Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Len posted:

I'm not far enough to have a real opinion but it just kind of feels like a platformer to me? Is Mario basically the platformer equivalent of Dragon Quest and if you like the gametype at all you'll like the game?

No, because Dragon Quest's gameplay is really bland and unremarkable (even the people in this thread who sing its praises tend to recommend setting the ai to do the battles automatically and turning animation speeds to max) whereas Mario's gameplay is incredibly fun and tightly designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Len posted:

I'm also playing Odyssey for the first time. A friend loaned me his copy after finding out I'm not a fan of Mario games "but how? How can anyone not like Mario?"

I'm not far enough to have a real opinion but it just kind of feels like a platformer to me? Is Mario basically the platformer equivalent of Dragon Quest and if you like the gametype at all you'll like the game?

I'm still probably going to pickup the mario trilogy at some point in the next couple months for my partner since she's interested in the box

Yes and no? Platformers tend to fall into one of a couple different genre buckets, with the most prominent two being an open world-ish exploration style a la Mario Odyssey, Yooka-Laylee, and the billion collectathons of the N64 era, and the streamlined level to level style like the Donkey Kong Country games, Mario 3/World, or Rayman Legends (just to name a few). Liking one doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not you're a fan of the other, although yes, Mario does tend to have the best and most polished mechanics of the genre out there. If you do end up getting the collection, 64 and Sunshine are in the former bucket and Galaxy is in the latter one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snake Maze posted:

No, because Dragon Quest's gameplay is really bland and unremarkable (even the people in this thread who sing its praises tend to recommend setting the ai to do the battles automatically and turning animation speeds to max) whereas Mario's gameplay is incredibly fun and tightly designed.

I had fun with all 100 hours of dq11 though?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

No, because Dragon Quest's gameplay is really bland and unremarkable

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Scott Pilgrim is good if you are a fan of the source material/movie. The graphics are cool and the soundtrack is awesome, glad it's coming back.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What does rubberbanding in racing games mean? I don’t play much of them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
/\/\

When the AI artificially increases the speed of CPU racers to catch up with you way beyond what their cars are actually capable of to give you a challenge

I enjoyed the game but I don't think you can argue the game does anything remotely outside of the box, the most common praise it gets in here is that it's like comfort food

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Social Animal posted:

What does rubberbanding in racing games mean? I don’t play much of them.

basically, CPU racers will get artificially faster (or slower) to keep up with you and make it competitive.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Can you honestly tell me that the gameplay of Dragon Quest is particularly interesting? I'm not talking about the story or npc dialogue or whatever, I mean the actual fights themselves. It's a bog standard jrpg that never gets more complicated than "use your strongest attacks, heal when injured"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I was going to say DQ11 combat was a step up from Xenoblade Chronicles but they are both not good and it's more a lateral move

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Snake Maze posted:

Can you honestly tell me that the gameplay of Dragon Quest is particularly interesting? I'm not talking about the story or npc dialogue or whatever, I mean the actual fights themselves. It's a bog standard jrpg that never gets more complicated than "use your strongest attacks, heal when injured"

Its over fast.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

It’s good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think DQ11 has plenty of challenge if you turn on some combination of the difficulty settings. So yes I like the gameplay a lot.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I can sort of get the appeal of turn-based JRPGs and I played through and enjoyed many of them when I was younger but, yeah

when I tried playing Xenoblade Chronicles I literally fell asleep during the first boss battle

FFVIIR's "okay we can just actually make action games now" is the way of the future

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bleck posted:

I can sort of get the appeal of turn-based JRPGs and I played through and enjoyed many of them when I was younger but, yeah

when I tried playing Xenoblade Chronicles I literally fell asleep during the first boss battle

How

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm playing DQ8 right now on the 3ds and I'm kind of enjoying it but also the combat is boring as hell and I had to grind for hours to be able to beat the first real boss. Games like FF7R are a lot more fun IMO.

That said I just beat Earthbound and after DQ8 I'll probably play Xenoblade Chronicles. I can deal with the slow turn based stuff I just wish there were more RPGs that blended turn based and action better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Xenoblade isn’t turn based it’s functionally the same system FF7 remake uses real time with cool downs

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Xenoblade isn’t turn based it’s functionally the same system FF7 remake uses real time with cool downs

Oh well that's good to know then! I was under the impression it was turn based.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wish it were turn based. Don’t really care for its battle system

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yes mario is a platformer delete the rest of this page

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario Odyssey is a metroidvania

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

I enjoyed the game but I don't think you can argue the game does anything remotely outside of the box
It built the box.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I really enjoyed Dragon quest 8 when I played it back on the PS2. Beautiful game, I was kinda behind on the genre at the time but I was impressed the entire world was like explorable and not a dinky little map you ran across between locations.

The combat was pretty bad though, there was a whole mechanic where you could spend turns powering your characters up but every boss in the game had a move that removed all your buffs so it was literally never useful.

People play JRPGs for different reasons, I'm sure Dragon Quest's mechanics are deep and satisfying for those inclined, I play jrpgs mainly for the worlds and environments and just sort of put up with the battles. There's at least 3 Final Fantasy Games I've stopped playing at the gates of the final dungeon because there's obviously no more charming towns to explore past that point and your guys probably kill the baddie at the end so who cares.

Honestly it's cool that more Jrpgs these days seem to cater for people who don't really care for the battles while also including optional challenges and difficulty modes for people who like to get in there and really master the mechanics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bleck posted:

people saying "bad gameplay but it looks nice and has great music" about Scott Pilgrim as though there has ever been any other way to describe a beat-em-up

D&D: Shadow over Mystara looks good and its gameplay is fun (unless you have mutliple casters pausing the game every 5 seconds, I guess) while having decent arcade music.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My issue with Scott Pilgrim is that it had, or seems to have had, fewer features than RCR, the game it was trying hard to be some sort of spiritual sequel to. No special skills learned from books (were there even stats to upgrade?) , and while you could go to the map to go into the next area, the levels were far too long and you couldn't leave whenever you wanted to. No backtracking that I can remember, either (which could be a good or bad thing). I really love the free roaming aspect of RCR, as I think many others do as well.

It really felt like a sort of updated Double Dragon game where you could buy stuff with money.

But hey, compared to most licensed games, it was perfect.

You upgraded stats through shop purchases like in RCR and I could've sworn there were additional moves you learned. Maybe they were from levels or something and not the shops though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I used auto battle as much as possible in dq11 and loved every second of it

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Len posted:

I'm also playing Odyssey for the first time. A friend loaned me his copy after finding out I'm not a fan of Mario games "but how? How can anyone not like Mario?"

I'm still probably going to pickup the mario trilogy at some point in the next couple months for my partner since she's interested in the box

i don't like platformers and enjoyed odyssey quite a bit fwiw. it manages to make it fun by focusing more on exploration and discovery instead of trying to reach a goal at the end of the level without dying. not that it didn't have sections that were like that but they didn't overshadow the fun parts for me. though maybe i'm just not familiar enough with platformers.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I also feel that two major factors are:

- The game was released at a time when modern beat-em-ups didn't exist. The indie scene was still young and besides Castle Crashers no other "modern beat-em-ups existed".

- Charming and high-end pixel art wasn't as common in 2010. Today finding 2D games with similar amount of art and detail seems to be released every week, but at the time it was much more rare.

Yeah, Paul Robertson is on a really short list, especially back then.

https://youtu.be/xyvu5QTbPkk
Of course in 2006 someone is gonna see Pirate Baby Cabana battle and be all

O HOLKY FLUCK MAKE THIZZ A GAME!!1
:goonsay:

But Ubisoft jobs it out to their Chengdu office and it’s kinda run like a movie tie in game instead of a thoroughly new wave retro game it is.
I feel they can make a good game out of these existing assets that’s a world apart from the original release. So, hopefully that’s happened and the game has gotten a thorough reworking so it plays as well as it should have.

Edit: Just remembered I saw the Scott Pilgrim game at Pax Prime/West 2010, the same year Duke Nukem was a closed door demo at the show and people were lined up four hours deep to go see it.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 11, 2020

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Part of why dragon quest XI without difficulty modifiers is easy is because it has a lot of modern qol that earlier entries in the series did not. A lot of the older games had the strategy wasn't necessarily in the individual battles but in managing your resources. Do I try to use some big spells or am I gonna need that MP later? Should I try to run from this fight or am I going to give away a dangerous number of free moves? Do I even try and do this dungeon in one trip or do I accept that that might not be happening? In DQ XI resources are plentiful and many dungeons offer healing or at the very least some MP restoratives before boss fights, which makes the game more approachable for those who just want to see the story but yeah it definitely doesn't require the degree of thought some of the earlier games did.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah to get that sense of danger again you'll wanna try something like Etrian Odyssey, as DQ has also adopted the FF approach of relatively chill stress free game flow.

The stress of risking it all just to explore a little bit further is a big part of why I enjoy RPGs though and old DQ games were all about that. For the time they were still pretty streamlined and babbys first jrpg though, as retaining your experience and losing half your gold is still a form of progress whereas other RPGs just made you reset to your last save

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah but with how gold drop rates were in the early games sometimes it was tempting to just load the last save anyway.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Motto posted:

The reward for getting literally every Moon in the game is pretty insignificant it's just your balloon turning gold iirc, but meaningful content unlocks cap out at 500 moons (though you can cheese this). That said, getting 500 moons is treated like getting 100% in other 3D Marios since Galaxy 2, a bonus challenge with a final, extra-hard level for particularly dedicated players, and it's entirely valid to consider yourself done at the end of the story or whenever you feel done with it.
There's a little more than that but personally it doesn't sound worth it to do. I enjoy collecting to a degree and I got to 500 just messing around and exploring the areas, but finding every moon and then getting even more sounds like a chore to me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

it was not fun or engaging or even very nice to look at

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

Becky/Miki-chan has been around since the first game's Famicom port in 1987.
As for Heavenly Guardian, knowing that it was supposed to be Kiki Kaikai 2 was heartbreaking. The original concept screenshots were so good, and then "Snow Battle Princess Sayuki" drops and the magic is just gone. I still bought the Switch port, because I want to support this series no matter what.

Oh huh, didn't know that Becky went that far back. Neat!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bleck posted:

it was not fun or engaging or even very nice to look at

wtaf

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mario and Dragon Quest are kinda The Beatles of their respective genres. Might seem old-hat at this point but that's mostly because everyone's been trodding on their ground for decades.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Mario Odyssey is a metroidvania
Metroidvania is an anagram for Deviant Mario

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I saw the trailer for Immortals: Fenyx Rising and while it has the stupidest loving title ever and the song they picked from the cinematic trailer was a really odd choice that didn't work, it does look kinda good. Not good enough to make me look past Ubi's fuckery but maybe I'll get it used someday.

It does feel like what a Kid Icarus game might have been if they hadn't made Uprising.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

notthegoatseguy posted:

SNES controllers are back on the Nintendo shop. They've been out of stock for a while.

drat you for reminding me these exist, I'm now out $50AUD because I'm weak :cripes:.

Also the Australian Nintendo online store now has a much less dodgy-looking payment system than it used to, as a general FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also though, why hasn't the guy who made the graphics for that game made like, 10 more games by now or something? There's that, and then there's Mercenary Kings, which I didn't like at all, but I think that's it?

I don’t know and it’s heartbreaking. He should have any studio making a 2D game dumping buckets of money at his front door.

I think the gameplay of both Scott Pilgrim and Mercenary Kings is kind of poo poo, but love them both to death just because of his art. Even his art couldn’t save Wizorb IMO.

This track from Scott Pilgrim is still in my regular rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmnzDGmCxI