Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought the "cspam picture" was going to involve koalas...

Like one of those local interest stories with am angry looking farmer cross-armed under a koala in a tree, or some suit politician looking to curry favour and doing some ridiculously awkward photo op with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol no most historians agree that the ndsap rose to power by racistly scapegoating others in a noticeably racist way it wasn't the liberals or communists fault hahaha

:actually: the NSDAP rose to power because German conservatives thought they could harness the popularity of the extreme right to conservative ends, and they were wrong. Here's your brief history of late Weimar Germany:

late 1920s, the Depression hits and it hits Germany hardest of pretty much anywhere. Unemployment hits like 40%. People are mad.

the conservatives in charge, guys like Hindenburg, respond by basically abandoning the democratically-elected parliament once nobody could command a majority coalition, and instead start ruling by decree using emergency powers. They decide the solution to the Depression is austerity, so they cut the budget which makes everything worse. Every six months or so they fire the chancellor because his austerity isn't working, and bring in a new guy who does a new round of austerity which makes everything worse again.

this goes on for a couple years. the economy is not recovering. desperate Germans start voting for the only two parties that promise to end austerity, which is the NSDAP and the KPD. The Nazis go from 2.5% of the vote in 1928 to 18% in 1930 to 37% in July 1932. By November 1932 the Nazis are back down to 33% while the SPD and KPD combined are at 38%. Workers mostly vote for the leftist parties while the German middle classes mostly vote for the Nazis.

The conservatives in charge decide that what they really need is to harness Hitler's popularity to back their conservative agenda, so they appoint Hitler chancellor in January 1933, thinking that either they'll be able to moderate his extremism once he's in power (lol) or that he'll be just as ineffectual as their past string of failed conservative chancellors and that'll be the end of Hitler. None of that works out for obvious reasons.

no one was ever in any doubt that the Nazis were super ultra racist, it was on display for everyone to see, but that racism and scapegoating wasn't a winning electoral strategy until the Depression made millions of Germans afraid of mass unemployment and what seemed to them like violence and chaos in the streets. Germans were super racist but that didn't manifest in them saying "hell yeah I'm super excited to vote for the overt antisemitism party", it manifested in them saying "I'm voting for the law-and-order and let's-end-austerity party, and their overt antisemitism is not a dealbreaker for me" which is absolutely still racist but it's a different kind of racism that is not adequately explained by saying the Nazis ran on racism and won because the electorate was racist.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lobok posted:

Like one of those local interest stories with am angry looking farmer cross-armed under a koala in a tree, or some suit politician looking to curry favour and doing some ridiculously awkward photo op with one.

Is this better?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inceltown posted:

Is this better?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1304208054993420290

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lobok posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

vyelkin posted:

words on the Nazi rise to power

this made for an interesting read, thanks

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Where has this meme been all my life?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/A_MilanosFace/status/1304129385574723584

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also the nazis did actually significantly reduce unemployment and invest in projects like the autobahn once in power which probably helped solidify their popular support

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

talk poo poo on Tommy B. or the River-daughter and you can catch these fuckin’ hands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

this is literally a squidbillies joke

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1304220148157616134?s=09

Set your alarms.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Excerpts taken from "German Social Democracy and the Rise of Nazism", by Donna Harsch

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gonna be hard to nut on such a tight schedule but I've been training up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dreddout posted:

People like to focus on the treaty of versailles as the cause of Hitlers rise but really the spd deserves equal blame for loving up at every opportunity

You’re praising them with faint drat here.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this is also gitfiscal level. who the gently caress likes a post like that (except for edgy USA haters like me)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Action Jacktion posted:

lol seriously

"sure Hitler's bad, but those liberal SPDs are just so annoying!"

The SPD and the KPD were literally shooting at each other a few years earlier, and the SPD won by allying with proto-fascist death squads and letting them round up all the communists so "the liberals want to kill us and will work with the fascists to do it" was objective truth in interwar Germany.

E: Beaten like a Rotfront street militia

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol no most historians agree that the ndsap rose to power by racistly scapegoating others in a noticeably racist way it wasn't the liberals or communists fault hahaha

Yeah and racial scapegoating wouldn't have been effective in an economy that wasn't driven into the ground. (Which can't be completely blamed on versailles as the inflationary policy of the liberals drove the crisis into overdrive)

French people were just as anti-semitic as germans but they didn't end up electing fascists because liberalism hadn't been discredited in france

Not to mention the weimar republic was too liberal in constitution for its own good, to the point where it was possible to legislate away the constitution using a simple parliamentary majority.

The rise of the Reich was a fait accompli after the spd led forces crushed the communists. It's not a coincidence that similar failed revolutions happened in italy hungary and finland before those nations fell to fascism either, as walter benjamin put "every rise of fascism beared witness to a failed revolution"

When liberals crush communists by force of arms fascism becomes an inevitability

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

he's referencing the Weimar republic version of the KPD, which more often attacked the centrist-ish SPD than the Nazi party. The KPD declared themselves "antifascists" and considered both the Nazi party and SPD to be fascist but considered the SPD to be a more insidious kind of fascism and focused their efforts there. Any experts on this part of history can fill in the gaps or tell me i'm dumb and bad and got it all wrong

You've actually got it the other way around.

The Social Democrats had a militant/paramilitary wing called the Iron Front, which adopted the Three Arrows symbology - one arrow against monarchism, one arrow against Nazism, and one arrow against communism.

This is same symbology that has been adopted by some contemporary antifascist movements.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

R. Mute posted:

worth mentioning that the SPD used fascist militias to crush the german revolution of 1918 and had the leaders of the communist party murdered about a decade before all this, so I guess maybe the KPD had a good reason to hate the SPD
Now I didn't watch much Power Rangers but I think I wouldve heard about this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Social Democrats had a militant/paramilitary wing called the Iron Front, which adopted the Three Arrows symbology - one arrow against monarchism, one arrow against Nazism, and one arrow against communism.

This is same symbology that has been adopted by some contemporary antifascist movements.

Worth adding that in 1932-33 the KPD had their own paramilitary wing called Antifaschistische Aktion, which was pretty commonly referred to as Antifa for short, and some contemporary antifascist groups draw on its imagery as well. This was the KPD headquarters in 1932, for instance:

Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Mistyears/status/1304068342869880835?s=20 I'm great at stealing posts to share with people!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, I said that in a needlessly dickish way. Was just expecting the post to go there.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

vyelkin posted:

Worth adding that in 1932-33 the KPD had their own paramilitary wing called Antifaschistische Aktion, which was pretty commonly referred to as Antifa for short, and some contemporary antifascist groups draw on its imagery as well. This was the KPD headquarters in 1932, for instance:

One of the funniest irony's in history is modern antifa's incorporation of both kpd and spd iconography. It's like the american leftist counterpart to those dudes who combine the CSA and American flag

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Ayin posted:

Now I didn't watch much Power Rangers but I think I wouldve heard about this

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lobok posted:

Yeah, I said that in a needlessly dickish way. Was just expecting the post to go there.

If you can't be a bit needlessly dickish on the SA forums from time to time what even is the point of them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Lobok posted:

it was just a dumb meta joke

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

too bad its a parody :(

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

she is that loving stupid to post something like that though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

someone a while back posted "jolly tom, tom morello; gently caress you he wont do what you tell-o" and it's been stuck in my head ever since

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

NM NM NM NO

Mao Zedong Thot has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Sep 11, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Nazis criticised the autobahn as being a luxury for the elite who could afford motorcars.

Then they took power, continued construction, and took credit for the whole thing.

There would be a car for the common people, a folks wagon, if you will, and they launched a Kickstarter for it after stealing the design from a Czech Jew.

Then they started the bloody war. Oops! All armaments! Sucks about your life savings LOL.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

someone a while back posted "jolly tom, tom morello; gently caress you he wont do what you tell-o" and it's been stuck in my head ever since

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/589fba0774390-wall-kicks-will-work-methamphetamine-edition.php

mute the video on the right

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Platystemon posted:

The Nazis criticised the autobahn as being a luxury for the elite who could afford motorcars.

Then they took power, continued construction, and took credit for the whole thing.

There would be a car for the common people, a folks wagon, if you will, and they launched a Kickstarter for it after stealing the design from a Czech Jew.

Then they started the bloody war. Oops! All armaments! Sucks about your life savings LOL.

The bit in Wages of Destructiin about what a massive grift the Volkswagen was is a rare moment of levity

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Would hang with that hog. Feed him beer and potato chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/davidlparsons/status/1304136669503709184