surface to emulate game control sticks. there will be no other face buttons for games

imagine having so much impotent nerd-rage at apple that you spend time thinking about and writing this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the new apple tv will have the ability to triangulate the remote's position in the room and then also cameras to track your position in the room. When you go looking for the remote the apple tv will helpfully tell you if you're getting hot or cold

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

some plausible ideas here.

it’s obvious that the atv remote is the new mouse, and Apple intends to make it a terrible experience

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The_Franz posted:

imagine having so much impotent nerd-rage at apple that you spend time thinking about and writing this

lol i was having fun thinking up dumb ideas, but thanks for your cool post keeping the htread alive

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

or they just walk back the design like they've done with most of their recent fuckups (mac pro, macbook keyboard, overly "flat" design system) and revert to something closer to the atv 2/3 remote
what did that look like? the 4K one is fine, but using the phone is faster/better for passwords obviously

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Bored Online posted:

same remote, half as long

chode remote

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

what did that look like? the 4K one is fine, but using the phone is faster/better for passwords obviously

the best remote ever made

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the next remote will just be a hockey puck mouse

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Last Chance posted:

But it's not like that was a miracle of design, it needed to be at least 3x thicker to avoid hurtling itself into any gap available in a couch at the first opportunity.

Last Chance posted:

Oh my. It was better than the revamp but not so great that "a new remote!" wasn't supposed to be a primary selling point of the new remote.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
People who make remotes without either a finder button or at least one of those thingies for a wrist strap should be made unemployable in the consumer electronics industry.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

it has a nice click but its still too small, has no Bluetooth, no volume and no backlight

pram
Jun 10, 2001
less space than a nomad. lame

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

this is the best apple tv remote:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

this is the best apple tv remote:

Please charge your phone!

:ohdear:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

Please charge your phone!

:ohdear:

not to much though, i need that nice!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
so the biggest swiss carrier just sent me an email saying subscribe to our newsletter for some iphone news on september 15th wink wink so i think the rumor sites are wrong and the event is not just watches and ipads

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you mean to tell me that apple might announce a new iphone in september? this would be truly unprecedented and I’m sure all the rumor sites are 100% correct

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i would be tempted to get a smaller-size iphone 12 if such a thing will indeed exist, but enhanced NFC stuff* is literally the only thing it would do that my 1st-gen SE doesnt, and my SE has like 92% battery capacity still

* enhanced NFC stuff = acting as a car key, and adding some metro transit passes directly to apple wallet, and itll be a long time before i would care about either of those

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's nfc yubikeys coming out which is a good application

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Lysidas posted:

i would be tempted to get a smaller-size iphone 12 if such a thing will indeed exist, but enhanced NFC stuff* is literally the only thing it would do that my 1st-gen SE doesnt, and my SE has like 92% battery capacity still

* enhanced NFC stuff = acting as a car key, and adding some metro transit passes directly to apple wallet, and itll be a long time before i would care about either of those

the next “small” iphone will achieve such by dint of foldability