Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HalloKitty posted:

Two of my friends had VapoChill Lightspeed AC back in the day. There was also Prometeia.

I remember one of them took his CPU out of the socket and the pins stayed mostly in the socket, simply due to them becoming super brittle, I guess that was because of the dramatic heat cycling.

Still incredibly baller.

That is amazing, had intel gone LGA yet by that time or were they still PGA? Those Prescott P4s put out insane levels of heat chasing clock speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Theophany posted:

That is amazing, had intel gone LGA yet by that time or were they still PGA? Those Prescott P4s put out insane levels of heat chasing clock speeds.

It was an AMD CPU, an Athlon 64 of some description, the exact model escapes me

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Longbike posted:

If it's a scam I guess it's a good one since I'd be seriously tempted to check it out if I lived in the area. I've had some of those insane stories that actually turned out to be true.

Edit: never with tech though- always old guys whose wives had finally had enough of their tool and construction supply hoarding.

That's true, I met another goon IRL who had a womam from Craigslist sell him an ex-husband's $4000+ full-carbon fat bike for $300. Divorce spite is real.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Longbike posted:

Unfortunately sellers in my area (DC metro/Baltimore) don't seem to have gotten the memo. Lowest I have seen is $380 for a 2070S.

Yeah, they won't drop prices until the Ampere cards are actually up for sale. Gotta try to get those last sales off people who don't know wtf.

Even then, don't expect the sub-$500 cards to drop all that much at retail stores, since there's not a new card to directly replace them yet.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

jisforjosh posted:

No benchmarks but some hands on overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJDdRgs7Lw

gently caress it's beautiful

now i really want the FE but it'll probably be the hardest one to snag, right??

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shogunner posted:

it's beautiful until that ugly rattail of an adapter for the 12-pin is put in

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Shogunner posted:

I really want the FE as well but all the evidence I'm seeing so far is pointing to my U14S being a useless hot coal with that exhaust blowing into it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If you don't care overly much about looks, you can always make a small 90 deg duct to slap on top of the FE cooler to redirect the hot air towards the back of the case instead of straight up.

I suspect that as long as you have decent case airflow it won't make as much of a difference as people are thinking.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I really want the FE as well but all the evidence I'm seeing so far is pointing to my U14S being a useless hot coal with that exhaust blowing into it.

typical open-air coolers dump all their heat into the case anyway, so it's not ideal for the cpu either way

the new FE cooler vents 50% of its heat out of the back of the case so maybe it's actually better for the cpu overall? :shrug:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Really frustrating that NewEgg has EVGA cards listed even before EVGA's own website :v:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

repiv posted:

typical open-air coolers dump all their heat into the case anyway, so it's not ideal for the cpu either way

the new FE cooler vents 50% of its heat out of the back of the case so maybe it's actually better for the cpu overall? :shrug:
My 90° Mobo rotated case recommends blower models, but when I switched to a 3 fan 1080 it was quieter, and the cpu and gpu stay within 5°C of each other ~33-60° then again I have three 180mm fans and one 120mm

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Yeah that's my biggest struggle between FE and an EVGA. With a D15 it will slurp up the air the front fan exhausts but will triple fan AIB pushing 320W of heat into the case be any better? How will that play with my 2x 200mm intakes, 1x 200m 1x 120mm outtakes? Right now there are no answers.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 10, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Well the FE allegedly dumps half it's air out the back rather than back into the case, only the back fan pushes through to the CPU side.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

Well the FE allegedly dumps half it's air out the back rather than back into the case, only the back fan pushes through to the CPU side.

I’m pretty excited about that, I actually like my blower 2070S because with an aggressive fan curve so much of the heat it throws out is just gone.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
GPU's are already blowing hot air into the case. After a certain amount of time, the interior temperature is heat soaked and depending on your flow goes through the CPU cooler anyway. An open top case design and an upward blowing CPU fan might be the way to go.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

LRADIKAL posted:

GPU's are already blowing hot air into the case. After a certain amount of time, the interior temperature is heat soaked and depending on your flow goes through the CPU cooler anyway. An open top case design and an upward blowing CPU fan might be the way to go.

this is how i built mine currently, i guess i'd say don't skimp on the intake in a build like that :shrug:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Statutory Ape posted:

this is how i built mine currently, i guess i'd say don't skimp on the intake in a build like that :shrug:

2x 140mm fans for intake on a mesh front should be plenty, yeah?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 10, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Jinnigan posted:

2x 140mm fans for intake on a mesh front should be plenty, yeah?

its what i did :)

there may be even one more intake somewhere, i honestly do not recall. the case has quite a few fans and its been some years

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I remember when Twinaxial risers were only sold by 3M and cost like $200 each. Now they apparently have them from $40-60 depending on length, and they're verified for PCIe 4.0? Maybe we can just run the 3090 outside of the case, lol:

https://www.amazon.com/LINKUP-RX5700XT-Twin-axial-Universal-Compatible/dp/B0898QMB6D/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Coolermaster's sold pcie3 x16 200mm cables for $30 for a while now - I used them to build a 4x 1080Ti test bench compute box a while back

you pretty much need a setup where you have the mobo flat and the cards lifted vertically off them.
having them go sideways out a normal case isn't great

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
How much would you pay at most for an RTX 2080? Would $300 be too much?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Green Gloves posted:

How much would you pay at most for an RTX 2080? Would $300 be too much?

Well, consider that a 3070, when it launches, should be about $500 and be 25-40% faster than a 2080, with notably faster RTX capabilities, HDMI 2.1, and a fresh warranty. Against that, I'd say $300 would be stretching it unless you needed the card now.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DrDork posted:

Well, consider that a 3070, when it launches, should be about $500 and be 25-40% faster than a 2080, with notably faster RTX capabilities, HDMI 2.1, and a fresh warranty. Against that, I'd say $300 would be stretching it unless you needed the card now.

On local Kijiji one person is selling EVGA 2080ti FTW3 for $1,200CAD. The best part about the ad is this:

quote:

Price is firm......you won’t get a 3080 or 3090 till 2021. Good luck!

It's funny.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Volguus posted:

On local Kijiji one person is selling EVGA 2080ti FTW3 for $1,200CAD. The best part about the ad is this:

It's funny.

He's right :(

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Volguus posted:

It's funny.

he's right but also i hope someone robs his rear end for that

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Anyone who's currently planning to buy a 3080 will be able to do so well before the end of the year, and that's a Sphyre Promise

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sphyre posted:

Anyone who's currently planning to buy a 3080 will be able to do so well before the end of the year, and that's a Sphyre Promise

:hmmyes:

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Sphyre posted:

I mean Amazon still hasn’t cancelled the two I was able to order so it’s looking good!! :downs:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sphyre posted:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've already had this comp for 6-7 years now, if I gotta wait a bit longer until January that's not big a deal right?

:smithicide:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I just want one before Nov 19th. :negative:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Me: I just want one before CP2077 comes out

Monkey's Paw: CP2077 gets delayed till next year

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Just in time for the 30xxti

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll be content playing CP2077 on my i7 4770 and 1660 Ti :haw:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the true geniuses are the ones still using 1280x1024 17in LCDs from 2001. if you never upgrade your monitor, you will never know that there are better things out there and everything will look great! the moment you bring that 1440/4k high refresh rate monitor home, your brain is forever tainted

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cygni posted:

the true geniuses are the ones still using 1280x1024 17in LCDs from 2001. if you never upgrade your monitor, you will never know that there are better things out there and everything will look great! the moment you bring that 1440/4k high refresh rate monitor home, your brain is forever tainted

i know you're joking but there's probably an ounce of truth to that.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I do appreciate the goon-appropriate assumption that you'll never see a friend's setup or even go somewhere else that you would see a video game

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Taima posted:

I do appreciate the goon-appropriate assumption that you'll never see a friend's setup or even go somewhere else that you would see a video game

Or just look at anything that isn't a low refresh rate screen, seeing as everything in the world around you is rendered by your brain at the highest refresh rate anyway

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Cygni posted:

It's true, at first I was using some junky 1366x768 TN panel, then I got a nice 1920x1080 IPS, then I overclocked that to 72hz and had to go higher, so I bought a 144hz, but it felt like the response times were a tad slow so I upgraded to a 240hz monitor....now I want to upgrade my PC some more to actually get that framerate in more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Asus TUF 3080 up for preorder at B&H - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1593650-REG/asus_tuf_rtx3080_o10g_gaming_tuf_gaming_geforce_rtx.html