Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i thought imperator was literally garbage and im not even a big fan of ck2 but ck3 is really good, and the new engine is actually functional?? and not a technical mess that inexplicably starts dying on even good cpus?? also has a good amount of content. i was actually worried about the idea of like, an eu5 or a hoi5 or a stellaris 2 bcos of imperator being so insanely bad but now i would very much like an eu5 in this new engine please thank you

Anno posted:

I thought Stellaris was good from the start, just not for very long as these kind of games go. But I can see why people didn’t.

CK3 though I think is excellent immediately in a way that almost anyone should enjoy unless you really miss a lot of specific things that didn’t make it from CK2 or if CK2 was like the bare minimum in terms of content for your tastes. I know there are some not-insignificant bugs floating around but in my 23ish hours I don’t recall seeing anything. And it runs amazingly well.

agree with all of this basically inc the stellaris thing. stellaris is/was the best space 4x, not so much a typical paradox game tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm really glad basically all of the Old Gods stuff made the cut. It was definitely one of the better DLCs and reforming your religion is a really cool early game goal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stellaris is a good game but has a lot of issues but so do all 4x games, even the good ones

Though asking a 4x fan to name what is a good one and you will get a lot of different answers with the rest being poo poo

So maybe there are no good 4x games I dunno

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is where I'm at, but I still play Stellaris anyway because imo it's the closest to being good

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh right, I didn't see that it was a comment about performance, that makes more sense. I don't think I ever played a CK2 game long enough to get performance issues.

The thing is that if you were to speed 5 through a CK2 game, it might take something like 20 hours to go from 1066-1453, and doing the same thing in Ck3 takes something like 2-3 hours. It's amazing how much the performance has been improved. No one is suggesting you play the game on speed 5, it's just now the only limiting factor in speed is you, not the game performance.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's more like they're extremely hard to make fun because it's too easy for them to get into a situation where either the player is just hosed or they can't possibly lose.

Basically all the bad things about GSG with the added difficulty of having random starting conditions

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh I think basically all games over a certain size/complexity fall into “good but they have issues” because of how many things are going on at once system wise. It just ends up being that basically all big strategy games fall into this along with stuff like dense cRPGs and simulation games. They’re still good games imo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

There are already 30% more posts in the CK3 thread than in the Imperator thread. Please don't compare these two games. I've laid out how impressed I was about how many things made the jump from CK2 DLC to base CK3, and I already have 43 hours played in it. It's a great release, and even though there are some bugs, some design decisions are questionable, and the inheritance system is a bit screwy, it's arguably already as good as full CK3.

They did a good iteration of the Crusader Kings concept with CK3, which is why you can't compare Stellaris to it. And seeing how well they did with CK3, I really hope Wiz is working on Stellaris 2 as his secret project. Because I don't think Stellaris is really salvageable. It's enjoyable, and I sometimes dabble in it for a few hours, but it inevitably gets boring long before you reach the endgame. Contrast that to the much performance improved CK3, where several people in the CK3 thread already played from the earliest start date to 1453, nearly 600 years! It's such a huge difference.
Eh, I'm comparing them because they are PDS games and PDS has a history of lovely releases. Yes Stellaris is a bit of an oddball because it has RTS elements but if you look back, many people loved the game on release and it took several weeks, if not months, for the cracks to really show. The Stellaris thread immediately (one week, I guess?) after release also had more posts than Imperator currently does. I said I would not buy into the hype because one week is not enough time to let the cracks show. Yes, it is good; no, there are not any game breaking bugs; but what are people going to be saying in a month? I've talked to people that have played and they have run into some annoying bugs about having both tribal authority and feudal authority, and Feudal Authority not working like it is supposed to.

Stellaris didnt actually have that lovely of a release, but people played it a lot and the cracks started to show pretty quick, and I am curious how people will feel about CKIII in another month or two.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 10, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

yikes! posted:

This is where I'm at, but I still play Stellaris anyway because imo it's the closest to being good

For me it's strange how Paradox explained why 4X games are poo poo by making games with premade maps, established powers and indirect control over many mechanics... And then they've proceeded to make Stellaris which has all the lovely elements of 4X. It makes you design ships, microcontrol dozens of colonies making obvious decisions, research laser efficiency #3. But it also lacks most of 4X good parts like relatively brief length, unique factions with their own character, more or less consistent difficulty. I just don't get it. It's like Metallica selling out and doing St Anger because they see the market for simplistic straightforward music that was always beneath them.

I thought at least it looked fine and the UI is cool, they probably can't make a real Paradox game with a UI so approachable and looks so good. But here we are, CK3 is beautiful and a good game at the same time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I haven't played Stellaris in years. Is there any mod that starts the galaxy already populated yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ilitarist posted:

For me it's strange how Paradox explained why 4X games are poo poo by making games with premade maps, established powers and indirect control over many mechanics... And then they've proceeded to make Stellaris which has all the lovely elements of 4X. It makes you design ships, microcontrol dozens of colonies making obvious decisions, research laser efficiency #3. But it also lacks most of 4X good parts like relatively brief length, unique factions with their own character, more or less consistent difficulty. I just don't get it. It's like Metallica selling out and doing St Anger because they see the market for simplistic straightforward music that was always beneath them.

I thought at least it looked fine and the UI is cool, they probably can't make a real Paradox game with a UI so approachable and looks so good. But here we are, CK3 is beautiful and a good game at the same time.
I'm still surprised that they have not started offering a premade galaxy or something more than being able to force races to spawn after Wiz created the Blorg in the hype videos and they became a meme and were really popular.

Some of the things that stand out to me the most when I talk to people about the game/read about it is things like how events that break the Prikki-ti out of their shielded world to start menacing the galaxy. The unique species and their behaviors are what stand out and help with in-game storylines, and I feel like they could do wonders if they could leverage that more.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
In ~big Imperator news~ they just announced that they've had a second dev team working on DLC for months so they apparently think that the game is still worth spending resources on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean they obviously had a different goal with stellaris than their other games, and thats fine. its also understandble youd not like that if you like specifically what their other games do but i dont think they have to make every game based around the same formula, and its not like stellaris has struggled to keep a playerbase or anything so obviously there are people that want a 4x game that isnt just complete garbage.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

pdxjohan posted:

Testing does not fix bugs though.

In the years we had publishing QA they were never involved with testing PDS games, the PDS QA team did and still does all of that.

Ironically in the recent years we have had far more QA and longer test periods than before.

That was intended more as a jab at my own government's attitude towards disease testing, and at some former employers of mine.

Paradox Dev Studio has been doing pretty well on the bug front for several years now, as you say.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Something to note about QA that's not often mentioned is that often, it's not QA missing bugs or the devs not noting them, but that publishers have a release date and short of depriving game developers of labour rights, what are they gonna do?

Also you can try CK3 for one dollar on game pass.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CK3 is a good release that I am enjoying. They did a good job.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah it's got obvious issues, but it's a solid base to build upon and it's core is a much improved CK formula.

E: Those obvious issues are stuff like intrigue is godmode, revolts can have 4-5 times as many knights as you which makes them massive pains, tribal reforming feudal is horrible, with female superiority the AI will not do matrilineal marriages

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CK3 clearly has good bones - no doubt there are issues but they are mainly balance stuff that feels like it should be easy to fix. I think it's a safe purchase. That said, I think it's totally fair for people to want to wait a little bit since Paradox has definitely not had the smoothest releases the last few years, between Stellaris (only the early game was any good on launch, debatable how much better the rest of the game ever got), HOI4 (the air and naval systems were awful at launch and have seen only marginal improvement), and Imperator (haven't heard anything very positive).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bold Robot posted:

CK3 clearly has good bones - no doubt there are issues but they are mainly balance stuff that feels like it should be easy to fix. I think it's a safe purchase. That said, I think it's totally fair for people to want to wait a little bit since Paradox has definitely not had the smoothest releases the last few years, between Stellaris (only the early game was any good on launch, debatable how much better the rest of the game ever got), HOI4 (the air and naval systems were awful at launch and have seen only marginal improvement), and Imperator (haven't heard anything very positive).

Yeah, Im waiting.

Ive been reading here and it looks like the great game I was hoping. But I can wait for a few patches (and maybe the first sale)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Torrannor posted:

There are already 30% more posts in the CK3 thread than in the Imperator thread. Please don't compare these two games. I've laid out how impressed I was about how many things made the jump from CK2 DLC to base CK3, and I already have 43 hours played in it. It's a great release, and even though there are some bugs, some design decisions are questionable, and the inheritance system is a bit screwy, it's arguably already as good as full CK3.

They did a good iteration of the Crusader Kings concept with CK3, which is why you can't compare Stellaris to it. And seeing how well they did with CK3, I really hope Wiz is working on Stellaris 2 as his secret project. Because I don't think Stellaris is really salvageable. It's enjoyable, and I sometimes dabble in it for a few hours, but it inevitably gets boring long before you reach the endgame. Contrast that to the much performance improved CK3, where several people in the CK3 thread already played from the earliest start date to 1453, nearly 600 years! It's such a huge difference.

stellaris would be halfway salvageable at least if they integrated a bunch of the good mods, or made changes along the same lines. more traditions, the stuff from gulli's mods, etc, xenology, etc.

but i don't think the stellaris team has EVER had the manpower they needed to fully realize...anything. they needed like twice as many people throughout the whole process to get anything real done; all of the DLC felt underwhelming because there just...wasn't that much in them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, Im waiting.

Ive been reading here and it looks like the great game I was hoping. But I can wait for a few patches (and maybe the first sale)

You could also pay $1 dollar and get it on gamepass and play it for a month before choosing to drop any real cash on it or not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like imperator better than CK3 but that’s because CK3 feels like two with half the content shaved off

Before someone says good it’s coming back eventually

But CK3 is more open to wacky stories and people love that poo poo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dramicus posted:

You could also pay $1 dollar and get it on gamepass and play it for a month before choosing to drop any real cash on it or not.

Nah, Im buying it anyway

I just want to pay a little less and get a more stable game

edit: I mean, CK2 is my favorite game ever. I was going to buy Ck3 even if everyone was saying is awful. But from all Ive read, is great. I just prefer to wait a bit

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 10, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like imperator better than CK3 but that’s because CK3 feels like two with half the content shaved off

Before someone says good it’s coming back eventually

But CK3 is more open to wacky stories and people love that poo poo

Yeah 3 is definitely in full on wacky border gore mode at the moment.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My biggest issue is the ai doesn't handle female dominated games and fails to matri-marry which means I can't do the whole spread my dynasty around and expect them to still be there on succession. Or if I get a string of rulers with no girl children I'll eventually end up as a character who is normal married and has a girl already. :negative:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've played five or six hours of 3 on gamepass and it definitely seems like an enormous jump in UI and graphics and even basic mechanics, but I think i've played CK2 too much to really get into it again. Also they took out the Byz mechanics after finally getting them right, what the heck

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fuligin posted:

I've played five or six hours of 3 on gamepass and it definitely seems like an enormous jump in UI and graphics and even basic mechanics, but I think i've played CK2 too much to really get into it again. Also they took out the Byz mechanics after finally getting them right, what the heck

But the byz mechanics in endstage CK2 are loving awful :confused:

They're not fun, the AI can't handle them at loving all, and they're totally detached from reality to boot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Yeah that’s one of my complaints. The Byz are just any other faction but bigger

That and give me back my Alexiad start

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, Im buying it anyway

I just want to pay a little less and get a more stable game

edit: I mean, CK2 is my favorite game ever. I was going to buy Ck3 even if everyone was saying is awful. But from all Ive read, is great. I just prefer to wait a bit

I mean you could pay 1 dollar to and play it for a month while you wait to buy it on sale. You can both wait to buy it and play it simultaneously for 1 dollar.

Eimi posted:

My biggest issue is the ai doesn't handle female dominated games and fails to matri-marry which means I can't do the whole spread my dynasty around and expect them to still be there on succession. Or if I get a string of rulers with no girl children I'll eventually end up as a character who is normal married and has a girl already. :negative:

Yeah, it's much better than ck2 was for handling it, but it's still not perfect. Another problem I found was how in a matrilinial society, bastards were still considered part of the man's house. It should probably be the opposite, if the Queen seduces someone and gets pregnant, then the kid should be a bastard of her dynasty and she can choose to legitimize him/her if she wants. Matriarchs can't have "strategic" bastards like men can.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 10, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dramicus posted:

I mean you could pay 1 dollar to and play it for a month while you wait to buy it on sale. You can both wait to buy it and play it simultaneously for 1 dollar.

Not everyone lives in USA and specific European countries where Gamepass is available. Some of us have no choice but to be Paradox slaves at full price.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, theres that too. Im brazilian, Im not sure its available to us

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm still surprised that they have not started offering a premade galaxy or something more than being able to force races to spawn after Wiz created the Blorg in the hype videos and they became a meme and were really popular.

Some of the things that stand out to me the most when I talk to people about the game/read about it is things like how events that break the Prikki-ti out of their shielded world to start menacing the galaxy. The unique species and their behaviors are what stand out and help with in-game storylines, and I feel like they could do wonders if they could leverage that more.

premade scenario galaxies would have been much better, yeah. even the ability to make your own premades, or for mods to offer them, would have gone a long way toward improving the game.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think they'd have to make, at the very least, the diplomacy and internal politics way better before I'd find asymmetrical starts fun in stellaris

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

premade scenario galaxies would have been much better, yeah. even the ability to make your own premades, or for mods to offer them, would have gone a long way toward improving the game.
Stux had a good point that doing so wasnt their goal with the game, but I think people are used to PDS making games with premade maps/settings. And the rest of the game supports that type of thing because of how other empires are designed and created.

yikes! posted:

I think they'd have to make, at the very least, the diplomacy and internal politics way better before I'd find asymmetrical starts fun in stellaris
Agreed 100%. With how the game works right now, it would be almost impossible to bootstrap your way out of starting in a massive hole like you can in EU4, CKII, ect

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

making anything after the initial exploration gameplay fun would be a good start in stellaris

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I dunno, I'm not well versed in Stellaris but I try it after every couple of expansion. And I see all those events appear again and again. The kettle, ancient battlefield, box with fairy tales. And you have space cows and ancient miners all the time. From gameplay perspective the only star systems that catch your eye are choke points. Cause even a great bonuses in a star system mean that expanding here would mean +10 to research added to your 500.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They really need to let you get cheevos with mods if dumb poo poo like "more clothing variants" is going to be breaking achievements in this game.

E: woops this isn’t the CK3 thread but point stands for all Paradox games tbh

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 10, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They really need to let you get cheevos with mods if dumb poo poo like "more clothing variants" is going to be breaking achievements in this game.

I really do wish they'd follow the trend of similar games like Civ and just let you get achievements without Ironman. I have thousands of hours in these games and not one achievement because no loving way am I trusting these games not to throw out some weird bug that I have to use the console to fix, or risk losing my one save to corruption. Achievements are supposed to be fun little challenges, if you let people get them even though they cheated, they only cheated themselves, nobody else is worse off.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Embrace the art of not giving a gently caress about cheevos. Be a pro with over 1000 hours and 0 achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Stux had a good point that doing so wasnt their goal with the game, but I think people are used to PDS making games with premade maps/settings. And the rest of the game supports that type of thing because of how other empires are designed and created.

Agreed 100%. With how the game works right now, it would be almost impossible to bootstrap your way out of starting in a massive hole like you can in EU4, CKII, ect

yeah some premade maps would be cool for sure, i mean theres no reason not to just let everyone go hog wild with that kind of stuff and setup a custom galaxy if they want. export a little code so other people can try your start or something.