Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

my favorite criticism of 1619 is that enslaved Africans were brought to St. Augustine Florida in 1565. So 1619 is only the first arrival of enslaved African people in English colonies, not the future US as a whole. I'm all about technicalities

gradenko_2000 posted:

* when a statue of Ulysses S Grant was pulled down, people started justifying it on the basis that, despite Grant's involvement in the Civil War and the black emancipation that it produced, Grant was also an active participant in the Indian Wars. When someone pointed out that the genocide of Native Americans was an "original sin" of America that predated even black slavery, Jones waded in to helpfully point out that even Native Americans owned black slaves, as though to assert that black people still had it worse regardless.

did anyone ever ask Nikole Hannah-Jones about the English colonial practice of enslaving Native Americans, and selling them to plantations in the Caribbean\

sadly, more people probably yelled at her about excluding the "Irish slaves" from her story

lol this snype sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

Hmm. Would you say they should be expelled from the movement???

expel them from what? these people are not involved in leftist politics in any meaningful way

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/Slogperson/status/1304233392842641410?s=19

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mootropics

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol @ reed accurately assessing am affairs and nagle and causing some primo meltdowns today among a certain type of contrarian leftist

https://twitter.com/carlbeijer/status/1304152015895920645?s=21

trying to stir up poo poo in discord

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Atrocious Joe posted:

did anyone ever ask Nikole Hannah-Jones about the English colonial practice of enslaving Native Americans, and selling them to plantations in the Caribbean\

sadly, more people probably yelled at her about excluding the "Irish slaves" from her story

you're not far off

https://twitter.com/nhannahjones/status/1109146310198870017

the version of the 1619 project that's in the proposed school curriculum is a heavily excerpted version of her essay with none of the controversial (for anyone to the left of nathan bedford forrest) stuff left in it that boils down to "here's why black people are skeptical of the founders" but she's super annoying and i wish someone else had been picked to write that instead

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree with whoever said that being a product of the NYT is all you need to know to write it off.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
columbus and the spanish absolutely loving deleted the taino 100 years before the first african slaves arrived in the colonies but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative (?)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Wonder if Virgil isn't gonna stick around at Chapo

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i like virgil but that sounds boring as hell

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

really dumb pod name too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shirts and skins posted:

nah, its too much of a good payday to quit. they're pulling in like $2 million a year split 5-ways. i dont think hes going anywhere. also podcasting is both simultaneously a lot of work but also not a lot of work depending on the research and technical/production side of things, im sure he's not involved at all in doing any real audio post-processing, uploading, scripts/research for it so it's probably pretty trivial amount of work to co-host another one.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

get this, you can get paid twice by doing two podcast....

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

birgil gonna be the wonk of his dreams now

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

schrodinger's worker

THS
Sep 15, 2017

god you’re all so unnecessary negative

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Virgil remains the second worst chapo

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't understand how American Affairs is a neo-nazi journal to be honest. Seems they publish a lot of articles about class, those who started it are some sort of Conservatives but the readership is purportedly about evenly split between left and right identifying people.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Sep 11, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Grevling posted:

I don't understand how American Affairs is a neo-nazi journal to be honest. Seems they publish a lot of articles about class, those who started it are some sort of small Conservatives but the readership is purportedly about evenly split between left and right identifying people.

i think they were accusing julius krein of being a neo-nazi

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm listening to the virgil podcast and i like it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gio posted:

really dumb pod name too

it was originally going to be Liz Bruenig and Ross Douthat discussing contemporary US Catholicism

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm listening to the virgil podcast and i like it

I'm 3 minutes in and it sounds like it's still the intro-blurb. I really hope that it's only this long for the first episode, because while it's fine for the first episode, if I have to listen to the same 5 minute intro every time it's going to get old fast

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Grevling posted:

I don't understand how American Affairs is a neo-nazi journal to be honest. Seems they publish a lot of articles about class, those who started it are some sort of small Conservatives but the readership is purportedly about evenly split between left and right identifying people.

you loving guppy

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Virgil is funny, the panel made my brain leak out my ears.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

pod intro should be 30 seconds maximum beyond that is just the producer jerking off

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's probably an intro to the concept of the pod. that said, anyone that posts in CSPAM likely doesn't need the summary of hellworld progression and I skipped through it

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

cenotaph posted:

Virgil is funny, the panel made my brain leak out my ears.

yeah Glenn acting like the primary was legitimate or representative of voters at all was infuriating. it's also extremely weird that Grey reaches the conclusion that "at this moment, Biden needs to win" while being like, the highest-profile Bernie staffer who refused to endorse Biden?

they're just kinda parroting all the mainstream media assumptions about why Bernie lost, that he didn't engage black people and that young people didn't show up, completely ignoring the mass voter suppression on college campuses and other areas with young demographics and the fact that Bernie was leading amongst black voters pretty much everywhere except South Carolina. i guess i was hoping that Brihana refusing to endorse Biden meant we'd finally have a pod where a Bernie staffer wasn't too afraid of claims of sour grapes to say the primary was outright rigged, and it's not that. so maybe it's my own fault.

but even the intro leads you to believe they'll cover how Biden 180'd his position on the safety of polling places once Bernie left the race, and they just didn't touch it. like why is nobody covering that

Pirate Jet has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Sep 11, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally, virgil has succumbed to electoralism

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Finicums Wake posted:

i think they were accusing julius krein of being a neo-nazi

With the caveat that Reed's opinion obviously weighs a lot more than mine, that seems hyperbolic to me, despite him being named Julius Krein. It seemed more like certain smarter conservatives somehow realizing that capitalism is eroding everything they care about and realigning themselves away from the "free market" gospel towards some sort of dirigisme maybe. But since Reed points out American Affairs' funding I'm starting to rethink. Especially since they've apparently received hundreds of thousands of dollars from Donor Trust; i.e. literally Koch money lol.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no magazine that's going to work for the left is going to give you two thousand dollars for a book review. that's a ridiculous amount of money for a book review, and leftie magazines do not have that kind of funding, especially in post-cold-war america

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Reed talks a bit more about clout and money chasing in the full interview. I wonder if this is just going to become more and more of a problem, as more and more downward mobility among the educated will make it tempting to make a devil's bargain and write in some unsavory places.

The solution is obvious: cancel everyone who's ever written an article.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you do see this tendency other places. one that hits a little closer to home is tinkzorg writing for a swedish democrats-aligned rag as a black communist because he wants to keep writing for a living and they're the ones who'll take him

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo one does what one must to keep eating, but never forget that the house always wins. the magazine has a strategy that you fit into, and you're letting them use you by taking that money. reed is iirc a professor so he's comfortable enough that he really hasn't an excuse imo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah he's been retired for a little bit and he still writes for other outlets so he's in a position where he can both refuse whoever's laundered cash is fronting that vdare knockoff and call it out for what it is

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The latest Matt stream was him barely without a voice being very upset about this as well.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kunster posted:

The latest Matt stream was him barely without a voice being very upset about this as well.

What was the gist of it?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
He's been heading in this direction for a while, granted, but I'm not really into normie electoral pundit Virgil.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Come on, you guys are joking. No way are greenwald, joy Grey, and texas falling into the democrat party line and supporting Joe biden. That's too far fetched even for this thread.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

she wants the current american

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MizPiz posted:

What was the gist of it?

I popped in the last minutes, but what I heard was him having that exasperated, barely a voice voice talking on how Reed should have reached Nagle and how this is yet something else dividing the left.