Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is there any research advantage to joining those organizations if you had ancestors fighting on the wrong side of history? My great-grandmother, who did like 90% of our family research, was a member of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is there any research advantage to joining those organizations if you had ancestors fighting on the wrong side of history? My great-grandmother, who did like 90% of our family research, was a member of everything.

Probably (all those genteel old ladies can probably help with which dusty tomes are buried in which county courthouse that Sherman (PBUH) didn't burn). But its mostly just bragging rights with the advent of the internet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My hot take is that DAR is also creepy and weird.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had poor luck with genealogical organizations thus far. I was so excited to find a whole group dedicated to my relatively uncommon last name and even contributed DNA and none of them are related to me. I uncovered no new info. A distant ancestor probably stole someone’s identity as their own.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve had poor luck with genealogical organizations thus far. I was so excited to find a whole group dedicated to my relatively uncommon last name and even contributed DNA and none of them are related to me. I uncovered no new info. A distant ancestor probably stole someone’s identity as their own.

Negative results are still results!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My hot take is that DAR is also creepy and weird.

Honestly they all started as an exercise in ‘more American than thou, filthy immigrant’ so there’s always an element of weirdness to it. DAR has kind of opened its doors online recently and added Y-DNA proof as valid for membership finally. And they do have one hell of a library. And I think they still offer college scholarships if that’s something you might benefit from.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oracle posted:

Honestly they all started as an exercise in ‘more American than thou, filthy immigrant’ so there’s always an element of weirdness to it. DAR has kind of opened its doors online recently and added Y-DNA proof as valid for membership finally. And they do have one hell of a library. And I think they still offer college scholarships if that’s something you might benefit from.

Not American enough for that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not American enough for that.

Ironically enough, the good citizen scholarship does not require one to be a citizen.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Oracle posted:

I think they've accepted Y DNA for a while, but they did recently (as in I think they announced within the past week) add mitochondrial & autosomal DNA to the mix.

I am a DAR member, and really I think what you can get out of it depends on if you can find a good chapter. I'm in the Chicago area and lucked out, I think, in getting sent to a smaller, younger and lefter skewing chapter rather than the main Chicago chapter. Even so, I find that there can be a patronizing and homogenizing attitude towards native Americans and obviously the attitude towards the military isn't exactly as skeptical as my own. Still, finding a chapter I generally gel with was really nice, given my aunt's experiences in Cleveland (all conservative suburban ladies) and my chapter registrar's experiences trying and failing to find a chapter in New Orleans since she's moved down there.

The history of the organization obviously deserves a skeptical eye, from its founding to its (at times aggressive) whiteness/racism to the Christian flavoring of anything coming out of national. And everything is just a little old fashioned in a bad way--even my chapter is only just this year stopping from calling women Mrs Husband's Name at all (previously it was in parentheses in the yearbook, now it'll just list spouses' names).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Emily Spinach posted:

I think they've accepted Y DNA for a while, but they did recently (as in I think they announced within the past week) add mitochondrial & autosomal DNA to the mix.
That was it. I could only find the YDNA thing (back in 2014) and am busy as poo poo right now (no time for genealogy :P) so good enough'd it. Thanks for the clarification.

quote:

I am a DAR member, and really I think what you can get out of it depends on if you can find a good chapter. I'm in the Chicago area and lucked out, I think, in getting sent to a smaller, younger and lefter skewing chapter rather than the main Chicago chapter. Even so, I find that there can be a patronizing and homogenizing attitude towards native Americans and obviously the attitude towards the military isn't exactly as skeptical as my own. Still, finding a chapter I generally gel with was really nice, given my aunt's experiences in Cleveland (all conservative suburban ladies) and my chapter registrar's experiences trying and failing to find a chapter in New Orleans since she's moved down there.

The history of the organization obviously deserves a skeptical eye, from its founding to its (at times aggressive) whiteness/racism to the Christian flavoring of anything coming out of national. And everything is just a little old fashioned in a bad way--even my chapter is only just this year stopping from calling women Mrs Husband's Name at all (previously it was in parentheses in the yearbook, now it'll just list spouses' names).
Good. Treat it like the Masons, where young people are going in and taking over (average age of a mason is like 77 or something ridic).

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

There's a whole separate thread for African-American genealogy over in the Minority Rapport sub-forum. So, yeah :) You can feel free to ask here too but you may find your answer already there. American Indian is trickier but doable depending on when/where you're looking.

And yeah, DOC can go jump off a hell of a lot of cliffs.

Holy cow, you did a LOT of work with that write-up. Turns out I got all excited over nothing--fake family lore attached by a mistranscribed census record that apparently no one ever thought to look at the original. I've never been so disappointed. Should have seen it coming, though, as that line is riddled with gaps, mistakes, and deliberately omitted information.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't think she really thought it through beyond "genealogy club for the South where they swap local history books."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Brennanite posted:

I don't think she really thought it through beyond "genealogy club for the South where they swap local history books."

I'm going to guess you had to be a member of everything back then since there wasn't a central repository of most data. For years after she died, whenever I did research online I'd stumble across her name in the category, "members who haven't checked in for years". Yeah, she'd be 115 now. I think you can mark her as inactive.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AncestryDNA is 40% off: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/458938?c_id=5189&u_id=67424549&d=081320

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Re: African-American Genealogy — I don't think I ever posted this itt, so:

Carthag Tuek posted:

If anyone has ancestors in the U.S. Virgin Islands, formerly Danish West Indies, I will glady help.

Shorty history: Denmark colonised St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. John in the late 1600s, and bought, sold, and transported slaves until 1814 when that was made illegal. Born slaves were still slaves until 1848, when then governor von Scholten was "forced" to give them all free.

As the centennial (Denmark sold the islands to the US in 1917) has approached, there's been published a number of articles about our hidden/ignored slave-profiteer past. It's incredibly shameful to read articles from that time. We've pretty much as a nation pretended it didn't happen. The USVI have gifted a sculpture to the Danish state that I hope will be placed somewhere prominent.

Anyway, my main point: The Danish National Archives have just made public their digitization of a lot of the "West Indies" archives.
https://www.virgin-islands-history.org/en/

There's scans of some 5 millions of documents I think. Most will be in Danish, but I'll be happy to translate anything and/or help point the way.

E: If there's interest, I can try and write up like an overview of Danish govt systems in the 18th and 19th centuries, as I know them. Jurisdictions (& thus in which documents you should look) are crazy complicated in my experience.

Also, to add: There's a national archive-sponsored crowdsourcing transcription project going through all these archives here:
https://cs.sa.dk/collection/3

The results of which are continually discoverable via the virgin-islands-history.org website, here's an example search for the Danish equivalent of John Smith:
https://www.virgin-islands-history.org/en/search-the-records/search-results/?qu=Jens+Hansen&iso_date_from=&iso_date_to=&language=en

Also gonna restate my offer to help with Danish/Norwegian/Swedish genealogy questions. Hell, I'll throw in the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and Iceland as well!

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 14, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ooooh RootsTech is going all virtual and ALL FREE this year! (Well, next year. 25-27 Feb. 2021 to be precise)

What is RootsTech?

quote:

The annual family history conference, RootsTech, hosted by FamilySearch (and the Mormons), has become the largest event of its kind in the world, attracting tens of thousands of participants every year.

RootsTech Connect 2021 will feature a variety of keynote speakers, dozens of classes in multiple languages and a virtual marketplace.

Throughout the three-day online event, attendees will have the ability to interact with presenters, exhibitors and other attendees through live chat and Q&A sessions.

“Classes will be taught in many languages, and presenters will teach from a number of international locations,” said Rockwood. “We will celebrate cultures and traditions from around the world, with activities that the audience can participate in from home — such as homeland cooking demonstrations, storytelling and music performances. This is one virtual event you won’t want to miss.”

RootsTech Connect 2021 will offer a combination of both livestream and on-demand content to accommodate differences in time zones for participants. In addition, sessions will be available to view on-demand after the event concludes.

RootsTech organizers hope participants can gather in-person again in the future, but they anticipate that the RootsTech Connect virtual opportunity will become a regular addition to the conference.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My French-Canadians are killing me, man, they are KILLING. ME.

Decided to try and set up a basic tree on 23&Me and up pop a bunch of French last names with matches in the 3rd cousin range, so I decide hey I can try to fit some of these on my tree, since I recognize the surnames.

And that's how I managed in 20 minutes to add four duplicates to my tree. Upon merging them I find out that a 5th great-grandmother's descendant married my 1st cousin three times removed on ANOTHER line (Irish!) on my dad's tree (which is where all the French-Canadians come from). So that at least explains where a few of the confusing shared matches on Ancestry that matched with two distinct branches on the tree came from. For now. Until I discover the bastards married into my mom's side also or something because I have a feeling THAT'S coming.

I swear they're like roaches, they're EVERYWHERE.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 7, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Why would someone be entered into a baptism register twice, a day apart, with the same baby name and parents, but different sponsors? I'm inclined to think it's a mistake that wasn't crossed out but are there any reasons not to conclude that it's a duplicate entry?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 11, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

Why would someone be entered into a baptism register twice, a day apart, with the same baby name and parents, but different sponsors? I'm inclined to think it's a mistake that wasn't crossed out but are there any reasons not to conclude that it's a duplicate entry?

They promised two different sets of people they could be godparents and had them both do so (possibly one set from each side of the family)? The previous godparents perished suddenly and they needed new ones stat? Something terrible was found out about godparents(1) and so they needed godparents(2)? Some of the godparents couldn't be there for the first ceremony so they just did it again once they arrived?

Just spitballing there. One clue if they're German records is who's the kid named after, in tons of records for my German lines the sponsors are those the kid is named after (sans saints name) up until about the 1870s.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks! They're Irish, but these are among the earliest records available so their parent's marriages may or may not be recorded, hopefully I'll find out soon. Here's the entries:

Entry 1: 27th John Coffee son of John Coffee, Sponsor Catherine Coffee

Entry 2: 28th John Coffee son of John Coffee & Catherine Nolan (Something common to other entries) of Listellicky, Sponsors Andrew Coffee, Ellen Kelly

This is less important, but I'm interested in what the last word here is and if the phrase is a standard one for Illegitimate children?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think that last bit says "Ego idem baptizavi Joannem filium Illegitimum Catharina [Houran] et Thadæi Nolan ut mater afverit" (afuerit), so something like "I also baptized John the illegitimate son of Catherine Houran and Thadeus Nolan, as the mother is absent". Perhaps the father or John Coffee/his wife else held the child in place of the mother? I don't know who traditionally held the child for Irish catholic baptisms, but in some places it is the mother and other places it is a special sponsor.

I've seen duplicate entries before and will generally take it to be the first one that is correct. But seeing as they're right next to each other and neither is crossed out, it can hardly be a accidental. Perhaps the first John without a named mother is illegitimate, with John the elder's wife as the sponsor, and the second John is legitimate? I can't really think of anything else :shrug:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 11, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Cheers. I figured it was something to do with the mother but I haven't anything to do with latin or churches at all.

Yeah the whole double thing is a little bit unfathomable, it seems extremely unlikely that two Johns Coffee son of Johns Coffee turn up within a day of each other when the whole of County Kerry 1790-1799 only turns up six results [and only four that I'm sure aren't duplicate].

Carthag Tuek posted:

Perhaps the first John without a named mother is illegitimate, with John the elder's wife as the sponsor, and the second John is legitimate? I can't really think of anything else :shrug:
Isn't the first line filium leg. i.e. legitimate? If I find that there's a whole extra family unit hanging around I guess I know where it might fit, but perhaps the priest was just having a terrible day on the level of the surveyor I posted in the historical pictures thread or transcribing from some terrible older book or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oops yeah, it does say filium leg on both Johns. I got nothing then :(

e: I think it could also simply be "in the absence of the mother" in the other one, ie the priest just noted that she wasn't there. Perhaps she was ill from the birth or in jail or skipped town or something.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 11, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

Yeah the whole double thing is a little bit unfathomable, it seems extremely unlikely that two Johns Coffee son of Johns Coffee turn up within a day of each other when the whole of County Kerry 1790-1799 only turns up six results [and only four that I'm sure aren't duplicate].
Actually... in this period of time in Ireland, this is not a safe bet, due to naming conventions and the tendency for people to stick around where they were born.

See, the naming convention goes like this:

code:
 First born son named after his father's father
    Second born son named after his mother's father
    Third born son named after his father
    Fourth born son named after his father's oldest brother
    Fifth born son named after his father's 2nd oldest brother
    or his mother's oldest brother

First born daughter named after her mother's mother
    Second born daughter named after her father's mother
    Third born daughter named after her mother
    Fourth born daughter named after her mother's oldest sister
    Fifth born daughter named after her mother's 2nd oldest sister
    or her father's oldest sister
So if John Coffee, the baby in the first record, is the third born son OR the first born son of John Coffee Sr., who was in turn the first born son of a John Coffee, and John Coffee in the second record is the fourth born son of John Coffee who is a 1st or 2nd cousin of the John Coffee in the first record, and they both married a Catherine (a very common name in those times), then you will have two separate but similar looking entries in the book that could totally be two different people (and this without considering any of the mother's brothers names).

You run into this a LOT in Irish records. I know I've mentioned before my plethora of Cornelius O'Learys, who all married Marys, and all had kids with the same drat names, and the only way to attempt to untangle them is comparing place of birth, date of birth, maiden name of mother and birth order as extrapolated from the aforementioned naming conventions.

And that's not even getting into the endogamy aspect. LOTS of cousin marriages (because when the same dozen families in the same small hamlet keep marrying each other, or the same clan members...) Mine kept doing it when they came over to the U.S. and settled in the same place!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This happens in Denmark too (way back I mentioned a pair of brothers who had identical names due to being named after their grandfathers), but usually you can sort them apart by closely reading the sponsors (generally there will be 4-6 of them, most with ocupations & all with place names).

I have no idea how to work it out when there's only one or two sponsors and hardly any place names or occupations, even for the parents.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

This happens in Denmark too (way back I mentioned a pair of brothers who had identical names due to being named after their grandfathers), but usually you can sort them apart by closely reading the sponsors (generally there will be 4-6 of them, most with ocupations & all with place names).

I have no idea how to work it out when there's only one or two sponsors and hardly any place names or occupations, even for the parents.

DNA and a whoooole lotta alcohol. Sometimes you can also rely on later records like confirmation or marriage if you can find them. Sometimes obits help, or tombstone inscriptions. Or newspaper articles.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sure, but all we have is that there is one or two guys with identical names, and if there are two, their fathers have identical names and also they were baptised within one day of each other. How can we decide if a later record refers to one or the other? A record that specifically mentions baptismal date is the only thing I can think of.

Also since they're both Coffees, they'll likely be on the same Y-DNA chain...

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 11, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sure, but all we have is that there is one or two guys with identical names, and if there are two, their fathers have identical names and also they were baptised within one day of each other. How can we decide if a later record refers to one or the other? A record that specifically mentions baptismal date is the only thing I can think of.

Also since they're both Coffees, they'll likely be on the same Y-DNA chain...

The mothers won't though. And later records will hopefully list sibling names (which can differ from branch to branch thanks to birth order and introduction of mother's family names) and wives will also help differentiate. DNA tracing is all about the percentages and probabilities but it takes both records and DNA to try and narrow it down. Also the father's fathers won't share a name (well, almost never. There's always exceptions like when mom's brother of the proper number has the same name as another relative and if they're far enough apart in age they'll reuse the name, or if they think the elder named one is dying at the time of the birth of the younger then the older recovers, or if its a common double name like Mary Anne vs. Mary Margaret, or John Thomas vs John Paul or Jean-Luke, or...)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea but they're both dudes, so their mDNA won't be passed on right? I guess if they both have sisters with living matrilineal descent, there's a possibility there. That'd require something like identifying both Johns Coffee the Elder's wives and their descent to present day through either their sisters or daughters..

Probates are my best bet when it comes to this. If either of the elder Johns left one, there will be a pretty good record of his then-living descent in there. Also maybe there was a childless Coffee who left something to either of the younger Johns. It's just rare that it's so tight. Usually there's more to work with than just 3 named sponsors.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yea but they're both dudes, so their mDNA won't be passed on right? I guess if they both have sisters with living matrilineal descent, there's a possibility there. That'd require something like identifying both Johns Coffee the Elder's wives and their descent to present day through either their sisters or daughters..
You're getting too specific. You don't need to go to mt or Y DNA right off the bat, you can just use autosomal DNA to tease out the various lines and whether who on which side is a maternal or paternal link (again, ignoring endogamy, which complicates the hell out of it). And that would be the 'identify their descent to present day through descendants' part. Often times, you have to go 'down and out' to go back up. At least among American matches, this tends to get easier as times get more modern and descendants intermarry outside the traditional population group.

Let's take John Coffee, for instance. He's my great-grandfather, so I know his line of descent down to me, at the very least. I know he came to the U.S., and I can usually find out when, assuming he came, as most Irish did, around the time of Famine (1840s). Then I can see if any family members came with by checking census records for people of the same name, around the same age, who live nearby, and who came from the same general location (let's say county) back in the Auld Country. I use DNA matches, along with obituaries or family bibles or the fact I am still actually in touch with those cousins to map out the various lines of descent, and I can tease them out fairly easily by birthdate, kids, who they married ,etc. So now I have at least two sibling descendants of my John Coffee, I know their approximate birth (or at least baptismal) dates, I know where they came from and when.

I check DNA matches still in that area in Ireland. I check Irish message boards dedicated to genealogy (thanks to the Diaspora from the Famine years, counties Cork, Kerry and Mayo all have pretty extensive genealogy societies and most have at least some presence online). I discover one or two more siblings who came to different parts of America than my John and the one sibling I found. I find a cousin. Etc etc. Using DNA I track roughly how closely I am potentially related to them, I find siblings names by combing through baptismal records, I don't ignore death records (a disturbing number of children died young before the advent of modern medicine like antibiotics and vaccines and clean water sources) and discover a few that died young so I can cross them off the list of potential matches, I can see that several of the siblings that came here married Italians or Germans or whoever so can use those DNA markers to delineate branches of the family and trace my way back up. You also do chromosome mapping to identify various branches and how close they are and use triangulation. Then you set out to prove it through whatever documentation you can find. Its kind of amazing sometimes how old Irish people remember their grandfather's brother who 'went to Amerikay and ne'er was heard from again' or what have you, and maybe still live in the same house they were born in that's been in the family for generations.

quote:

Probates are my best bet when it comes to this. If either of the elder Johns left one, there will be a pretty good record of his then-living descent in there. Also maybe there was a childless Coffee who left something to either of the younger Johns. It's just rare that it's so tight. Usually there's more to work with than just 3 named sponsors.
Probates are great when you can get them but in this area, at this time, people were dirt drat poor. Like dead in a ditch because they couldn't afford to bury him poor. They were often renters so didn't own property (which is why records like Griffith's Valuation are so drat valuable, but again, you'll run into issues with same-named family settling right next to each other and need to tease out who is who, usually by seeing who took over the land when one died or what have you, but at least you know whereabouts they physically located and can find the nearest parish as the crow flies to possibly figure out which might be which then test your hypothesis). But yeah at this point its DNA, Petty Sessions records, Tithe or valuation books, or local papers/tombstones/obits/old people who remember everthing. Often times though, people will hit a wall right about 1800 or so, because of the laws against educating Catholics, letting them own land, or letting them keep track of baptisms. Sometimes it gets exciting when someone finds an old notebook where baptismal records were hidden among like, farm figures or what have you, or sometimes you'll find some 'converted' to Anglicism to join the military then when they retired in the New World went right back to Catholicism.

All this crap is why its also important to know your history when you're doing your genealogy :D

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Crossposting from PYF, a helpful goon redirected me.

I got my results back yesterday. Nothing too surprising, ancestry associations are mainly French & German/British & Irish/Broadly Northwestern European. The relative finder is only suggesting xth cousins (hundreds and hundreds of them in the US) that participated, nothing close. I am more Neanderthal than 70% of participants, still less than 2%, don't know if it's enough to claim minority status.

Overall, not earth-shattering for me personally, but still interesting. They give you a ton of reports. Recommended.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

So if John Coffee, the baby in the first record, is the third born son OR the first born son of John Coffee Sr., who was in turn the first born son of a John Coffee, and John Coffee in the second record is the fourth born son of John Coffee who is a 1st or 2nd cousin of the John Coffee in the first record, and they both married a Catherine (a very common name in those times), then you will have two separate but similar looking entries in the book that could totally be two different people (and this without considering any of the mother's brothers names).

You run into this a LOT in Irish records. I know I've mentioned before my plethora of Cornelius O'Learys, who all married Marys, and all had kids with the same drat names, and the only way to attempt to untangle them is comparing place of birth, date of birth, maiden name of mother and birth order as extrapolated from the aforementioned naming conventions.

And that's not even getting into the endogamy aspect. LOTS of cousin marriages (because when the same dozen families in the same small hamlet keep marrying each other, or the same clan members...) Mine kept doing it when they came over to the U.S. and settled in the same place!

Just last week I ran into a situation where I have no idea which set of parents a child belongs to because everyone has the same names. My gut says it's the first child of the oldest son [Jean Pierre] and his wife/maternal first cousin [Marie Emelie], but it is quite possible it's the last child of the father [also Jean Pierre] and his wife/maternal first cousin [also Marie Emelie]. I honestly can't even think of how to prove which set of parents the poor kid goes with.

I have also had the distinct displeasure of trying to untangle four related gentlemen all named Jean Baptiste residing in the same place who were born and died months apart. :suicide: Bet you can't guess the name of the church they were all baptized in. It was St. Jean Baptiste

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

lol yeah, I keep telling myself it could be worse, there's a lot of Johns and Marys but I've been able to pick out a few family groups and I found a (low quality) record on ancestry that might eliminate one of the four candidates of interest if I can validate what it showed. The low population i think is working in my favour. On the other hand, my guy of interest left Ireland earlier than most so the records I'm working off are like a little island of knowledge in a sea of black that's just emerged out of the mists of time. I'm conscious that he could well have just never have had his baptism recorded or the records were destroyed, meaning all the work I'm doing might show nothing except that he's the first of person of record.

p.s. Thanks again for your replies last week. I was hoping to show some work and maybe get help drawing conclusions but the magic of spreadsheets works more slowly than I thought and it's going to take a while before I have anything worth effortposting about but I will get back at some point with whatever I end up with.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Just last week I ran into a situation where I have no idea which set of parents a child belongs to because everyone has the same names. My gut says it's the first child of the oldest son [Jean Pierre] and his wife/maternal first cousin [Marie Emelie], but it is quite possible it's the last child of the father [also Jean Pierre] and his wife/maternal first cousin [also Marie Emelie]. I honestly can't even think of how to prove which set of parents the poor kid goes with.

I have also had the distinct displeasure of trying to untangle four related gentlemen all named Jean Baptiste residing in the same place who were born and died months apart. :suicide: Bet you can't guess the name of the church they were all baptized in. It was St. Jean Baptiste

Look at careers (sometimes they'll differentiate Jean Pierre the fisherman with Jean Pierre the carpenter), place of birth (Jean Pierre born on St. Agnes street vs. Jean Pierre son of Jean Pierre the voyageur and Agnes) and who the baptismal sponsors are (yes, I have actually teased out a German line by taking a few months to do the family trees of the baptismal sponsors, and figuring out which were relatives vs. friends, and then how they were related until I found the sister of my x ggm was the sponsor for her namesake 3rd born kid and then 3ggm returned the favor). Its a pain in the rear end but hey, if you really want to get back ONE MORE generation sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Whoa, vikings weren't this homogenous mass of Aryan purity? Who'duv thunk?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/09/scientists-raid-viking-dna-explore-genetic-roots/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Have any of you guys done an ancestry test? What did you discover? I went with 23andme and, as I said earlier, I got my results a few days ago. I wound up finding 1,400 'relatives', but the closest match is only 0.75% DNA shared, so it's all quite distant. Here's the map for the ones that gave their location:

The world:

Europe:

North America:

It makes sense for NA to be that overrepresented, there aren't many people in Europe who take these tests, partly due to restrictions.

Ancestry:

Bog-standard NW European with a few other things thrown in. It says I'm 32.6% 'British & Irish', but I have no one from there in my family tree that I know of, and I'm pretty sure it's just genetic overlap. The western part of Flanders (the historical County, basically) had a lot of Saxon influence, while the more inland regions were settled mainly by Franks.

Now that you mention it, I got this tidbit about my maternal haplogroup:

yas queen

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 16, 2020

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

Look at careers (sometimes they'll differentiate Jean Pierre the fisherman with Jean Pierre the carpenter), place of birth (Jean Pierre born on St. Agnes street vs. Jean Pierre son of Jean Pierre the voyageur and Agnes) and who the baptismal sponsors are (yes, I have actually teased out a German line by taking a few months to do the family trees of the baptismal sponsors, and figuring out which were relatives vs. friends, and then how they were related until I found the sister of my x ggm was the sponsor for her namesake 3rd born kid and then 3ggm returned the favor). Its a pain in the rear end but hey, if you really want to get back ONE MORE generation sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

This is good advice. I've seen professions mentioned in sacramental records in France and Italy, but not on this side of the Atlantic. Side note: I don't know if it was the particular practice of that priest or region or time or what, but I was looking at marriage records that recounted not just the ages and professions of the bride and groom at the time of marriage, but also their fathers' professions and sometimes grandfathers'. Made linking things together so easy. :smug:

The record does list the baptismal sponsors, though, so maybe that will work.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

This is good advice. I've seen professions mentioned in sacramental records in France and Italy, but not on this side of the Atlantic. Side note: I don't know if it was the particular practice of that priest or region or time or what, but I was looking at marriage records that recounted not just the ages and professions of the bride and groom at the time of marriage, but also their fathers' professions and sometimes grandfathers'. Made linking things together so easy. :smug:

The record does list the baptismal sponsors, though, so maybe that will work.

It’s completely up to the priest in question. Some were wonderfully literate with beautiful handwriting and wrote down birth date and birthplace as well as baptism date, mother’s maiden name etc, some were judgmental pricks who would use phrases like ‘product of the abominable conjunction of Dad and Mom’ if they had the temerity to be unwed at the time of conception, some were drunks who didn’t even bother to list moms name just dads and had handwriting that would make a Med school proctor weep.
Very often the sponsors would be siblings or cousins, rarer parents. Ditto for witnesses at weddings. I’ve run into several instances of ‘you do mine and I’ll do yours’ where the witnesses for couple 1 were in turn witnessed by couple one only they listed themselves and ‘Mr first name and Mrs first name (mans last name).’ Cuz they’d just been married you see. It threw me the first two times then the lightbulb went off.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Phlegmish posted:

Have any of you guys done an ancestry test? What did you discover? I went with 23andme and, as I said earlier, I got my results a few days ago. I wound up finding 1,400 'relatives', but the closest match is only 0.75% DNA shared, so it's all quite distant. Here's the map for the ones that gave their location:

The world:

Europe:

North America:

It makes sense for NA to be that overrepresented, there aren't many people in Europe who take these tests, partly due to restrictions.

Ancestry:

Bog-standard NW European with a few other things thrown in. It says I'm 32.6% 'British & Irish', but I have no one from there in my family tree that I know of, and I'm pretty sure it's just genetic overlap. The western part of Flanders (the historical County, basically) had a lot of Saxon influence, while the more inland regions were settled mainly by Franks.

yas queen

My parents both did Ancestry's DNA testing (they offered me to do it but I'm like "no, I'm some combination of your results UNLESS YOU AREN'T TELLING ME SOMETHING") and despite the vast majority of our ancestry being from the Gotland region of Sweden (and some eastern Norway) we somehow picked up Persian and Berber haplotypes. Vikings liked to get it on

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

The world:

Europe:

North America:

Ancestry:

yas queen

Sup distant as hell T2b cousin (1 in 34 23&Me users match this haplogroup lol.). Honestly, 'Western European' is about as accurate as they can really get given the various invasions, wars, goin' a vikings, trade etc etc. that went on in (and beyond, as Bilirubin discovered) the general area. Also, I believe 23&Me only shows you the first 2000 matches.

If you're really curious about the nitty gritty numbers of the various sites and literally everything else about using your DNA to find relatives, I strongly recommend Blaine T. Bettinger's book, The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy. Its pretty much the textbook for genetic genealogy (2nd ed is even written like one, very clear and easy to follow for beginners but experienced researchers can also learn a thing or two).

As far as other Europeans, you'll want to upload your results to FTDNA and MyHeritage, both have a pretty good sample of Northern Europe/Europe in general as the tests have been over there for longer than 23&Me and Ancestry. I find quite a few Irish, English, German and Swedish matches there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

My parents both did Ancestry's DNA testing (they offered me to do it but I'm like "no, I'm some combination of your results UNLESS YOU AREN'T TELLING ME SOMETHING") and despite the vast majority of our ancestry being from the Gotland region of Sweden (and some eastern Norway) we somehow picked up Persian and Berber haplotypes. Vikings liked to get it on

I thought it was interesting myself that I had these small Southern & Eastern European percentages. You would think it makes sense since Europe, Flanders especially, has been a melting pot since the very beginning, but no, quite a few people from my region actually have 0% in both categories. I take it that means I had one or more individual ancestors from these areas within the past few centuries. It doesn't mean much, but it's cool to think about.

In your case, too, I would assume it's somewhat more recent than the Viking era, or it would be typical for Gotlanders in general to have trace amounts of MENA ancestry.

e: I actually read the OP now, and yeah, a lot of genealogy is full of bullshit and errors. That's why it's interesting for as many people as possible to do these DNA tests, to get some cold hard facts.

Oracle posted:

Sup distant as hell T2b cousin (1 in 34 23&Me users match this haplogroup lol.). Honestly, 'Western European' is about as accurate as they can really get given the various invasions, wars, goin' a vikings, trade etc etc. that went on in (and beyond, as Bilirubin discovered) the general area. Also, I believe 23&Me only shows you the first 2000 matches.

If you're really curious about the nitty gritty numbers of the various sites and literally everything else about using your DNA to find relatives, I strongly recommend Blaine T. Bettinger's book, The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy. Its pretty much the textbook for genetic genealogy (2nd ed is even written like one, very clear and easy to follow for beginners but experienced researchers can also learn a thing or two).

As far as other Europeans, you'll want to upload your results to FTDNA and MyHeritage, both have a pretty good sample of Northern Europe/Europe in general as the tests have been over there for longer than 23&Me and Ancestry. I find quite a few Irish, English, German and Swedish matches there.

1 in 34? Wow. I figured H-something would have been most popular among Europeans, I see a lot of people with that. T2b5 is somewhat more exclusive, just 1 in 490 of 23andme customers.

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually not particularly interested in my family tree specifically, as far as I know I have an extremely sedentary Old World background without any major surprises to be expected. I got a kit for my dad as a birthday gift, since he's a genetics buff always going on about ancient human migration patterns etc., and decided why not buy one for myself. Used myself as a test case, so we're actually still waiting for his results. I'm expecting to share 50% of my DNA (exclusively) with him, or mom is going to be #canceled.

It's been an interesting experience, I'm learning a lot about genetics, and I realized that a lot of people who use the site really are just desperately trying to find out more about their family. A lot of users were adopted or otherwise don't know one or both of their biological parents. If I can help with that by spitting into a tube, why not. And you don't even have to be closely matched for them to link your result to other results, exclude certain things, etc. If you've been on the fence about getting one of these tests, I'd recommend it.

How many 'Relatives' did you end up with? Did you hit the 2,000 cap that apparently exists? I assume so, if I ended up with hundreds of American relatives somehow, an actual American probably has thousands and thousands of people meeting the threshold.

Randaconda posted:

EDIT: Just checked, 98.8 percent white
lol
just lol

I've seen people with 100% European, and I wonder how that's even possible since the Mediterranean has never been all that significant as a barrier, and Europe itself is completely mixed.

I guess it makes sense if you consider that most of those non-European people have long been assimilated and spread out among the wider population, so what it means to be '100% European' or 'x% Northwestern European' already includes the older admixture.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 20, 2020